LE PETIT FRANCOPHONE Volume 10 Number 9 September 2006 September Membership Meeting Saturday Sept 23rd 10 30 El Paso Museum of Art Guid by yda90753

VIEWS: 74 PAGES: 12

More Info
									LE PETIT FRANCOPHONE
              Volume 10 Number 9
                 September 2006




   September Membership Meeting
     Saturday Sept. 23rd @10:30
       El Paso Museum of Art
   Guided tour by Michele Kissack
        Of the Kress collection
    Followed by lunch at Azulejos
  RSVP to Maud @ 585-1789 by September 21st




Alliance Française d’El Paso
PMB 213 500 W. University Ave.
El Paso, TX 79968
tcshaughnessy@sbcglobal.net www.afofelpaso.comm
                                            2
                        September Luncheon
The luncheon will be on Tuesday September 5th at 12:30 PM at
Johnny Carino‟s, 9830 Gateway North. For reservations please
call Maud at 585-1789 before Sunday September 3rd.

                        September Birthdays
01 Taylor Zimmerman, 07 Veronique Masterson, 16 Micheline
Kissack, 18 Margaret Anderson, 20 Mary Grape Olivas, 29
Dorothee Nygren, 30 Sofia Jacquez
                          Comité de direction
Josette Shaughnessy, Présidente (598-2640)
Maud Snell, Vice-Présidente (585-1789)
Harriet Marvin, Trésorière
Nicole Blais, Secrétaire
Steven Chambers, PF Éditeur
April Oden, Directrice de l’École
VACANT, Responsible des activitées
John Turner, Responsable de la banque des données
Michele Kissack, Bibliotécaire (351-1189)
Chau Luong, Assistante Bibliotécaire
Jacques Barriac, Web Master
Françoise Turner, Consultante d’Éducation
Web site : www.afofelpaso.com
Printed by Akben Business Dev. Inc. El Paso, TX




   The opinions and ideas expressed in this newsletter are those of the authors and not
   Necessarily those of the Alliance Française d‟El Paso, nor of Le Petit Francophone.

  Notify us of any address changes so that you may continue to receive your newsletter
                                  without interruption

  Your membership includes the monthly newsletter. Any ideas, questions, comments,
                Suggestions or written contributions are welcome.

The deadline to submit items for publication is the
                10th of each month
                                     3
Le mot de la Présidente
Chers Amis de L„AFEP,

Well, although it does not feel that way temperature wise, summer is
coming to an end. Fall is my favorite time of the year in El Paso and I
am really looking forward to the fall ambiance and colors. We are
kicking off the membership retrouvailles with a tour of the Kress
Collection at the El Paso Museum of Modern Art hosted by our favorite
guide Michele Kissack. I hope that you will be able to join us for this
exciting event which will be followed by lunch at Azulejos.

Thank you for those who came to celebrate la Fête de la Bastille at the
church on July 15. Everyone sang “La Marseillaise” in unison and
enjoyed the evening in very good company. Thank you to Maud for the
excellent summer dinner and all of those who helped us clean up,
especially Jacques and Jessica Barriac.

On July 22nd, our friends from the Club Francophone de Las Cruces,
hosted their Bastille Day picnic at La Cueva. I was really sorry to miss
the fun but Maud along with the Barriac‟s and a few other members were
able to join the celebration. Please look for Jacques‟ comments about the
party in this edition of the Petit Francophone. We are so thankful to
have such hospitable friends in our neighboring cities.

I hope that all of you were not affected by the “deluge” that afflicted El
Paso on August 1 and thereafter. In spite of possible rain, a few of us
made it for brunch at the Lodge in Cloudcroft. It was a very pleasant
drive and delicious brunch. We want to thank Paulette and George for
joining us all the way from Las Cruces.

We are still looking for volunteers to serve on the Activities Committee.
This committee would be responsible for developing, planning and
organizing activities that would appeal to all the membership. Please
consider bringing your talents to the Alliance so it will continue to grow
and thrive in El Paso.

Au plaisir de vous voir au Musee en Septembre!

