Kmart W2 Forms 1 GUIDE by kmg72082

VIEWS: 582 PAGES: 28

More Info


                  In the Applied Plant Sciences Graduate Program

                      Departments of Agronomy and Plant Genetics
                              and Horticultural Sciences
                               University of Minnesota
                                  St. Paul, Minnesota


Revised 9/14/09

September 2009

TO: New Graduate Students

Welcome to the Applied Plant Sciences Graduate Program. We're glad you're here and we hope
you will find your stay at the University of Minnesota to be challenging, rewarding, and enjoyable.

The intent of this booklet is to give you a brief introduction to the departments (Agronomy and
Plant Genetics and Horticultural Science) and to the St. Paul and Minneapolis Campuses. It also
contains information on enrolling for classes and many other items we hope will be useful. Your
comments and suggestions for improvements of this booklet are always welcome; please give
your ideas to the 2008-2009 Applied Plant Sciences Graduate Student Association Officers:

President – Chris Schaefer (
Vice-President – Brian Seda (
Secretary – Cristal Cisneros (
Treasurer – Jennifer Flynn (
COGS Rep –Addie Thompson (

Agronomy/Agroecology – Adria Fernandez (
Plant Breeding – Laci High (
Horticulture – Jennifer Boldt (

In addition to this guide, several other resources which you may find helpful are:
Information for new students:
Information for current students from the graduate school:
Graduate Student Survival Guide (published by Council of Graduate Students):
Graduate and Professional Student Assembly:
Boynton Health Services
Computing resources:
Campus dining:

        Guidelines for Graduate Assistants. Explains University rules pertaining to research
        assistants. Available from Graduate Assistants Office or at web site:

        Graduate Student Policy and Procedures. A notebook maintained by Jeanne Davy,
        Administrative Director in Agronomy and Plant Genetics, 411 Borlaug Hall.

        Graduate School University of Minnesota Bulletin. Especially helpful in outlining
        procedures which must be followed to meet Graduate School requirements in writing and
Revised 9/14/09

        defending a thesis or taking the preliminary examinations. It also lists class descriptions
        and several fellowships or awards which are available through the Graduate School.
        More information on awards can also be obtained from the Director of Graduate Studies
        in your area, and the Fellowship Office at 422 Johnston.

        Graduate Program in Applied Plant Sciences. This lists departmental requirements for
        obtaining a graduate degree and is available from your Director of Graduate Studies or at
        web site:

                            WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU ARRIVE

The first thing to do when you arrive is to visit with your advisor. If you do not know where his/her
office or lab is located, contact the Agronomy office (411 Borlaug, telephone 612-625-7773) or
the Horticulture office (305 Alderman Hall, telephone 612-625-5300). Once you have met your
advisor and the other graduate students in your lab, they should take you through the steps listed
below. However, if someone forgets and these things are not done within a week or two of your
arrival, be sure to ask someone about it, or visit these offices yourself. Students and staff here
are very friendly and more than willing to help.

1.      Your department head, Dr. Nancy Ehlke – Agronomy and Plant Genetics, Dr. Emily
        Hoover – Horticultural Science and Jim Anderson, the Director of Graduate Studies
        (DGS), will want to meet you. If your advisor does not introduce you to these people
        within a week, ask him/her or a fellow student to do so, or just drop in yourself. The DGS
        will give you a guide to degree requirements and recommended courses when you first

2.      Visit the main office (411 Borlaug or 305 Alderman). Jeanne Davy in Agronomy and
        Stephanie Betterman in Horticulture are in charge of payroll. They will give you the
        necessary forms to fill out. They will also assign you a desk in a grad student office.
        Marilyn Swanson in Agronomy or Tom Boyle in Horticulture can give you keys for your
        office, lab and the building. A $5.00 deposit will be collected for each key; this will be
        refunded when the keys are returned.

3.      Within a month or so of your arrival, someone will contact you to take your picture. These
        are posted on a board outside of 411 Borlaug or 305 Alderman. The photos help faculty,
        staff, and other students get to know you more quickly.

4.      You can get your student I.D. at the U Card Office located in Coffman Memorial
        Union, Room G22. Office hours are weekdays: 8:30 to 4:00pm. The telephone
        number is 612-626-9900. You may also start a bank account with Twin Cities Federal
        (TCF) bank at the same location and have your U Card connected to it.

        Two other locations are also available, both with limited schedules:
               St. Paul Gym 1536 N Cleveland Avenue, St. Paul Campus
               Phone: 612-625-8283

                  University Recreation Center 1906 University Avenue SE
                  Phone: 612-625-6800

5.      To activate your e-mail account, use the Web address: You will
        need to enter your Social Security Number, Student ID Number and your date of birth.
        They will ask you what you want your password to be. International students will need to
        contact ADCS directly at 612-626-4276. Contact ADCS for further information.

Revised 9/14/09

        Your Internet account gives you 50 hours per month of modem access, as well as 20MB
        of file storage space on a University server, which can also be used for a personal web

6.      For registration, call the Registrar at 612-624-5200 or go to the Graduate School, 309
        Johnston Hall, to make certain that you have no holds on your record that will prevent
        you from registering. Holds might be the result of missing transcripts, required
        immunizations, or some other missing forms. You may register for classes for the first
        time at the registration office on the St. Paul campus in 130 Coffey Hall, or via the
        Internet. Procedures for registering change slightly each year. The best source of current
        information is at . (It is easiest if you ask a fellow student to help
        with registration the first time through.)

                               INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
As soon as you arrive in Minnesota:

1.      See your advisor.

2.      Go to ISSS (International Student and Scholar Services), 612-626-7100, 190 Hubert H.
        Humphrey Center, 301 19 Ave South Minneapolis, MN 55455. They will check to make
        sure your paperwork is in order. You will need to attend an International Student

3.      Go to the Graduate School (309 Johnston Hall) or call the Registrar at 612-624-5200 to
        check your registration holds and schedule the orientation day session.

4.      Get your U Card (identification) at room G22 Coffman Union or the St. Paul Gymnasium.
        You may also start a bank account with Twin Cities Federal (TCF) bank at the same
        location and have your U Card connected to it.

5.      Go to Boynton Health Service to get an immunization form and book an appointment for
        your tuberculosis test. If you require vaccinations, the public health services may be less
        expensive than Boynton. To obtain a vaccination schedule contact Ramsey County
        Public Health at schedule at (651) 226-2400.

6.      To obtain a Social Security card, you can go to either 316 N. Robert St., St. Paul or 320
        2 Ave. S, Minneapolis, Phone 1-800-772-1213.

7.      See Jeanne Davy or Stephanie Bettermann for payroll information and go to the payroll
        department after that. Payroll Office: 4-4585, 545 West Bank Office Building (WBOB).

8.      You will need a local identification card. If you know how to drive, you may take your test
        (theoretical and practical) and get a driver’s license.. This is the major identification in the
        USA. You can get a book to study for the exam at the license office (no charge). If you
        do not know how to drive you may get an identification card at the same place where
        driver’s license tests are done. There is an $18 fee to obtain one of these identification
        cards. 1472 University Avenue (corner of Snelling and University). For information, call
        (612) 348-8241 or 348-8240 or visit website at

9.      Regarding Income Taxes - If you earn less than $20,000 you can use the Business
        Reference Desk at Wilson Library to do income taxes.

Revised 9/14/09

                               ORIENTATION PROGRAMS

The Graduate Student Association sponsors an annual orientation program for new graduate
students in Applied Plant Sciences (APS). The Director of Graduate Studies and the Department
Heads along with office staff, and graduate students will be discussing various aspects of the
departments and the university. We hope that this will be an excellent opportunity for you to learn
more about the department and to meet many of the students, faculty, and staff with whom you
will be working.

The New Student Programs office puts on an orientation program at the beginning of each
semester (except summer) for new graduate students. The orientation typically includes campus
tours, library tours, informational presentations about various student services, and a reception.
You are free to attend as many of the events as you please. The tour of the St. Paul Central
Library is probably the most helpful event for APS graduate students. They also hold periodic
writing and research workshops for graduate students. You should get a notice for this orientation
in the mail, if not contact the New Student Program office headed by Tex Ostvig at 612-624-1979.

                             PEOPLE YOU SHOULD KNOW

The Department Head is responsible for the programmatic and fiscal resources in the
Department. The Department Head is available to any graduate student to discuss his/her
education program or the working environment in the Department. The Department Head is
involved in the recruitment of graduate students. Students are encouraged to talk to the
Department Head at any time, especially if difficulties arise between graduate students and their
advisor or committee.

