Visa Waiver Program Schengen

Document Sample
Visa Waiver Program Schengen Powered By Docstoc
					                                   AUSTRIA FACT SHEET

 1. Basic info
 Capital: Vienna
 Population: 8,292,000
 Total Area: 647,500 sq km
 Major Languages: German
 Currency: Euro (EUR)
 Unemployment Rate: 4.1%

 2. General conditions of entry and visa information
 If you come to Austria and your stay is not to exceed six months, you will most likely need an entry permit
 (visa) to cross the border into Austria.

 In general, you are not allowed to take up any employment while in Austria on a valid visa. However, while
 a visa is not a work permit by itself, there are certain, clearly defined circumstances under which the holder
 of a valid D+C visitor-travel visa may work temporarily in Austria (took effect January 1, 2006).

 The passport must be valid for three more months beyond the date of leaving to Austria (and the Schengen

 Who needs a Visa for entry?

 Both your nationality and the passport you hold determine whether or not you must apply for a visa.

 1. Generally, nationals of non-EU/EEA countries (so-called "third country nationals") need a permit for their
 entry into and their residence in Austria. The type of permit depends on the length and purpose of the

 o Visa D+C (for stays for a maximum of 6 months; this visa cannot be renewed); or
 o A residence permit (“Aufenthaltsbewilligung”) for "special cases of gainful employment" ("Sonderfälle
 unselbständiger Erwerbstätigkeit") or for “research” (for stays for more than 6 months).

This fact sheet was prepared within the framework of the AENEAS 2006 project: Capacity Building, Information and
Awareness Raising Towards Promoting Orderly Migration in the Western Balkans funded by the European Union
and co-funded by the Swiss Federal Office for Migration and the German Federal Office for Migration and
Refugees, the Government of Liechtenstein and the Italian Ministry for Foreign Affairs/Italian Development
         2. Citizens of Albania, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Kosovo, Montenegro, Republic of Serbia, Macedonia need a
         visa for Austria. Croatian citizens do not need an entry visa for Austria
         3. Holders of Refugee Passports and Alien Passports need a visa for Austria.

         Types of visa and procedures

         (1) Airport Transit Visa (Visa A) & Transit Visa (Visa B)

         If you travel from any non-Schengen country via Austria to another non-Schengen country and you are not
         visa-exempt under the Visa Waiver Program, you must apply for a transit visa (Visa B) if you leave the
         transit area of the airport and actually entre Austria.

         (2) Travel Visa (Visa C)

         If you plan to go to Austria as a tourist, to visit friends or on a business trip for a period not to exceed 90
         days and your country does not participate in the Visa Waiver Program, you need a Schengen travel visa
         (Visa C). With a Schengen visa, you may travel freely throughout the Schengen zone.

         Please note that in order to apply for a travel visa at the Austrian Consulate, your only destination
         (longest duration of stay) must be Austria. In absence of a main destination, Austria must be your first
         point of entry into the Schengen zone1.

         (3) Visitors Visa (Visa D)

         If you intend to stay in Austria for more than 90 but less than 180 days as either a tourist, on a business
         trip, or to visit friends or relatives and you are neither an EU citizen nor EFTA citizen, you need a national
         Austrian visitor visa (Visa D). A visitor visa is valid for Austria only (it is not a Schengen visa), but it
         entitles the bearer to pass through other Schengen countries in order to get to Austria.

         (4) Visitor-Travel Visa (Visa D+C)

         Starting January 1, 2006, the visitor-travel visa (Visa D+C) allows you to work temporarily under clearly
         specified circumstances (e.g. artist or entertainer on short-term engagement) in Austria. Please note that
         you need the visa D+C to legally take up a temporary employment even if you are allowed to enter Austria
         without a visa and your stay does not exceed three months. The visitor-travel visa gives you the right to
         both stay in Austria for up to six months and travel within Schengen for up to three months.

         Application Procedure

         The first-time application for a visa has to be submitted at the respective Austrian representative authority
         (embassy, consulate-general); and it is only possible to apply for the visa from abroad before leaving for

           ALBANIA                                                                              Opening Hours:
           Embassy of Austria                                                                   Monday: 10.00-12.00
           Rruga Frederik Shiroka Nr. 3, Tirana                                                 Wen: 10.00-12.00
           Tel,: (+355/4) 274 855, -856                                                         Fri: 10.00-12.00
           Fax: (+355/4) 233 140
           BOSNIA AND HERCEGOVINA                                                               Opening Hours:
           Embassy of Austria                                                                   Monday-Friday 08.00-11.00
           Dzidzikovac 7, BiH-71000 Sarajewo

    Following countries are parties to the Schengen Agreement:
    Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary,
    Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lichtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia,
    Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Schwitzerland, United Kingdom,
 Tel.: (+387/33) 279 400, - 419
 Fax: (+387/33) 668 339
 Web: ,
 CROATIA                                                               Opening Hours:
 Embassy of Austria                                                    Monday-Friday 09.00-12.00
 Jabukovac 39
 10 000, Zagreb
 Tel.: +385 1 4834457 and/or +385 1 4834459
 Fax: +385 1 4834 461
 The FORMER YUGOSLAV REPUBLIC OF MACEDONIA                             Opening Hours:
 Embassy of Austria                                                    Monday-Friday 08.15-11.00
 Mile Popjordanov 8, MK-1000 Skopje
 Tel.: (+389/2) 3083 400, (+389/2) 3083 700 (Visa)
 Fax: (+389/2) 3083 150
 MONTENEGRO                                                            Opening Hours:
 Embassy of Austria                                                    Monday-Friday 09.00-12.00
 Kralja Nikole 104, MNE-81000 Podgorica
 Tel.: (+382/20) 601 580, (+382/20) 601 450
 Fax: (+382/20) 624 344

 Honorary Consulate
 Hotel "Mogren", Budva
 Phone: +382-86-403 324
 Fax: +382-86-4030324
 Email: osterreich_counc@cg.yu
 SERBIA                                                                Opening hours
 Embassy of Austria                                                    Parteienverkehr: Monday-Friday 08.30 -
 Kneza Sime Markovica 2, Belgrade                                      11.00 Uhr
 Phone: +381-11-3031956                                                Passausgabe: Monday-Friday 14.00 -
 Fax: +381-11-635606                                                   15.00 Uhr

Requirements and documents

1.Valid and signed passport or travel document (Passport/travel document must be valid for at least three
months beyond date of leaving Schengen zone. In the case of minors, notarized signature of parent or
guardian is required.),
2.Two visa application forms, completed and signed,
3.Two recent pictures (passport format, colour, front view),
4. Proof of the purpose of travel (e.g. admission ticket, etc.),
5. Proof of accommodation, as well as of sufficient means of support (hotel reservation, proof income, etc.),
6. Proof of travel insurance or health/accident insurance providing worldwide coverage: stating name of
insurant, type of coverage (medical emergencies including repatriation) and amount of coverage of at least
€ 30,000,
7. Proof of family and/or economic bonds to the home country (guarantee that visitor will leave the
country): e.g.: proof of employment, studies, family bonds in the home country (married, widowed,
parents, children, etc.),
8.Visas of countries you intend to visit after your stay in Austria,
9. Personal application and one set of photocopies of all supporting documents.

