Tips for Staying Motivated
Stay motivated! - Without motivation, you'll soon forget why you're running, find
excuses to miss workouts, and gradually fall out of your exercise habit.
Pull out all the tricks you can think of. Collect inspirational quotes and put them on your
refrigerator or in your office. Seek out stories of other runners and individuals who have
overcome significant obstacles to succeed at their quests. Set lots of attainable short-
term goals. Make them easy, so you'll be sure to achieve them. When you achieve one,
quickly establish your next one.
Some specific motivation tips include:
1. Set Goals – immediate, short and long term. An example of immediate goals
could be that while you are running select a target object and run to that and
continue doing that over and over, it will feel like you are meeting several
easier goals. A short term goal example could be - to increase running time
by one minute a week. A long term goals example could be - by the end of
three months I am going to be able to run for a solid twenty minutes.
2. Utilize a training log – this will really help you see how far you have
progressed and keep you going to reach your final goal.
3. Implement a Buddy System – have a friend join you, choose a goal that
interests both and help motivate each other to get there.
4. Set completion goals, not speed goals – Don’t worry about your speed, just
go out there and get your twenty or thirty minutes in.
5. Reward yourself – When you reach your goals reward your self, it will
motivate you to work toward your next reward.
Always keep your goals SMART:
Being creative with your workout will add new life to your running.