Dr. Nancy Ehlke – Agronomy and Plant Genetics
411 Borlaug Hall                                                                     612-625-8761

Dr. Emily Hoover – Horticultural Science
305 Alderman Hall                                                                    612-625-8114

The DGS is the Applied Plant Science Program’s official liaison with the Graduate School. The
DGS signs all admission applications, student course programs and thesis title forms. The DGS
also serves as an advocate for graduate students regarding interactions within the department.
Graduate students should seek out the DGS regarding any problems relating to interactions with
their advisor, committee, the Graduate School or their graduate education.

Dr. Jim Anderson, DGS, 308 Hayes Hall,                   612-625-9763

Lynne Medgaarden – APS Program Assistant                                            612-625-4742
302 Hayes Hall -

There is a track coordinator assigned to each of the four tracks in the Applied Plant Sciences
major, Applied Plant Science, Agronomy/Agroecology, Horticulture and Plant Breeding. These
individuals can answer questions about your specific track and help you to resolve problems.
Revised 9/14/09

Dr. Paul Porter - Agronomy/Agroecology Track                                         612-625-6223

Dr. Alan Smith - Horticultural Science Track
356 Alderman Hall                                                                    612-624-9290

Dr. Gary Muehlbauer - Plant Breeding/Molecular Genetics Track                        612-625-6228

Dr. Eric Watkins - APS Track
338 Alderman Hall                                                                    612-624-7496

With your advisor, you will choose faculty members for your advisory committee. This committee
will advise you in the selection of coursework that best addresses your educational goals, help you
develop your research project, evaluate your progress in coursework, preliminary exams and
thesis research. This committee also conducts the oral preliminary exam for a Ph.D. candidate,
as well as the final thesis defense.

                                FIRST TIME IN MINNESOTA

Approximately half of Minnesota’s population lives in the Twin Cities metro area including
Minneapolis, St. Paul (the state capital) and suburbs. The two cities are mainly divided by the
Mississippi River, although some parts of Minneapolis are east of the river, and a part of St. Paul
is south of a bend in the river. Normal high temperatures in the area range from 83º F in July to
20º F in January. Suburbs close to the St. Paul campus include Lauderdale, Falcon Heights and

The best sources of apartments available in this area:
St. Paul Pioneer Press newspaper:
University Housing Services:
Star Tribune newspaper: or

Off-Campus Housing lists are maintained in both at the St. Paul Office of the Registrar and
Student Services Center (Room 130 Coffey Hall, 612-624-3731) and the University Housing
Services, (Minneapolis Campus at Comstock Hall, 210 Delaware Street SE, 612-624-2994).
Bailey Hall is the only dormitory located on the St. Paul Campus, and houses both undergraduate
and graduate students. Commonwealth Terrace is a student-run cooperative with two-story
apartments (free electricity, gas and water service) available to married couples and families with
children. The St. Paul Graduate Club at 2089 Carter Avenue is located a block from the St. Paul
Campus. It is a cooperative house for single graduate students.

Utility companies to call to set up home service are:
Telephone:      Qwest Communications
                1-800-244-1111            Monday-Friday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Revised 9/14/09

Electricity and gas:  Xcel Energy 1-800-895-4999
Water and garbage hauling varies by city

The major banks in the Twin Cities are Marquette Banks, Wells Fargo Banks, TCF National Bank,
and USBank. The University of Minnesota students can open U card bank accounts with TCF
Bank. All of the automatic teller machines on campus are owned by TCF Bank, but they work with
cards from most financial institutions.

US Bank
Wells Fargo Bank

Credit unions in the Twin Cities include Affinity Credit Union and Twin City Co-ops Federal Credit

The major grocery store chains in the Twin Cities are Cub, Rainbow, and SuperValu. Higher end
supermarkets are Byerly’s and Lund’s. Some of the grocery stores close to campus are listed

Abu Nader Deli & Grocery
2095 Como Ave ST PAUL MN (651) 647-5391

1601 W Co Rd C ROSEVILLE (651) 633-6949

Cub Foods
Cub HarMar: 2100 Snelling Ave N (651) 633-9740
Cub Midway: 1440 University Ave W (651) 646-1003

Hampden Park Co-Op
928 Raymond Ave SAINT PAUL (651) 646-6686

Jubilee Foods
670 W Co Rd B ROSEVILLE (651) 487-6191

Kowalski's Market
1261 Grand Ave SAINT PAUL (651) 698-3366

Lunds Markets
2128 Ford Parkway MN (651) 698-5845

Rainbow Foods
1201 Larpenteur Av W ROSEVILLE (651) 488-1825 1566 University Av (651) 644-4321

Tim & Tom's Speedy Market
2310 Como Ave SAINT PAUL (651) 645-7360

1300 University Ave W ST PAUL (651) 642-1146
1515 W County Rd B ROSEVILLE (651) 631-0330

Revised 9/14/09

245 Maryland Ave E, St. Paul (651) 488-0555
10 Lake St. W, Minneapolis (612) 827-5491

850 E Co Rd E, Vadnais Hts (651) 486-7001
The two major pharmacies in the Twin Cities are Walgreens and Snyder Drug. Most Targets, K-
Marts, Walmarts, Cubs and Rainbows have pharmacies locate in them. Boynton Health Services
on the Minneapolis Campus also has pharmacy. With the graduate assistance health insurance,
most prescriptions have a $10 co-pay associated with them.

Blomberg Pharmacy Inc
1583 Hamline Ave (651) 646-9645

Boynton Pharmacy

Snyders Drug Store
Rose Center 1121 Larpenteur Ave W (651) 488-5578

1739 N. Lexington Ave Roseville (651) 488-1962
1550 University Ave W St. Paul (651) 646-6165

Disabled American Veterans Thrift Store
572 University Ave W., St. Paul, 651-292-1707

2505 University Ave W, St. Paul 651-603-1544
1627 W Co Road B, Roseville, 651-634-3609
553 Fairview Ave N, Saint Paul 651-646-2591
2250 White Bear Ave., Maplewood, 651-770-2401

Salvation Army
1654 White Bear Ave. N., St. Paul, 651-771-7779

Unique Thrift Store
1657 Rice St., St. Paul, 651-489-5083

Some of the places of worship located close to the two campuses include (but are not limited to).

Catholic Student Center - Newman, 612-331-3437, 1701 University Ave S.E., Mpls.

Christian Student Fellowship, 612-378-2657, 1515 Brook Av SE Mpls

Church of Christ Roseville, 651-488-5688, 241 Larpenteur Ave W. Roseville

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, 612-331-1154, 1205 University Av SE

Cleveland Avenue United Methodist Church, 651-699-2350, 225 Cleveland Ave S.

Emmanuel Mennonite Church. 651-636-9303

Emmaus Lutheran Church (LCMS), 651-489-9426, 1074 Idaho Ave West, St. Paul

First Baptist Church, 612-332-3651, 1021 Hennepin Ave, Mpls

Revised 9/14/09

First Congregational Church of Minnesota, 612-331-3816, 500 8th Ave SE, Mpls.

Islamic Institute of Minnesota Assalam Mosque, 651-748-1688, 1460 Skillman Ave, Mplwd

Lutheran Campus Ministry ELCA, 651-645-4561, 1407 N Cleveland, St. Paul

Mount Zion Temple, 651-698-3881, 1300 Summit Ave St. Paul
Newman Catholic Campus Ministry, 612-331-3437, 1201 SE 5 St, Mpls

Soka Gakkai International (Buddhist), 651-645-3133, 1381 Eustis Street, St. Paul

St. Mathews Episcopal Church, 651-645-3058, 2136 Carter Ave, St. Paul

University Baptist Church, 612-331-1768, 1219 University Ave, Mpls.

University Episcopal Center of U of M, 612-331-3552, 317 17th Ave SE, Mpls.

University Lutheran, 1101 University Ave., Mpls

Wesley United Methodist Church, 612-871-3585, 101 E Grant St. Mpls

The legal drinking age in Minnesota is 21. Beer with an alcoholic content of 3.2% is available in
grocery stores. All stronger beer and wine must be purchased at a liquor store. Liquor stores are
closed on Sundays. The University of Minnesota prohibits the possession and use of alcoholic
beverages on University property without special permits.

The University rarely closes for snow emergencies. To find out if the University is closed due to
snowfall, listen to radio school closings or delay reports by WCCO (830 AM). Local TV stations
may also list school closings.

Minneapolis and St. Paul may declare parking snow emergencies. If you park your car on the
street in either of these cities, snow emergency parking regulations will be broadcast on the radio
and television the afternoon or evening of a snowfall. Failure to move your care will result in its
being towed to an impound lot which is very expensive.