Additional requirements

(1) If you are travelling to Austria as a tourist:
    • confirmed hotel-reservation

   •    confirmation of tour
   •    recent bank-statement, stamped and signed by your bank
   •    letter of continued employment and recent statement of income

(2) If you are visiting friends or family:
    • original of notarized letter of guarantee/invitation (Verpflichtungserklärung)
    • original bank-statement or proof of income of your host in Austria
    • copy of registration form of your host (Meldezettel)
    • copy of your host's valid passport (photo- and visa-pages)

 (3) If you are travelling on business:
   • original letter from your company stating reason for your stay in Austria
   • Original letter of invitation (Verpflichtungserklärung), duly signed by a representative (manager,
       executive officer) of the Austrian company. Both the number of stays required in Austria and the
       time period covered (listed in numbers, e.g. 20 days) must be stated.
   • original of notarized excerpt of official registry of companies in Austria (Auszug aus Firmenregister)

(4) If you are participating in a student program (less than six months):
    • original Letter of institution
    • original proof of registration
    • proof of sufficient financial means (e.g. scholarship, letter of grants, bank statement of last two
        months [parent's account accepted], other proof of income)
    • proof of lodging in Austria (e.g. lease contract, ownership papers)

Useful Links for additional information on entry requirements

 Austrian Foreign                         Information regarding
 Ministry           Federal Ministry for European and International Affairs          visa issues
                    Minoritenplatz 8
                    A-1014 Vienna                                                    List indicating visa
                    Tel: +43 50 11 50-0                                              obligations
                    Fax:+43 50 11 59-0
                    Service: ext 4411
                    Passport and Visa matters: ext 3900
                                                                                     embassies and
                     (Schengen) Visa
                    visa.html                                                        Application Form
                                                                                     (English, German)
 Ministry of the (stay of up to 6 months)                 Information on short
 Interior  (residence of more than 6           and long-stay visas
 Government                         Help-Service for
 Agency Help Site                                                                    foreign citizens:
                                                                                     Information on living
                                                                                     and working in
 Researcher’s                                      Practical information
 Mobility Portal                                                                     on living and working
 Austria                                                                             in Austria

3. Immigration for Employment purposes
Conditions for entry and stay of foreign workers

For non EU citizens to take up legal gainful employment in Austria a valid certificate of residence, like a
settlement permit (Niederlassungsbewilligung) or a temporary residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis) is

Under the provisions of the "Act on the Employment of Foreigners" (Ausländerbeschäftigungsgesetz) an
employment permit is also required in order for a foreigner to carry out work in Austria as an employee of a
foreign company. This regulatory instrument has the aim of ensuring a balanced relationship between
supply and demand on the Austrian labour market.

A work permit is given by the labour authorities. It does not allow the candidate to travel to or reside in
Austria. Once the work permit has been approved the candidate should apply for a residence visa (type D).

Please note: a Schengen (type C) visa is not sufficient to take up employment with a work permit.

Employment of foreign nationals

Basic Requirements

1.Any business visit in excess of ninety days over an aggregate period of six months will require a work
2. Employment Activities" require a work permit. For immigration purposes, employment activities are
evidenced by:
a. Activities that primarily benefit an Austrian employer.
b. A relationship between the Austrian employer and the foreign national whereby the foreign national is
subordinate to the Austrian company.
c. The foreign national is paid from the Austrian company's payroll.
d. Foreigners being employed by the Austrian company (e.g. an office, business cards, or regularly
scheduled hours).

Process Overview

Obtaining Employment Authorization for a foreign national to work in Austria requires three steps:
1. Certificate of Guarantee;
2. Resident Permit; and,
3. Work permit

Please note:

      •   Employees who will work in Austria for more than three months on a project lasting no more than
          six months must obtain a special permit called an "Entsendebewilligung." No Residence Permit is
      •   A foreign national cannot change status to an employment- based permit while in Austria.

(1)        Certificate of Guarantee

To activate the work permit application process, the Austrian employer must apply for a Certificate of
Guarantee ("Sicherungsbescheinigung") with the local Labour Office ("Arbeitsmarktservice") that has
jurisdiction over the intended place of work. The Austrian employer must submit the following:

      •   Application form;
      •   Letter from the Austrian employer, detailing the nature of the Austrian organization, the nature of
          the assignment, the duties the employee will perform, the qualifications of the employee, and the
          compensation to be paid;
      •   Documentation of the reason for employing a foreign national (special expertise, technical skills
      •   Copies of the employee's academic credentials;
      •   Detailed resume of the employee.

Please note:
Once the work permit application is signed and all corporate documentation is provided by the Austrian
employer, the application can be submitted to the Austrian authorities. Processing of the application will
take at least 6 to 8 weeks.

(2)         Employment permit

Employment permits (Beschäftigungsbewilligung) are granted to individual foreigners following application
by the prospective employer. Employment permits entitle their holders to take up legal gainful employment
at a clearly defined workplace in Austria.

(3)         Work permit

Persons who have been legally employed with employment permits for 52 weeks may apply for a work
permit (Arbeitserlaubnis).

These are non-transferrable permits and are issued for a specific province, allowing holders to choose their
employer and type of employment. The employer merely has to report commencement (including main
wage and working conditions) and termination of a person’s employment to the relevant regional Public
Employment Service (AMS).

Please note:
Once the work permit application is approved, the candidate will need to make a residence visa application
in their usual country of residence. The candidate will probably need to present a police clearance
certificate and an original birth certificate to be granted this visa, so it is worthwhile assembling these
documents in advance.

Please note:
An Austrian work permit is generally valid for an initial period of one year and in some instances for a
two-year period. Extensions in annual increments are possible.
All foreign nationals taking up residence in Austria must register their name and address with
the local Registration Office within three days of arrival.

(4)         Certificate of exemption

Foreigners who have been issued certificates of exemption (Befreiungsschein) are put on an equal status
with Austrian employees.

To apply for a certificate of exemption the following requirements must be met:
    • A minimum of five years employment during the past eight years (registered employment)
    • Completion of a full final year of compulsory schooling in Austria, provided the person has a
        permanent residence permit (Niederlassungsbewilligung) and one of their parents lived and worked
        legally in Austria for three years during the previous five years.

    •    Foreigners who have been married to an Austrian for a minimum of five years (for married
         foreigners the act governing employment of foreigners (AuslBG) does not apply). In the event of
         death spouses may immediately apply for a certificate of exemption. Residence in Austria is
    •    Foreigners who met the requirements for a certificate of exemption as young persons or because of
         EEA citizenship of one of their parents did not fall under the AuslBG, provided they have legally
         lived in Austria for a minimum of two and a half years during the past five years.

Please note:
Certificates of exemption are non-transferrable permits and are valid for five years for all of Austria. Holders
may choose their employers, the type of employment and location anywhere in Austria. Employers have to
report commencement and termination of employment.
Employers need not apply for employment permits. Certificates of exemption are issued by the relevant
regional labour market service.

Further information is available at the relevant authorities:
           Federal Ministry of the Interior:
           Ministry of Economics and Labour:
           Public Employment Service (AMS):

Job search

 Public Employment        Austrian Employment Service (AMS) of Vienna                  Service Centre; Information on job
 Service (AMS)            Landstraßer Hauptstr. 55-57                                  search, recruitment bureaux etc.
                          A-1030 Vienna
                          Tel.: +43 1 878 71
                          Fax: +43 1 878 71-50490
                                            e-Job- Room for Jobseekers:
                                                                                       placement platform (user account
                                                                                       with storage of personal or
                                                                                       company data, or search profile
                                                                                       without individual user account)
                                                       Career Information System (BIS):
                                                                                       list of professions including
                                                                                       necessary qualifications
 EURES              Information on Linving, working and
                          Id=490&lang=en&countryId=AT                                  Jobseeking in Austria

 Republic of Austria                                    Job-search Pool
 Social partners          Federation of Austrian Industry                              Job- search Pool
 Newspapers               Austria Today:
                          Österreich Nachrichten:
                          Salzburger Nachrichten:
                          Kronen Zeitung:
                          Kleine Zeitung:
                          Die Presse:
                          Der Standard:
                          Tiroler Tageszeitung:

 Other employment        Jobpilot:
 services                Career services:
                         Jobs in Austria:

 Au Pairing    
 Seasonal Workers        AMS:                                     Information on your rights and
                         Austrian Chamber of Labour:   obligations as an employee should
                         Austrain     Trade        Union      Federation  (ÖGB):    be obtained from the Chamber of
                                                        Labour and trade unions prior to
                                                                                    starting a new job.

Labour market sectors experiencing shortages

  Health care sector: e.g. Home nursing
  Social work activities
  Construction sector
  Industry and Manufacture: e.g. metal structures and parts of structures
  Industrial cleaning
  Agriculture and gardening sector
  High- skilled workers: financial and technology sector

Please note:
Austria is regulating these labour market shortages through labour market tests and a yearly quota system,
work permit restriction or short-term work permits. Employment of migrants form the new EU member
states in particular.

Quota systems and bilateral labour agreements

Austrian upper limit system

The number of foreign nationals who are allowed to work in Austria is controlled by the upper limit system
(upper limits at federal and provincial level to ensure controlled entry of foreign workers).

