The Scarlet Letter Name:
Internet Activity Worksheet #1
Answer the following questions after reading “Chapter 7: The Scarlet Letter” on line.
1. In September of 1633 Robert Cole was punished for being a drunk. What was his
2. In 1638 and 1656 two people were sentenced to wear letters on their garments for
criminal acts. What letters were used and what criminal activity did those letters
3. If a person were to “interrupt or oppose a preacher in season of worship,” what
punishment would that person receive?
4. Joan Andrews of York, Maine was given a humiliation punishment. What was
her crime and what was her punishment?
Questions for “Crime and Punishment”
5. What are the four most severe punishments named in this article, and what types
of offenses would merit these punishments?
6. What are the two most common forms of public humiliation punishments?
7. Name three things often tossed at folks during their public humiliation?
8. What might possibly happen to one’s ears while they are in the pillory?
9. Where were most of these punishments carried out and why?
10. What were the crowd’s reaction to these punishments?