Phone numbers and websites for information on rules:
St. Paul         651-266-PLOW   
Minneapolis      612-348-SNOW   


The Terrace Café in the St. Paul Student Center offers breakfast, lunch, and snacks until 2 p.m.
It has a salad bar, hot dish counter, and sandwich bar. including Subway, Java City, Grille Works,
and assorted other items. Downstairs in the St. Paul Student Center, at the Gopher Spot, you can
purchase convenience store-type food.

The Grad Club maintains food pantries in 410 Hayes Hall and 358 Alderman Hall for graduate
students in Applied Plant Sciences. This is a cupboard stocked with various instant foods and
snacks. Students are billed for their purchases about once a semester. Check with the club
officers about obtaining access.

The Statistical Clinic provides generally free statistical consulting to researchers at the University.
Assistance on appropriate experimental designs, data analysis, and interpretation of results is
provided by faculty members of the Department of Applied Statistics and graduate students in the
Revised 9/14/09

School of Statistics. The Center does not normally provide help with computing, data
management, or writing. On the St. Paul campus, the Clinic is located in 146 Classroom Office
Building. To make an appointment with a consultant, call 612-625-3121.

To get help with computers or get University distributed software, go to Microcomputer facilities at
50 Coffey Hall on the St. Paul Campus, 152 Shepherd Labs on the East Bank campus, or 93A
Blegen Hall on the West Bank campus (M-F, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.). You can use computers in public
computer labs on the St. Paul Campus located at 305 McNeal Hall, 17 Classroom Office Building
and 135 Classroom Office Building. Computer Repair Services installs, upgrades, and repairs
computer equipment. On-site service is available for University computers and fees can be
charged to University budget numbers.

The APS grad program is committed to providing a fair, safe and comfortable environment for
students to learn. We recognize, however, that situations arise where a student feels
inappropriately treated. A major role of the DGS is as advocate and liaison for students. Students
are encouraged to bring all problems and concerns to the DGS as soon as possible. If the
problem cannot be alleviated by the DGS, graduate student grievances related to Academic
Freedom and Responsibility are handled through a strictly defined process of review and appeals.
The formal procedure begins at the department level with the Academic Grievance Committee in
accordance with the University Senate Statement of December 17, 1970, and the University
Senate Statement of April 18, 1974, both concerning academic freedom and responsibility. In the
case of graduate assistants, a separate procedure has been established for complaints arising
from his/her appointment. Counsel and detailed information concerning this separate procedure
is available from the Graduate Assistant’s Office located in Johnston Hall on the Minneapolis
campus. Students are encouraged to exhaust the informal avenues of problem resolution such
as discussions with their advisor or supervisor, the DGS, and the department head prior to starting
formal proceedings. However, there are time limits for initiating formal action, and the student
should seek information about them at an early date.

                                       THE UNIVERSITY
Although the campus on which we work may seem very small, we are only part of a much larger
University. In the Twin Cities, there are two U of M campuses. Because using the resources on
the St. Paul campus is much more convenient than going to the Minneapolis campus, this section
is divided into 2 parts. The first describes the resources & services available in St. Paul and the
second describes some of the resources available on the Minneapolis campus. We would
encourage you to explore the wealth of activities, experiences & information available on both
campuses on your own. For information about the campus check out the university web site at:


The St. Paul & Minneapolis Unions are invaluable resources that provide a wealth of information,
services & entertainment possibilities. As a graduate student you will have the opportunity to take
advantage of all that the student centers have to offer. Everything from campus maps & bus
schedules to post offices, bowling alleys & pool tables can be found at the student centers. Many
of the services and recreational activities require that you show proof of your University status so
always be prepared and bring your student I.D. with you.

Books Underground - This is the student bookstore where you can find school supplies, candy,
cards, batteries, gifts, U of M clothing, fiction and non-fiction books and film and drug store items.
Hours are: Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Located in the basement of the St. Paul
Student Center.
Revised 9/14/09

Copies on Campus - This non-profit store provides all your copying needs. They also do
stationary and announcements. If you need a stapler, paper punch or paper cutter, this is the
place to go. Hours are: Mon. - Fri., 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Located in the basement of the St. Paul
Student Center.

Center for Outdoor Adventure (COA) - The Outdoor Store & COA combined in the Summer of
2001 discontinuing much of the store's merchandise and expanding the scope of the COA
program. The COA offers an updated and expanded rental program with items such as canoes,
sea kayaks and winter tents. It also offers student-guided outdoor trips including guided trips for
groups like residence halls and student organizations, and an expanded outdoor information
resource center. The new COA will continue selling convenience items related to outdoor

Paul Whitney Larson Gallery - The Gallery features art and music listening. You can check out a
compact disc and relax to your favorite music. Hours are Mon.- Fri., 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.;
Wed., 10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.; Sun, 1- 5 p.m. Located in the basement of the St. Paul Student

Worldspan Resource Center - Sometimes referred to as the Center for Global Perspectives, it
contains information about current political, environmental, and cultural issues. The center also
sponsors lectures. Check the center for lecture topics, times, and locations. Located in
basement of Student Center.

The Theater - A wide variety of lectures and movies (for only a $1) are held here. Check the
listing for daily activities by the information booth for details.

Additional Facilities - Bowling alley, pool tables, restaurants/cafeterias, an instant cash machine,
e-mail facilities, and post office.

Across the street (to the south) from the Student Center is Coffey Hall, home of St. Paul's Student
Health Service. Located in 109 Coffey Hall, the Health Service Center provides physician and
nursing services, allergy treatments, routine immunization shots, health education materials, and
women's health services. The Health Service Center is closed during the summer. Extensive,
year-round health services are provided at Boynton Health Service on the Minneapolis campus
(for information phone 612-625-8400).

In 197 Coffey Hall is the Old Test File, which comes in very handy for midterms and finals. Many
St. Paul campus professors put old tests on file there to help students prepare for exams. In spite
of erratic hours, the old test file can be invaluable.

Admissions and Records in 130 Coffey Hall offers free unofficial transcripts, official transcripts for
a small fee, and a variety of university bulletins.

Microcomputer Labs are housed in the basement of the St. Paul Campus Central Library, Room
305 McNeal Hall, B50 Central Library, 17 Classroom Office Building, 135 Classroom Office
Building. IBM and Apple personal computers, software and laser printers are available free of
charge for students. (You must present your student identification). To print you will need add
money to your U-Card, and pay for your print jobs with it.

The St. Paul Gymnasium, on the north end of campus, offers a pool, a weight room, indoor and
outdoor tracks, a basketball court, racquetball courts, climbing wall, and outdoor tennis courts free
of charge to registered students. A variety of exercise classes are offered at a small charge. 612-

Golf Course - The University Golf Course features an 18-hole course and a driving range which
are available for use at reduced rates for University students and staff.

Revised 9/14/09

        Main Course (18-hole) - located at Larpenteur Ave. W. & Fulham Ave., St. Paul.
        Reservations: 612-627-4000

        Driving Range - located at Larpenteur Ave. W. & Cleveland Ave., St. Paul

Intramural Sports - Each season there are a variety of intramural sports offered, and you may
wish to consider finding or creating your own team.

The McGrath Library has many study and lounge areas on its four floors. The library is
connected by an indoor walkway to the Classroom Office Building and the Vocational
Technical building. An open atrium in the Vo-Tech building contains a lounge area.

McNeal Hall also contains some attractive architecture and interior design. Plants and lounging
chairs populate the three-story open south end of the building. Snack machines are also located
in McNeal near the back door closest to Borlaug Hall. This is also accessible by tunnel through
the Ecology Building, which is connected to Borlaug Hall.

The Agronomy Library (304 Hayes Hall) has several tables, and several computers for reading
e-mail and using the Web and is generally a quiet place for reading or study.

Alderman Hall, on the north end of campus, has a plant-filled lounge, which is appropriate for the
building housing the horticulture department. Hodson Hall, next door to Alderman, has a lounge
called The Refuge in the basement.

Forestry students have a commons area in Green Hall, while College of Biological Sciences
students congregate in the basement of the Biological Sciences Tower on the corner of Buford
and Gortner avenues.

Most buildings have commons spaces and lounges -- you only have to seek them out.

Graduate student mailboxes are located on the fourth floor of Borlaug Hall near the Agronomy
main office, room 411 or on the third floor of Alderman Hall near the Horticulture main office room
305. Check here for mail and department notices. Mailbox assignments are available in the main
office. The bottom row of mailboxes has one empty space, which is marked "mail drop." Campus
mail, U.S. mail, and notes for others in the department may be left here.

