Master of Science in Safety, Security
& Emergency Management
ASSE Central Florida Chapter
• Paul English is the current Director of Safety, Environmental & Medical
Services for E-ONE, Inc. located in Ocala, Florida. He has worked for
Fortune 100 companies including Nestle and Ford Motor Company in
different facets of safety, security and emergency response operations.
While at Ford Motor Company, he was the recipient of the President's
Health & Safety Award for Innovation representing The Americas for
reducing injuries and illnesses while launching 3 new vehicles.
• He earned a B.S. in Fire & Safety Engineering Technology specializing in
Industrial Risk Management and an M.S. In Safety, Security & Emergency
Management from Eastern Kentucky University. He has numerous
publications regarding incident investigation, process safety management,
benchmarking safety metrics and emergency response. He is an active
member of the American Society of Safety Engineers-Central Florida
Chapter and the Marion County Regional Manufactures Association.
Eastern Kentucky University
• EKU is located in Richmond,
KY 30 miles South of
Lexington, KY on I-75.
• Eastern Kentucky University
was founded in 1906. Over the
last one hundred years, we
have grown to 168 degree
programs that serve more than
15,500 students each year.
• EKU provides all of the
opportunities available at large
schools but maintains that
„small school‟ feel.
Eastern Kentucky University
• Masters program was started in 1992 with
a grant from NIOSH.
• Program started with 5 students in the
Admission to the Program
• Applications for admission are accepted 6 times annually.
Successful completion of the following requirements is necessary for
admission to pursue study leading to a Master of Science in Safety,
Security & Emergency Management:
– Complete the Graduate School online application and pay $35
– Submit official transcripts from college where bachelor‟s degree was
– Hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher
– Achieved an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 overall or in the last 60
hours of the baccalaureate program
– GRE scores of 425 verbal and 425 quantitative and an analytical
writing score of at least 3.0 on the GRE, or a 375 on the MAT
– TOEFL score of 550 for International Students
– Three letters of recommendation
• Provisional Admission
Provisional admission may be granted upon the recommendation of the
Safety, Security & Emergency Management Department when an applicant
is unable to supply all of the necessary application materials (e.g. official
GRE scores, three letters of recommendation) prior to admission
consideration, but who otherwise meet the admission requirements.
Complete and satisfactory application materials are required before the end
of the semester in which the student has registered.
• Probationary Admission
Probationary admission may be granted upon the recommendation of the
Safety, Security & Emergency Management Department to an applicant
who does not meet certain requirements for clear admission, but does show
promise for successful graduate study. For example, probationary
admission may be granted to a student who’s GPA and GRE scores
are below the minimum requirement. After obtaining probationary
admission, the minimum condition to transfer to clear admission status is
the successful completion of approved graduate course work at EKU with a
graduate GPA of at least 3.0 and with no more than one grade of „C‟ or
Core Curriculum 18 hrs Total
• SSEM 815
– Safety, Security & Emergency Management Administration
• SSEM 822
– Workers' Compensation/Labor Law
• SSEM 833
– Legislation & Legal Compliance
• SSEM 826
– Emergency Prep/Response
• SSEM 865
– Auditing for Safety, Security & Emergency Management
• SSEM 880
– Research and Planning for Safety, Security & Emergency Management
Additional Courses Offered
12 hrs. Total
• SSE 820-Strategic Planning for the Fire and Emergency Services
• SSE 824-Leadership in Fire & Emergency Services
• SSE 825-Public Sector Finance and Budgeting
• SSE 828-Industrial Safety Management
• SSE 829-Public Emergency Services
• SSE 832-Construction Safety
• SSE 834-Corporate Compliance
• SSE 839-Applied Learning
• SSE 841-Applied Study in Safety, Security & Emergency Management
• SSE 845-Personal/Environmental Hazards
• *SSE 890-Topical Seminar in Ergonomic and Human Factors I
• *SSE 890-Topical Seminar in Ergonomic and Human Factors II
• *SSE 890-Topical Seminar in Ergonomic and Human Factors III
• *SSE 890-Topical Seminar in Ergonomic and Human Factors IV
• SSE 897-Independent Study
• HLS 800-Homeland Security Policy Analysis
• HLS 810-Critical Infrastructure Protection
• HLS 820-Intelligence for Homeland Security
• HLS 830-Hazards & Threats to Homeland Security
Thesis or Electives 6 hrs.
