Position applied for :Regional Leader for Sub -Saharan Africa at CIP
1. Name : Dr Yudh Vir Singh
2. Date of Birth : 1st May 1963
3. Subject of specialization : Agronomy
4. Designation : Senior Scientist(Agronomy)
5. Address : Centre for Conservation & Utilization of Blue Green Algae,
Indian Agricultural Research Institute,
New Delhi –110012, India
E mail: yvsingh63@Yahoo.co.in
6.Marital status: . Married (1 son,1 daughter)
Degree Name of Passing Marks/Division Subject/
University year obtained specialization
B.Sc(Ag) Agra University, 1983 69.5%,1st Div. All Agricultural
Hons. India Courses
M.Sc(Ag) GBPUA&T, 1986 82.82%,1st Div. Agronomy
Agronomy Pantnagar,India OGPA
Ph.D BCKV, 1991 No course work Agronomy
8. Employment record:
Post held Name of Period Nature of duties
Research Central Rice 5.5.90 27.10.94 Research (OFR) &
Associate Research Institute,
(Agronomy) Cuttack, India Extension (Ford
Training Central Rice 28.10.94 27.10.99 Research,
Associate (T6) * Research Institute, Training, Extension
Cuttack,India & Management of
(Agronomy) Farm Science
Training Central Rice 28.10.99 20.4.2004 -Do-
Associate (T7) * Research Institute,
Senior Scientist CCUBGA, IARI, 21.4.2004 Continuing Research &
(Agronomy) New Delhi,India
Teaching for PG
*Worked as Officer in Charge of Krishi Vigyan Kendra (Farm Science Centre) from 20.12.1995
A working knowledge of computers with an experience of using different softwares like
MSWORD,EXCEL,POWER POINT,MSTAT, Internet etc.
Summary of qualifications,skills,characters, interest and relevance to the position:
I have got Ph.D in Agronomy and I am having 14 years post Ph.D experience in rice
based farming system .
I have got vast practical agricultural research/ exrension experience at various
research stations as well as farmers’ field conditions. In fact, out of my 14 years
career, I have worked for 11 years (1991-2002) on farmers’ participatory on-farm
research with mostly resource poor farmers in different parts of Orissa, India.
I have very good understanding of constraints of small farmers and my 11 years
experience in on-farm research is the evidence of it.
I have worked extensively on all aspects of crop production like improved
germplasm/varietal evaluation, stand establishment, nutrient, weed and moisture
management, rice base farming systems. I have published 50 research / extension
papers on different these aspects .
I have worked under all ecologies i.e rainfed, irrigated and lowlands. However, I have
worked more (say 75%) under rainfed upland and lowland ecologies.
In addition to working on rice, I have worked on agro-ecosystem analysis, PRA/PLA,
environment vulnerability analysis, on-farm agricultural (mainly rice) technology
generation, assessment and its refinement , cropping systems, farming systems,
training to farmers and extension functionaries and organic farming.
I was managing a Farm Science Center as its Officer –in- Charge during 20.12.1995 to
17.4.2003 (8 years), where I was to look after overall development of the centre and
utilization of resources including human resources .I was head of multi-disciplinary
team at this center.
I have mostly worked in multi-disciplinary teams and multi-cultural environments for a
long time and I enjoy working in such environment.
I have very good proficiency in English and good ability to communicate research
results effectively to a wide range of audiences.
I have working knowledge of different software packages of computer .
I have very strong commitment to enhance farm productivity and poverty reduction in
the developing world.
List of publications of Dr Y.V.Singh
1. Mandal,B.K;Das,N.C; Singh,Y.V and Ghosh,R.K.(1991).Effect of phosphorus on
multiplication and nitrogen content of Azolla. Indian J. of Agricultural
2. Mandal,B.K; Singh,Y.V and Bhunia,S.K.(1991).Yield of lentil (Lens Culinaris) and
niger (Guizotia abyssinica)grown as a sole and inter crop as influenced by irrigation
and mulch.Indian J. of Agronomy,36:133-137.
3. Jha,K.P and Singh,Y.V.(1991).Rice based cropping systems for humid tropics. Proc.
Nat.Symp. Farming systems for sustained productivity in humid tropics.16-17
Dec.,1991.CARI, Port blair,p. 69-80.
4. Moorthy,B.T.S; Singh,Y.V;Pradhan,S.C and Jha,K.P.(1991).On farm evaluation of
promising rice varieties for different land types and feasibility of rice based
intercropping and crop substitution for rainfed drought prone uplands of Phulbani
district of Orissa. Proc. Nat. Symp. Farming systems for sustained productivity in
humid tropics.16-17 Dec.,1991.CARI, Port blair, p.114-118.
5. Mandal,B.K;Subudhi,U.K and Singh,Y.V.(1992).Response of rice (Oryza Sativa) to
green leaf manure and prilled urea. Indian J. of Agricultural Sciences,62(7):432-35.