Amitiés,

Josette Shaughnessy
                                    4
September Event
Tour of the Kress Collection at the El Paso Museum of Modern Art:
With the unexpected treasures of the Kress Collection at the El Paso
Museum of Modern Art, we will be able to take an accelerated tour
through the history of painting. From the Madonna of the 13th Century
to portraits of noblemen and beautiful women of the 16th Century, by
way of religious scenes and those of more whimsical nature, we will
examine the mood of the time. During our tour, we will be watched over
by an Egyptian princess, a French magistrate and by God the Father
himself! Following the tour, join us for lunch at Azulejos. Prices vary
from $7.50 for a salad to approximately $12.00 for a fuller meal

Picnic at La Cueva (by Jacques Barriac)
On July 22nd, six of us (Alliance Francaise members) joined the
members of the Club Francophone of Las Cruces at their "14th of July"
picnic at La Cueva, Dripping Springs, New Mexico. The food, the
company and the music all helped make the occasion a memorable one.
We would like to thank Lia for her warm welcome, Peter for his
barbecue skills, and thank the other members for their culinary
contributions. Thanks too to Chantal for her unimitable skill in story
telling..... I think it would be fair to say we all had a wonderful time.

Status de l’École
April Oden, the new Directrice de l'Ecole, has been very busy geering up
for the fall classes scheduled to start in mid-September. The school and
the Alliance will be featured in El Paso Scene in August and September,
in El Paso Inc. in September, and in the Borderland section of El Paso
Times during the first week of September. The school will also
be advertised on the Community Bulletin Board of Cable Channel 15.
Great going April! We are currently working on finding a more
central location for the classes and should have some good news by the
end of the month.

Film en Français
Film night will be on September 27th at Maud‟s. All interested should
contact Maud at 585-1789.

Conversation en Français
Conversation groups in French are available, free of charge for AFEP
members, every (most of the time…) 1st and 3rd Wednesday from 6:00
pm to 8:00 pm at Maud Snell‟s or Jessica Barriac‟s house.
                                   5
The current schedule is:
Wednesday September 6th chez Jessica
Wednesday September 20th chez Maud
Wednesday October 4th chez Jessica
The cost to non-members is $5 per session. Make sure to call Maud
(585-1789) or Jessica (845-6535) to confirm the time and place of the
next conversation meeting.


 Announcement
 A french speaking person to keep company to an elderly person who
 has dementia-anyone interested please call Maud at 833-8705 or
 526-2369

 Condoleances
 The members of L'Alliance Francaise d'El Paso extend their
 sympathies to Francoise Turner on the passing of her mother
 Georgette Anquetil. Nous gardons Francoise et sa famille dans nos
 meilleures pensees.

 Nominating Committee: We are seeking about 3 volunteers to serve
 on the committee responsible for nominating candidates for the 2007
 slate of officers. Please contact Josette Shaughnessy at 598-2640.

 The Watermills of Pont-Aven
 "14 watermills, 15 houses" was the colorful description of this small
 village in the 19th century. It was indeed these watermills that made
 Pont-Aven famous. The nearby river Aven welcomed the introduction
 of a dozen or so watermills in the small valley. This resolute river
 course still crosses the village, after rapidly running down the nearby
 Black Mountains and colliding with a jumble of rocks before flowing
 into the Atlantic Ocean a few miles further. Built by monks or lords,
 the watermills brought prosperity to the region. Grain, after being
 transformed into flour, was easily conveyed by waterway along the
 Breton coastline. This place that was once just a modest ford-crossing
 became a flourishing port. The shipping of cereals, foodstuffs, sand
 and other materials leaving Pont-Aven allowed for trade with England.
 Even though some of these watermills are long gone, the 4 that
 remain today give Pont-Aven much of its charm, and give strollers
 much delight: the watermills of Porte Neuve, Rosmadec, Poulhoas
 and the Grand Poulguin watermill which has become a heavenly
 crêpe restaurant. As for the famous Ty Meur watermill immortalized in
 Paul Gauguin's 1888 painting "Les Lavandières" ("The washer-
 women"), it was destroyed by the tides' repeated battering and is no
                                     6
 more.



