Finance Jobs Overseas

Document Sample
Finance Jobs Overseas Powered By Docstoc
					SU Payroll Staff-Finance FAQ

“I’m a student, so do I have to pay tax on my wages?”
Yes, despite what you might have been told, your wages will be taxable.
If you work during term-time, any Income Tax and National Insurance
due will be deducted from your wages before you receive them. This is
known as Pay As You Earn (PAYE).
Everybody can earn a certain amount before they start paying Income Tax
- this is the personal allowance (£6,475 for the tax year 2009-2010). This
applies even if you are an overseas student working in the UK.

“I’ve been put onto a Basic Rate (BR) tax code, why?”
The BR tax code-meaning being taxed a 20%- will be applied if you have
indicated that you have another job. The personal allowance mentioned
above only applies to one of the jobs you have and is shown by the tax
code 647L. It makes sense to have this code at the job where you work
the most hours but if you work similar hours at both jobs, you can contact
HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) and ask if your code can be split.

“Help! I think I’ve paid too much tax! What can I do?”
This depends on whether you are talking about the current or a past tax
year. If the overpayment relates to a previous tax year, you can contact
HMRC for a rebate. For this you will need to have all your relevant
documents for that year. If you have been working two jobs in a current
tax year, you will have probably been taxed at Basic Rate for one of them.
If you then quit one job, you must take the P45 from that job to your
remaining employment. This will ensure that your current employer will
be able to apply the correct codes, tax and earnings to you. In any case,
please contact us in Finance if you need any help with this.

“I’m confused-What is the difference between P60s and
P46 is a form you are often asked to complete at the start of your
employment when you do not have a P45 from a previous employer.

P45 is given to you when you leave a job. So that the correct information
can be applied by your next employer, you should take parts 2 and 3 to
them-you keep part 1A for your files. This can then be used for tax
rebates and returns.

P60 is a certificate of an employees’ tax and earnings for the tax year just
completed. This is sent out to current employees only and this should
reach you by the end of May, following the April tax year end. This is
another document to use towards any rebates and returns.

“How do I contact HMRC?”
When contacting our tax office (different employers will have different
offices) you will need to quote your National Insurance number and
OBSU’s tax office reference: 075/O164
Our tax office is based in Cardiff and the address and telephone number
is, as follows:
Tel: 0845 300 3948 Fax: 02920 326 342
Telephone opening hours: 8.00 am to 8.00 pm, Monday to Friday
8.00 am to 4.00 pm Saturday
Postal address:
Government Buildings
Ty Glas
CF14 5YA

“Is it true that as someone over 22, I should be paid more
than my younger colleagues?”
You have probably heard about the different levels of National Minimum
Wage (NMW), which has different pay minimums for ages 16-17, 18-21
and 22 and over. Currently OBSU pays £5.80 per hour as Rate 1 (e.g. Bar
Staff), which is the current NMW for workers 22 and over. So regardless
of age, all employees get the highest possible NMW rate, which is fairer as
staff members are doing the same work.

“How often will I be paid?”
Student Union Payroll staff are paid into their bank accounts fortnightly.
This is a fortnight in arrears and is currently being paid on the odd weeks
of term. For example in week seven, staff will have been paid for work
done in weeks five and six. The pay weeks run from Monday to Sunday.

“How will I get my payslip?”
This will be emailed to your email account (usually your Brookes address)
on the day of payment. This is always a Friday, except when payment
would fall on a Bank Holiday or over Christmas.

“I heard a rumour about holiday pay…”
As an employee of the SU, you will be paid Holiday Pay. This is calculated
as a percentage of earnings and is accrued weekly. This is then paid
three times per year, usually Christmas, Easter and the summer. You will
accrue holiday pay at 10.76% of earnings, which equates to the statutory
allowance of 5.6 weeks. When you leave our employment, you will be
paid any outstanding holiday pay.

“I haven’t been paid enough/at all-who should I speak to?”
In the first instance, you should speak to your line manager to ascertain
whether they have put all your hours through for payment. If they are
sure that this is the case, they will refer you to speak to us in finance. We
are more than happy to see you and will be there to help with your
enquiry. Helen is here to deal with all matters related to tax and wages,
and Karen ably assists with a cheery greeting so you need never fear
finance again!

Shared By:
Description: Finance Jobs Overseas document sample