This is an edited version of a Board paper
THE AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND SCHOOL OF GOVERNMENT LIMITED
(ACN 102 908 118)
BOARD MEETING 4 AUGUST 2005– EFP UPDATE: PACIFIC SCHOLARS
1. To update the Board about selection of Pacific Scholars for the EFP program in
2. The Pacific Islands Scholarships for Governance Program was announced by the
Australian Prime Minister during the launch of the School. The goal of the
program is to enhance governance in the Pacific region. Each year the
Australian Government will fund five senior public servants from the Pacific
Islands to work in an appropriate Australian government agency, and to attend
the Executive Fellows Program.
3. In 2004 the work placement for the scholars was three months. On review of the
program it was decided to shorten this to two months.
4. AusAID in Canberra organises promotion of the scheme and gathering of
applications, through their Pacific posts. Work placements are organised by the
Australian Public Service Commission. ANZSOG manages all other aspects of
5. The experience of the first scholars has led to planned improvements.
6. Scholars should arrive in Canberra on 8 September. They will dine with Dr Peter
Shergold during a two day briefing.
7. Further information about placements and other details will be provided to the
Board at the next meeting.
8. That the Board note this report.
25 July 2005