• SSE 898 Thesis (6 Credits)
– Students will have the option to complete 30
credit hours of coursework and a Thesis, or
complete 36 hours of coursework and take a
proctored comprehensive exam.
– The comprehensive exams can be taken at
EKU or at an approved remote site. The
Thesis option requires an approved
committee of graduate faculty.
Program Concentrations &
• The online Master of Science in Safety, Security
& Emergency Management Program offers
concentrations and certificates in
– Occupational Safety
– Homeland Security, and
– Fire & Emergency Services
• Each covering a set of courses designed to meet
the demands and challenges of the real world.
Program Concentrations &
SSE 828 HLS 800 SSE 820
Strategic Planning for the *Ergonomic &
Industrial Safety Homeland Security Policy
Fire and Emergency Human Factors I
HLS 810 SSE 824 *Ergonomic &
Critical Infrastructure Leadership in Fire &
Protection Emergency Services
Human Factors II
SSE 834 HLS 820 SSE 825 *Ergonomic &
Intelligence for Homeland Public Sector Finance and
Human Factors III
SSE 845 HLS 830 SSE 829 *Ergonomic &
Personal/Environmental Hazards & Threats to
Hazards Homeland Security
Public Emergency Services Human Factors IV
Tuition and Fees
• Online Students
– $500.00 per credit hour
• Application Fee to EKU
• Many companies now offer reimbursement for accredited
on-line or distance learning programs as part of their
tuition assistance programs.
– Check with you HR Department for details on your company‟s
• Since 1993, Compass
Knowledge Group has
partnered with select academic
institutions to help them
develop online programs that
are academically superior and
• Compass is a full service firm.
As such, we provide any or all
of the following services in a
way that seamlessly dovetails
with our academic partner's
academic and business
Who are our students?
Distance Learning at EKU
How does it work?
What is required?
Distance Learning & Blackboard
• EKU utilizes a blended learning
– Video Lectures
– Discussion Boards
– Research Papers
– Final Examinations
• Discussion questions posted in Blackboard for each week.
• Starting on Monday of each week, you are to access Blackboard
and respond in that week to the questions by 10:00 p.m.
Wednesday of that week.
• In addition, you are expected to make a minimum of two (2) entries
in response to your peer responses or posts (these will all appear on
the Discussion Board).
• You should not post all entries at one time but rather reflect on the
insight that others have brought to the discussion.
• The postings serve as a reflection of the students understanding of
course material to the facilitator and instructor.
• Daily interaction with the instructor/ facilitator via the Virtual Office
and class Discussion Board is vitally important to your success in
• Students must schedule appropriate time on a daily basis in which
they interact with the facilitator on the various course topics which
will be discussed.
• Students should post any and all questions they have regarding the
subject matter or any issue regarding this class in the Virtual Office
and Discussion Boards.
Example of Discussion Sessions
1. Is the OSH Act an effective law in
safeguarding the American workplace? Is
it effective in 2007? Why or why not?
2. Are the three agencies established under
the OSH Act still in alignment today?
• Quizzes are designed to help students reflect on the course material
and prepare them for the final exam.
• Quizzes assess the understanding of the video lessons and required
course readings. You will have to complete both of these
requirements to be successful on the quizzes.
• Quizzes are usually multiple choice or short answer questions.
• Some tests are timed and others are not.
• Class assignments can include:
– Writing abstracts on SSEM articles and
– Researching specific events, standards or
policies affecting SSEM.
– Writing safety or security programs for specific
SSEM 832 Examples
• Write a short paper (3-4 pages) on what you learned are
the most important aspects of Electrical safety and how
you might apply this in your everyday life as a safety
• Write a 3-4 page paper (double-spaced) on current
issues with the multi-employer citation policy.