 A Little Inexpensive Hole of a Place
 The location of Pont-Aven was discovered in the mid-19th century by
 a group of American painters who immediately fell in love with this
 lively and prosperous small town. The calm, the light, the colors, the
 traditional costumes and headdresses, and the warm welcome from
 the locals encouraged these artists to settle down there. At the same
 time, the brand new invention of paint in tubes further contributed to
 the gathering of these artists anxious to get closer to nature and get
 their easels out of the studios. Their world was radically transformed
 by this new technology. Indeed, they could finally leave their studios
 and set up in the open air to reproduce on canvas the wonderful
 Breton landscapes that they admired. Considered at the time to be the
 most exotic part of Europe, Brittany had remained a secret
 destination. The development of the railroad changed this, and was
 soon to bring in a wave of Parisian artists who were more or less at
 loose ends and often penniless. In a letter to Gauguin, the painter
 Jobbe Duval described Pont-Aven as "a little inexpensive hole of a
 place". That was all it took for the disillusioned painter to come
 discover this haven of peace where he would be able to practice his
 art in all serenity...and on credit.
“The Pont-Aven School” , Paul Gauguin’s Legacy
The course of Paul Gauguin's life followed an unusual path. He was first
a sailor, then a stockbroker, even though he was interested in art and
started collecting it (mostly impressionist works) at a very early age.
However, it wasn't until he was about 38 years old that he decided to
dedicate his life exclusively to painting. In the early 1880s, he was broke.
The artistic movement he belonged to was contested and split apart,
while his married life was in ruins. It was during this very sad period that
he came to Pont-Aven for the first time in 1886. With his past experience
as a sailor and traveler, he was very quickly accepted in the port city.
Pont-Aven was already home to more than one hundred artists from all
over the world. They had followed the footsteps of the American painter
Robert Wyllie, who had arrived there twenty years earlier. But Gauguin
was a real trail-blazer, and created a new movement called "Synthetism".
It's on the Aven river banks that he discovered the energy of colors. He
advocated the extreme simplification of forms, and proclaimed: "Paint
what you see, not what is!". He gathered a dozen or so painters of
various nationalities around him, among them Émile Bernard, Paul
Sérusier, Charles Filiger, Émile Schufferecker, Meyer de Hann and many
more, and so was born the Pont-Aven School.

The Love Forest: a Place, a Symbol, a Talisman
In a poor and somewhat prudish Brittany, the village of Pont-Aven
represented a very enjoyable stopover for travelers. The innkeepers
                                      7
always extended them a warm welcome, as did the Breton women. As a
matter of fact, the Love Forest owes its name to the freewheeling
lifestyles of the artists and their hostesses. It is in this pleasant green
setting, in the shade of hundred-year-old trees, that the painters of the
Pont-Aven School liked to meet to find inspiration and give in to their art
without inhibition. This is also the quasi-magical place where Paul
Gauguin gave Paul Sérusier a most famous painting lesson in October
1888. He advised him not to dilute his paints but quite the contrary, to
use his colors directly out of their tubes. The end result of this particular
lesson was a real masterpiece painted on a vulgar little wooden cigar
box panel: "The Talisman". Owing its magnificence to the pure and
fauvist colors, this singular synthetic work alone summed up Gauguin's
ground-breaking influences and Sérusier's innovations. It became known
as the Love Forest Lesson, the key to understanding the Synthetism
movement.

The Tremalo Chapel
The Trémalo chapel was a strolling destination for artists. Sitting at the
top of the Love Forest, surrounded by large paths bordered by hundred-
year-old oak and beech trees, this charming 16th century Gothic
structure dominates a landscape where it takes center stage. Its
asymmetrical roof almost reaches the ground. At the entrance, an angel
carrying the coat of arms of the lords of Plessis (the chapel's founding
family) greets the pilgrims. The Trémalo Chapel has inspired many an
artist, but once again it is Gauguin's work that is associated with this
mythical place. Inside the building is a 17th century Christ sculpted in
multi-colored wood, that was many times a source of inspiration for the
artist, as seen in "The Yellow Christ" and "Self-portrait with the Yellow
Christ". Paul Gauguin was sensitive to the Breton faith and religious
traditions that were still very much alive, and to popular religious art in
general. The chapel has kept its 3 wooden altars, as well as the beams
and string-pieces sculpted from polychrome wood into grotesque
figurines that represent the 7 deadly sins.

