PIMA COMMUNITY COLLEGE
ITH 120 Human Resource Management Basics
Initiator: Marty Jansen, Paul Sturm, CEU/Credits: 1.00
Linda Andrews, Greg Wilson, Lecture: 1.00
Marcia Wojsko Lab Periods:
Overview and concepts in the basics of human resources management skills, performance
appraisals, the drug-free workplace, preventing violence in the workplace, and discipline. Includes the
Age Discrimination Employment Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), sexual
harassment, feedback and career planning.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
1. Demonstrate how 360-degree feedback systems are administered.
2. Create a strategy for successful implementation of a 360-degree feedback system.
3. Employ the critical elements of the performance appraisal process.
4. Create and maintain a drug-free work environment.
5. Implement a violence prevention program.
6. Identify the elements of an effective workplace discipline policy.
7. Develop network contacts.
8. Conduct a fair, objective investigation of an employee disciplinary incident.
9. Evaluate the effectiveness and value of a sexual harassment policy.
10. Comply with regulations developed by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
11. Understand the intent and extent of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
I. Employee Interaction
A. 360° Feedback: Implementation
B. 360° Feedback: Overview
C. Basics of Performance Appraisal
D. An Effective Approach to Employee Discipline
E. Methods of Discipline
F. Create and Maintain a Drug-Free Workplace
G. Preventing Violence in the Workplace
H. Career Path Management
I. Career Development
J. Career Planning: Networking
II. Sexual Harassment
A. Sexual Harassment: Basic Guidelines
B. Sexual Harassment: Employer Guide
C. Sexual Harassment: Legal Basics
D. Sexual Harassment: Managing Risk
E. Sexual Harassment: Myths and Facts
III. Federal Policies
A. Managing Under the Age Discrimination Employment Act
B. Understanding the Americans with Disabilities Act