Stationary, envelopes, and postage for mailings related to research activities (not personal use)
in the are available in the main offices. The office also have postal scales for letters and small

The St. Paul campus has a U.S. Post Office branch located in the basement of the St. Paul
Student Center.

On this campus, check cashing is available in two locations:

        The Bursar's Office, 10 Coffey Hall, will cash personal checks of up to approximately $50
        per day. A current fee statement and student I.D. are required, and a small service
        charge is applied. Hours are 8:30-3:30 Monday through Friday.

        The Postal Office Desk in the St. Paul Student Center will cash personal checks for up to
        approximately $10.00.
Revised 9/14/09

For check cashing locations in Minneapolis, consult the current Handbook for Graduate Students.

In the Student Center there is an automatic teller machine, which accepts bank cards from many
TwinCities financial institutions, and may be used for making deposits and withdrawals ($200/day
limit). It charges $1.50 per withdrawal for non-TCF customers.

Located on the corner of Buford Ave. and Cleveland Avenue are Lori's Coffee Shop. (7:00 a.m. -
11:00 p.m.) and Mim’s Café.

Located on the corner of Como and Raymond Avenues are Abu Nader Grocery & Deli and I & M
Family Beauty Shop. Abu Nader’s offers a wide range of grocery items (milk, cereal, eggs, etc)
and its deli serves Middle Eastern deli-style foods.

ST. ANTHONY PARK (near St. Paul Campus)
The St. Anthony Park Business District is located within walking distance from Bailey Hall and to
the St. Paul Campus. It is approximately 4 blocks west of campus on Como Ave. This quaint
village is flavored with a bit of English Tudor architecture and has many interesting places to visit.

What you will find: Milton Square - specialty and novelty shops; Bibelot - clothing and gifts;
Speedy Market - a convenience grocery store; Park Hardware Store; a bakery; a gas station; a
post office; a public library; a dentist office; and other medical offices. You can also find a tennis
court at Langford Park.

                  Muffuletta's (outside dining in the summer)
                  2260 Como Ave. 651-644-9116

                  Gingko Coffee Shop
                  (coffee, muffins, sandwiches)
                  Across from Speedy Market

                  Taste of Scandinavia
                  (coffee, muffins, and sandwiches)

The Department of Recreational Sports offers fitness and recreation opportunities to University
students and staff through both organized and self-directed activities. Your U-Card/Student Fees
allow access to weight rooms, indoor and outdoor tennis courts, basketball courts, volleyball
courts, an indoor running track, and swimming pools in the University Aquatic Center (a 50-meter
Olympic pool), Cooke Hall, Norris Hall, and the St. Paul Gymnasium during the academic year.
Participation Permits can be purchased for the summer for $38 from the information desk at either
Cooke Hall or the St. Paul Gym (much cheaper than a club membership). Locker rental and towel
service are available from one of these locations for the summer. Fitness programs, such as
aerobic dance classes, are also offered at reduced rates for students and staff.

Information Centers:      101 Cooke Hall: 612-625-6800
                          St. Paul Gym: 612-625-8283

Weight Rooms - Both free and universal weights are available for use in the Cooke Hall
basement and the St. Paul Gym. For information concerning available hours, contact one of the
information centers.

Revised 9/14/09

Swimming Pools - located in 10 and 15 Cooke Hall, 51 and 58 Norris Hall, the Aquatic Center/
Natatorium, and the St. Paul Gym. Call 612-624-7050 for pool hours and availability.

Tennis Courts - Indoor Tennis - available at the Fieldhouse and Cooke Hall complex. For
reservations and court hours call 612-625-0852. Outdoor Tennis - 4th St. & 19th Ave S.E.,
Minneapolis. Reservations and hours: 612-625-6800, Cleveland Ave. at Hoyt, St. Paul.
Reservations and hours: 612-625-7783

Basketball Courts - located in the Fieldhouse, Norris Hall Gym 151, and the St. Paul Gym.
Check with an information center for available times.

Volleyball Courts - indoor volleyball available in Cooke Hall Gym 325; outdoor sand volleyball
available at the Cooke Hall Field (right outside Cooke Hall). Check with an information center for
available times.

Cafeterias are listed by campus and building location. Hours vary depending on the time of year.

Coffman Memorial Union

Phillips-Wangensteen Building

University Hospital, 612-626-4932
Bridges Cafeteria, 8th floor

Moos Health Sciences Tower
Sostanza, basement, 612-624-1173

Nolte Center, 612-624-8093
Nolte Dining Room, basement

Shevlin Hall
Vending machines only Minneapolis/West Bank

Blegen Hall, 612-625-0842
Metropol, ground floor
Essentials, ground floor

Willey Hall, 612-625-9069
Dinghy, ground floor
Riverbend, ground floor

Humphrey Center, 612-625-2588
Humphrey Institute Food Service

Carlson Center, 625-3420
Food Court

University Film Society - Screenings of feature films, both international and domestic, that are
rarely shown elsewhere in the Twin Cities. Films are shown in the Bell Museum auditorium and
Nicholson Hall. For 24-hour-a-day information call 612-627-4430.

Northrop Memorial Auditorium - Popular and classical concerts are performed as well as the
Northrup Dance Series, which features ballet, contemporary, and folk companies. During the
summer many concerts are free and are performed outdoors on the plaza in front of the building.
For performance and ticket information call 612-624-2345.
Revised 9/14/09

University Theater - The summer season features one production that runs June-August. It is
performed on the Minnesota Centennial Showboat, an authentic sternwheel paddleboat converted
to a theater and moored on the Mississippi below the Minneapolis campus. For performance and
ticket information on the University Theater productions call 612-625-4001.

University School of Music - Many activities take place here including master classes,
internationally renowned professionals, and faculty recitals. All are welcome to attend jazz,
chamber, and contemporary music performances by the School's musical groups such as the
university bands, orchestras, choruses, and other ensembles. Most events are free. For more
information, call the School of Music Events Hotline at 612-626-2200.


Nearly all of the books and journals needed by agronomy and plant breeding graduate students
are located on the St. Paul campus, and most are housed in the McGrath Library, which is located
less than five minutes from the Agronomy Building and Borlaug Hall. The McGrath Library collects
research literature in the fields of agriculture, agronomy, animal science, ag engineering, ag
economics, applied statistics, botany, design, food science and nutrition, family social science,
home economics, landscape architecture, plant physiology, rhetoric, rural sociology, soil science,
and textiles and clothing. The McGrath Library ( also has a large
collection of federal and state agricultural publications. Current copies of many journals are
available in a reading room on the second floor.

The following specialized libraries are also found on the St. Paul campus:

     Entomology, Fisheries, and Wildlife Library - 375 Hodson Hall
     Forestry Library - 203 Green Hall
     Plant Pathology Library - 395A Borlaug Hall
     Veterinary Medical Library - 450 Veterinary Science

Agronomy & Plant Genetics maintains its own library (304 Agronomy) which is not connected to
the University Library system. This library has recently been reorganized to serve as a reading
and study area for students and faculty. Class reserve materials and theses by former students
are kept here. The library also receives several relevant journals.

                            TRANSPORTATION AND PARKING

If you would like information that is more specific about bus schedules, visit the Student Center in
St. Paul or the post office in the PWB building in Minneapolis. Both of these places have bus
schedules that list the arrival and departure times for specific buses in the Twin Cities area. If you
are traveling off campus, and you need to know which bus to take and where to transfer, etc., call
the BUSLINE at 612-827-7733. An operator will help you. You can also visit the Metro Transit
website For U of M transit information, visit

How to get around the Minneapolis/St. Paul Campuses and Surrounding Areas (Dinkytown,
Stadium Village, West Bank, and St. Anthony Village):

1.     Use the campus connector bus (# 121; maroon and gold buses). Transport from campus to
       campus is free. Check schedule(available at the St. Paul Student Center and Coffman
       Memorial Union - Mpls Campus).
Revised 9/14/09

2.    The express Campus Connector (#121E) has limited stops throughout the St. Paul and
      Minneapolis Campus.
3.    The final destination of all U of M buses traveling to the St. Paul Campus is in front of the
      St. Paul Student Center.
4.    The St. Paul Campus Circulator bus is free and has a limited route servicing only the St.
      Paul Campus. It runs from 7 am until 5pm Monday thru Friday.
5.    The Minneapolis East Bank has two circulator buses and the West Bank has one circulator
      bus for transportation on those campuses.
6.    University buses do not run on the weekends during the summer.
7.    Call 612-626-7275 for current information.