6. Mandal,B.K; Singh,Y.V and Mandal,B.K.(1992).Residual effect of mulch and
preceeding crops on rice. Madras Agric. Journal.79(3):164-167.
7. Mandal,B.K;Das,N.C; Singh,Y.V and Ghosh,R.K.(1993).Use of Azolla and other
organic materials for rice production.Oryza,30(1):54-59.
8. Singh,Y.V ;Routray,R;Jha,S;Rajamani,S;Ramkrishnayya,S and Jha,K.P.(1993).On
farm evaluation of promising short duration rice varieties under rainfed lateritic uplands
of Orissa, India Eastern IndiaFSRE News Letter,7(1):7-8.
9. Singh,Y.V;Behera,U.K and Jha,K.P.(1996).Evaluation of promising upland rice (Oryza
sativa L.) varieties and their response to methods of stand establishment, weed
management and nutrient level under phosphorus deficient and lateritic soils of Orissa.
Indian J. of Agricultural Sciences,66(12):718-21.
10. Singh,Y.V and Mandal,B.K.(1996).Manuring of rice through organic sources in
11. Singh,Y.V and Mandal,B.K.(1997).Residual effect of organic manures and inorganic
fertilizers on succeeding ratoon rice. Madras Agric. Journal.84(2):73-76.
12. Singh,Y.V ; Mandal, B.K and Ghosh,T.K.(1997).Response of K, Zn, Fe, Mn and Cu
towards the growth of Azolla caroliniana wildnow. J. of Tropical Agric. 25(1);28-32.
13. Singh,Y.V and Mandal,B.K.(1997).Nutrition of rice (Oryza sativa) through Azolla,
organic materials and urea.Indian J.Agronomy,42(4):626-633.
14. Behera,U.K;Singh,Y.V and Jha,K.P.(1998).Comprehensive investigation on varietal
evaluation, time of sowing and wetting and nitrogen requirement of upland rice in
drought prone Kalahandi district of Orissa. Oryza.34(2):131-139.
15. Singh,Y.V and Mandal,B.K.(1998).Changes in nitrogen and phosphorus status in soil
during rice crop growth as influenced by different organic and inorganic materials. J.
Andaman Sci.Association.14(2) :14-21.
16. Behera,U.K and Singh,Y.V (1999).Evaluation of promising rice varieties and their
response to green manuring , phosphorus and nitrogen management. Ann.Agric.
17. Singh,Y.V and Mandal,B.K.(2000).Rate of mineralization of Azolla, other organic
materials and urea in water logged soils.Tropical Agriculture(Trinidad).77(1):119-
18. Nayak,J;Lenka,S and Singh,Y.V (2000).Training needs of farm women in post harvest
process of rice .J. of Extension Education.V(1&2)54-57.
19. Singh,Y.V;Rao,K.S and Singh,B.N.(2002).Intercropping of rice and pigeonpea for
improving soil quality and productivity under rainfed uplands.Proc.National Symp. On
"Problems and solutions of land degradation under dryland areas" held at CRIDA,
1. Singh,Y.V and Jha,K.P.(1994).Upari bhumi main bharpoor utpadan kaise lein (How to
take optimum production from uplands).Kheti,48(9):19-22. (In Hindi).
2. Singh,Y.V;Moorthy,B.T.S ;Das,M.M ;Pradhan,S.C and Jha,K.P.(1994).Case study of a
village in Orissa through Rapid Rural Appraisal(RRA) and Participatory Rural Appraisal
(PRA) techniques.Eastern India FSRE News letter.VII(1):18-24.
3. Jha,K.P; Singh,Y.V and Sasmal,S (1995).Appropriate rice technology for rainfed red
lateritic uplands of Dhenkanal district of Orissa. Farmer and Parliament.30(10):23-24.
4. Singh,Y.V; Jha,K.P and Sasmal,S (1995).Grow remunerative crops after paddy under
lateritic uplands. Intensive Agriculture,XXXIII(9-10):29-31.
5. Singh,Y.V; Jha,K.P; Moorthy,B.T.S and Pradhan,S.C.(1996).Appropriate technology
for increasing and stabilizing crop yield in rainfed risk prone lateritic uplands of
Dhenkanal and Phulbani. Indian Farming.46(5):21-26.
6. Jha,K.P; Singh,Y.V ;Sasmal,S and Jha,S.(1996).Suitable rice based cropping systems
for alluvial soils of coastal Orissa. Indian Farming.46(3):4-9.
7. Jha,K.P;Sharma,A.R;Rao,K.S and SinghY.V.(1996). Management practices for
improving and stabilizing rice yields under shallow , intermediate and semi deep
lowland ecosystems. Farmer and Parliament.XXXI(8): 17-20.
8. Chandra,D; SinghY.V ;Sasmal,S and Jha,K.P.( 1996). Improved package of practices
for growing Indian mustard in post rice season of coastal Orissa. Indian
9. Chandra,D;Saha,S; SinghY.V and Das, T.K( 1996).Utility of organic manures in rice
production. Intensive Agriculture,XXXIV(11-12):3-7.