– (Note: you may want to read/review some current legal decisions
in Westlaw - see EKU library link).
SSEM 834 Example
• Select a corporate compliance related situation (one that has already
occurred) that you would like to know more about and is of interest to you.
• Analyze this situation to identify the problems encountered, the things which
could have been done to prevent and/or minimize the effects and other key
• Your research paper should include, but not be limited to, the following:
– Synopsis of the safety and personnel related issue
– Effects of the safety issue on the workplace
– Critique of response
– Overall assessment of the situation
• The paper should be a minimum of 20 pages in length and is due the last
week of class. You will not be penalized for exceeding the page limit if it 25
becomes necessary to do so.
Research Paper Examples
Incidents Standards & Policies
• Texas City BP Explosion • Proposed Combustible
• “The Station” Nightclub Dust Standard
Fire • PSM issues in Ammonia
• Ford Motor Company Refrigeration
Rouge Explosion • Incident Investigation
• Triangle Shirtwaist Fire Quality Control
• Imperial Sugar Refinery • Proposed Crane
• NFPA 1901 Apparatus
• Final exams are open book and consist of
multiple essay questions.
• Some class finals call for a presentation PPT to
be developed and turned in with course
• Some classes call for comprehensive safety
programs to be submitted with course work.
Bachelor of Science in Fire & Safety
Engineering Technology and Certificate
Program in Fire Administration
Eastern Kentucky University
Bachelor of Science in Fire & Safety
• Eastern Kentucky University has one of the nation‟s top undergraduate programs in
Fire & Safety Engineering Technology now offered completely online.
• A program designed to meet the needs of today‟s working fire and safety
• The program‟s comprehensive curriculum and high level of relevancy make the Fire &
Safety Engineering Technology a must-have degree for today‟s first response
• With a solid reputation as a premier source for expertise in fire and safety, you have
the opportunity to learn from nationally and internationally recognized leaders in these
• Eastern Kentucky University's bachelor degree and certificate program allows you to
increase your knowledge of the fire and safety industry, facilitating the chance for
career advancement while continuing to work full time and enjoying your life the way
you want 29
Program Requirements (75 Credits)
• FSE101 Fire Prevention • FSE200 Applied Fire/Safety Analysis
• FSE120 Fire Behavior and Combustion • FSE300 Technical Report Writing for
• FSE201 Building Construction Emergency Services
• FSE221 Fire Protection Systems • FSE305 Hazardous Materials
• FSE223 Fire and Emergency Scene • FSE349 Applied Learning in Fire and Safety
• FSE225 Legal Aspects of Fire Protection • FSE 355 Fire Dynamics
and Safety • FSE361 Principles of Occupational Safety
• FSE230 Fire Prevention Organization and and Health
Management • FSE365 Emergency Service Instructional
• FSE320 Principles of Emergency Services Methodology
• FSE322 Fire Protection Structures & System • FSE375 Emergency Service Resource
• FSE350 Fire and Arson Investigation I • FSE390 Workers‟ Compensation I
• FSE360 Fire Protection Hydraulics and • FSE400 Advanced Emergency Service
Water Supply Administration
• FSE425 Disaster and Community Fire
Defense Planning 30
Additional Coursework Required
• TRS235 Emergency Vehicle Roadway Operations
• PSY200 Introduction to Psychology
• CHE101 w/ CHE107 Chemistry I w/ College Chemistry I
Lab: 4 Credits
• MAT107 College Algebra
Up and Coming Safety
• The BS program offered online can be used as a vehicle
for people in your organization who show interest in EHS
who do not have a formal degree.
• Students can be steered towards a safety focus in the
• A full Occupational Safety On-line BS program is
currently being developed and will be offered in the
– Best Case, Fall 2009
– Worst Case, Summer 2010
• For more information on the BS program,
• For more information on the MS program,
Questions & Answers?????