2003 Annual Meeting
• Registration Fee Reminder.
• Copy of Annual Report to Ron.
• Distribute agenda for meeting.
Agenda & Initial Introductions
• Update each other via annual reports.
• Distribute Certificates of Appreciation from USDA
• Distribute handouts, including
– Blyth & Borden (2003)
– Huebner & Mancini (2003)
– W.T. Grant Foundation (Valentine)
• Look for collaborative opportunities across states.
• Measurement Task Force (Gary & Trisha are
withdrawing from group).
• Integrate community health initiative with
• Demonstrated utility of community-based
• Raised issues associated with interventions
based on selective groups.
• Discussed pragmatics associated with
• Discussed “value” of
extension/intervention, policy, and
research at K-State.
(University of Illinois)
• Create Awareness of NC-1002 (CYFAR) in
collaboration with Theresa Ferrari.
• Tested survey tool (n = 300).
– Described logistical problems (e.g., person trained
might not have administered).
• Goal for 2003-2004:
– Revise instrument and administer again.
– Train field staff on PYD assessment.
– Pursue funding, esp. for PYD program development &
– Evaluate extension programs.
• Improve Dietary Behavior via SOOSE (Kansas
Family Nutrition Program).
• Quasi-experimental design that tested aspects of
original NC-1002 model.
– Two curricula
– Developed youth evaluation tool (knowledge gain,
food preference, self-efficacy, outcome expectation,
willingness to try new food, demographic
• Summary: NC-1002 has relevance for the field of
• Provided copy of Lerner 4-H Study of
PYD (Year 1)
• Major changes that will affect all of us:
– Greater accountability for funding.
– Described ongoing projects relevant to PYD.
• Question from Chico: access to
(Families, 4-H, and Nutrition)
• National Research Initiative (comments by
– Overall: nutrition (Hipple is pgm. Officer)
– Rural development division
– Info: “funding opportunities” at USDA web
– Can now fund “integrated”
research/education/extension programs on
• Certificates (forward additional names, check titles).
• W.T. Grant Foundation (Valentine)
– A lot to contribute in category I: youth development.
– Possible to contribute to category II as well.
– Partner with 4-H (Nancy mentioned two programs) for proposal.
• Identify an interdisciplinary team that includes extension staff and
link to higher education. Craft proposal together that includes
dissemination of research findings and have programs inform
• Provides opportunity to connect NC-1002 with another national
– Include other prominent researchers (e.g., Jacqueline Eccles).
– Issue: who will be P.I.; where will funds be directed?
– Nancy’s role: suggest people to facilitate; consult about improving
chances for funding in conjunction with extension.
• Conference support from NRI to disseminate findings to extension
practitioners (face-to-face or more creative such as web-based).
Youth Survey Update
Lynne Borden (AZ), Stephen Russell (CA), & Dale Blyth (MINN)
• “Participation” Project (Lynne, Stephen, &
– Influences on SOOSE participation.
– Web-based survey
• Large # and diverse youth; looking for other partners to share
• Would like to begin analyzing data in early spring (SRA).
– 15 minutes to complete (12-20 minute range).
Stimulating Research, Promoting Youth
Development Report (Blyth & Borden, 2003)
• Relevance to NC-1002
– Use it to justify research in NC-1002.
– Importance of integration of research and intervention
– Recommendations: develop national agenda around
youth development and out of school time.
• Goal: Wide Dissemination
– Share report to university experiment station directors
and extension agents.
– Will be shared with university presidents and others in
youth development field.
National Rural Youth Development
Study (Borden, Blyth, Russell --?)
• Password protected web site.
• Data collection through 2005.
• Completed one thesis (Morrissey, 2003) that will
be presented at NCFR and is being converted to a
• Working on a second masters thesis (Chapman)
and an honor’s thesis (Rice).
• Developing an empirically-based Intensive
Outpatient Program for boys based on PYD for
11-13 year old boys (consistent with Blyth &
Borden, 2003, report).
• Positive Sexuality as an outcome
associated with SOOSE and PYD.
• Solicited feedback about conceptual
• Described Intensive Outpatient Program.
• Based on PYD.
• See handout.
Francisco Villarruel & Joanne Keith
• Food Fitness and Fun
• Developmental assets: college population
• Various student theses and dissertations
• Policy initiatives
• Zero Tolerance
• On-line youth development MS Degree
(NC Administrative Advisor)
– Work with Neal Flora (North Central Area for Rural
Development). She is in Sociology at ISU.
– Is funding an issue for attendance (which is down across
– NC-1002 is considered a priority project.
• Tasks for NC-1002:
– Dates and location of next meeting (needs to include both
(a) reporting and (b) preparation for mid-term review (due
beginning of December).
– Plan for annual report (due within 60 days of meeting)
– Slate of officers (can be 2 year term): chair, local
arrangements, webmaster/secretary, special initiative
Goals (Milestones) Established
Develop a basic core and tiered- ”Participation” Project; ISU measure;
system for the core. Need Measurement Team
Present results at multiple CYFAR, NCFR, SRCD, SRA
Let people know who we are. Web site, Conference presentations,
pubs., Certificates of Appreciation
Serve as a clearinghouse for PYD. Revised Website
Publish manuscripts related to Summarized in Annual Report
Achieve individual and corporate Overwhelming success at individual
goals. sites that contribute to corporate goals.
Goals (Milestones) for 2003-
• Rekindle enthusiasm for NC-1002
(enthusiasm for NC-1002 and PYD seems
to remain strong), esp. attendance at annual
• Prepare for mid-term report.
• NC-1002 Leadership
– Chair: Ron
– Local arrangements: Allen
– Secretary (Gary)/webmaster(Ron)
• Task: measurement (check with Carol)
– Common core or
– Measurement by topic
• Identify leaders for proposals
– Dietary Choice & Physical Activity – Integrated NRI Obesity (K-
– “Participation”: Chico & Danny
• Schedule Meeting
– Location: Washington, DC
– Dates: Oct. 4-6
Ron’s Tasks for 2003-2004
• Create a “Members Only” section of Web-Page for state
reports and other material.
• Each member needs to submit an annual report to
• Look for collaborative opportunities.
• Improve attendance at annual meeting
– Meeting reminders throughout year.
• Delete: Out of School Time Assessment Tools (Griffin,
• Change: Selected Bibliography of Positive Youth
Development (Keith, Borden, Huber, & Villurel, 2001).
• Add URL to NC-1002 for Great Plains (www.gpidea.org)
• Registration Fee Reminder.
• Thanks to Kathy Morrissey.