Knowledge of geography is an important factor when working as a customer service person. The
company may have clients located all over the world and you will be expected to contact them by
telephone at various times of the day. Knowing the location in the world as well as the time of the day to
place the telephone call will contribute to the success of the company.
Upon completion of the LAP, the student will be able to:
1. Locate states, state capitals, and large cities in the United States using a map of the United States.
2. Locate world locations using maps.
3. Identify time zones in the United States and in the world and calculate correct times from different
locations in the world.
Local telephone book
LAP: GEO IV REL. 3/96 Prerequisite: none TIME (6) Hours
Developed by: Tulsa Technology Center, Curriculum Dept. Dr. Nelda Bloom, Tony Bozewicz, Jerry Garvan
This teachers guide contains the student activity sheets,objective sheet, and all assignment sheets
with the correct answers.
This LAP has been designed to allow students to complete this exercise on their own in the
classroom or at home as homework. The World Atlas or World Globe is a resource that will aid the
student in completing the LAP and should be avialable.
The assignment sheets for each of the three sections will require grading. The esssay questions
should be graded on the material in the LAP and any other outside material assigned for study by the
The pre-test should be given prior to the assignment of the LAP. The post test should be given
after completion of this LAP. The test questions are divided into three areas which match the LAP
topics. If a student fails the exam, but is only weak in one or two areas then only those areas should be
reviewed by the student before further testing. When the student feels that he/she knows the material
then the student should be retested. The student should make 80% to pass the LAP.
THE STUDENTS LEARNING ACTIVITY SHEET
The student must follow each step exactly in the order given and check off the steps as they complete
U. S. LOCATIONS
______ l. READ: Objectives for U.S. LOCATIONS on page 4.
______ 2. READ: GEOGRAPHY on page 5.
______ 3. STUDY: Information sheet #l, U. S. States and State Capitals on page 6.
______ 4. STUDY: Information sheet #2, U. S. States and State Capital locations
on page 7.
______ 5. DO: Assignment sheet #l, U. S. State and State Capital matching on
______ 6. DO: Assignment sheet #2, place state capital on U. S. State map on
______ 7. STUDY: Information sheet #3, U. S. State postal abbreviations on page
______ 8. REVIEW: Information sheet #4, U.S. State postal abbreviations on map
on page 11.
______ 9. DO: Assignment sheet #3, assign U. S. State postal abbreviations to
state names on page 12.
______ 10 STUDY: Information sheet #5, regions of the U. S. States on page
______ 11. DO: Assignment sheet #4, Place state names into regions on pages
14 and 15.
______ 12. STUDY: Information sheet #6, major cities of the U.S.on page 16.
______ 13. STUDY: Information sheet #7, major cities on the U. S. map on page
______ 14. DO: Assignment sheet #5, Summary of U.S. geography on page
______ 15. READ: Objectives for WORLD LOCATIONS on page 4.
______ 16. READ: WORLD GEOGRAPHY on page 20.
______ 17. STUDY: Information sheet #l, world continents and oceans on page
______ 18. DO: Assignment sheet #l, World map assignment on page 22.
______ 19. STUDY: Information sheet #2, countries of Europe on page 23.
______ 20. DO: Assignment sheet #2, list information on Europe on page
______ 21. READ: Objectives for Time Zones on page 4.
______ 22. READ: TIME ZONES on page 26.
______ 23. STUDY: Information sheet #l, U. S. time zones on page 27.
______ 24. DO: Assignment sheet #l, U.S. time zones on page 28.
______ 25. STUDY: Information sheet #2, world time zones on page 29.
______ 26. REVIEW: Information sheet#3, world time zones on page 30.
______ 27. DO: Assignment sheet #2, world time zones on page 31.
When the student completes the LAP, he/she will have meet the following objectives.
l. Name the states on a blank map.
2. Locate states on specific maps.
3. Name the two largest countries on the North American continent.
4. Name the two countries sharing borders with the U.S.
5. Explain the statement "The United States is a nation of immigrants."
6. Write postal state abbreviations next to state names.
7. Name the oceans on the east and west part of the U.S.
8. Name five of the largest cities in the Western, Eastern, Southern, and Northern U.S..
9. Locate and name on a map the best known western and eastern mountain ranges.
10. Match state capitols to states from a list.
11. Locate and name state capitols on a map.
l. Name the seven continents of the world.
2. Name the four oceans.
3. Discuss what geographers study.
4. Name countries on a map of Western Europe.
5. Discuss global marketing and why it is important to Americans.
6. Explain the effects of immigration on the growth, economy, and culture of a country.
l. Explain why the earth is divided into time zones.
2. Define and discuss the Prime Meridian.
3. Talk about the relationship of Greenwich, England to time zones.
4. Tell why the U.S. has daylight savings time.
5. Define and discuss the international date line.
6. Explain the time difference between the two side of 180 degree meridian and what happens
when you cross it.
