Docstoc

Miami Auto Injury Attorney

Document Sample
Miami Auto Injury Attorney Powered By Docstoc
					     UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI

      Named Buildings History

          Medical Campus

Including Streets, Plazas, Courtyards,
      Fountains, and Walkways


         Prepared: Fall 2001

         Updated: Fall 2004




                                         1
                                                  Prepared: Fall 2001



                              TABLE OF CONTENTS



Key to Titles                        3

Named Buildings                      4

Buildings Not Yet Dedicated         38

Sources                             48

Index of Buildings                  49

Index of Donors                     51




                                                                    2
                                     KEY TO TITLES



Titles in Bold are the Official Names of the Buildings

Titles in Italic are how the buildings are commonly known

Titles with Asterisks indicate building honoring Trustees




                                                            3
Anne Bates Leach Eye Hospital
(Anne Bates Leach Eye Hospital)
900 NW 17th Street
(195,016 sq. ft)
1.54 acres – Leased: Miami-Dade County

History

The Anne Bates Leach Eye Hospital was dedicated in April of 1973. It was built at a cost of
more than $15 million. The funds came from many sources, including Anne Bates Leach, other
individuals, foundations and agencies.

(For more information, see Bascom Palmer Eye Institute.)

Brief Donor Bio

After receiving a corneal transplant at Bascom Palmer Eye Institute in 1970, Palm Beach
resident Anne Winship Bates Leach expressed her admiration and gratitude for the Institute‟s
services by donating the gift which launched the construction of a dedicated eye hospital for
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute.

Mrs. Leach, whose family had holdings in the Coca-Cola Company, contributed more that $1.5
million to the state-of-the-art facility which bears her name. She was also instrumental in
securing additional support for the hospital from her friends in Palm Beach.

At the April 1973 public dedication of the new hospital - the first eye hospital in the southeastern
U.S. - the University of Miami gratefully awarded Mrs. Leach an honorary degree.




                                                                                                   4
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute*
(Bascom Palmer Eye Institute)
900 NW 17th Street

Background

While Bascom Palmer Eye Institute is not an actual building, it is the umbrella name referring to
the Department of Ophthalmology, the Anne Bates Leach Eye Hospital, and the Evelyn F. and
William L. McKnight Vision Research Center. Originally, the McKnight Building was called
the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, however when the Anne Bates Leach Eye Hospital was built,
all clinical services of the institute moved there, and the McKnight building became dedicated to
research and was renamed for one of the University‟s most generous donors in its history.

Following is a brief history of the evolution of the Institute. Specific building histories can be
found under their individual names. (i.e. Ann Bates Leach Eye Hospital)

History

During the 1920s, at a time when South Florida was literally a new frontier, Dr. Bascom Headon
Palmer was challenging the frontiers of medicine. Working with Dr. Bowman Foster Ashe – the
founding president of the University of Miami – he envisioned:

                  “An ophthalmology institute in a medical center second to none in the
          nation. It will be a clinic where both the indigent and others may be treated. It
          will serve this community as a clearinghouse for research and for reliable and
          dependable information on care of the eyes and conservation of sight.”

Dr. Palmer spent most of his life working to fulfill that dream. He was able to encourage the
Lighthouse for the Blind to provide the land – the site where the Anne Bates Leach Eye Hospital
now stands – and raise more than $200,000 to establish the Institute. In 1952 he helped found
the University of Miami School of Medicine. And, shortly before his death in 1954, he
witnessed the inauguration of the new school‟s first Division of Ophthalmology.

While Dr. Palmer did not live to see his dream completed, his torch was passed to one of equal
vision.

The new director of ophthalmology, Dr. Edward W. D. Norton, convinced Claude Hemphill, a
founder and chairman of the CIT Finance Corporation, to donate the final funds necessary (more
than $200,000) to construct a building.

The long anticipated Eye Institute opened on January 21, 1962, and was named in honor of Dr.
Palmer‟s life‟s work.