This system stipulates that (at present) the total number of employed and unemployed foreign
nationals must not exceed 8% of the Austrian labour force. All foreign nationals employed within
the framework of an employment permit, short-term or long-term work permit are included in this quota. If
this quota is exceeded, only specific groups of people can be conferred a pre-employment permit and an
employment permit when it is considered in the interests of the public and general economic good up to a
maximum of 9%. Access to the Austrian labour market is still possible for the following cases:

    •   Young foreign nationals after gaining a school leaving certificate in Austria when one parent is also
        working in Austria;
    • War refugees in the framework of the law governing foreign nationals;
    • Managers and particularly highly qualified employees (in particular when their employment is
        accompanied by the transfer of capital and the opening of new branches in Austria);
    • Foreign nationals whose access to the labour market is foreseen in bilateral agreements;
    • Frontier commuters for an employer who has employed them for at least 6 months of the previous
    • Limited seasonal permits in the fields of agriculture, forestry and tourism;
    • Employees of a foreign employer placed in Austria;
    • Integrated foreign nationals who have lived in Austria for at least 8 years
Migration quotas

According to the official position, the main tool for regulating immigration in Austria is a migration quota.
Over 2002–2004 the general migration quota was set at about 8,000 persons per year.

This quota also includes:
    • A sub-quota for family reunification for third country nationals, which in 2005 was set at 5,460
    • Only a marginal part of the quota for permits for labour migration for highly qualified personnel.
    • Supplementary quotas for temporary migration (ranging from a few weeks to six months). The
        maximum annual number for these permits has been 8,000 for those with a maximum duration of
        six months, and 7,000 with a maximum duration of six weeks (traditionally harvest workers),

Special restriction and provisions by sector

    •   Qualified personnel:Labour immigration is restricted to ‘qualified personnel’, and there are special
        provisions for the health-sector. Other professions have access to temporary employment only.
    •   Health care personnel: following pressures of the provincial governments, who run most hospitals
        and have the political responsibility for care-taking institutions, this threshold was lowered in 2004
        for health and caretaking professions from the ‘new’ Member States to 40 per cent of the
        threshold, as trained nurses, for example, start their career with considerably lower wages.
    •   Seasonal employment: special provisions and a special quota exist for ‘seasonal’ employment,
        which is defined as employment up to six months (renewable once after two months of absence).
        For this type of employment, there are no restrictions with regard to profession, industrial sector,
        income or qualification.

Furthermore, there are bilateral agreements with neighbouring ‘new’ Member States for
commuters and temporary employment for training purposes.

Useful Links on employment issues and work permits

 Austrian                     Information and contact of
 Foreign                                                                          Austrian Representations
                           Information regarding visa issues

                                                                                  List indicating visa obligations
                Buergerservice_Zentrale/3782_einreisevoraussetzungen_nach__ster   Visa application form

 Federal                                             Information on residence,
 Ministry of                                                                      migration and asylum issues
 the Interior   Bundesministerium für Inneres                                     (German only)
                Herrengasse 7
                Postfach 100
                A-1014 Wien
                Tel.: +43 1 531 26-0
                Fax: +43 1 53126 108613
         Information on residence permits
                weckeV20060111.pdf                                                and residence purposes (English,
                                                                                  Croatian, Serbian)
       (stay of up to 6 months)
       (residence of more than 6 months)
         Information on integration
                vereinbarung.pdf                                                  requirements and agreement

         Information on application
                ustaendigkeit_Erst-Verlaengerungsantrag.pdf                     procedure and responsible

                    Application forms for residence
                                                                                and settlement permits

 Work and       Austrian Trade Union Federation (AK)                            General Employment Terms &
 Labour                                    Conditions Information

                Austrian Trade Union Federation (ÖGB)                           General Employment Terms &
                                                    Conditions Information

 Federal         BMWA
 Ministry of    Stubenring 1
 Economics      A-1010 Vienna
 and Labour     Tel: +43 1 711 00-5555
 (BMWA)         The Citizens Service (Bürgerservice)

4. Immigration for Study purposes
4.1. Conditions of entry and stay for students

For entry into Austria, the regulations concerning the rights and status of aliens (concerning visa and
residence permits) and after arrival in Austria, the regulations concerning registration (registration at your
place of residence) have to be observed.

Third country nationals need an entry or residence permit for entry into and residence in Austria. The type of
permit depends on the length and purpose of the stay.

            (1) For stays for a maximum of 6 months

Students from third countries need, provided that they stay for no longer than 6 months, either:

    •   A travel visa C (Reisevisum C) for entry to and residence in Austria for a stay of a maximum of 90
        days (except students who are allowed to enter Austria without a visa)
    •   A residence visa D (Aufenthaltsvisum D) for entry to and residence in Austria for a stay of at least 91
        days and a maximum of 6 months.

Visas have to be applied personally for at the competent Austrian representation authority (embassy,
consulate-general) before leaving for Austria and it will be issued by this authority. The visa cannot be
renewed in Austria.

Please note:
Students who are allowed to enter Austria without a visa, need no visa for staying up to 3 months (Croatian
students). They are allowed to apply for a residence permit after arrival in Austria. The submission of such
an application does not provide the right of abode which exceeds the allowed visa-exempt residence.

The travel document plus visa has to be carried at all times to prove your entitlement to residence in Austria.


    •   Fully completed and signed application form
    •   Recent colour photo with size between 3.5 x 4.5 cm and 4.0 x 5.0 cm
    •   Valid passport + photocopies of all pages that contain entries and stamps
    •   Proof of accommodation in Austria: e.g. by tenancy contract, accommodation contract of a student
        hall of residence or ÖAD-Housing confirmation
    •   Proof of a health insurance that is valid in Austria (or confirmation of the award of a scholarship by
        the ÖAD
    •   Proof of your activities and of funding for your stay in Austria: e.g. employment contract with the
        university; confirmation of the award of a scholarship by the ÖAD
    •   Return flight ticket, if available

Please note:
During its validity period the travel visa C also entitles you to travelling through other Schengen countries and
to staying in these countries.

After having entered Austria with or without a visa you are not allowed to take up any employment.

          (2) For stays for more than 6 months

Students from third countries pursuing degree programme studies or university courses in Austria of more
than 6 months need a residence permit "student" for entry and residence in Austria.

In principle the application for this permit has to be submitted personally at the competent Austrian
representation authority (embassy, consulate-general) abroad before leaving for Austria.

Please note:
The application will be forwarded and processed in Austria by the competent authority. The decision has to
be awaited in one's home country, therefore you should apply at least 3 months before the intended
entry into Austria. If the Austrian authority decides to grant you the permit, the representation authority will
issue a residence visa D for entry to Austria (you have to apply for this visa within 3 months of getting the
The residence permit has to be collected in Austria within 6 months of getting the information.

Exception: People who are allowed to enter Austria (Croatian students) can apply for the residence permit
during their visa-free stay in Austria (the application, however, does not permit you to stay longer than your
visa-free stay).


    •   Fully completed and signed application form for a residence permit for students
    •   Recent colour photograph with size between 3.5 x 4.5 cm and 4.0 x 5.0 cm
    •   Valid passport
    •   Birth certificate
    •   Notification of admission of the university or university of applied sciences or other educational
    •   Proof of financial means to finance one’s stay: for students up to 24 years at least EUR 412.54 per
        month, for older students at least EUR 747.00 per month [status of 2008];
    •   Proof of accommodation in Austria: e.g. tenancy contract, accommodation contract of a student hall
        of residence, ÖAD Housing confirmation
    •   Proof of health insurance ("travel health insurance") valid from entry to beginning of your studies in
        Austria (or to the beginning of your student insurance, respectively)
    •   Police record/certificate of good conduct (where available).

All documents have to be submitted in the original and in photocopy. All documents have to be legalised and
documents in languages other than German or English have to be submitted together with a legalised
German translation.

Please note: Students who may enter into Austria without visa may pass the exam without a visa and may
apply afterwards for their residence permits in Austria within their visa-free stay


Within 3 working days of entry into Austria you have to register with the registration office (Meldeamt) in
your place of residence (municipal authorities).

Required documents:
   • Travel documents
   • Birth certificate
   • Marriage certificate and/or proof of academic titles as applicable
   • Registration form, available from the registration office

Please note: Any change of the residential address has to be reported to the registration office within three
working days, any change of other data has to be reported within one month.

The confirmation of registration (Meldebestätigung) should be kept safe because you will need it for certain
dealings with the authorities (e.g. for a renewal of your residence or domicile permit).

Entering Austria with a tourist visa (visa C) is not recommended because with such a visa you may neither
apply for a residence permit nor collect the residence permit in Austria. A tourist visa cannot be renewed in
Austria. In case of a successful course of study the residence permit may be renewed in Austria. For this a
confirmation of the successful course of study (“Studienerfolgsnachweis”) is necessary.

