Requisition Number: 3311
Classification Title: Planner I
Posted On: May 11, 2009
Closing Date - 11:00pm on: May 25, 2009
Union: CSU 52
Number of Openings (up to): 1 - Temporary Full-time
Department: Planning Policy Section (Planning and Development Department)
Work Location(s) Allstream Tower, 10250 - 101 St (007), T5J 3P4
Description: This temporary position may continue approximately up to 11 months.
The Policy Section of the Planning and Development Department has a temporary position that requires a self -motivated individual to be responsible for
• Designing and conducting research on existing urban land development, planning issues, development trends and development alternatives
within the context of Edmonton's Municipal Development Plan project.
• Planning, organizing and conducting public information and consultation programs.
• Preparing and delivering professional reports on matters related to land use, planning, land development, intermunicipal planning and other
• Applying intermunicipal/regional planning expertise to research and policy development.
• Building strong intermunicipal working relationships, using interest-based communication skills and approaches.
• Evaluating the impact of provincial and regional policies on the draft Municipal Development Plan
• Evaluating the impact of surrounding jurisdictions' policies and land use proposals on the City of Edmonton and preparing appropriate
• Assisting in the review of planning and development applications.
• Performing other related duties as required.
Job Requirements :
• Bachelor's degree in Urban Planning or a related field of study.
• Minimum of t w o (2) years related planning experience.
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of land use planning, intermunicipal planning and regional planning, including applicable land use
and development regulations and requirements.
• Demonstrated ability to conduct quantitative, qualitative and policy research using a variety of research methods.
• Ability to express ideas effectively, orally and in writing and excellent organizational, report writing and presentation skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work with community groups and establish and maintain effective working relationships in a multi-
disciplinary team environment.
• Interest based communication skills.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office is required; knowledge of GIS and POSSE applications would be an asset.
• Alberta Community Planner (ACP) registration or Membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners is desirable.
• Candidates with less than t w o (2) years of experience may be considered at the Opportunity Concept level and pay scale.
HOURS OF WORK:
33.75 hours per week, Monday - Friday. Hours of work may be subject to the terms and conditions of a variable hours of work program.
21M, Salary Grade: 030 Job Level, $34.00 - $42.96 (Hourly); $2,294.93 - $2,899.80 (Bi-Weekly), $59,897.74 - $75,684.78 (Annually). Opportunity
Concept Level: $24.99 - $32.55 (Hourly); $1,687.37 - $2,197.19 (Bi-Weekly); $44,040.23 - $57,346.72 (Annually). The rates quoted are in accordance
with a collective agreement between the Union and the City of Edmonton. This union contract is currently under negotiation.
Civic Service Union 52 members are requested to send a copy of their application for this competition to the union office.
The City of Edmonton thanks all applicants for their interest in this employment opportunity; however, only those candidates considered for the position
will be contacted.
The Province of Alberta is a signatory to the federal Agreement on Internal Trade and the Trade, Investment and Labour Mobility Agreement
with British Columbia. The City of Edmonton will accept extra-provincial qualifications which are accepted by Alberta regulatory authorities
and legislation in accord with those Agreements. For more information, kindly contact Government of Alberta, Advanced Education and Technology
with respect to trade requirements, or the Alberta professional regulatory body responsible for certification.
HUMAN RESOURCES CONSULTANT: MM/MC
To apply online and for further details, visit www.edmonton.ca/careers
Applications can also be faxed to (780) 496-8063 or submitted in the drop-off box at the Employment Centre, Main Floor, City Hall, #1 Sir Winston Churchill
Square, Edmonton, AB, T5J 2R7.