The Anne Bates Leach Eye Hospital was added in 1976. (See Anne Bates Leach Eye Hospital)




                                                                                                     5
Brief Donor Bio

Dr. Bascom Palme r* was one of Miami‟s first ophthalmologists in the early 1900s. He was a
founding trustee of the University of Miami, and was a principal force behind the eventual
creation of the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute as well as the University of Miami School of
Medicine itself, which was founded in 1952.

Dr. Bascom Headon Palmer arrived in South Florida in the 1920‟s, at a time when Miami was
still a raw frontier. The streets were unpaved, the homes were mostly hand-built wooden
structures, and the main hospital was a humble cottage. Dr. Palmer was a newly graduated
physician in the young science of ophthalmology – a specialty he had learned during his service
as a medical officer in World War I - yet he had a bold vision:


       “To establish an ophthalmology institute in a medical center second to none in
       the nation. It will be a clinic where both the indigent and others may be treated.
       It will serve this community as a clearinghouse for research and for reliable and
       dependable information on care of the eye sand conservation of sight.”

Dr. Palmer spent most of his life working to fulfill that dream. He opened one of the first
ophthalmology practices at the new Jackson Memorial Hospital, and became the first surgeon in
Florida to perform corneal transplants. He also was an active volunteer for the Lighthouse for
the Blind, and helped pioneer community outreach programs to the poor.

He was able to encourage the Lighthouse for the Blind to provide the land for an eye institute –
the site where the Anne Bates Leach Eye Hospital now stands – and he raised more than
$200,000 to help build it.

Working with Dr. Bowman Foster Ashe – the founding president of the University of Miami –
Dr. Palmer also became a leading figure in the creation of the University‟s School of Medicine.
In 1952, Dr. Palmer was on hand for the new school‟s inauguration, and he witnessed the
founding of the first Division of Ophthalmology in 1954, shortly before his death.

Unfortunately, however, he did not live to see the creation of the Eye Institute he had worked
toward all his life. When the first building was dedicated in January 1962, the new Institute was
named in honor of Dr. Palmer‟s life‟s work.




                                                                                                   6
Batchelor Children’s Research Institute
(Batchelor’s Children’s Center)
1580 NW 10th Avenue
(147,500 sq. ft)
2.88 acres – Leased: Miami-Dade County

History

The Batchelor‟s Children‟s Research Institute is one of the largest centers in the wor ld devoted
exclusively to research in children‟s health. It was completed and dedicated on May 3, 2001,
thanks to a $20 million challenge grant from the Batchelor Foundation and George E. Batchelor
– one of the largest single gifts in the history of this, or any, university.

Augmenting the Batchelor‟s leadership gift was a $5 million contribution from the Harcourt M.
and Virginia W. Sylvester Family Children‟s Cancer and Neonatology Research Center within
the new institute.

The building cost more than $40 million to construct. Each floor of the nine-story building is
dedicated to treatment and research for specific children‟s diseases. It includes the Pediatric
Pulmonary Program, the Sylvester Family Children‟s Cancer and Neonatology Center, the
Neonatology Center, the Neonatology Program, the Critical Care Program, Pediatric Infectious
Diseases and Immunology Program, Maternal Lifestyles, Program Family Education Program,
and Genetics Program.

Brief Donor Bio

George Edward Batchelor is the former chair and president of International Air Leases, Inc.
whose main subsidiary, Arrow Air, is one of Miami‟s largest all-cargo airlines. When he retired
in 1990, he turned the operation over to his son, Jon.

Mr. Batchelor was born in 1920 in Oklahoma. He studied business administration at Compton
College and graduated from the Aeronautical Institute of California. He trained as an
aeronautical engineer and flew for the U.S. Army Air Corps in World War II. He is married to
Marianne Tirri Batchelor, who has contributed personally to AIDS research at UM among many
other causes.

In 1992, Mr. Batchelor received the Wright Brothers Memorial Award from the greater Miami
Aviation Association for his lifelong work in advancing aviation. He is also the recipient of the
Outstanding Philanthropist Award from many organizations.

The Batchelors are also major donors to the Zoological Society of Florida. In fact, the Falcon
Batchelor Komodo Dragon Encounter at Metrozoo was named in me mory of the Batchelor‟s son,
Falcon, who died from cystic fibrosis in 1990 at the age of 35.