4.2. Application for Admission to Study

The application and necessary documents are to be sent directly to the university, the university of applied
sciences or other degree programme (applications submitted to the Austrian representative authorities will be
forwarded to the educational institution - applications must arrive at the university on time, please bear in
mind that forwarding may take some time, submission of the application at the representative authority does
not extend the deadlines!). Some universities offer a "pre-registration of data" via Internet and will then send
specific information to the applicant via e-mail.

Requirements for Admission to Austrian Universities

The following requirements must be fulfilled for the matriculation of a foreign citizen (or a stateless person)
as a regular student in Austrian university degree programmes:

    •   A place is available at the university for the desired course of study.
    •   The applicant has an A-level or high school diploma, that can be considered equivalent to an Austrian
        Matura examination certification, or can furnish proof of completion of a three-year (minimum) study
        at another post-secondary educational institution.
    •   The certification must be sufficient for acceptance to the desired course of study, at a university in
        that country in which it was acquired. Any study-related requirements (entrance examination) must
        be fulfilled in the country in which the A-level or high school diploma was issued.
    •   If the desired course of study in Austria is not offered in the home country, then proof of next closest
        course of study is to be furnished. Only if the country does not have a university does this proof not
        need to be submitted.
    •   In addition, the applicant must have sufficient German knowledge. If necessary, an examination is to
        be taken.

Necessary documents
    •   Passport, identity card or proof of citizenship in combination with an official identification with photo;
    •   General university entrance qualification: A-levels, high school diploma or equivalent certification;
        Transcript with grades from the last school year;
    •   Specific university entrance qualification: Proof of the right to direct admission to study the chosen
        field of study in the country in which the document qualifying for university studies was issued.
    •   Proof of proficiency in German: e.g. German in the school leaving certificate; language course
    •   Various filled-out forms (available at the registry offices of the respective universities):
             o Application form for admission
             o Registration form
             o Form for statistics
             o Student document of identification with photograph attached
             o Form for continuation
    •   Second photograph;
    •   Bank receipt indicating payment of the per semester tuition fee if the applicant is not otherwise

Please note: All documents are to be submitted in the original and in a German translation which was
publicly authenticated in the originating country and was last authenticated by the Austrian Representation in
that country. The last authentication is not necessary in those countries whose public authentication is
recognised by Austria because of treaty agreements. Please enquire with the respective university whether or
not a final authentication is necessary.

4.3. Student work

Whether or not foreign students or visiting researchers are allowed to take up gainful employment in Austria
depends on their nationality and the kind of employment.

Students from third countries (outside the EU) who are in possession of a valid residence permit for study
purposes (Aufenthaltsbewilligung "Studierender") are allowed to work to a limited extent and by taking into
account the regulations of the Austrian Act Governing Employment of Foreign Nationals
(Ausländerbeschäftigungsgesetz - AuslBG) which as a rule require a work permit. Please pay close attention
to the following regulations since violation of these regulations may lead to severe fines and to imposition of
a ban on residence! If you are in any doubt please make sure to enquire at the employment office
(Arbeitsmarktservice/AMS) or at an advice organisation before taking up a job.

4.4. Graduate and post-graduate scholarships

Various scholarships programmes are offered by Austrian organisations.

Unilateral scholarship programmes

With a number of unilateral scholarship programmes the Republic of Austria provides the possibility for
foreign students, graduates or professors to study at Austrian universities. The most important of such
scholarships are the following:

Österreich-Stipendium (for graduates), Ernst Mach-Stipendium (for graduates from all fields of study
excluding the arts), Franz Werfel-Stipendium (for university lecturers interested in specialised studies of
Austrian literature at libraries, archives or research institutions), North- South-Dialogue Scholarship (for
postgraduates in the fields of natural sciences, engineering, social sciences and economics, or doctoral

Grant for foreign Students: Ernst Mach Grant
For students from non- European countries for studying a master degree programme (full-time) at an
Austrian university of applied sciences (Fachhochschule).
Eligibility: Students who are studying a master programme at a university in a non-European country or who
have successfully completed at least six semesters of studies within a traditional diploma programme at a
university in a non-European country at the time of taking up the grant.

Application: online at

Students from the countries participating in CEEPUS (Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland,
Romania, Serbia, Montenegro, Slovak Republic and Slovenia) are offered the opportunity to come to
Austria within the framework of existing networks (or as a "Free Mover").

Joint Study Programmes
The universities have funds for Joint Study Programmes, university partnerships, and short-term study grants
abroad at their disposal.

For detailed information about these and other scholarships consult the interactive online scholarship
database GRANTS maintained by the Austrian Exchange Service:

Please note: Most grant / scholarship programmes do not permit gainful employment!

4.5. List of main universities and colleges in Austria

    •   University of Vienna:;
    •   Vienna University of Technology:;
    •   Fachhochschule Technikum Wien:
    •   FH-Studiengänge Campus Wien:
    •   University of Graz:;
    •   Campus 02 – Business Courses (Graz):
    •   Graz University of Technology:;
    •   Medical University Graz:
    •   University of Innsbruck:
    •   MCI - Management Center Innsbruck:
    •   University of Linz:;
    •   University of Salzburg:;
    •   FH-Studiengänge/Applied Science(Salzburg):
    •   University of Klagenfurt:,
    •   Univerity of Krems:
    •   University Preparation Courses: Graz:
    •   University Preparation Courses: Vienna:

 4.6. Useful Links for Studying in Austria

 Study Guides (university courses)                                This electronic study guide provides
          (Specialised College education courses)      information and contact addresses of
                   Austrian Academic Portal:       all Austrian study programmes (in
                                                                                         German and English).

                                                                                         List of main universities and colleges
                   Guide: Study in Austria 2005/06: Austria Welcomes You, Vienna 2004:
                                                                                         and Diploma Programmes, Degree
                   Austrian Exchange Service (ÖAD)
                   A-1090 Wien, Alser Straße 4/1/3/8;
                   Tel.: +43 1/4277-28180, Fax: +43 1/4277-28195

Federal Ministry                                                        Information on studying
of Science and     Bundesministerium für Wissenschaft und Forschung                       in A.; review of the
Research           Minoritenplatz 5                                                       Austrian universities;
                   1014 Wien                                                              the FHStG – the Universities
                   Tel.:+43 (0)1 531 20 DW (0)                                            applied Sciences Studies Act, the
                   Telefax:+43 (0)1 53120-9099                                            Researcher´s Mobility Portal
                                                          Austria etc.

               Information on the recognition of
                   tria/                                                                  diplomas, certificates and
                                                                                          examinations (German)
Government                     Information on Studying in Austria:
Agency Help Site                                                                          Requirements, Application etc.

Austrian Student                                           Detailed information on studying
Union (ÖH)         Taubstummengasse 7-9/4th floor                                         and info material
                   A- 1040 Vienna
                   Tel.: +43 1/ 310 88 80 -27 or -49
Austrian                                Information for all students,
Academic Guest                                                                            including those from non-EEA
Service (OEAD)                                                                            countries

Researcher’s                                      Practical information on working,
Mobility Portal                                                                           studying and living in Austria

German Courses     The Austrian Language Diploma (Österreichisches Sprachdiplom)          Information on German courses at
                                                              universities and private
                                                   institutions; exams etc.

                   Austrian Institute (Österreich Institute):                             Providing Information on German
                                             Courses outside of Austria (South
                                                                                          Eastern Countries)
Grants/                                                            Austrian database for scholarships
Schoolarships              and research grants
                                                                                          Request for scholarships

                                                             Online applications for grants

                Brochure: Financial Aid for
                   Academic Cooperation and Mobility Unit (ACM) of the ÖAD,               Authority for awarding grants on
                   Alser Straße 4/1/15/7; A-1090 Vienna                                   behalf of and financed by the
                   Tel.: +43 1/4277-28188,                                                Federal Ministry of Science and
                    Fax: +43 1/4277-28194                                                 Research (BMWF)
                   ÖAD homepage:
Visa and           Austrian Exchange Service:          Entry and Residence Regulations
Residence permit                                                                          (with downloads of all application
                   Ministry of the Interior:    forms and addresses of the
                                                                                          competent Austrian authorities
Registration   List of competent authorities for
                   ei&system=Produktionssystem                                            registration for all municipalities

                                                                                          Download residence registration

5. Residence

5.1. For the purpose of gainful employment

Settlement permit

    •   settlement permit for a key person ( up to 18 months in case of granting first permit; includes access
        to labour market as a key person);
    •   unlimited settlement permit: includes full access to labour market;
    •   limited settlement permit: e.g. in cases of family reunion; self-employed activity permitted, other
        employment permitted only with additional document issued by AMS.