For further information about routes, pick-up locations and times, or anything that you wanted to
know about public transportation in the Twin Cities, call:

For the 24-hour automated information system (if you know the # and direction of the bus you are
taking and need schedule information) call: MTC BUSLINE : 612-341-4BUS

Bike licenses are required on campus and in the City of Minneapolis. Your bike can be ticketed if
it lacks the license. The $10.00 bike fee is a small price to protect your wheels. Without the
license a stolen or lost bike has little hope of being returned to its owner. The license is good for
three calendar years, and may be purchased from the campus police office (230 University
Avenue, Minneapolis Campus, 612-624-3550) or any motor vehicle office. You'll need the bike's
serial number and brand. The receipt is helpful for new bikes.

There is very little parking near Hayes Hall. The "contract" lot spaces are held by faculty and staff.
Parking in these lots during the day will result in a ticket; in the evening and on weekends these
lots are almost always "safe", though do so at your own risk.

For short term parking, metered spots are available between Hayes Hall and the Cargill Building.
The meters only take quarters and are checked regularly.

There is an hourly lot in front of Borlaug Hall or students who drive to campus can park in the
Minnesota State Fair Lot or the Earle Brown Lot.

The cheapest rate for parking is currently $2.75/day for carpools of 2 or more people (in the State
Fair lot). Standard parking is $3.75/day and up. Contract parking is available at a discount to
students, call Parking and Transportation Services at 626-7275 for more information.

Additional information is available from the Parking Office at 2818 Como Ave. S.E., Mpls., MN
55414 (phone 612-625-3492, Parking maps of the both
campuses can be obtained from the St. Paul Student Center.

Parking on the streets near campus is restricted to 1 or 2 hours at a time; check the signs. South
of Como, in the area across from CTC, most of the streets have unrestricted parking. The
campus circulator stops at both Raleigh and Como and Raymond and Como between 7am and 5

Please note: The Fairgrounds and Earle Brown parking lots are closed every year for about three
weeks beginning in the middle of August and ending shortly after Labor Day for the Minnesota
State Fair. Parking around the campus becomes nearly impossible -- some options: get here by
7:30 am and park in the hourly lot near the Food Science Building or park on residential streets in
St. Anthony Park that are far enough away from campus to have unrestricted parking and hike!

Revised 9/14/09

                             DEPARTMENTAL INFORMATION

Postage - Departmental postage may be used for a restricted number of items and may be
obtained from the Departmental Office. Uses include: project correspondence, correspondence
with journals regarding manuscripts authored by the graduate students, and mailing of reprints
requested by others (provided that project leader is an author). It is not for correspondence
involved in seeking employment or any other personal mail. Also, reprint request cards should be
approved by the project leader before departmental postage will be supplied.

Supplies - The Department Office maintains a small stock of a variety of items. These are for
faculty and project use, and not for student's personal use. Students requiring supplies for project
work (eg. paper clips, note pads, etc.) should obtain them from their project.

Computer Room -Computers and computer support for graduate students from the Department of
Agronomy and Plant Genetics and the Department of Plant Pathology are available in 304
Stakman Hall. Unfortunately, these computers are not available for students from other
departments (including Horticultural Science) because the room is financed by money from
Agronomy and from Plant Pathology and the room cannot support more use. The combination to
this room can be obtained from the main office (411 Borlaug Hall). A large variety of software
programs including PC SAS, LOTUS 1-2-3, MICROSOFT WORD, POWERPOINT,
PHOTOSHOP, FRONTPAGE and several other programs are available for the computers; new
programs are obtained periodically. Documentation and other instructions are kept in the
computer room.

Typewriters - If you need a typewriter, ask Lynne Medgaarden or any of the office staff, and they
can find one for you to borrow.

Copy Machine - Use of the departmental copy machine is restricted to project work only. Access
numbers for your project work are available from your advisor.

A Copy Center on the main floor of the McGrath Library (and other major campus libraries) makes
photocopies, and offers a variety of services including enlarging and reducing, copying from
microfilm, and making overhead transparencies. Library materials do not need to be checked out
to be photocopied here, materials can be dropped off and picked up later, and charges can be
paid in cash or transferred to a University CUFS number.

Fax Machine - There is a fax machine in the main office available for project work and you may
pay to send a personal fax ($1.00/page).

The Applied Plant Sciences graduate program sponsors weekly seminar programs during the fall
and spring semesters. Speakers include students enrolled in seminar class, department faculty,
and invited speakers. All students are strongly encouraged to attend the seminar series and are
welcome to attend seminars sponsored by other programs and departments.

Throughout the year, seminars are presented by students defending their M.S. or Ph.D. thesis.
These seminars are advertised by signs posted on bulletin boards near the mailboxes and by
notices in the weekly Gleanings or Twig Bender. Students are always welcome to participate in
these seminars.

A listing of nearly all seminars presented on the St. Paul campus is prepared by the College of
Biological Sciences.

In the fall students and staff present "dry runs" of talks and posters they will be presenting at the
ASA or WSSA annual meetings. All department personnel are invited to these sessions, and
attending the dry runs is valuable both for you and for the presenters. The presenters need an
audience and your suggestions, and you learn from both the presentations and the critiques
offered by the audience.
Revised 9/14/09

It may seem a bit strange to comment on farewell coffees in a new student handbook, but
impossible as it may seem at times, the hour to say goodbye eventually rolls around for all of us.
The Agronomy and Plant Genetics Department sponsors a farewell coffee for each graduate
student as he/she finishes his/her degree and moves into the professional world. You are invited
and encouraged to attend these coffees, as they are held in order to acknowledge a major
accomplishment on the part of a colleague. A farewell coffee generally includes informal
recognition of the student by the advisor, the department head, and a Grad Club representative.
Watch the bulletin boards for farewell coffee announcements.

                               STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS
Being a large university, the U of M has many, many student organizations. A list of most of these
can be found in the U of M phone book. At the beginning of fall semester an Activities Fair is held
in which about 100 of the student groups set up informational booths in Coffman Union. The St.
Paul campus holds a much smaller version of the activities fair at the same time. Listed below
are a few of the organizations you are most likely to have contact with.

Applied Plant Sciences Graduate Student Association (the Grad Club) - The Grad Club meets
regularly each semester to discuss issues affecting the department's grad students and to plan
professional and social events. Annual GSA events usually include a Plant Breeding Symposium,
soup lunch, pancake breakfast and spring barbeque. GSA officers (president, vice-president,
secretary and treasurer) are elected each spring, and other students are appointed to serve on
several departmental committees. You are encouraged to get involved as soon as possible.

Discussion Groups - Each year, students in the program organize a series of informal
discussions on topics of interest to the participants. The goals are to give students an opportunity
to meet fellow students and faculty in their area of interest, and to increase participants'
knowledge and understanding of the chosen topic. Subjects for discussion might include journal
articles of interest, a fellow student's thesis research, the research program of a guest speaker,
etc. You should receive information and a request for topic suggestions in the fall.

Council of Graduate Students (COGS). COGS is the official governing body representing all
graduate students in the Graduate School. Graduate students in each degree-granting program
are allowed to elect one representative to serve on the council. (COGS rep chosen out of "Grad
Club.") Students have an opportunity to actively participate in University administrative and policy
decisions by becoming officers on COGS or by representing it on Graduate School and University
committees. (Some of these committees are relevant to our grad students - find out about them
from the current COGS rep.)COGS is a great source for travel grants when it comes time to
present your research, be sure to apply early as funds have been depleted before the end of the
school year.
Graduate and Proffesional Student Association (GAPSA) This student government
organization represents all graduate and professional students to the University administration,
the Minnesota Board of Regents, city government, and the state legislature. GAPSA is composed
of an executive board and representatives from graduate and professional student groups such as
COGS. GAPSA works hard to make the experience of graduate and professional students a little

University Senate. This one might confuse you. The University Senate is split into sub-groups
both between students and faculty and between campuses. Here in the Twin Cities, we have
meetings of the Twin Cities Campus Senate. What happens is that the students meet separately,
then the faculty and students meet jointly and then the students are released and the faculty hold

Revised 9/14/09

their meeting at the conclusion of the joint session. The coordinate campuses are included in
these meetings via voice and video conferencing. Anyway, the whole reason they meet is to
formulate policy (law) for the entire University. The administration may also formulate policy
changes. Both the Senate and the administration must have major policy proposals approved by
the Board of Regents. The best way to get involved in the University Senate is to first become
active in COGS as they hold seven seats on the Senate. The Senate also has several
committees for which you can apply (also in the spring) without having to be part of the Senate.

                         ENTERTAINMENT IN THE TWIN CITIES

Not only do you go to school in Minneapolis & St. Paul, you live here. While you are here it is
important that you try to take advantage of the cultural and recreational activities available in the
Twin Cities.

