Oncology Nursing Society (ONS)
2011 EXCELLENCE AWARDS
The Oncology Nursing Society (ONS) welcomes all nominations for the Excellence Awards. Please
read the procedures below and complete all of the required information, then email the completed
Nomination Packet to email@example.com. The packet must be received not later than October 31,
2010, 5 pm ET (1700 hrs).
IMPORTANT INFORMATION, PLEASE READ:
The Award applications will be reviewed blindly by the Award Reviewers. Please avoid using the
nominee’s first and last name, place of employment, job title or anything else that may reveal their
identity on the Nominator’s Narrative Statement, Nominee’s Personal Statement, letters of
recommendation, curriculum vitae (Resume), etc. However, the nomination form below must
contain the nominee’s first and last name, address and telephone numbers in the gray boxes for
identifying purposes that will only be used by the ONS Awards Team. We appreciate your efforts
in assisting us to assure that every nominee is scored fairly.
1. Anyone can submit the completed nomination packet.
2. The nominee must be a registered nurse with at least two years of oncology experience and an
active member of the Oncology Nursing Society.
3. The completed nomination packet (Nomination Form, curriculum vitae, two letters of support
(no more than two will be accepted; one of them can include the nominator statement), and
nominee’s personal statement) is the responsibility of the Nominator and must be emailed to
firstname.lastname@example.org and received not later than October 31, 2010, 5pm, ET (1700 hrs).
4. Within three business days, the ONS National Office will email confirmation of receipt of the
completed nomination packet.
5. Incomplete application packets will be returned to the nominator and will not be considered
by the Awards Review Team if completed packet is not received by the deadline.
6. Application packets received after October 31, 2010, 5 pm, ET (1700 hrs) will be returned
to the nominator and will not be considered by the Awards Review Team.
7. The completed nomination packet is considered confidential.
8. The Awards Review Team reviews all nominations and makes recommendations to the ONS
Board of Directors.
9. The ONS Board of Directors will approve the recipient of the award. The ONS
Membership/Leadership Director will notify the recipient.
Directions for Completing the Nomination Form
1. Click directly on each shaded box below and enter the required information. The shaded box
remains as you type.
2. Complete the two essays as it relates to the award. Please be concise. You, however, are not
limited to the amount of space to respond to the essays. The essay responses can continue on
3. Choose one award only per nomination packet. On the nomination form:
a. Choose an award by clicking its selection box.
b. Click the link of the chosen award to view its criteria.
4. Complete all required information.
5. Save this Nomination Form document to your computer.
6. Send Nomination Packet (as an email attachment) including Nomination Form, two letters of
support (no more than two will be accepted; one of them can include the nominator
statement), and resume/curriculum vitae, to email@example.com. Application must be
submitted electronically (by email only) to be accepted.
ONS must receive completed Nomination Packet via email only by
October 31, 2010, 5pm, ET (1700 hrs).
(Completed by Nominator)
I nominate for the following award:
(Below, choose one award only per application. Click its link to view criteria.)
EXCELLENCE IN BLOOD AND MARROW EXCELLENCE IN SURVIVOR ADVOCACY
TRANSPLANTATION AWARD AWARD
EXCELLENCE IN CANCER PREVENTION AND EXCELLENCE IN PATIENT/PUBLIC
EARLY DETECTION AWARD EDUCATION AWARDS
EXCELLENCE IN CARE OF THE OLDER ADULT EXCELLENCE IN RADIATION THERAPY
WITH CANCER AWARD NURSING AWARD
EXCELLENCE IN MEDICAL ONCOLOGY AWARD LINDA ARENTH EXCELLENCE IN CANCER
NURSING MANAGEMENT AWARD
ONS EXCELLENCE IN ONCOLOGY NURSING
HEALTH POLICY AND ADVOCACY AWARD MARY NOWOTNY EXCELLENCE IN CANCER
NURSING EDUCATION AWARD
EXCELLENCE IN SURGICAL ONCOLOGY
TELPHONE: (HOME) (WORK)
TELPHONE: (HOME) (WORK)
(Completed by the Nominator)
Write a narrative statement detailing how the nominee has met the established criteria.
NOMINEE’S PERSONAL STATEMENT
(Completed by the Nominee)
Narrative Statement detailing how you, the nominee, have met the established criteria:
GENERAL SCORING CRITERIA
To assist you in completing the 2011 Excellence Award nomination packet, the scoring criteria
for judging this nomination packet is as follows:
1. Description of experience and current responsibilities
2. Evidence of why the nominee should be recognized for excellence.
(Examples are: outstanding practice in oncology or/and an expert in their field; identifies,
designs and implements innovative strategies based on specific requirements or recommended
needs of patients, families, communities, or workplace; quality of programs implemented by
the nominee; participating in non-educational activities which support and contribute to
cancer nursing, speaking and presentations
3. Continuing education
4. Teaching other professionals and/or serving as a role model
5. Practice improvements implemented
6. Patient care or education activities
The weight of each criterion is specific to each award. Click link of award (page 2) for detailed criteria.
ATTACHMENTS TO THIS NOMINATION FORM MUST INCLUDE:
Two letters of support from any of the following categories (if not self nominating, the
nominator’s statement (above) can be counted as one):
Resume/Curriculum vitae (CV)
Nominee’s personal statement (above)
To be accepted, application packets with enclosures must be submitted by email only to:
and must be received no later than
October 31, 2010, 5pm ET (1700 hrs)
ONS Awards Team
Application packets received after the nomination deadline will be returned to the nominator and will
not be considered by the Awards Review Team.