„Permanent residence – ECC“

After 5 years of uninterrupted residence; it includes full access to labour market.

Residence permit

    •   Rotational worker (necessary document issued by AMS: confirmation of guaranteed work or
        employment permit as rotational worker);
    •   Persons dispatched by an enterprise (necessary document issued by AMS: confirmation of
        guaranteed work or employment permit as rotational worker; employment for more than 6 months);
    •   Self-employed persons (if foreigner is contractually committed to one particular activity and if such
        commitment will last for more than 6 months; AMS might be dealing with such);
    •   Artists (self-employed or employed; activity is predominantly determined by artistic activities and self-
        maintenance is covered by such; liability declaration not accepted; in case of employment one of the
        following documents issued by AMS is necessary: confirmation of guaranteed work or employment
        permit as artist);
    •   Special cases of employment activity (if activity is exempted by the law on employment of foreigners:
        proof of circumstances for exemption necessary);
    •   Researchers (against presentation of an admission agreement issued by a certified research

5.2. For long-term resident status – EC (LTR EC)

Immigrants having been residing legally and continuously in Austria for at least five years are entitled to be
issued an unlimited ‘long-term residence status – EC’.

Periods of interruption of stay in Austria must not exceed ten months on the whole or six months without
interruption; periods of absence for professional activities in other EU countries do not harm. In exceptional
cases such as due to a serious illness or if s/he has to meet a social or a military type duty the holder may
leave Austria for up to 24 months without having the residency period for acquiring the LTR status
interrupted if the authority has been informed thereof and this is on record (Par. 45 SRA).

Requirements for acquiring long-term resident status

    •   Stable and sufficient income: Residence may not lead to a financial burden of the state – NEW: this is
        the case if the alien has a certain and regular amount of money which secures his/her living without
        having to rely on social assistance money and corresponds to an amount set by the General Law on
        Social Security (Par. 11 section 4 subsection 5 SRA).
    •   Submission of a health certificate (introduced by the reform of 2002) continues to be a requirement
        (Par. 11 section 7 SRA).

    •   Public policy and public security (NEW) (Par. 11 section 4 subsection 2 SRA): Residence of the alien
        may not be in conflict with public interests which is the case if the alien has a close relationship to a
        extremist or terrorist group and with regard to existing structures or future developments extremist
        or terrorist acts by this group cannot be excluded.

5.3. Useful Links for residence permits and requirements

 Austrian Foreign                         Information regarding visa issues
                                                                                             List indicating visa obligations
                       Buergerservice_Zentrale/3782_einreisevoraussetzungen_nach__sterreic   Visa application form

 Federal Ministry of                                                 Information on residence, migration
 the Interior                                                                                and asylum issues
                       Bundesministerium für Inneres                                         (German only)
                       Herrengasse 7
                       Postfach 100
                       A-1014 Wien
                       Tel.: +43 1 531 26-0
                       Fax: +43 1 53126 108613
                      Information on residence permits
                       szweckeV20060111.pdf                                                  and residence purposes (English,
                                                                                             Croatian, Serbian)
              (stay of up to 6 months)
                  (residence of more than 6
                 Information on integration
                       einbarung.pdf                                                         requirements and agreement

              Information on application
                       endigkeit_Erst-Verlaengerungsantrag.pdf                           procedure and responsible

                                 Application forms for residence and
                                                                                             settlement permits

                            General information on
 Help Gov                                                                                    Residence titles, application
                                                                                             requirements and contact

6. Asylum

Brief summary of the national asylum policy

Concerning asylum procedure in general, Austria has a two step-system: the Federal Asylum Office
(Bundesasylamt) as first instance and the Independent Federal Senate for Asylum (Unabhängiger
Bundesasylsenat) as instance for Appeals. The ministry of Interior (MoI) is the competent ministry for
asylum issues. With the asylum law 2004, the asylum application procedure has been split into an
admission and a substantive asylum procedure; additionally, the responsibility of care for asylum seekers
has been distributed between the federal state of Austria and its provinces.


The admission procedure must take place in one of the three Initial Reception Centers, called EAST west
(Traiskirchen), EAST east (Thalham) and Airport. Once the admission procedure ends with a positive
decision, the applicant enters the regular asylum procedure and starts to be subject of the Federal Law
Regulating the Provision of Federal Care for Asylum Applicants. As a consequence, the applicant enters the
federal care system if his/her neediness is confirmed.

During stay in Austria

The Grundversorgungsvereinbarung (Basic Welfare Support Agreement), an agreement between the
Austrian Federal State and its provinces concerning basic care for asylum seekers, has changed the former
federal care system. It has shifted some responsibility for asylum applicants from the federal state to the
provinces, thus involving costs and organization of accommodation. This system of basic care comprises:
accommodation, board, money, monthly pocket money, medical examination, medical insurance, articles
and transport costs for pupils etc.

Due to failed negotiations between the MoI and a consortium of Austrian NGOs, the government instructed
the private company European Homecare to run the federal care centers, support asylum applicants and
provide return counseling since 2003.


Austria makes the access to the labour market for asylum applicants dependent on the needs of the labour
market. Although asylum applicants are eligible to self employment, only few applicants get a work permit.

Useful Links

 Federal Ministry for   Bundesministerium für Inneres (BM.I)                                            Information on asylum
 the Interior           Herrengasse 7                                                                   issues
                        A-1014 Vienna
                        Tel.: ++43-(0)1/531-26-0

 Asylum and Aliens’     Asyl- und Fremdenwesen Informationszentrum                  für   Asyl   und
 System                 Integration
 Information            Bräunerstraße 5
 Centre for Asylum      A-1014 Vienna
 and                    Tel.: ++43-(0)1/53126-5224; -5223
 Integration            Web:
 Federal Asylum         Headquarters
 Authorities            (Bundesasylamt – Zentrale)
                        Landstraßer Hauptstraße 171
                        A-1030 Vienna
                        Tel: ++43-(0)1/7144063-0
                        Fax: ++43-(0)1/53126-5914
 Federal police         Bundespolizei
                        Herrengasse 7
                        A-1014 Vienna
                        Tel.: ++43-(0)1/531-26-0
 EMN: National                                                                      Information on
 Contactpoint                                                                                           migrants,
 Austria within the                                                                                     asylumseekers, and
 European                                                                                               refugees iin Austria
 Migration Network                                                                                      (statistics, laws,
 IOM Austria            Special Liaison Mission         in   Austria   and   to   the   International
                        Organizations in Vienna

 UNHCR Austria       Web:

 Caritas Austria     Web:                                          Support and advice
                                                                                         for asylum seekers

7. Family reunification

Family Reunion with third country sponsors

The residence permit "family member" ["Familienangehöriger"] applies to third countries citizens who:
   • are the family members (spouses and underage, unmarried children) of Austrians or EU/EEA citizens
   • intending to unite their families
   • permanently reside in Austria and
   • are not entitled to free movement within the EU.

Who is entitled to this type of family reunion?

    •   Spouses who have reached the age of 18; and
    •   Minor and celibate children, including adopted and step children, until the age of 18; no more
        requirement to submit application before the age of 15.


    •   Level of income above social security level;
    •   Legal entitlement to adequate housing;
    •   Health certificate;
    •   Signing of a ”integration agreement“ introduced by the reform of 2002; and
    •   No criminal record.

Responsible authorities for applications

Austrian representations abroad: embassy or consulate

Issuance of residence permits

For a permanent residence card apply to your local Austrian Foreigners’ Offices. The local Foreigners’ Office
[Fremdenbehörde] responsible for the place of residence of the Austrian or EU/EEA citizen concerned can
be either:

    •   The state governor [Landeshauptmann] or
    •   The administrative district authority [Bezirksverwaltungsbehörde], authorised by the state governor:
           o the district administration [Bezirkshauptmannschaft];
           o in statutory cities: the Magistrate [Magistrat];
           o in Vienna: Municipal Department 35 [MA 35]

8. Health Care System
Visiting a doctor

Generally, you do not have to pay in advance. If you are a student or working fulltime in Austria, you have
to bring some insurance certificate. It is generally possible to leave a deposit if you need urgent medical

If you are covered by private travel or health insurance, you pay via bank transfer. Afterwards, you will
generally be reimbursed by your insurance company (keep the receipt!). Not all treatments are covered by
public or private insurances. Check with the doctor and/or the insurance company.