Beautiful Angèle
 The artists who lived in Pont-Aven were struggling financially, and the
innkeepers often had to extend them credit. It was therefore not unusual
to find the work of these artists on the walls or even ceilings of the inns
and cafés they frequented, as they offered paintings and sculptures to
pay off their debts. To thank his friend Frédéric Satre and his wife Angèle
for their generosity, Paul Gauguin offered to paint this beautiful woman's
portrait. Even though this portrait of Marie Angélique Satre, known as
"Beautiful Angèle", is now considered to be one of Paul Gauguin's
absolute masterpieces, back in 1889 it was turned down by the Satre
family who found it to be greatly disappointing. They could not recognize
Angèle who had the reputation of being the most beautiful woman in
Pont-Aven. Some time later, the name "Beautiful Angèle" was applied to
the hull of a grandiose schooner, as this beautiful woman's family was
                                    8
made up of ship-owners and captains. Today, at about 48 feet long by 15
feet wide, and weighing 31 tons, this spectacular boat still gives the
impression of gliding over the water, barely skimming across it, due to its
177 square meters (1,905 square feet) of sail.

The Cookies of Pont-Aven : "Traou Mad"
In line with traditional Breton cooking, the cookies of Pont-Aven are the
pride and joy of Breton pastry-making. As we mentioned previously,
Pont-Aven's main line of business was the processing of grain, thanks to
the many watermills that lined the river Aven. The cookies of Pont-Aven
date back to 1890, when Isidore Penven took over the family bakery from
his father. He had started to develop thin and crispy cookies from wheat
flour, fresh butter, sugar, and eggs, but died in 1914. His widower
Francine set off with her new husband, Alexis le Villain, to make these
flat round cookies the company's main product. They named their
cookies "Galettes de Pont-Aven" and then the thicker ones "Traou Mad"
(which in the regional Breton language means "good things"). In 1952,
Francine partnered with Roger Belin to create Biscuiterie Le Villain Inc.,
while Roger, Isidore de Penven's son, started his own cookie factory that
he named "Les Délices de Pont-Aven". These two related businesses
earned the city the distinction of "Outstanding Site for Taste". You can
visit both companies and leave with a sample pack of cookies in your
pocket. A good tasting is guaranteed for all, so do not hold back!


Les moulins de Pont-Aven
"Quatorze moulins, quinze maisons" est la devise datant du XIXème
siècle qui décrit merveilleusement la petite bourgade de l'époque. En
effet, ce sont ses moulins qui ont fait la renommée de Pont Aven. La
proximité de l’Aven permit l’implantation de plus d’une dizaine de
moulins dans le vallon. En effet, le cours d'eau intrépide traverse le
village, après être descendu rapidement des Montagnes Noires toutes
proches et s’être heurté à un véritable chaos de rochers pour se jeter,
quelques kilomètres plus loin, dans l'Océan Atlantique. Construits par
des moines ou des seigneurs, les moulins favorisèrent la prospérité de la
région. Le grain, une fois transformé en farine, pouvait être facilement
transporté, par voie d'eau, le long des côtes bretonnes. L’endroit qui
n'était à l'origine qu'un modeste passage à gué se métamorphosa en
port florissant. Au départ de Pont Aven, le transport maritime de
céréales, de denrées alimentaires, de sable et d’autres matériaux au
départ de Pont-Aven permit le commerce jusqu’en Grande-Bretagne.
Même si certains de ces moulins ont malheureusement disparu, quatre
d’entre eux subsistent, aujourd’hui, pour le plus grand bonheur des
promeneurs et contribuent à son charme : le moulin de Porte Neuve, de
Rosmadec, de Poulhoas et celui du Grand Poulguin qui est devenu une
crêperie, paradis des gourmands. Quant au célèbre moulin de Ty Meur
qui fut immortalisé par le tableau « Les Lavandières » de Paul Gauguin
en 1888... il fut sapé par les coups de boutoir de la marée et a disparu.
                                     9


"Le petit trou pas cher"
Le site de Pont Aven fut découvert au milieu du XIXème siècle par un
groupe de peintres américains qui furent immédiatement séduits par
cette bourgade prospère et vivante. Le calme, la lumière, les couleurs,
les costumes, les coiffes traditionnelles et l'accueil chaleureux des
habitants incitèrent ces artistes à s'y installer à demeure. À la même
époque, une toute nouvelle invention contribua au rassemblement de
ces artistes curieux de la nature et désireux de sortit leur chevalet des
ateliers : la peinture en tube. Elle allait simplement révolutionner leur
univers. En effet, grâce à ce tout nouveau procédé, ils pouvaient enfin
quitter leurs studios, s’installer au grand air et reproduire sur toile les
merveilleux paysages bretons qui s'offraient devant leurs yeux.
Considérée comme la partie la plus exotique de l'Europe, la Bretagne
était restée une destination confidentielle. Le développement du chemin
de fer allait changer tout cela et, quelques années plus tard, amener un
flot d'artistes parisiens plus ou moins désœuvrés, souvent désargentés.
Dans un courrier qu'il adressait à Gauguin, le peintre Jobbe Duval
décrivit Pont Aven comme "un petit trou pas cher". Il n'en fallut pas plus
au peintre désenchanté pour venir découvrir ce havre de paix où il
pourrait exercer son art en toute tranquillité et... vivre à crédit.