Mr. Batchelor often said that his gift to establish this building was his way of saying “Thank
You‟ for the quality of health care his son received at the Medical Campus.



                                                                                                    7
During the 1990s, Mr. Batchelor became known as one of the biggest philanthropists in South
Florida, contributing more than $30 million to local charities in addition to his gifts to the
University of Miami.

Harcourt M. and Virginia W. Sylvester Foundation

The Sylvester Foundation is a leader in the fight against cancer and a longtime supporter of the
University of Miami School of Medicine. The foundation generously supported the creation of
the University‟s Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, which was established in 1994.




                                                                                                   8
The Breyer Patch
(The Breyer Patch)
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute

History

In 1985, Charlotte Breyer Rodgers donated more than $5 million to establish a Professorship in
Ophthalmology and the Charlotte Breyer Rodgers Research Pavilion in the Evelyn F. and
William L. McKnight Vision Research Center.

She also created an endowment fund to establish a flower garden between the hospital and the
research center. The garden is named “The Breyer Patch.”

Brief Donor Bio

Charlotte Breyer Rodgers is an heir to the Breyer‟s Ice Cream Company founders. Mrs.
Rodgers is one of Bascom Palmer Eye Institute‟s most generous supporters, and was recognized
with the Institute‟s distinguished “People of Vision” award.




                                                                                                 9
Diabetes Research Institute
(Diabetes Research Institute)
1450 NW 10th Avenue
(83,000 sq. ft)
5.52 acres – Leased: Miami-Dade County

History

In 1994, the Diabetes Research Institute opened its new facility at the University of
Miami/Jackson Memorial Medical Center. The building was the fulfillment of a dream by Dr.
Daniel H. Mintz, the second chair of the University of Miami School of Medicine and the DRI‟s
Scientific Director for its first 25 years. His vision was to create a comprehensive,
interdisciplinary research and treatment center for diabetes.

This state-of-the-art research center was primarily funded and constructed by the men and
women of the AFL-CIO‟s Building and Construction Trades Department, who began supporting
the DRI in 1984, and have, to date contributed more than $30 million for the DRI.

The AFL-CIO members raise the funds for the DRI in a variety of annual volunteer events by
their members such as “Dollars Against Diabetes” held on the Saturday before Father‟s Day, and
the “Labor of Love Weekend” each February. In the early 1980‟s, Hank Keller, Jr., one of the
DRI‟s board members, had a relationship with the AFL-CIO‟s Building and Construction Trades
Department and began to interest that organization in supporting diabetes research. At that time,
the DRI Foundation‟s bylaws would not allow fundraising dollars to go toward brick and mortar,
so groups of parents of children with diabetes went to the organization‟s headquarters in
Washington, DC to make a plea for a special gift targeted solely for a new building. The
parents‟ group also made presentations at the organization‟s annual conventions here in Florida.
The process began in 1984, and the building was completed 10 years later.

The AFL-CIO Building and Construction Trades members desired no formal recognition for
their contributions; however a plaque was placed in the main lobby. As a result, several other
donors have their names associated with the building. In 1995, Rowland and Silvia Schaefer
contributed $10 million toward diabetes research after discovering that their granddaughter had
Type I diabetes. In recognition of the Schaefer‟s gift, the new building was renamed in their
honor.

In 1988, the Diabetes Treatment Center was named for Eleanor & Joseph Kosow, thanks to a
$3.5 million gift from Mrs. Kosow in honor of her late husband.

In 1999, the executive committee of the University‟s Board of Trustees approved the naming of
the DRI‟s research tower as the “Leon J. Simkins Research Towe r,” in honor of Mr. Simkins
$5 million gift made through his company‟s charitable foundation.

Today, the DRI is a unique place where all families can actually come and see scientists working
towards a cure for diabetes.




                                                                                               10
Brief Donor Bio

The 15 unions of the AFL-CIO Building and Construction Trades have been anonymously
yet vigorously involved in supporting the activities of the Diabetes Research Center since the
early 1980s. They remain active supporters today, holding nationwide fundraising events
throughout the year.