A monthly contribution of, on average, € 67 provides an insured person and his/her dependants with
comprehensive cover: treatment by general practitioners, hospital care, etc.

In cases of medical emergency, dial 144 for help.


If you are studying or working in Austria, treatment in hospitals is for free except for a small
contribution called “co-payment” depending on your insurance. When travelling in Austria check
with your insurance company prior to departure which treatments and emergencies are covered. Hospitals
and physicians generally do not accept credit cards.

More details

The Foreign Patients Service of the Vienna medical association (Ärztekammer für Wien) can provide
information on medical services in Vienna, including details of English-speaking doctors in the region. For
further information, visit their website or call the Foreign Patients Service.

The Vienna City Council website also includes a search facility for doctors and pharmacies in Vienna, under
the heading ‘Gesundheit’ / ‘Ärzteinnen und Ärzte’/ ‘Wiener Ärzte/innen’. This search facility is also available
in English.

9. Social Insurance System

In Austria, employees whose income exceeds the income limit of € 333.16 per month are
covered by social security. Registration with the appropriate social security institution is mandatory;
every person is to pay social security contributions.


Employers are responsible for registering their employees with the appropriate social security institution.
Every person is assigned a social security number with the registration.


Social security contributions of employees are shared between employers and employees; these
contributions are automatically deducted at source. The amount of social security contributions depends
whether the employee is a blue or white-collar employee, apprentice, minimum-income employee, etc.

Special regulations for students and low-income employees
Employees with remuneration below the low-income limit as well as students are only covered by parts
of the social security system (accident insurance). Employees with income below the income limit are
eligible for voluntary health and/or pension insurance.


(1) Health insurance including maternity protection (prevention care and maternity care): automatic and
free insurance protection for family members (subject to certain preconditions) and childcare allowance. It
covers the following: treatment by doctors and dentists, hospital care, medicines, home medical care,
psychotherapy clinical psychology, medical rehabilitation, ergo therapy, sickness benefit, reimbursement
(e.g. doctor of one's choice) and contributions towards expenses (e.g. dentures)

More details:

(2) Accident insurance: protection against accidents at the workplace and vocational illnesses and their
consequences, e.g. invalidity and occupational incapacity etc.

More details: and (accident insurance)

(3) Pension insurance. Eligibility requirements:

    •   Attainment of retirement age
    •   Contribution periods:
               minimum of 180 contribution months, i.e. 15 contribution years, whereby the child-raising
               periods before 1st of January 2005 will be considered
               and thereof minimum of 84 contribution months i.e. 7 years attributable to employment
    •   Apart from the old-age pension, the following pension types exist:
               early old-age pension for long-term insured
               step-by-step retirement pension
               heavy labour pension (from 1st of January 2007)
               interim allowance
               occupational incapacity, invalidity and occupational disability pension
               surviving dependents pension

More details:

(4) Unemployment insurance: these are for instance, unemployment benefit payments, social welfare,
special social welfare, pension advances.

The Austrian Employment Service (AMS) is responsible for unemployment insurance benefits in Austria.
Claims for unemployment benefits may only be made in person at the competent regional office. If you
become unemployed, you should contact your regional office as soon as possible to make all arrangements
for receiving your unemployment benefits.

Receipt of unemployment benefit is possible when the qualifying period (Anwartschaft) has been satisfied:

    •   the unemployed has been employed for at least 26 weeks over the past 12 months (applies to
        persons up to their 25th birthday) or
    •   the unemployed has been employed for at least 52 weeks over the past 24 months (applies to
        persons over 25 upon initial claim), or
    •   the unemployed was employed for at least 28 weeks during the past year (applies to additional
In general, unemployment benefits may be received for up to 20 weeks. Under certain circumstances, it
may go up to 30 weeks. Older employees who have long working periods and are in the reemployment
scheme may receive unemployment benefits for up to three to four years.

During the receipt of unemployment benefits, you and your family members continue to be covered by
health insurance.

More details: (Financial issues)

(5) Social Welfare Benefits

    •   Public assistance from the province (Sozialhilfe)
    •   Personal care and long-term care insurance (Pflegevorsorge and Pflegeversicherung)

Eligibility requirements

If entitlements to unemployment benefits or parental-leave allowance have been exhausted and you
continue to be unemployed, social welfare benefit can be claimed if:
    • the job seeker is at the disposal of the employment service, and in particular is able and willing to
         work and is unemployed,
    • the claimant is in dire straits.

The financial situation of the applicant and their partner will be examined prior to granting social welfare
benefits. If the income of the partner exceeds a certain amount, no social welfare will be granted.

More details:
Public Employment Service Austria (AMS) (Financial issues)
Federal Ministry of Social Affairs and Consumer Protection: (Social Welfare)

Useful Links for Social Security and medical service issues

 Federal Ministry of       BMSG                                                                   General and practical
 Social Affairs and        Stubenring 1                                                           information on the
 Consumer Protection       A-1010 Vienna                                                          Austrian Social Policy
                           Tel: +43 1 711 00-0                                                    System:
                           Fax: +43 1 533 78 71                                                   social policy, social
                                                                                                  security, consumer
                           The Citizens Service: Tel: +43 1 711 00 -4266                          protection, long-term
                           Social hotline: 0800/20 16 11                                          care, disability issues,
                           E-mail:                                      ageing, volunteering
                           WEB:                                             etc.
 Social Security                                        Information on the
 System                                                                                           Austrian Social Security

                    Social security
                           p_id=5&p_menuid=507&pub_id=1148                                        contribution rates
 Health Insurance          http://www.wgkk.a t (Vienna)
 Funds            (Burgenland)
                  (Lower Austria)
                  (Upper Austria)
                  (Gewerbliche Sozialversicherungsanstalt
                           (Social Security Institution for Trade and Industry))
 Medical Services                                             Austrian Medical

                    Foreign medical
                        cle                                                                 doctors
                        Foreign Patients Service:            Information on
                                                                                            medical services
                        AMBER- MED                                                          Free Medical services
                        Ober-Laaer- Str. 300-306, Vienna                                    for people and
                        Tel.: 01-589 00-847                                                 vulnerable groups
                        E-mail:                                       without health
                        Web:                                      insurance
Useful addresses        Main Association of Austrian Social Security Institutions           Information on
                        (Hauptverband der Österreichischen Sozialversicherungsträger)       Social Security
                        Kundmanngasse 21                                                    Institutions: Costs and
                        A-1030 Vienna                                                       Benefits
                        Tel: +43 1 711 32-0
                        Fax: +43 1 711 32-3777
                        Regional Health Insurance Fund of Vienna (Gebietskrankenkasse)
                        Wienerbergstraße 15-19
                        A-1100 Vienna
                        Tel: +43 1 601 22-0
                        Fax: +43 1 602 46 13
                        Pension Insurance Institution (Pensionsversicherungsanstalt)        Information on Pension
                        Friedrich Hillegeist-Straße 1                                       Insurance
                        A-1021 Vienna
                        Tel: +43 (0) 50 303-0
                        Fax: +43 (0) 50 303-28850
                        Austrian Accident Insurance Institution – main office (Allgemeine   Information on Accident
                        Unfallversicherungsanstalt – AUVA)                                  Insurance
                        Adalbert Stifter Str. 65
                        Postfach 200
                        A-1201 Vienna
                        Tel: +43 1 33 111-0
                        Fax: +43 1 33 111-448
                        Service Department for Foreign Patients:                            Medical Services
                        Vienna Medical Association. All specialties,
                        Weihburggasse 10-12, 1010 Vienna.
                         Hotline (24 hours) - Tel.: 513 95 95.
                        Tel.: 17 71 or 51 501 213 during daytime,
                        after hours emergency Tel.: 40 144, Fax: 401 55 99.

10. Housing
Help Gov                   Detailed information on
                                                                                            Housing and
                                                                                            Accommodation in
                                                                                            Austria: special
                                                                                            conditions for students
                                                                                            and low-income groups
Accommodation      ÖH:                                                           The Austrian Exchange
for Students                                                                                Service (ÖAD) and the
                                                                                            Austrian Student Union
                                                                                            (ÖH) offer reasonably
                                                                                            priced accommodation
                                                                                            for students.
                   ÖAD:                                              ÖAD Housing Office
                   ÖAD-WohnraumverwaltungsGmbH                                              (Wohnraumverwaltungs
                   Alser Straße 4/1/1/3, A-1090 Vienna                                      GmbH) provides

                  e-mail:                                                          accommodation in flats
                                                                                                      and students halls of
                                                                                                      residence for foreign
                                                                                                      guest students
                                                                     Short term
                                                                   accommodations and list
                                                                of hotels, hostels etc.