St. Paul
Goldstein Gallery - 41 McNeal Hall
Exhibits show design as seen in costumes, textiles, and the decorative arts. Located in the
Department of Design, Housing, and Apparel in the College of Human Ecology, St. Paul campus.

Hours: M-F, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.; Thursdays until 8:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, 1:30-4:30 p.m.
Admission free

Paul Whitney Larson Gallery - St. Paul Student Center - 612-625-0214
The 520-square-foot Paul Whitney Larson Art Gallery is located on the Lower Level of the St. Paul
Student Center. Exhibitions are curated, designed, installed and promoted by the Visual Arts
Committee of the Twin Cities Student Unions Programs and Activities Board.

Hours: Monday 10am-5pm, Tuesday 10am-5pm, Wednesday 10am-5pm, Thursday 10am-8pm
Friday 10am-4pm Saturday and Sunday Closed


James Ford Bell Museum of Natural History - 10 Church Street S.E.
Two floors of habitat exhibits depicting Minnesota's plant and animal life in beautifully
reconstructed outdoor scenes. Highlights of the museum include a Touch-and-See Room, the
Jaques Gallery of Natural History Art, and the Blue Heron Bookshop.

Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 9 a.m.- 5 p.m. Sunday, 1-5 p.m. Closed Mondays and Holidays
Small fee for admission, Thursdays are free

Katherine E. Nash Gallery of the West Bank Union - Willey Hall
Exhibits by local, regional, and occasionally national artists, as well as work by bachelor and
master of fine arts degree candidates.

Hours:M-F, 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays until 9 p.m.
Closed Saturday and Sunday

Frederick R. Weisman Art Museum - located on the Minneapolis campus of the University of
Minnesota, on the east bank of the Mississippi River. Founded in 1934, the museum currently

Revised 9/14/09

holds a permanent collection of over 13,000 objects; its programs serve the University community
and the general public.

Hours: Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday, 10 am to 5 pm, Thursday, 10 am to 8 pm ,             Saturday
and Sunday, 11 am to 5 pm. The museum is closed on Mondays.

CityLine, 651-645-6060- sports, weather, recreation, restaurants, buses, and more

The Connection, 612-922-9000- this number will provide you with information on restaurants,
businesses, entertainment, sports, live theater, concerts, etc.

Ticketmaster, 612-371-2000

Rosedale, 651-633-0872. Hwy 36 & Snelling Ave., Roseville.

Ridgedale, 612-541-4864. Interstate 394 & Ridgedale Dr., Minnetonka.

Southdale, 612-0925-7885. Hwy 494 & France Ave. S., Bloomington.

Brookdale, 612-569-2600. Hwy 100 & Hwy 152 (take 94 west to Shingle Creek Parkway South),
       Brooklyn Center.

Har Mar Mall, 651-631-0340, 2100 Snelling Ave., Roseville (north of St. Paul Campus).

Calhoun Square, 612-824-1240, 3001 Hennepin Ave.S. (corner of Lake St. and Hennepin Ave.,

The Mall of America, 612-883-8800 Bloomington, MN. The largest mall in the country, it includes
Camp Snoopy amusement park, restaurants, stores, arcades, a movie theater, etc.

Minnesota Office of Tourism, 651-296-5029, 375 Jackson St., 250 Skyway Level, St. Paul, 55101

Visitor Information Booths, 651-223-5409, Town Square, St. Paul Center, 445 Minnesota St., St.
Paul, 372-1563, IDS Center, 7th St. and Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis

Historic Fort Snelling, 651-726-1171, St. Paul, 55111.
Fully restored 1820's stone fort features crafts, military pageantry, displays and gift shop.

Minneapolis Institute of Arts, 612-870-3131, 2400 3rd Ave. S., Minneapolis.
Special exhibitions and concerts complement an internationally acclaimed permanent collection of
80,000 art works. Admission free.

Minnesota Museum of Art, 651-292-4355, Jemne Building (in the Landmark Center),
         305 St. Peter Street, St. Paul.
Exhibitors of permanent collection of 19th and 20th century American artists and several
northwestern collections. Free. Also, Minnesota Museum of Art-Landmark Center, 2nd floor.
Offers touring exhibitions of predominantly American art. Free

Science Museum of Minnesota & Omnitheater, 651-221-9488, 30 E. 10th St., St. Paul.

Revised 9/14/09

Museum blends science, technology and natural history. Admission is $4.00 for exhibit only and
$6.00 for exhibit and theater. Omnitheater uses the world's largest film projector, giving the
viewer the most vivid movie-going experience of a lifetime. Admission fee for Omnitheater. Open
every day during the summer until 9:00 p.m.

Walker Art Center & Sculpture Gardens, 612-375-7622, Vineland Place, Minneapolis.
         Located next to the Guthrie Theater.
Exhibitions, music, dance, film, theater and educational activities. Permanent collection of
contemporary art.

West Bank Theater District, 612-332-6910, 2000 S. 5th St., Minneapolis. Highest concentration of
theaters in Minnesota. Between University campus and Downtown Minneapolis; contemporary
and traditional plays, comedy and improvisation. Specific theaters located in this district include as

At the Foot of the Mountain, 612-375-9487, People's Center, 2000 S. 5th Street, Minneapolis.
Specializes in plays that concern women's issues.

Charters Academy and Showcase Theater, 612-338-0063, 411 1st Ave N., Minneapolis.
Intimate, off-Broadway theater.

Children's Theater Company, 612-874-0400, 2400 3rd Ave. S., Minneapolis. Adaptations of
classic and contemporary children's literature.

Comedy Gallery, 612-331-5653, 25 Main St. S.E., Minneapolis. Local and National acts.

Cricket Theater, 612-871-2244, 1407 Nicollet Ave., Minneapolis. American contemporary
theater and new works.

Dudley Riggs' Brave New Workshop, (612) 823-4633, 3001 Hennepin Av Minneapolis MN
55408. Satirical revues.

Guthrie Theater, 612-377-2244, 725 Vineland Place, Minneapolis. Tony award-winning
theater featuring Shakespeare, the classics, contemporary comedy and musicals.

Illusion Theater, 612-338-8371, 528 Hennepin Ave., Minneapolis. Features plays from a wide
variety of cultures.

In the Heart of the Beast Puppet and Mask Theater, 612-721-2535, 1500 E. Lake St.,
Minneapolis. Uses puppet and mask Theater's ancient tradition to explore contemporary social
issues, events and values.

Theater de la Jeune Lune, 612-333-6200, 528 Hennepin Ave., Minneapolis. An
international company of actors performing highly-physical, visually-spectacular theater.

Actors Theater of St. Paul, 651-227-0500, 28 W. 7th Place, St. Paul. Fully professional resident
company presenting plays of various styles

Park Square Theater Company, 651-291-7005, 253 E.4th St., St. Paul. Productions of classic
and modern plays.

Penumbra Theater, 651-224-4601, 270 N. Kent St., St. Paul. Minnesota's professional Black
theater company.
Revised 9/14/09

Chanhassen Dinner Theater, 612-934-1525, Hwys. 5 and 101 (5 minutes west of hwy.494) on
W. 78th St., Chanhassen. Four professional dinner theaters under one roof. Dinner and Matinee

Comedy Gallery South, 612-888-8900, 2701 Southtown Dr., Bloomington. Comedy club in the
Mandarin Yen restaurant.

Old Log Theater, 612-474-5951, 5175 Meadville St., Box 250, Excelsior, MN. Cocktails, dinner
and theater.

Minneapolis Chamber Symphony, 612-339-0235, 515-B Butler Square Bldg., 100 N. 6th St.
Classical and contemporary music.

Minnesota Opera, 612-221-0256, 400 Sibley St., St. Paul. Musical theater presented at the
Ordway Music Theater.

Minnesota Orchestra/Orchestra Hall, 612-371-5656, 1111 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis. Orchestra
under the direction of Edo de Waart, major concert hall with events year-round.

Northrop Auditorium, U of M, 612-624-2345, 84 Church St. S.E., Minneapolis. Special events;
classical and popular concerts.

Ordway Music Theater, 651-224-4222, 345 Washington St., St. Paul. Major performing arts
center of acclaimed design.

Orpheum Theater, 612-338-7968, 901 Hennepin Ave., Minneapolis. Live touring productions of
Broadway, jazz, pop, and rock events.

O'Shaughnessy Auditorium, 651-690-6700, 2004 Randolph Ave., St. Paul.

Schubert Club, 651-292-3268, 75 W. 5th St., St. Paul. Sponsor of some Ordway Music Theater

St. Paul Chamber Orchestra, 651-291-1144, 75 W. 5th St., St. Paul. Performances at Ordway
Music Theater and other locations.