7. Define meridian.
8. Discuss reasons for knowing time zones in the marketing function.
9. Name your time zone.
10. Compare the time in your zone with New York, Alaska, and Utah.
11. Name the four different time zones in America.
ASSIGNMENT SHEET #1. ANSWERS
STATE AND CAPITALS MATCHUP SHEET
Match the state to its capital by placing the letter next to the capital in the column next to the state
Alabama GG A Albany
Alaska BB B Annapolis
Arizona LL C Atlanta
Arkansas EE D Augusta
California QQ E Austin
Colorado P F Baton Rouge
Connecticut V G Bismarck
Delaware S H Boise
Florida WW I Boston
Georgia C J Carson City
Hawaii X K Charleston
Idaho H L Cheyenne
Illinois M Columbia
Indiana UU N Columbus
Iowa Y O Concord
Kansas R P Denver
Kentucky XX R Des Moines
Louisiana T S Dover
Maine F T Frankfort
Maryland D U Harrisburg
Massachusetts B V Hartford
Michigan I W Helena
Minnesota CC X Honolulu
Mississippi VV Y Indianapolis
Missouri Z Z Jackson
Montana AA Jefferson City
Nebraska W AA Juneau
Nevada DD BB Lansing
New York A CC Lincoln
New Jersey YY DD Little Rock
New Mexico TT EE Madison
New Hampshire O FF Montgomery
North Carolina OO GG Montpelier
North Dakota G HH Nashville
Ohio N II Oklahoma City
Oklahoma JJ Olympia
Oregon JJ KK Phoenix
Pennsylvania RR LL Pierre
Rhode Island U MM Providence
South Dakota NN NN Raleigh
South Carolina MM OO Richmond
Tennessee N PP Sacramento
Texas II QQ Salem
Utah E RR Salt Lake City
Vermont SS SS Santa Fe
Virginia HH TT Springfield
Washington PP UU St. Paul
West Virginia KK VV Tallahassee
Wisconsin K WW Topeka
Wyoming FF XX Trenton
ASSIGNMENT SHEET #2 ANSWERS
On the map below write in the correct state capitol for each state.
ASSIGNMENT SHEET #3 ANSWERS
STATE AND ABBREVIATION MATCHUP SHEET
Match the states to the abbreviations by placing the letters of the abbreviation next to the state.
Alabama AL AL
Alaska AK KY
Arizona AZ ND
Arkansas AR AK
California CA LA
Colorado CO OH
Connecticut CT AZ
Delaware DE ME
District of Columbia DC OK
Florida FL AR
Georgia GA MD
Hawaii HI OR
Idaho ID CA
Illinois IL MA
Indiana IN PA
Iowa IA CO
Kansas KS MI
Kentucky KY RI
Louisiana LA CT
Maine ME MN
Maryland MD SC
Massachusetts MA DE
Michigan MI MS
Minnesota MN SD
Mississippi MS MO
Missouri MO TN
Montana MT FL
Nebraska NE MT
Nevada NV TX
New York NY GA
New Jersey NJ NE
New Mexico UT
New Hampshire NM HI
North Carolina NH NV
North Dakota NC VT
Ohio ND ID
Oklahoma OH NH
Oregon OK VA
Pennsylvania OR IL
Rhode Island PA NJ
South Dakota RI WA
South Carolina SD IN
Tennessee SC NM
Texas TN WV
Utah TX IA
Vermont UT NY
Virginia VT WI
Washington VA KS
West Virginia WA NC
Wisconsin WV WY
Wyoming WI DC
ASSIGNMENT SHEET #4 ANSWERS
From the previous page list the states for each region.
Region l _
_ _______NORTH DAKOTA_____________________________
________RHODE ISLAND_____________________________ _______SOUTH
ASSIGNMENT SHEET #4 ANSWERS Con't
________LOUISIANA_________________________________ Region 4
ASSIGNMENT SHEET #4 ANSWERS
Answer the following question using the all the information sheets in this portion of the LAP.
l. The two countries bordering the continent of the United States are _CANADA______ and __MEXICO__.
2. The country to the north of the United States is __CANADA_________.
3. The two oceans bordering the continent of the United States are __ATLANTIC__ and __PACIFIC_____.
4. The Hawaiian Islands are to the _WEST____ of the continent of the United States and is surrounded by the
5. Explain why the United States is a nation of immigrants.
_____PEOPLE IMMIGRANTED FROM ALL PARTS OF THE WORLD___________
6. Name five large cities in the:
Western U.S. Eastern U.S. Northern U.S. Southern U.S.
l. _SEATTLE_______ l. ___BOSTON______ l. __ST.PAUL_______ l. _NEW ORLEANS__
2. _PORTLAND_____ 2. __NEW YORK___ 2. _CHICAGO______ 2. _MAIMI________
3. SAN FRANCISCO 3. _PHILADELPHIA 3. __ST LOUIS_____ 3. _ATLANTA______
4. _LOS ANGELES__ 4. __PITTSBURG___ 4. __OMAHA_______ 4. _HOUSTON_____
5. __SAN DIEGO___ 5. _ATLANTIC CITY 5. __KANAS CITY__ 5. __DALLAS____
7. Name the two main mountain ranges located in the United States.
__APPALACHIAN__________________ and _______ROCKY __________________
WORLD MAP ASSIGNMENT #l ANSWERS
List the seven continents. List the four oceans.
l. NORTH AMERICA l. PACIFIC
2. SOUTH AMERICA 2. ATLANTIC
3. AFRICA 3. INDIAN
4. EUROPE 4. ARCTIC
List the five areas that Geographers study.
l. _LOCATIONS__2. _PLACES______3. _PEOPLE___ 4. _ENVIRONMENT__5. __REGIONS__
Tell why global marketing is important to America.