Finding           • Daily newspapers:                                                                 Important information
permanent ;                                                              sources:
housing  ;
         ;                                                             Newspaper: the
                                                                     weekend editions are of
                                                                                                      particular interest
                  • Real estate magazines:

                  • Angencies:

Housing search                                                               Graz and Styria: SWIS
websites                                                                                              housing service
by provinces                                                    Housing in Salzburg
                                                               Housing in Tirol Area

                                                              Housing in Linz area:
                                                                                                      Upper Austria
                                                                       Housing in Voralberg
                                                                       Information on housing
                                                                                                      and company addresses
                                                                                                      organized by province
Council Housing   Many large municipalities and cities have council housing (Gemeindewohnungen),      Eligibility prerequisites:
                  these are apartments which are directly administered by municipalities and cities   recognized refugee
                  and have comparatively low-cost rents.                                              status, income ceiling,
                                                                                                      primary residence
         / (Wohnungsbörse/housing exchange)                         Eisenstadt
Housing           Atlas (Lower Austria):                                  Housing association
Association       BWS:                                                              accommodation receives
Accommodation     BUWOG:                                                         special support, often
                  Sozialbau:                                     through a purchase
                  Wien Süd (Vienna, Lower Austria, Burgenland):               option. Special
                                                                                                      requirements applicable
                                                                                                      (low-income, refugee
                                                                                                      status etc.)

11. Recognition of diplomas

A Nostrification (diplomas and certificates from the non-EU area) for the respective school certificate,
graduation diploma and university diploma or admission to occupational practice is required to be able to
receive a position in Austria corresponding to the training received abroad.

All certificates and documents submitted should normally be originals or legally attested or notarized
certified copies or translations prepared by sworn or court-appointed translators. Contact the appropriate
authorities to ensure that your set of documents is complete.

Useful contact details and links

  Recognition of Foreign        Federal Ministry of Education, Science and
  School Diplomas:=             Culture
                                Minoritenplatz 5
                                A-1014 Vienna

                                More details are available at:

  Recognition of university     National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) Austria
  and academic
                                Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Culture
                                Teinfaltstr. 8, A-1014 Vienna

                                Further details in German, English and French:

 For final apprenticeship       Federal Ministry of Economics and Labour (BMWA)
 exams:=                        Stubenring 1
                                A-1010 Vienna

                                Ms. Spiesz
                                Tel: +43 1 711 00 – 5613
                                Fax: +43 1 711 00 -2366
  For Lawyers                   Austrian Lawyers Association (Österreichischer Rechtsanwaltskammertag)

                                Tuchlauben 12
                                A-1010 Vienna
                                Tel.: +43 1 535 12 75-0
                                Fax: +43 1 535 12 75-13

                               More details are available at:
                               Details on the individual care professions:
  For qualifications in the    Austrian Medical Association (Österreichische Ärztekammer)
  Heath Field                  Weihburggasse 10-12
                               A-1010 Vienna
                               Dr. Merth
                               Tel: +43 1 514 06-23
                               Fax: +43 1 514 06-10

                               More details are available at:
                               International: Information on training in EU/EEA countries or Switzerland

12. Support services to migrants

Public agencies   Government Agency Help Site                         HELP-Service for foreign citizens: information
                    on living and working in Austria

                  City of Vienna Funds                                Office for networking, comprised of more
                                 than 100 migrants and consulting
                                                                      organizations: political participation for
                                                                      immigrants; lobby for immigrants’ rights and
                                                                      interests; link to the municipality

                  Volkshilfe „Frauen einer Welt“ Linz (0732/603099)   Tackling local integration questions:
                  Integrationsbüro Bad Ischl (06134/25964),           ‘Integration offices’
                  Integrationsbüro Braunau (07752/66774-13),          (e.g. Dornbirn, Krems, Steyr, Leoben etc.)
                  Integrationsbüro Freistadt (07942/73216-16),
                  Integrationsbüro Perg (07262/54548-15),
                  Integrationsbüro Ried (07752/71144),
                  Integrationsbüro Rohrbach (07289/6789-23),
                  Integrationsbüro Traun (07229/66728),
                  Integrationsbüro Vöcklabruck (07672/26141),
                  Integrationsbüro Wels (07242/211536
International     Special Liaison Mission in Austria and to the
Organisations     International Organizations in Vienna
                  Nibelungengasse 13/4
                  1010 Vienna - Austria
                  Tel: +43 1 585 33 22
                  Fax: +43 1 585 33 22-30

                  UNHCR Austria
                  Postfach 550
                  A-1400 Vienna
                  Tel. +43-(0)1-26060-4048
                  Fax +43-(0)1-2633748

                  United Nations Information Service (UNIS)
                  Vienna International Centre
                  Wagramer Strasse 5
                  A-1400 Wien
                  Tel: (+43-1) 26060-4666
                  Fax: (+43-1) 26060-5899

NGOs              Peoples’ Aid Organization (Volkshilfe)              Humanitarian work with immigrants, in close
                  Web:                      connection with the Social Democratic Party.

                  ‘SOS Mitmensch’:
                  Helpline: +43 (1) 524 9900
                  ‘Helping Hands’:                                    Providing free legal advice to immigrants and
                  Web:                    refugees.
                  Tel.: +43-1-310 88 80 DW 10

                  ‘Austrian Students Union’:

                  Asyl in Not:
                  ZARA                                                Anti-discrimination watchdog: Gives legal advice,
                  Luftbadgasse 14–16; A–1060 Wien                     collects incidents of discrimination and publishes
                  Tel: +43 (1) 929 13 99                              an annual ‘racism-report’
                  Austrian Asylum Coordination                        Umbrella group of NGOs working in the field of
                  Laudongasse 52/9; A-1080 Vienna                     asylum
                  Tel.: 01 53 212 91
                 Fax: 01 53 212 91 - 20
                 European Homecare                                Support and advice for asylum seekers
                 Otto-Glöckel-Straße 24; A-2514 Traiskirchen
                 Tel: +43-(0)2252 / 508919 –26
                 Fax: +43-(0)2252 / 508919 –69
                 SOS Fellow Human Beings (SOS Mitmensch)          Support and advice for asylum seekers,
                 Postfach 220; A-1070 Vienna                      refugees, migrants and vulnerable groups
                 Tel.: ++43-(0)1/524 9900,
                 Fax: ++43-(0)1/524 9900-9
                 Network Asylum Advocate (Netzwerk AsylAnwalt)    Support and advice for asylum seekers,
                 Caritas Österreich                               refugees, migrants and vulnerable groups
                 Albrechtskreithgasse 19-21; A-1160 Vienna
                 Tel.: ++43-(0)1/488 31-440
                 Fax: ++43-(0)1/480 45 83
                 Association Human Rights Austria                 Support and advice for asylum seekers,
                 Postfach 69; A-1095 Vienna                       refugees, migrants and vulnerable groups
                 Tel.: ++43-(664) 3003224
                 Fax: ++43-(0)1/4090480-2
Church-related   Caritas Austria                                  Act as advocates of immigrants´ rights in
organizations    Albrechtskreithgasse 19-21                       public; fund or organise advice centres
                 A-1160 Vienna                                    and language training courses; or provide
                 Tel.: 01/48831-435 oder 0664/82 66 906           shelter to asylum seekers, refugees
                 Fax: 01/480 45 83                                and immigrants in need.
                                                                  Support services for vulnerable groups like
                 Evangelische Diakonie
                                                                  refugees, women, children, asylum seekers,
                 Albert Schweitzer Haus Schwarzspanierstraße13    immigrants
                 1090, Wien
                 Tel: +43 1 409 80 01
                 Fax: +43 1 409 80 01 20

                 Austrian Red Cross
                 Tel: 01 58900 0
Trade Unions     Association of Industrialists                    Involved in the ‘assessment procedure’ for all
                 Trade Union Federation                           draft bills dealing with migration issues
                 Austrian Trade Union Federation (AK) of Vienna   Austrian Trade Union Federation (ÖGB)
                                                                  of Lower Austria
                 Prinz-Eugen-Straße 20-22                         Windmühlgasse 28
                 A-1040 Vienna                                    A-1060 Vienna
                 Tel: +43 1 50 165-0                              Tel: +43 1 586 21 54
                 Fax: +43 1 50 165-2230                           Fax: +43 1 586 21 54-1566
                 E-mail:                      E-mail:
                 Internet:          Internet:

13. Acquisition of citizenship/nationality
 13.1. Austrian citizenship can be acquired by descent or award (& extension of the award)

 (1)      Acquisition by descent means that a conjugal child at birth automatically becomes a citizen if
 one of the parents is or was an Austrian citizen at that time, or at the time of their death. Illegitimate
 children automatically acquire citizenship if the mother is an Austrian citizen at the time of birth, without
 taking into consideration the place of birth of the child, or the citizenship of the illegitimate father.