World Theater, 651-298-1300, 10 E. Exchange St., St. Paul. Chamber music, films and special

AMC Rosedale 14, Snelling Ave and County Rd B2, Roseville

Film in The Cities, 651-646-6104, 2388 University Ave. W., St. Paul

General Cinema Theatres 24 Hour Movie Information Hotline, 612-546-5700

Imation IMAX Theatre 651-431-IMAX, Minnesota Zoo

Skyway 6 Theaters, 612-333-6100, 711 Hennepin Ave., Minneapolis

St. Anthony Main Cinemas, 612-331-4723, St. Anthony Main, Minneapolis.

Suburban World Theater, 612-825-6688, 3022 Hennepin Ave.
Revised 9/14/09

United Artists Pavillion at Crossroads 651-6321-1713, 1655 W. Co Road B2 Roseville

University Film Society, 612-627-4431, Nicholson Hall and the Bell Museum, Minneapolis campus

Uptown Theater, 612-825-4644, 2906 Hennepin Ave.

Wm. L. McKnight - 3M Omnitheater, 651-221-9400, 30 E. 10th St., St. Paul. One of the world's
largest film projectors and 76-foot diameter domed screen.

The Twin Cities features one of the most extensive and diverse local and national music scenes in
the country. Types of music featured include reggae, blues, alternative/ progressive rock, folk,
and dance/pop. Listings of the locations and phone numbers for different clubs along with
schedules for upcoming acts can be found in The Reader and City Pages. These free local
weekly publications can be obtained from the student unions as well as several other locations.

Como Park, 489-1740, Zoo: 651-488-5571, N. Lexington Parkway and Como Ave., St. Paul.
Amusement park, picnic areas, biking/walking trails and paths, Como Lake,18-hole golf course,
zoo, historic carousel, and conservatory renowned for its floral displays. Conservatory and zoo
open daily. Zoo free. Admission for special conservatory hours.

Fort Snelling State Park, 651-727-1961, Fort Snelling, Post Rd. off Hwy 5, St. Paul. At the
confluence of the Mississippi and Minnesota Rivers. Park offers picnicking, swimming at spring-
fed Snelling Lake, hiking on Pike Island trails, and a boat launch. State Park Vehicle Permit is
required and can be purchased at the park.

Harriet Island, on the Mississippi River across from downtown St. Paul. Head- semesters for
many riverfront activities; marina.

Lake Harriet Bandshell, E. Lake Harriet Parkway, Minneapolis. Community concerts and
performances are held evenings throughout the summer.

Minneapolis Lakes and Parks. The "City of Lakes" has 22 in all, plus 153 parks and 54 miles of
paved pathways for biking, roller-blading, or walking. Canoe, bicycle and rollerskate rentals are
available near the largest lakes (Lake Calhoun, Lake Harriet). Swimming beaches are open all
summer and fishing is great year-round. For more information, call the Minneapolis Park and
Recreation Board at 612-348-2243 or 348-2226.

Minnehaha Falls, 50th St. and Minnehaha Ave., Minneapolis. Waterfall, picnic areas and hiking

Minnesota Zoological Garden, 612-432-9000, 12101 Johnny Cake Ridge Rd., Apple Valley. Five
exhibit trails with 1,300 animals and 800 plant species. Walking trails. Open daily, admission
and parking fee. Admission is free on the 2nd and 3rdTuesday of every month. Also, on the 2nd
and 3rd Tuesdays of every month, weekends, and holidays, a #57 bus will take you from
Downtown Minneapolis to the zoo.

Normandale Japanese Gardens, Normandale Community College, 612-830-9303, 98th St.and
France Ave. S., Bloomington. Quiet retreat featuring two shelters, three bridges, waterfall and
lagoon, shrine, trees and plantings. Open during the summer. Free tours 1:00 p.m. Wednesdays,
June 1 to September 30.

Phalen Park, 651-292-7400, Wheelock Pkwy at Arcade St., St. Paul. Golf, picnic areas, lake;
headquarters for many civic festivals.

Revised 9/14/09

Rice Park, Washington Ave. and Market St. between 4th and 5th Sts., St. Paul. Surrounded by
Landmark Center, the St. Paul Hotel and the Ordway Music Theater.

Town Square Park, 651-291-8900, St, Paul Center, 7th and Minnesota Sts., St. Paul. Half-acre
enclosed park with waterfalls.

University of Minnesota Landscape Arboretum, 612-443-2460, Hwy 5 (west of Chanhassen). 675
acres of cultivated plants, landscape gardens, hills, lakes and ponds; many scenic walking trails.
Open daily. Admission fee for University staff and students

Valleyfair Family Amusement Park, 612-445-7600, 1 Valleyfair Dr., Shakopee. Theme park
features rides, shows and other attractions including and IMAX theater. Open daily, Memorial Day
through Labor Day. Admission fee.

H.H.H. Metrodome, 612-335-3370, 900 S. 5th St., Minneapolis. Home of the Vikings football;
concerts and other special events.

Target Field, Minneapolis. Home of the Twins.

Minnesota Timberwolves, 612-377-3865, 600 First Ave. N., Minneapolis. Basketball, October
through April, Target Center.

Minnesota Twins, 612-375-1116, 501 Chicago Ave., Minneapolis. Baseball, April through
September; 1987 &1991 World Champions; Target Field.

Minnesota Wild, Hockey 317 Washington Street ST PAUL General Information (651) 222-9453
September – April. Xcel Energy Center

Minnesota Vikings, 612-333-8828, 500 11th Ave. S., Minneapolis. Football, August
through December; Metrodome.

St. Paul Civic Center, 651-224-7361, Downtown St. Paul. Features family and sporting events
and music concerts.

St. Paul Saints, 651-644-6512, Municipal Stadium, (Just west of Snelling and Energy Park Drive).
Also features St. the Pig as mascot!

Target Center, 612-673-1313, 600 First Ave. N., Downtown Minneapolis. Home of the Minnesota
Timberwolves. Also features special events and music concerts.

Xcel Energy Center, (651) 265-4800, Downtown St. Paul. Home of the Minnesota Wild. Also
features special events and music concerts.

U of M Golden Gophers, 612-624-8080, 205 Bierman Athletic Building, 516 15th Ave. SE,

Along with the wide array of social opportunities, the Twin Cities offers many opportunities for the
outdoor enthusiast. The extensive parkway system, biking and hiking paths, lakes, rivers,
streams, and state and county parks provide an ideal natural setting to enjoy biking, hiking, and
canoeing in and near the Twin Cities area. This section provides specific information about
places to bike, hike, and canoe, places to rent equipment, and phone numbers to call should you
want additional information.

Revised 9/14/09

In the Twin Cities Area: A major feature of the Twin Cities is its extensive bike trail system.
Terrific views of lakes, creeks, the Mississippi River, a waterfall, and the contemporary
Minneapolis skyline are found along these trails. Maps of some of the trails can be found on the
following pages or can be obtained from the Minnesota Department of Transportation (address
and phone number located in Additional Information section). For more information about biking
in the Twin Cities, please contact the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board at (612) 348-2226.

Outside of the Twin Cities: Several of the Hennepin Park Reserves west of Minneapolis have
paved bike trails and are relatively close to the Twin Cities (within 20 miles). Depending on the
park, there are also swimming beaches, playgrounds, picnic areas, nature centers, naturalist
programs and campgrounds. The paved trails, which are used for both hiking and biking, and
bike rentals can be found at the following Hennepin Parks: Baker Park Reserve, Carver Park
Reserve, Cleary Lake Regional Park, Elm Creek Park Reserve, Hyland Park Reserve, and Lake
Rebecca Park Reserve. For more information, contact the Hennepin Parks at (612) 559-9000.

       The Bike Shop
       215 Oak Street S.E.
       Minneapolis, MN 55414
       (612) 331-3442
Open daily Monday - Saturday; rents 3-speed men's and women's, 10-speed, and mountain

       Minnesota Travel Information Center
       375 Jackson St., 250 Skyway Level
       St. Paul, MN 55101
       Toll-free: 800-657-3700
       Twin Cities Area: 651-296-5029
Provides directories of motels, hotels, campgrounds, resorts, bed and breakfast and historic inns;
brochures on specific towns and regions; and information on things to see and do in Minnesota.

        Minnesota Department of Transportation
        John Ireland Blvd., Room B-20
        St. Paul, MN 55155
        (651) 296-2216

Provides maps with road analysis for bicycle usage for the entire state of Minnesota.