__IMPORTS AND EXPORTS GREATLY AFFECT THE ECONOMY OF A COUNTRY___________
__EXPORTS BRINGS MONEY INTO A COUNTRY FOR MANUFACTURING AND PRODUCERS.
IMPORTS PROVIDE GOODS AN COUNTRY IS NOT ABLE TO PRODUCE FOR THEMSELF. _
WORLD ASSIGNMENT SHEET #2 ANSWERS
1. List the countries of western Europe.
____UNITED KINGDOM____________ _______DENMARK__________________
____WEST GERMANY_______________ _______SWITZERLAND______________
2. List the countries in Western Europe that do not have any coast line.
3. What effects does immigration, both incoming and departing, have on the growth, economy
and culture of a country?
___________PEOPLE ENTERING MAY CAUSE OVER POPULATION AND ECONOMIC BURDEN FOR
THE COUNTRY ________________________________________________________________
___________PEOPLE LEAVE FOR A REASON , WARS, HUNGER, ETC. IF THE WORKERS ARE _______
SKILLED WORKERS, THE COUNTRY MAY SUFFER._________________________________
TIME ZONE ASSIGNMENT SHEET #l ANSWERS
l. The United States has ____4____ time zones.
2. San Diego, CA is in the _PACIFIC_time zone
3. Tulsa is in the __CENTRAL___ time zone.
4. Harrisburg, PA is in the __EASTERN__ time zone.
5. You are making phone calls from Tulsa OK at l0:00 a.m..
If you called New York the time there would be ___11:00 A.M._____.
If you called California the time there would be ____8:00 A.M.______.
If you called Dallas, TX the time there would be __10:00 A.M.__.
If you called Alanta, Ga the time There would be ___11:00 A.M.__
If you called Albuquerque, NM the time there would be __9:00 A.M.___
If you called Chicago, IL the time there would be. __10:00 A.M.__
6. Daylight Saving Time begins on the first Sunday in April at which time you would move your clock
_______FORWARD____________ one hour. If the time was 8:00 a. m. in standard time the time in saving
time would be ____9:00 A.M.____________.
7. Day light Saving Time ends the last Sunday in October at which time you would move your clock
______BACK_________________ one hour. If the time was 7:00 a. m. in saving time the time in standard
time would be ______6:00 A.M.__________.
8. Your boss tells you to call Las Vegas, NV tomorrow morning at 8:00 a. m. Las Vegas time. You would make
the call at ______10:00 A.M.___________ Tulsa time.
9. Your boss told you to call Boston, MA this afternoon at l:00 p.m. Boston time. You would make the call at
______12:00 P.M.____________ Tulsa time.
10. Your boss told you that a client from Tucson, AZ would be calling you at ll:00 a.m. Tucson time. You would
have to be at your desk at __12:00 P.M.___ to receive the call.
TIME ZONE ASSIGNMENT SHEET #2 ANSWERS
When answering the following questions use standard time unless otherwise stated.
l. There are ___________24__________________ time zones on the planet earth.
2. If the time is l2:00 noon at the International Date Line, the time at the Prime Meridian would be _____12:00
A.M. (MID NIGHT)_____.
3. There are ____4__________________ hours time difference between Alaska and Maine.
4. If it is 5:00 p.m. in Maine, the time in Alaska would be_________1:00 P.M.___.
5. The Prime Meridian is located in the Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) or Zulu Time zone. If the GMT time is
l2:00 p.m. noom:
The time in Tulsa would be ____6:00 A.M._____ during the standard time and __5:00 A.M.
__________ during daylight saving time.
The time in England would be ________12:00 P.M._________.
The time in Japan would be _________9:00 P.M.___________.
The three different times in Australia would be _____8:00 P.M.________, _9:00 P.M.____, and
The time in Asia would be____________8:00 P.M.________.
6. The company you work for has a client in London, England and your boss tells you to call him at 3:00 p.m.
England time. What time would you call him from Tulsa ? _9:00 A.M.____
7. If you called somewhere in Asia at 8:00 a.m. standard time in Tulsa, the time in Asia would be _____10:00
P.M._____________ on the __________SAME_______________________day.
8. Your boss tells you that a client will be calling from Alaska at 8:00 a.m. Alaskan time. What time should you be
at your desk in Tulsa to receive the call? ____11:00 A.M.___
9. A client in Recife, Brazil, South America, which is located at the most Eastern part of South America, will be
calling you at 8:00 a.m. her time. To receive the call you would need to be at your desk in Tulsa at
l0. Your boss is in Rome, Italy and needs information for an important meeting. She calls you and tells you to get
the information and call her back at 3:00 p.m. Rome time. What time would you make the call from Tulsa?