Importance of Communication Channels in Business - Download as Excel

Document Sample
Importance of Communication Channels in Business - Download as Excel Powered By Docstoc
					   Disability Action Plan - Developed with Disability Forum



                               AIM                                                         PROGRESS                                                           Notes From Meeting



   Raising the Profile. Improve the awareness of Waverley's                                                                           Following discussion it was agreed that raising the profile of disability
commitment to E&D issues. This can and should be achieved via A presentation on E&D issues has been given to Waverley              issues to the point where people concluded that they should act to remove
 a number of different formats, including updating stationary and  officers who have service planning responsibility.              barriers was more powerful than issuing compliance. orders but that, where
                    via other media channels.                                                                                                   necessary, compliance orders should still be used


                                                                                                                                   Group agreed that they would like to invite other organisations such as the
   Partnering. Link with other organisations with an interest in    To raise at the next meeting of the Disability Forum and to
                                                                                                                                     PCT although they wanted to actively manage the introduction of such
          Equality issues to drive the agenda forward.                               progress after that event.
                                                                                                                                                                organisations

                                                                                                                                      Agreed that a press release be issued following the Feb' 08 Disability
                                                                   To agree with Waverleys communication team. This should
                                                                                                                                    Forum meeting. In the absence of a Forum member volunteering to have
Publicity. Agree a press strategy with the Communications team.         involve annual calendar of timed press releases and
                                                                                                                                     their name attached to a quote, it would be issued with a quote from a
                                                                   utilisation of a number of different communication channels.
                                                                                                                                                                 'spokesperson'


                                                                                                                                   Action: Letter to be sent on behalf of the disability forum to Local business
                                                                                                                                   /Local chamber of commerce in regard to obstacles (particularly A Frames)
                                                                                                                                                           being placed outside shops.
Business Links. Consider setting up a business forum for major
 businesses in Waverley who want to be seen as ‘pillars of the        The Council is working with the business community to             Group also agreed that there was a need to raise awareness more
 community’. Use existing channels – Chamber of Commerce,                   relaunch the Waverley Business Forum                     generally and perhaps this could be achieved by more generic dialogue
               Waverley Business Forum, etc.                                                                                           with the local business forum. The idea was suggested that a special
                                                                                                                                   ‘disability’ business breakfast could be arranged, discussing issues such as
                                                                                                                                                   obstacles on pavement, employment, toilet etc…




   Local Strategic Partnership (LSP) This organisation brings
                                                                                                                                Action: LSP – group agreed that it would like to have a representative on
   together the leading public, private, community and voluntary
                                                                   The work of the Waverley Disability Forum will be discussed   this board. Rachel Fox, Shirley Hogan, Ella Findley and possibly Mary
sectors serving Waverley and has the potential to be an important
                                                                         at the next LSP meeting. Group will also feed         Fardell were all happy to either take part in the meeting or act as a back up.
 forum for change. The group should aim to raise the E&D issue
                                                                               comments/progress in to this group.
 at this forum to both highlight the issue and share good practice
                     and common approaches.




  Staff Involvement Share survey and Forum findings with all
                                                                      Present ideas to Waverely Borough Council staff. Use Staff
  Waverley staff and ask for suggestions. Possibly as special
                                                                       magazine to raise issues. Use Chief Executive briefings.    Equaltiy and Diversity has been raised by C/E as part of cascade briefing.
 section of the Bright Ideas (Suggestion) Scheme. The Equality
                                                                        Disseminate through management structure as part of                           Training for all staff to be rolled out.
and Diversity Group can drive this initiative forward but it requires
                                                                                      developing media strategy.
              the involvement of all Waverley Staff
                              AIM                                                         PROGRESS                                                         Notes From Meeting



   Access Audits – Waverley Premises. Continue roll out of       Check whether Equality Impact Assessment (EQIAs) are
Equality Impact Assessments (EQIA) of accessibility to Waverley being taken into consideration with revamp of WBC sports JA (localtiy office manager) has arranged a number of meetings with team
  owned buildings to identify barriers and ways to improvement.  centres. The Locality Offices manager has arranged for   members who are going to look at EQIA on the locality offices. JA will also
 Include members from the Disability Equality Forum in some of EQIA to be carried out with assistance of members from the look at working with members of the group to conduct EQIA of main offices.
             the impact assessments. (see also 11)                                Disability Forum group.


   Access Audits – Private Premises Look at encouraging
                                                                       Licensing manager has attended E&D grp meeting to         Members suggested that there was a need for clarification about the DDA
  awareness and improvements in the private sector by grants
                                                                        discuss options available l and reasons for current     legislation and how this is enforced. Particular concerns were raised about
  incentive and inclusion of disability issues as part of design
                                                                                            approach.                                                   Stephens Hall in Haslemere.
                             awards.


Transport – Taxis - agree approach to improving the availability                                                                Group noted there concerns about the cost of disabled equipment required
                                                                                            As above
                   of disabled access taxis.                                                                                                         to assist in access problems.


                                                                                                                                 Group were concerned about the use of speed bumps and how this was
                                                                                                                                     quite painfull for some disabled people when going over them.

                                                                                                                                 Concerns were also raised about the problems of discretionay fares not
                                                                                                                                 being avliable for until certain time which make it difficult for careers to
                                                                                                                                                travel with the person they are caring for.