The unions initially became aware of the DRI‟s needs through Hank Keller, Jr., one of the
Institute‟s board members, whose wife, Adrienne died from complications from the disease in
1992. Keller was involved with the unions professionally, and encouraged them to help support
diabetes research.

Rowland & Sylvia Schaefer

The Schaefers became involved with diabetes research when their granddaughter, Dara Michelle,
was diagnosed with Type I diabetes in 1990. The couple had always been active and generous
philanthropists throughout the community, but they have since dedicated most of their
considerable fundraising efforts to diabetes research.

In 1995, the Schaefers donated $10 million to the Diabetes Research Institute, and in return, the
new building was renamed the Rowland & Sylvia Schaefer Building in their honor.

Mr. Schaefer is chairman, president and CEO of Claire‟s Stores, Inc. – an international retailer
on costume jewelry and one of the leading U.S. companies of its kind. He bought the company
in 1972 and grew it from an original 25 stores to now more than 2,000 stores in the U.S., Canada,
Japan, the Caribbean, and the United Kingdom. The company‟s corporate headquarters are
located in Pembroke Pines, Florida.

In 1989, Mr. Schaefer was awarded the Israel Peace Award from the State of Israel Bonds
Organization, and in 1992 he received the National Community Service Award from the Simon
Wiesenthal Center.

Mrs. Schaefer is the #2 executive at Claire‟s Stores, Inc.

Eleanor & Joseph Kosow

Mr. Kosow was a financier and chairman of the board of Industrial Investment Trust. He made
his fortune in nursing homes in the Eastern U.S. He passed away in 1984 after 32 years of
marriage to his wife, Eleanor. In 1988, Mrs. Kosow made a $3.5 million donation in memory of
her husband to establish the Joseph and Eleanor Kosow Diagnostic and Treatment Center for
Diabetes Research.

The Kosows had been involved in philanthropic activities throughout the community since their
retirement in Bal Harbor. In 1983, the couple chaired the “Love and Hope Ball,” which funds
the Diabetes Research Institute. In 1987, Mrs. Kosow was awarded a Humanitarian Award for
her volunteer and philanthropic efforts on behalf of the DRI.



                                                                                                 11
Leon J. Simkins

Leon J. Simkins is president and CEO of Simkins Industries, a company founded by his father in
1901. Sinkins Co. has grown to become a large (19 plant) paperboard packaging and
manufacturing company with headquarters in New Haven, Connecticut. Its average annual sales
in 1994 (last report date) exceeded $210 million. Mr. Simkins also heads Westfield Financial, a
mortgage lending company with headquarters in Miami.

Mr. Simkins has supported several areas at the School of Medicine, however his most significant
support has been to the DRI. He and his former wife, Kathy served as chairs of the Love a nd
Hope Ball for more than 15 years. They became committed to helping eradicate diabetes when
his wife‟s brother died of complications from the disease at the age of 34. The couple was
divorced in 1992.




                                                                                             12
Dorothy H. and Le wis S. Rosenstiel Medical Sciences Building*
(Rosenstiel Medical Sciences Building)
1600 NW 10th Avenue
(389,948 sq. ft)
1.87 acres – Leased: Miami-Dade County

History

In 1968, a gift of $12 million from the estate of Louis Rosenstiel – the largest single gift to the
University until that time – provided the endowments that helped fund the Rosenstiel School of
Marine & Atmospheric Sciences and also completed three additional floors of the Medical
Sciences Building at the Medical Campus in 1972. (The original 5-story building was dedicated
on March 3, 1960 as the first building built specifically by the University for its Medical
Campus. It was funded by federal and county grants.)

Approximately $8.8 million of the Rosenstiel gift went to establish the marine school, while the
balance of $3.2 million was used to match a federal grant of $2.8 million to enable the
completion of the top three floors of an existing building. The original 5-story building was the
first built by the University of its new medical school in 1952 (through a $2 million state grant).