A good website for bike trail information in and around the Twin Cities:

Canoeing is a great way to explore Minnesota's many lakes, rivers, and streams. Places to canoe
in the Twin Cities include the Crow, Minnesota, Mississippi, and St. Croix Rivers as well as Lake
Calhoun in Uptown Minneapolis. Outside the Twin Cities area, the Hennepin Parks offer many
lakes with moderate to light boat activity as well as canoe rental at a rate of $1.50 per half-hour.
The Hennepin Parks include Baker Park Reserve (Lake Independence, Spurzen Lake, and Half
Moon Lake), Bryant Lake Regional Park, Carver Park Reserve (Lake Zumbra, Lake Auburn,
Stieger Lake, and Parley Lake), Cleary Lake Regional Park, Coon Rapids Dam Regional Park,
Fish Lake Regional Park, French Regional Park (Medicine Lake), Hyland Lake Park Reserve, and
Lake Rebecca Park Reserve. Parks are open 5:00 a.m.- 10:00 p.m. and a $4.00 daily parking
permit is required to park all motorized vehicles. Year-long permits are also available at very
reasonable rates.

St. Croix River Rentals:                              Marine-on-St.-Croix, MN 55047
Marine Landing Boat & Canoe Serv.                     (651) 433-2864
Box 142, 10 Elm St.
Revised 9/14/09

    Taylors Falls Canoe Rental                            2900 Lyndale Ave. S.
    Box 225, 110 Wild Mountain Rd.                        Minneapolis, MN 55408
    Taylors Falls, MN 55084                               (612) 827-5746
    (651) 465-6315
    (651) 462-7550 (Twin Cities)                          Midwest Mountaineering
    800-447-4958 (toll-free)                              309 Cedar Ave. S.
                                                          Minneapolis, MN 55408
   Aarcee Rental Center                                   (612) 339-3433
Canoes are also available for rental at the previously mentioned Hennepin Parks.

Minnesota Travel Information Center
375 Jackson St., 250 Skyway Level
St. Paul, MN 55101-1810
800-657-3700 (toll-free)
(651) 296-5029 (Twin Cities)
Travel planning information, including directories of canoe outfitters, extended canoe trips, campgrounds,

Minnesota Department of Natural
Resources Information Center
500 Lafayette Rd., Box 40
St. Paul, MN 55155
(651) 296- 6157
Information on state parks, state forests, state designed canoe routes, and canoe licenses.

* Before planning or going on a canoe trip, call ahead to make sure that your canoeing ability coincides
with the skills you will need to successfully navigate your trip without risking serious injury. The
Department of Natural Resources (DR) can give you this information as well as weekly water level reports,
which may alter the difficulty level of the water body. Call 800-652-9747 toll-free from Minnesota and
(612) 296-6157 from other states or the Twin Cities area.

There are extensive opportunities for hiking in the Minneapolis-St. Paul Metropolitan area. Over 30
county, city, and regional parks have trails for hiking and walking. Popular areas include trails around Lake
Calhoun, Lake Harriet, and Lake of the Isles in Uptown Minneapolis. A regional park brochure completely
describing hiking in the metropolitan area parks can be obtained from the Minnesota Travel Information
Center (address and phone number located in Canoeing and Biking sections).

If you are interested in getting out to enjoy the weather, take a walk, or throw a frisbee, the Uptown Lakes
(Lake Harriet, Lake Calhoun, and Lake of the Isles), the Mississippi River Flats (on the Minneapolis East
Bank Campus), or the St. Anthony Main/Riverplace walkways are all beautiful and relatively close.

                                      TELEPHONE NUMBERS

This list represents some phone numbers which may be useful to students in this department. Consult the
current U of M directory for a more complete listing. Updates of the department will be distributed through
your campus mailbox periodically.

For on-campus numbers beginning with 624, 625, 626, or 627, dial the last 5 numbers only from campus
phones. All University phone numbers start with area code 612. For off-campus numbers, dial 8 first.

    Revised 9/14/09

1)      Graduate School Numbers (and others related to registration, records, etc.)
        General Information - 316 Johnston Hall, Mpls                   5-3014 or 5-3490
        Admissions & Records - All-U - 150 Williamson, Mpls.            5-5333
        -        Grad School 306 Johnston, Mpls                         5-9364
        -        St. Paul - 130 Coffey, SP                              4-3731
        Change of status - 306 Johnston.                                5-8060
                 (readmissions, change major or degree)
        Council of Grad Students (COGS) - 418 Johnston                  6-1612
        Dean's Office, Grad School - 321 Johnston                       5-3394
        Doctoral Candidate Registration                                 5-5833
        Doctoral Exam Scheduling            - preliminary oral          5-2306
                                            - final                     5-5833
        Fellowship Office - 422 Johnston                                5-7579
        Graduate Assistants Office- 411 Johnston                        6-1310
        Graduation Information - Master's                               5-4019
                                            - Doctoral                  5-5833
        Old Student Files - 316 Johnston                                5-3490
        Payroll, W2 Information - Jeanne in 411 Borlaug                 5-1937
                                 - Stephanie in 305 Alderman            4-3039
        Programs, thesis proposals, petitions - 316 Johnston            5-5367
        Prospective student information - 307 Johnston                  5-3014
        Registration Information - 316 Johnston                         5-3490
        Registration - 130 Coffey Hall, St. Paul                        4-3731
        Transcripts      -       official - 130 Coffey Hall, St. Paul   4-3731
                                 -quick-service - 190 Coffey Hall, SP
        Where to get forms:      a) Lynne Medgaarden - 302 Agronomy, St. Paul
        (degree program,         b) 130 Coffey Hall, St. Paul
        petitions, etc.)         c) Form cabinet outside 316 Johnston, Mpls.

2)      Health and Public Services
        Boynton Health Service - 410 Church Street.                    5-8400
        Boynton Emergency (after hours)                                6-2700
        Dental Emergencies (after hours)                               6-2700
        Dental School Clinic - 7th floor, Moos Tower                   5-2495
        Graduate Assistance Health Insurance N-323 Boynton             5-6936
        Emergency                                                      911
        Housing Information - Comstock East                            4-2994
        Escort Service                                                 4-WALK
        Legal Service, Student - 160 West Bank Union Skyway            4-1001
        Pregnancy and VD Testing - 410 Church Street                   5-1115
        University Hospitals Emergency Receiving
                - G-254 Mayo, Nts & WkndSs                             6-2700
        University Police - 2020 University Avenue                     4-3550
        University Relations (Tours) - 6 Morrill Hall                  4-6868

3)      Counseling
        American Indian Learning Resource Center - 125 Fraser          4-2555
        Asian/Pacific American Learning Resource Center
                - 306 Walter Library                                   4-2317
        African/American Learning Resource Center
                323 Walter Library                                     4-1363
        Chicano/Latino Learning Resource Center
                332 Walter Library                                     5-6013
        Counseling, General - 109 Eddy Hall                            4-3323

Revised 9/14/09

        Crisis Counseling - 308, 310 Boyton Health Service          5-8475
        DIAL tapes                                                  4-6575
        Disabilities, Office for Students With - 16 Johnston Hall   4-4037
        Equal Opportunity Housing - 419 Morrill Hall                4-9547
        Extension (CEE) Counseling Office - 314 Nolte               5-2500
        HELP Center - 50 Nicholson Hall                             5-9009
        International Education - 717 East River Road               5-7110
        Learning and Academic Skills - 102 Eddy Hall                4-3323
        Mental Health Clinic - 4th Floor Boyton Health Service .    4-1444
        Office of Minority Student Affairs
                  - 1901 University Avenue, Suite 310               5-9556
        Psychological Counseling (emergency)                        612-379-6363
        Sexual Violence Center                                      5-6512
        Student Ombudsman Service - 102 Johnston Hall               6-0891
        Suicide Prevention                                          612-347-2222
        Veterans Assistance Office - 240 Williamson Hall            5-4012
        Women's Center - 5 Eddy Hall                                5-2874

4)      Money and Taxes
        Credit union    -1413 4th St. S.E., Mpls                    612-331-5172
                        -190 Coffey Hall                            651-645-4015
        Federal Tax Information                                     651-291-1422
        MN Tax Information                                          651-296-3781

5)      Miscellaneous

        Employee benefits, workers comp. - 1919 Univ. Ave.          4-9090
        Equal opportunity/affirmative action - 419 Morrill          4-9547
        Equal opportunity in grad study - 415 Johnston              5-6858
        Grievance office, grad school - 325 Johnston                no phone #
        Handicapped Resources Office - 12 Johnston                  4-3323
        Int'l Student Advisors Office - 717 E. River Rd.            5-7110

Revised 9/14/09

To top