                                                                                                                                     Action: Group raised problem of disabled parking in Waverley and
                                                                                                                                suggested it was worthwhile looking at how Horsham manages the problem
 Transport - other Seek to improve transport services available
                                                                                                                                     (as it seems to be more effectivley managed). Also, presuming that
 via the promotion of the Hoppa service & other transport (bus &     Discussed the points which were raised and asked service
                                                                                                                                 Waverley were to introduce a higher level of parking fine for non-disabled
train) companies – initially by providing our survey etc. outcomes      access officer to look in more detail at some issues.
                                                                                                                                  drivers using disabled parking bays, this should be clearly signed at the
            and seeking their advice and commitment.
                                                                                                                                                                disabled bays

                                                                                                                                    Other concerns that were raised about parking where related to the
                                                                                                                                Thursday market in Cranleigh stopping blocking bays by the Dr's. Also one
                                                                                                                                forum member suggested that there was the need for more cycle parking.A
                                                                                                                                theme which was raised in relation to this but overarches most of the action
                                                                                                                                  points was the establishment of a disability directory which covered the
                                                                                                                                      whole range of specialist services avliable including transport.




                                                                  EQIA's completed as part of the service planning process.
Involving the Disability Forum – ask some of the existing Forum
                                                                  Trends, themes to be captured as part of this process and
 participants to assist in the Equality Impact Assessment process                                                                      See Disability Access - Waverley. This is being undertaken
                                                                   more EQIA's to be completed as part of cascade across
      and therefore identify disability issues other than access
                                                                                        organisation.
                                AIM                                                           PROGRESS                                                           Notes From Meeting




Engaging the Disability Forum Confirm with the disability Forum
     how they would like to develop their involvement with the                                                                         Group were happy to continue meeting on a qtrly basis and also made a
                                                                           First meeting held and next meeting planned for late
  disability forum. Members may choose to take a more or less                                                                         number of suggestion about how there TofR should look. RW will take this
                                                                                         January/early February.
active role. Subject to responses, facilitate their meetings, e.g. by                                                                         forward building on views expressed by Forum members
                     providing accommodation.



  Widening the Disability Forum Network Set up a Waverley
      Disability Newsletter with a mailing list and encourage
                                                                        Agreed to link in with the ‘Waverley Website Development’        The development of an 'on-line' Disability Directory on the Waverley
 contributions. The Newsletter can form part of a number of new
                                                                                                    Group.                                         website could also be supported by this Group
communication channels which will utilise the development of the
                           new website.




                                                                    Group should start with information that is readily available.
Information on Disabled Facilities Produce a disability directory                                                                        The importance of getting this up and running was a constant theme
                                                                     Group will look at collecting list of those organisations with
  (electronic and hardcopy?). This should be compiled in liaison                                                                      through the meeting. However, Forum members were keen to stress that
                                                                       charitable status and then should aim to build on these
 with Disability organisations and members of the disability forum.                                                                   we should not be 'reinventing the wheel' and make sure that we are clear
                                                                    continuously thereafter. The group will also look at potential
It was suggested the directory should use a simple icon to denote                                                                             about what other organisations have and should be doing.
                                                                     involvement with the ‘Voluntary Action South West Surrey’
    different services on offer. The guide could be similar to that
                                                                     group which has £500,000 to improve communication and
             offered when booking hotel accommodation.                                                                                      Investigate what is happening at S.W Surrey Disability Group.
                                                                        infrastructure of south west surreys voluntary groups.




 Councillor Involvement Get Councillors involved – most of the
above could be achieved without financial investment (although it
  will take people hours) but may need financial impetus if some Link into Mayor’s Charity. Meeting with leader agreed March            Invite leader who is lead Councillor for Equality and Diversity to future
 other aims are to be achieved. The group should agree with the                     2008 for E&D update.                                                               meeting
  Leader the timetable for next formal report to the Executive on
equality and diversity. Consider awareness training for Members


                                                                                                                                       The group felt that it would be good idea to draft letter to the 2 local MP's
Wider Political Involvement Think about when would be a good
                                                                            Agreed via leader and town and parish meetings            (Anne Milton and Jeremy Hunt) to explain the formation and purpose of the
 time to engage the local MPs and Town and Parish Councils.
                                                                                                                                                                         group.

  Role Modelling for other Public Sector Networks Act as a
lead/role model for other Surrey Districts. Use existing networks The networks exist and it could start from requesting an item         DJ outlined work of the S.W Surrey Disability Group and confirmed we
groups to spread the message including SuDEN (a Surrey Wide                   on the Agenda of the next meeting                                  would pick up anything that came out of this network
          organisation which looks at disability issues)
                              AIM                                                          PROGRESS                                Notes From Meeting



  Look for Sponsors Target local retailers – start with the big
                                                                       This is, potentially, the area that would have the most
ones, i.e. supermarkets. See what they are prepared to come up
                                                                    impact on disabled users and that would raise the Council’s
with to make their facilities more accessible to the disabled, e.g.
                                                                    reputation. May require something to set up through existing   Work to be undertaken.
special shopping events. Nationwide chains should be doing this
                                                                     channels, i.e. the Chamber of Commerce or the Waverley
  and may welcome the stimulus of the local authority getting
                                                                                            Business Forum
                           amongst them.

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Description: Importance of Communication Channels in Business document sample