Top Tips for Optimal Vulnerability Management
Protecting valuable data, customer information, critical network assets and intellectual
property are no longer left to the discretion of businesses. Today, these are made
mandatory by a set of government regulations, in order to ensure safety and security in
the business environment.
Constant threats to enterprise networks by way of sophisticated intrusions further
reinforce the need for an efficient vulnerability management solution. While there is no
such thing as being too safe, with new vulnerabilities emerging every day, even those
enterprises which consider their systems and assets as being completely secure are not
truly so. Therefore the need of the hour is a solution that can beat network weakness
and overcome lapses. It should:
• determine all your assets across networks and identify the corresponding host
• prioritize your enterprise assets by grouping them according to their innate
business-centric critical values
• establish and identify potential risks automatically and report them to the
• find remedies for any vulnerabilities or risks
• follow-up on any threats constantly through regular audits
How to get the best vulnerability management solution?
Most organizations worry for the It security compliance of their assets. Therefore
managing these assets assumes immense importance in any enterprise. However, a
proactive solution can assist enterprises by reducing misuse of assets and can effectively
manage vulnerabilities while also aiding in efficient vendor management. Here’s a
checklist you can follow while choosing your vulnerability management solution:
• Is it an integrated solution that can manage not just all the functions but also
data and tasks associated with your enterprise assets and its related
• Does it inherently posses a It compliance management feature which can
automatically and continuously scan for identifying potential susceptibilities in
your enterprise’s network infrastructure?
• Can it scan and integrate compliance related information from diverse sources
like databases, file systems, vulnerability scanners etc? Also, can it further
match this against compliance signatures?
• Does it provide you with accurate asset discovery?
• Can it automatically gather data from both technology and non-technology
sources like people and mapping data to regulations and standards?
• Can it link assets to various controls?
• Is it able to provide an exhaustive audit trail to enable compliance related
• Is it capable of providing management dashboards for compliance status with
the added ability to enable drilling down irrespective of departments and
It can never be stressed enough that vulnerability management is a significant
component of any enterprise’s security solution because it is perhaps the only way to
ensure hands-on detection of susceptibilities in your network infrastructure. So follow
the checklist above, and choose wisely while opting for a vulnerability management
solution that best suits your business needs.