University of Miami President Henry King Stanford announced that, since the gift was the
largest received to date at the University, both the marine school (established in 1943) and the
medical building would be named in honor of the Rosenstiels. The official dedications were held
at the Miami Marine Stadium on Key Biscayne on Sunday, November 9, 1969.

The additions were completed in 1972, however the monies dedicated to the building were in
dispute within the University, and only a small fraction (approximately $500,000) was ever
received by the School of Medicine.

Brief Donor Bio

Louis Rosenstiel had a lifelong interest in marine science and its potential as a source for both
food and medicine.

Born in 1918 in Detroit, Michigan, Mr. Rosenstiel earned his B.A. at Wayne State University, a
J.D. from the University of Michigan, and an LL.M. in taxation from New York University. He
was a partner Of Counsel with the law firm of Rosenman & Colin until 1991, when he semi-
retired to practice international corporate law and literary property law.

As the founder and chairman of Schenley Industries (liquor manufacturing company) at the s tart
of World War II, Mr. Rosenstiel anticipated the nation‟s vital need for industrial alcohol and
penicillin for the sick and wounded. He also inaugurated the laboratory research that would lead
to the ability to mass-produce penicillin.

He established the Rosenstiel Foundation in 1950 to support the arts, civic affairs and health
care. Over the years, his philanthropic generosity earned him many awards. He was also



                                                                                                    13
renowned as a humanitarian, and was awarded a Gold Medal from the George Washington
Carver Memorial foundation for his policy of equal opportunity to all employees of his major
corporation.

Lady Blanka Rosenstiel, Louis‟ third wife, became head of his foundation after his death, and
served as a University of Miami Trustee from 1977-1982. Originally from Poland, Mrs.
Rosenstiel and her family were sent to Auschwitz during World War II but survived to be
liberated by the Allies in 1945. She came to the U.S. in the early 1950s and married Louis
Rosenstiel in 1963 – she was 32, he was 72.

Lenore Rosenstiel Annenberg was Rosenstiel‟s second wife. The couple was divorced not long
after their marriage, and Lenore married Walter Annenberg.

Elizabeth Rosenstiel Kabler, Rosenstiel‟s daughter by his second wife, Lenore, was also on the
foundation board. She graduated from Bennett College and attended New York University. She
is a founder of the National Downs Syndrome Society (1979). She has maintained only a
minimal relationship with the University.




                                                                                                14
Dr. Bernard J. Fogel Boulevard
NW 16th Street

History

The main street of the University of Miami‟s Medial Campus (NW 16 th Street) was named in
honor of Dean Emeritus Dr. Bernard J. Fogel. His 15 years of leadership of the University of
Miami School of Medicine became an American collegiate legend, making him one of the
nation‟s senior deans among the top 125 academic medical centers.

During his tenure, the School‟s budget tripled to more than $450 million, fundraising doubled,
research funding quadrupled to more than $100 million annually, the number of faculty nearly
doubled, and facilities grew by more than 300,000 square feet. He hired 19 o f the School‟s 23
chairs, and guided the reorganization of the School‟s clinical practice – the University of Miami
Medical Group.

Dr. Fogel stepped down as dean in November, 1995, but continued to retain an active role in the
philanthropic and administrative leadership of the School of Medicine.

Brief Donor Bio

Born in the Bronx, New York, in 1936, Dr. Bernard J. Fogel moved to Miami with his family
when he was eight years old. His father and uncle founded and ran Dortch‟s Bakery, which grew
to have several locations throughout Miami- Dade and Broward Counties. Dr. Fogel worked in
the bakery through high school, and each day took the leftovers to Variety (now Miami
Children‟s) Hospital.

He attended the University of Miami and earned his B.A. in 1957 and his M.D. from the School
of Medicine in 1961. He completed his residency at Jackson Memorial Hospital. After spending
two years as a researcher at Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Dr. Fogel returned to the
University in 1966 to serve as assistant professor of pediatrics. He was also co-director of the
neonatal nursery and director of the Birth Defect Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital. During
this time, he was a prime investigator of the immunologic function of an infant with DiGeorge‟s
syndrome, which led to the first fetal thymic transplant ever successfully performed.

