munich_healthinsurance by liwenting


									Health Insurance

In general, health insurance coverage for students is mandatory in the Federal Republic of Germany

All students who study in Germany must prove, when they register at a university and apply for a residence
permit, that they have adequate* health insurance coverage (either with a private insurance company or within
the state health insurance system).

Students from countries with whom the Federal Republic of Germany has reciprocal social security agreement
(the EU countries, the EEA countries and Switzerland) should obtain the EU Certificate E 111 in their home
country or the necessary European insurance identity card
Students from EU/EEA countries who are privately insured in their home countries, must obtain written
confirmation of complete coverage for the entire period of study from their home insurance companies. These
students need not join the German state health insurance system. Travel health insurance policies are not

Students from non-EU and non-EEA countries, as well as students from countries with whom the Federal
Republic of Germany does not have a reciprocal social security agreement, must provide proof that they have
sufficient health insurance coverage for Germany. Otherwise, they must take out a student health insurance
policy in the Germany state health insurance system (gesetzliche Krankenkasse). This is only possible for
students under the age of 30, who have studied less than 14 semesters
(= 7 years), and who are not registered as a PhD students.

Currently, the monthly premium for such a student policy is about 54 Euro.

Insurance coverage must include:
- Both medical and dental treatment
- Medications, bandages, medical aids
- Hospitalization
- Medical treatment during rehabilitation
- Medical treatment during pregnancy and birth

You must go with the relevant EU Certificate, or with proof of adequate health insurance coverage to one of the
organizations within the German state health insurance system (gesetzliche Krankenkasse), a number of which
are listed below. There you will receive the health insurance documents you need to enrol and get a residence
permit (two documents).

Some “gesetzliche Krankenkassen”

Techniker Krankenkasse (TK), München
Leopoldstr. 13 A, Mensagebäude
80802 München (U3/U6, Station: Giselastraße)
Tel. 089/34 02 94 88 or 089/49069-505, Fax: 089/49069501,
Office hours: Monday-Thursday from        10.00 to 15.00 hours
              Friday                      10.00 to 14.00 hours

Deutsche Angestellten Krankenkasse (DAK), München
Bayerstr. 21,
80335 München
Tel. 089/ 552360, Fax: 089/55236119
Office hours: Monday-Wednesday from 8.00 to 16. 00 hours
              Thursday from 8.00 to 17.00 hours, Friday from 8.00 to 13.00 hours

Kaufmännische Krankenkasse (KKH), München
Sonnenstr. 1 (U/S-Bahn, the nearest station is „Karlsplatz/Stachus)
80331 München
Tel. 089/559802-0, Fax: 089/ 559802-33
Office hours: Monday-Thursday from           8.00 to 18.00 hours,
              Friday from                    8.00 to 16.00 hours

Allgemeine Ortskrankenkasse (AOK), München
Landsbergerstr. 150-152 (The nearest station is „Barthstrasse“, Tramway 18/19)
80339 München
Tel. 089/5444 - 0, Fax 5444-1919
Office hours: Monday-Wednesday from 8.00 to 16.30 hours
              Thursday from 8.00 to 17.30 hours
              Friday from 8.00 to 15.00 hours                                          Last update 23.11.06

To top