"L’École de Pont Aven", héritage de Paul Gauguin
Le parcours de Paul Gauguin est plutôt atypique... d'abord matelot puis
agent de change, si très jeune, il s'intéresse à l'art et devient rapidement
collectionneur, notamment d'oeuvres impressionnistes, ce n’est que vers
l'âge de trente huit ans qu’il décidera de consacrer sa vie exclusivement
à la peinture.
Au début des années 1880, il est ruiné. Le mouvement artistique auquel
il appartient est déchiré et contesté, sa vie conjugale brisée. C'est dans
ce contexte bien triste qu'il se rend à Pont Aven pour la première fois en
1886. Son passé de voyageur et de marin le fait très vite être accepté
dans la cité portuaire. Pont Aven abrite déjà plus d'une centaine
d'artistes venus du monde entier dans le sillage du peintre américain
Robert Wyllie, arrivé vingt ans plus tôt. Mais Gauguin, en véritable
précurseur crée un mouvement nouveau dit du « synthétisme ». C’est au
bord des rives de l’Aven que le peintre découvre l'énergie des couleurs.
Il revendique la simplification extrême des formes : « Peignez ce que
vous voyez, non ce qui est ! », clame-t-il. En ralliant autour de lui une
vingtaine de peintres de nationalités diverses, parmi lesquels émile
Bernard, Paul Sérusier, Charles Filiger, Émile Schufferecker, Meyer de
Hann et bien d’autres, il porte sur les fonds baptismaux l’École de Pont
Aven.

Le Bois d’Amour : un lieu, un symbole, un talisman
Dans une Bretagne pauvre et quelque peu prude, le village de Pont-
Aven incarnait pour les voyageurs une véritable étape plaisante.
                                    10
L’accueil des aubergistes était cordial et celui des bretonnes tout aussi
chaleureux. Le Bois d’Amour doit d’ailleurs son nom à la liberté de
mœurs qui unissait artistes et hôtesses. C’est dans cette tranquille
verdure, protégée du soleil par des arbres centenaires que les peintres
de l’École de Pont-Aven aimaient à se réunir pour trouver l'inspiration et
donner libre cours à leur Art, en toute liberté. C’est dans ce lieu presque
magique que Paul Gauguin dispensa une célèbre leçon de peinture à
Paul Sérusier en octobre 1888. Lui recommandant de ne pas diluer sa
peinture mais, au contraire, d'utiliser les couleurs directement extraites
des tubes. Ce cours particulier donna naissance à un véritable chef-
d'oeuvre, peint sur le vulgaire petit panneau de bois d’une boîte à
cigares : « Le Talisman ». Magnifié par des couleurs pures et fauves, ce
tableau synthétique résumait à lui seul les influences novatrices de
Gauguin et les découvertes de Sérusier... il devient la leçon du Bois
d’Amour, clef pour la compréhension du Synthétisme.

La chapelle de Trémalo
But des promenades des artistes, au sommet du Bois d’Amour, se
dresse une charmante chapelle, entourée de larges allées bordées de
hêtres et de chênes centenaires : la chapelle de Trémalo. L’édifice
gothique du XVIème siècle s’impose massivement au milieu du paysage.
Son toit asymétrique touche, en effet, presque le sol. À l'entrée, un ange
portant les armoiries des seigneurs du Plessis (famille fondatrice de la
chapelle) accueille les pèlerins. Cette chapelle a inspiré de nombreux
artistes mais, encore une fois, c’est l’oeuvre de Gauguin qu’on associe à
ce lieu mythique. À l’intérieur de l’édifice se trouve un Christ sculpté, en
bois polychrome du XVIIème siècle, qui inspira le peintre à plusieurs
reprises : « Le Christ Jaune » et « Autoportrait au Christ Jaune ». Paul
Gauguin est, à cette époque, sensible à la foi et aux traditions bretonnes
toujours bien vivantes et, d'une manière plus générale, à l’art populaire
d’inspiration religieuse. La chapelle a conservé ses trois autels en bois,
les poutres et les sablières sculptées de figurines grotesques en bois
polychrome qui représentent les sept péchés capitaux.