 (2)      Acquisition by award applies particularly to foreigners who have established themselves in
 Austria (minimum 10 years legal and non-stop residence, among which minimum 5 years must have been
 with a settlement permit), and now want to completely integrate themselves into the society. The award
 of the citizenship to foreigners can also, under certain conditions, be extended to any underage
 unmarried children.

 More precise information about the above, and further possibilities concerning the acquisition of
 Austrian citizenship regulated in the citizenship law are available at the citizenship department of the
 office       of       the      provincial       government        [Amt         der      Landesregierung]
 uktionssystem of your primary residence [Hauptwohnsitz].

 Responsible Authority: The procedure for the award of citizenship is executed by the office of the
 provincial government (Amt der Landesregierung)

 13.2. General requirements

 General prerequisites

   •   No court convictions, no pending criminal proceedings in Austria or abroad, no major administrative
   •   No past revocation of applicant’s residence permit, no pending proceedings for termination of the
       applicant’s right to stay in Austria or in another EEA country, no revocation of expulsion issued
       within the past twelve months;
   •   Positive attitude to the Republic of Austria;
   •   Sufficient means of subsistence;
   •   Renunciation of the previous nationality (provided that renunciation is possible and can be
       reasonably expected of the applicant);
   •   Knowledge of the democratic system and history of Austria and Vienna;
   •   Proof of command of the German language.
   •   The applicant must have had their continuous main residence (centre of vital interests and
       relations) here right before obtaining the Austrian citizenship.

 Please note that the several different ways of obtaining Austrian citizenship are all linked to specific
 requirements or conditions.

 Specific requirements for naturalisation

 Persons with a legal claim to citizenship must also meet the general naturalisation requirements. Persons
 fulfilling the conditions set out below have legal claim to citizenship:

   •   thirty years of uninterrupted main residence or
   •   fifteen years of legal and uninterrupted residence with proof of sustainable personal and
       professional integration or
   •   six years of main residence, provided the applicant has been married to an Austrian citizen for five
       years and the spouse has been sharing a household with the applicant for five years or

 •      six years of legal and uninterrupted residence and official right to asylum, or
 •      six years of legal and uninterrupted residence provided that the applicant holds the citizenship of
        an EEA member state, or
 •      six years of legal and uninterrupted residence provided that the applicant was born in Austria, or
 •      six years of legal and uninterrupted residence if the applicant is to be naturalised for reasons
        extraordinary past or prospective achievements in the fields of science, business, art and culture or
        sports in the interest of the Republic of Austria.

Required documents

The following list is for general reference only. Documents required for individual applications are
assessed in personal interviews based on the applicant’s personal data.

Documents in languages other than German must be submitted with a German translation by a certified
(court) translator. Any convictions or court orders (foreign ones included) require a certificate of
indefeasibility in addition to the translation.

 •      application form for individual applicants and families with up to three children (standard form for
        all federal provinces);
 •      documents to be submitted with the application (special documents required for Vienna)
 •      application forms for minors;
 •      for persons 13 years and up: comprehensive curriculum vitae containing, in particular, places of
        residence since birth, school education, vocational training and career, as well as personal
 •      passport-sized photograph
 •      documents of civil status (certificate of birth, certificate of marriage, death certificate of spouse
        where applicable, non-appealable divorce decrees, proof of previous marriages)
 •      proof of academic degree obtained abroad or in the country
 •      proof of citizenship (valid passport, certificate of nationality) except for refugees recognised under
        the Geneva Refugee Convention or the Austrian Asylum Act (Asylgesetz)
 •      proof of residence in Austria: most recent registration, for holders of identification cards proof of
        registration in Austria issued by the Federal Ministry for Foreign Affairs
 •      proof of secure income during the past three years
 •      proof of insurance periods to date in Austria
 •      proof of legal representation of minors (following the parents’ divorce), court decision on legal
 •      proof that the applicant fulfils the requirements regarding command of the German language in
        accordance with module 2 of the Integration Agreement under article 14/5/2-5 and 7 of the
        Austrian Law on Residence and Settlement of Foreigners (Niederlassungs- und Aufenthaltsgesetz -

 13.3. Useful Links for Citizenship issues

     Federal Ministry                                  Information and
     of the                                                                                                 legal provisions for
     Interior                                                                                               citizenship issues
     Municipal             Municipal Department 35 (Vienna)                                                 Information on
     Department for        Dresdner Str. 91,                                                                requirements
     Immigration,          Block C
     Citizenship and       1200 Vienna
     Registry Offices      Phone: (+43 1) 4000-8020
                           Fax: (+43 1) 4000 9935010
                    Documents and
                           html                                                                             Applications Forms
                                                                                                            for download
     WISTI - Vienna                                       Catalogue of FAQ
     Citizenship                                                                                            about
Information                                                                                Naturalisation

Government                     Information on
Agency Help Site                                                                           citizenship and
                                                                                           useful links

14. Other useful contacts and information
 Austrian                                                                        For general information and
                    Federal Ministry for European and International Affairs
 Foreign Ministry                                                                queries; Facts and Figures;
 (BMEIA)            Minoritenplatz 8                                             FAQ etc.
                    A-1014 Wien
                    Tel.: +43 (0) 50 11 50 -0
                    Fax: +43 (0) 50 11 59 -0


                     Extensions of relevant public services:
                     Service: ext4411
                     Passport and Visa matters: ext3900
                     Legal and Consular Affairs: ext4411
                     General inquiries: ext4411
 Help               Government Agency Help Site                                  Information which is
 Government                                       necessary for living and
                                                                                 working in Austria. (English,
 Economy               Austrian trade :
                       Austrian Business Agency
                       Austrian National Bank
                       Federation of Austrian Industry
 Foreign            ALBANIA                                                      Opening Hours:
 Embassies in       Embassy of the Republic of Albania                           MON, TUE, THU, FRI -
 Austria            Prinz-Eugen-Straße 18/1/5, 1040 Wien                         09:00 - 12:00
                    Tel: (+43 / 1) 328 86 56                                     MON, TUE, THU, FRI -
                    Fax: (+43 / 1) 328 86 58                                     14:00 - 16:00
                    BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA                                       Opening Hours:
                    Embassy of Bosnia and Herzegovina                            Monday-Friday 09.00-17.00
                    Tivoligasse 54, 1120 Wien
                    Tel: (+43 / 1) 811 85 55
                    Fax: (+43 / 1) 811 85 69
                    CROATIA                                                      Opening Hours:
                    Embassy of the Republic of Croatia                           Visa Section: Monday-Friday
                    Heuberggasse 10, 1170 Wien                                   10.00-13.00
                    Tel: (+43 / 1) 480 20 83, 485 95 24, 484 87 83
                    Fax: (+43 / 1) 480 29 42
                    Maderstrasse 1/10 A-1040
                    Tel: 431 524 87 56
                    Fax: 431 524 87 53
                    MONTENEGRO                                                   Opening Hours:
                    Embassy of the Republic of Montenegro                        Monday, Wednesday &
                    Niebelungengasse 13, 1010 Wien                               Friday
                    Tel: (+43 / 1) 715 31 02                                     10:00 - 13:00
                    Fax: (+43 / 1) 715 31 02 - 20
                    SERBIA                                                       Opening Hours:
                    Embassy of the Republic of Serbia                            Visa Section: Monday-Friday
                    Rennweg 3, 1030 Wien                                         10.00-13.00
                    Tel: (+43 / 1) 713 25 95, 712 12 05
                    Fax: (+43 / 1) 713 25 97


Description: Visa Waiver Program Schengen document sample