JOB TITLE: Customer Service Assistant
Reports to: Customer Service Manager
Hours of work: Flexible rota system
Overall Purpose of the Job
To be the initial point of contact for all students, members and visitors at The Circus Space and
to book customers into classes, courses and performances. To help meet income targets
through dealing with bookings and enquiries in a friendly, efficient and effective way and
through assisting in promoting activities and events to customers. To carry out procedures that
are appropriate for the effective operation of The Circus Space communication and booking
systems, including maintenance of the customer database, the handling of money and the
security of the building. To maintain the Front of House area ensuring it is kept clean and tidy at
1. To ensure visitors are welcomed and dealt with efficiently in a friendly and pleasant
manner. To ensure that they are directed to the appropriate member of staff, spaces or
class. To act professionally and efficiently, using tact, diplomacy and discretion with staff,
visitors, members, contractors and the general public. To ensure that all users of The Circus
Space are familiar with its rules and regulations.
2. To deal with enquiries, requests and bookings made by telephone, email and by post and,
when required, directing them to the appropriate member of staff.
3. To follow the established booking procedures, including marking in attendance, sending
confirmation letters, and making bookings for existing/future courses. To ensure that all class
and course attendees are signed up members, and that fees are paid, through checking
4. Taking bookings for performances at The Circus Space and/ or at Circus Space Productions
at external venues.
5. To use correct booking procedures and to operate the PDQ machine carrying out readings
and storing the journals appropriately.
6. To reconcile takings at the end of each shift worked.
7. To be a source of information to all customers, students, members and visitors.
8. To ensure all incoming mail is forwarded to the relevant department/staff, and that out-
going mail is correctly stamped and marked, and posted daily.
9. Ensuring The Circus Space database is maintained, updated with all new members and
that routine housekeeping tasks are undertaken to keep data clean.
10. To be aware of all-forthcoming courses, shows and events at The Circus Space and the
necessary information relating to these.
11. To be responsible for the selling of Circus Space merchandise.
12. To ensure that any money behind the Front of House desk is secure in the safe whenever it is
not required for its specific purpose.
13. To ensure that there is always a supply of necessary forms, stationery and information
available in the Front of House area, including photocopying information when needed.
Ensuring that there is always a supply of up-to-date publicity material at Reception for The
Circus Space and the various programme areas.
14. To undertake the correct opening and closing procedures.
15. To hold and be responsible for the reception desk key box, ensuring keys are correctly
signed in and out.
16. To be responsible as a Duty First Aider & Deputy Fire Warden upon receiving training.
17. To assist in the training of new customer service assistants.
18. To be flexible in approach to hours of work to cover additional shifts when colleagues are
on leave or absent due to sickness [overtime will be payable at an hourly rate].
19. To undertake administrative tasks as requested by your line manager to support the work of
the department and organisation
20. To take on any other tasks that are reasonably requested of you.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
• Previous experience working in customer service and/or reception role.
• A commitment to providing excellent customer service.
• The ability and the confidence to communicate clearly, accurately and effectively in
English, in person or on the telephone.
• Excellent inter-personal skills, and the ability to be tactful, diplomatic, approachable, helpful
• The ability to work on own initiative, organising work and time effectively and to be able to
• To take responsibility for own actions.
• A thorough and systematic approach to routine administrative tasks and paperwork with the
particular need to paying attention to detail and accuracy.
• The ability to deal with routine financial data.
• Experience of financial reconciliation.
• Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office.
• Previous experience of using booking systems [preferably Patron Edge] in an arts/ leisure
environment [This would be an advantage but is not essential as training will be provided]
• A knowledge of and interest in The Circus Space.