La belle Angèle
Les artistes vivant à Pont Aven étaient si peu fortunés que les
aubergistes devaient souvent leur faire crédit. Il n'était donc pas rare
qu'afin d'éponger leurs dettes, les peintres ornent les murs ou les
plafonds des auberges et cafés qu'ils fréquentaient de leurs oeuvres, ou
offrent des sculptures ou des tableaux. Voulant remercier son ami
Frédéric Satre et son épouse Angèle pour leur générosité, Paul Gauguin
se proposa de peindre le portrait de cette femme si belle. Si le portrait de
Marie Angélique Satre dite "la Belle Angèle" est aujourd'hui l’une des
pièces maîtresses de l’oeuvre de Paul Gauguin... en 1889, la famille
Satre refusa le tableau tant leur déception fut grande. Ils ne parvenaient
pas à reconnaître Angèle qui avait pourtant la réputation d'être la plus
belle de Pont Aven. Au fil du temps et parce que la famille de la belle
Angèle était composée d’armateurs et de capitaines, le nom de « La
Belle Angèle » fut apposé sur la coque d’un chasse-marée de belle
                                    11
envergure. Quatorze mètres cinquante de long, pour quatre mètres
cinquante de large, ce bateau de toute beauté, malgré ses trente et une
tonnes donne l’impression, encore aujourd’hui grâce à ses cent soixante-
dix sept mètres carrés de voilures, de glisser sur l’eau en l’effleurant à
peine.

Les galettes de Pont-Aven : « Traou Mad »
Dans le respect de la tradition culinaire bretonne, les galettes de Pont-
Aven sont parmi les fleurons de la pâtisserie bretonne. Grâce à ses
nombreux moulins qui jalonnaient l’Aven, Pont-Aven avait, comme nous
l’avons évoqué précédemment, pour activité principale la transformation
du grain. L’origine des galettes de Pont-Aven remonte à 1890, date à
laquelle Isidore Penven, succède à son père dans la boulangerie
familiale. Il commença à élaborer des galettes fines et croustillantes à
base de farine de froment, de beurre frais, de sucre et d’œufs mais
mourut en 1914. Francine, sa veuve, décide, avec Alexis le Villain, son
nouvel époux, de faire de la fabrication des galettes, l’activité principale
de l’entreprise. Les marques de leurs biscuits seront : « Galettes de
Pont-Aven » et « Traou Mad » (ce qui signifie en breton, la langue
régionale, « choses bonnes »). En 1952, tandis que Francine s’associe à
Roger Belin, pour créer la SA Biscuiterie Le Villain, Roger, le fils
d’Isidore de Penven, décide de fonder sa propre fabrique de galettes
qu’il nomme : « les Délices de Pont-Aven ». Ces deux maisons, presque
sœurs, permirent à la ville d’obtenir la distinction de « Site remarquable
du goût ». Chacune de ces entreprises est aujourd’hui accessible au
public qui repart toujours avec un paquet de galettes dans sa poche :
délectation assurée... et sans modération !

N’est pas américain qui le veut !
Implantée dans le vallon aux couleurs chatoyantes, Pont-Aven a su jouer
de sa vocation picturale pour obtenir une renommée mondiale. Hiver
comme été, celle que l’on appelle encore le paradis des artistes, vit aux
rythmes des marées. Pont–Aven est ainsi le seul endroit de Bretagne où
les Américains viennent tout au long de l’année, du moins le prétend-on.
Mais dans l’esprit des bretons, « l’américain » est un étranger que l’on
accueille chaleureusement. Qu’il soit australien, anglais, néerlandais ou
simplement parce qu’il parle anglais, l’étranger est forcément un
américain. Mais pour l’artiste d’ici ou d’ailleurs, Pont-Aven pourrait se
résumer ainsi... en breton : « Bro goz ar milinou ; Baradoz an Arzou »,
soit : « des moulins pour le vieux pays, des artistes pour en faire un
paradis ».


The article used in this publication and the photos at the end of the
article were found at www.francemonthly.com

The photo on the cover is property of Steven W Chambers.
12

								
To top