10. Singh, Y.V and Sasmal,S.(1997).Improved package of practices for increasing arhar
yield in Orissa.Farmer and Parliament.XXXII(9-12): 5-7.
11. Singh,Y.V;Moorthy,B.T.S and Jha,K.P.(1997). Case study of an Orissa village using
rapid and participatory rural appraisal techniques.Agril.Extension Review.9(9):20-25.
12. Sasmal,S and Singh,Y.V.(1997).Krishi vigyanikon aur kisano ki asha.(inHindi).Krishi
13. Singh, Y.V and Sasmal,S.(1998).Package of practices for increasing sesame
production in Orissa.Farmer and Parliament.XXXV(8): 21-22.
14. Jha,K.P;Sasmal,S and Singh,Y.V(1998).Technology for dryland rice farming for
Dhenkanal district Orissa.Intensive Agriculture,36(5-6):29-31.
15. Jha,K.P;Sahoo,R.K and Singh,Y.V.(1998).Sammanvit krishi paddhati .(Integrated
farming systems). Krishi Chaynika 19(2):12-17&48. (In Hindi).
16. Das,K.M;Singh,Y.V;Mishra,S;Sasmal,S and Mathur,K.C(1999).Stabilization of rice
yield in rainfed uplands.ICAR News.p.6
17. Singh,Y.V;Behera,U.K and Jha,K.P.(1999).Strategies to increase rice production in
rainfed phosphorus defficient red lateritic uplands of Orissa.Indian Farming.42(4):626-
18. Singh,Y.V; Jha,K.P and Sasmal,S.(1999). Performance and front line demonstration
on rice in Orissa.Intensive Agriculture,XXXVII(5-6):27-28.
19. Singh,Y.V; Jha,K.P; Behera,U.K and Sasmal,S.(2000).Low cost rice production
technology for rainfed phosphorus deficient lateritic uplands of Orissa. Orissa
20. Singh,Y.V; Jha,K.P ; Sasmal,S and Jha,S (2002).Promising rice based cropping
systems for alluvial soils of coastal Orissa. Intensive Agriculture,XXXX(5-6):19-21.
21. Singh,Y.V(2002).Resource management for crop production on drylands.
22. Singh,Y.V and Jha,K.P (2003).Vandana-an upland rice variety(Technical Bulletin)
23. Singh,Y.V and Jha,K.P (2003).Improved cultural practices for improving yield of rice.
24. Singh,Y.V and Chaubey,S.S.(2003). Desh khadann utpadan main atmanirbharta ki
ore agrasar. Krishi Vistar Samiksha,13(6):21-23.(In Hindi).
25. Singh,Y.V and Chaubey,S.S.(2003).Purvi Bharat ke versha ashrit upari kshetron ke
liye dhan utpadan ki unnat technique (Improved technique for growing rice in rainfed
uplands of Eastern India). Unnat Krishi,41(3):20-22.( In Hindi).
26. Singh,Y.V.,Mishra,S.,Mallick,P.K.,Mishra,J.R.,Lenka,S and Nayak,J.(2003) Krishi
Vigyan Kendra,Cuttack-Achievements (in English&Oriya) (Technical Bulletin)
27. Mallick,P.K and Singh,Y.V..(2003).Backyard Poultry Rearing (in English & Oriya)
28. Singh,Y.V and Chaubey,S.S.(2004). Dhan ki ek unnat kism –Vandana . Kheti ,57 (5):
29. Singh,Y.V and Chaubey,S.S.(2004).Durga-purvi Bharat ki neechi bhumion ke liye
dhan ki ek uttam kism..Krishi Chaynika 2(APR-JUNE,2004),25-26 (In Hindi).
30. Singh,Y.V and Jha,K.P (2004).Improved cultural practices for improving yields of
upland rice. Intensive Agriculture,XXXXII(3-4):19-21.
31. Singh,Y.V and Singh,B.N.(2004).Vandana – a drought tolerent rice variety for uplands
of Orissa. Indian Farming.47(7):9-11.
PAPER PRESENTED IN SYMPOSIA/WORKSHOP/SEMINAR:
Total paper presented : 30 nos.
Contact details of professional referees:
1.Dr Dolly W. Dhar,
Principal Scientist & Principal Investigator,
Centre for Conservation & Utilization of Blue Green Algae , Indian Agricultural Research
Institute, New Delhi –110012
Phone:011-25848431(O) ; 011- 25842080® ; Fax 011-25741648
E mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ex Director, CRRI, Cuttack & Officer on Special Duty,
Directorate of Rice Research,Rajendranagar,
Hyderabad, 500030, India
Fax no. 040-24015308
E mail: email@example.com
3.Dr S. G. Sharma
Central Rice Research Institute,Cuttack,Orissa, India
Phone: 0671-2443015(O); 0671-2440257 (R)
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
(Signature of applicant)
Yahoo! India Matrimony: Find your life partner online.