NCRC Senior Program Manager
Grand Rapids Community College
WorkKeys is a measurement tool.
WorkKeys quantifies skills in the following categories:
• Applied Mathematics
• Applied Technology
• Business Writing
• Locating Information
• Reading for Information
Job Profile – identifies the skills and skill levels needed to be successful on the job.
Assessments – shows the current skill levels of an individual.
Training – helps individuals and employers correct skill gaps.
National Career Readiness Certificate Skill Areas:
Reading for Information
• Skill Areas of The Career Readiness Certificates
– Reading for Information
– Applied Mathematics
– Locating Information
Three Certificate levels:
• Bronze – Minimum of Level 3 in all Skill Areas
– Qualified for 30% of Jobs
• Silver – Minimum of Level 4
– Qualified for 65% of Jobs
• Gold – Minimum of Level 5
– Qualified for 85% of Jobs
“Employers work to make things: predictable,
uniform, and certain.
Predictability, uniformity, and certainty are
universal goals of executives. The NCRC does this
for the hiring process.”
Mac MacIlroy, President MMA
Coming to Michigan:
National Career Readiness Certificate
• Three NCRC assessments in the MME
• Michigan Works! launching state-wide
• Michigan is ranked 3rd in the U.S.
• Unprecedented alignment
College Admissions Analogy:
• 4600 Colleges and universities speak to thousands of high
schools via the ACT.
• Employers can collectively speak to thousands of high
schools, colleges, and workforce agencies via the NCRC.
“Ready for College” & “Ready for Work”
A “Ready for Work” Skills Currency
The 80/20 Rule
Employers access services available in the
workforce system to give them 80% of what
they need, and then add the 20% that is both
relevant to their job in question, but also to
1. Require the NCRC 3. Require a specific Level
2. Require a specific Level Score on a specific
of NCRC – Bronze, WorkKeys® Test
Silver or Gold Perform a Skill Map or WorkKeys Job
Acceptable Documentation: Perform an Profile
Occupational Reference or
If a required criterion involves a specific NCRC or Level Score hiring
request, it is important to ask and understand how the criterion was
determined, what documentation does the employer have on file.