In 1968, Dr. Fogel was appointed associate dean for curricular affairs, and from 1970-73 was
responsible for associate deanships in medical education, admissions, and research
administration. From 1974-1981 he was assistant vice president for medical affairs. In 1981 he
became vice president for medical affairs and dean of the School of Medicine. In 1991, he was
named senior vice president for medical affairs.

As Dean Emeritus, Dr. Fogel is a senior advisor to the president, and assists the current dean, Dr.
John Clarkson, with government and donor relations.

Dr. Fogel‟s activities extended out into the community as well, and he has received a number of
distinguished awards for his contributions to health care and medical education. He was a



                                                                                                 15
member of the Citizen‟s Advisory Board to the Dade County Commissioners Regarding the
Performance of the Public Health Trust, and the Governor‟s Health Care Task Force and
Community Hospital Education Council, among more than a dozen others. He served on the
boards of community service organizations such as We Will Rebuild (community assistance
group formed following Hurricane Andrew in 1992), and the United Way. He is also the author
of more than 60 articles and a member of many professional organizations and societies.




                                                                                          16
Dr. Charles Mutter Building
(Mutter Building)
1440 NW 14th Avenue
(2,835 sq. ft)
Land UM Owned

History

The University owns this building, but leases it out to the Blood Center of South Florida.

The one-story office building and its land were donated to the University Of Miami School Of
Medicine in 1997 by Dr. Charles B. and Mrs. Elaine F. Mutter through a gift annuity. Gift value
at the time was $300,000.

The University named the building for Dr. Mutter in recognition of his generosity.

Brief Donor Bio

Dr. Charles B. (Chuck) Mutte r is a University of Miami alumnus. He graduated from the
College of Arts and Sciences in 1954 with a B.S. degree, and from the School of Medicine in
1952, specializing in psychiatry.

Dr. Mutter was a scholarship recipient, and was always grateful to the University for providing
his education. In 1967, he in turn established a scholarship fund for needy students, named after
his aunt and uncle, Jack and Reva Galper.




                                                                                               17
Dr. Louis Fox Cance r Research Building
(Fox Cancer Center)
1550 NW 10th Street
(33,548 sq. ft)
1.10 acres – UM Owned

History

This building is the historic original home of the Howard Hughes Institute – the world‟s largest
research foundation. It was originally constructed in 1958 and owned by Dewitt Daughtry. He
later sold it to the Howard Hughes Institute, which provided substantial support (financial and
research) to the University of Miami School of Medicine.

Through a charitable remainder unitrust established in 1985, Dr. Louis Fox gave the University
of Miami more than $3.7 million as a leading gift to create a $5 million, 40,000 square- foot
building dedicated to cancer research, as part of the then newly established Papanicolaou
Comprehensive Cancer Center (now known as the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center).

Rather than build “from scratch,” the Howard Hughes Institute building – which had recently
been purchased by the University* after the Hughes Institute moved its headquarters to
Washington DC – was renovated to created this new facility. The University also provided $1
million to build a new 10,000 square foot annex. The building was competed and dedicated in
the fall of 1989.

*Prior to the Fox gift, the building was known as the Medical Arts Building.

Brief Donor Bio

Dr. Louis Fox, M.D., F.A.C.S., was born in 1897 and graduated from New York University
Medical School in 1919. A practicing physician and surgeon, Dr. Fox became the Associate
Physician for the New York Stock Exchange and Medical Director of the American Stock
Exchange. These relationships later led Dr. Fox to become a physician for some of the leading
firms on Wall Street, including J.P. Morgan, Smith Barney, and Dean Witter & Co. Dr. Fox was
also instrumental in organizing the medical departments in every large business on Wall Street,
including Exxon, Allied Chemical, and U.S. Steel.

Dr. Fox carried out four years of research at Cornell Medical Center regarding a new theory he
had developed for a cure for cancer. In his later life however, his health began to be affected by
the harsh cold winters and he moved to South Florida.

His first association with the University of Miami came through his volunteer service with the
group Friends for Life of the School of Medicine. He later enjoined the University to allow him
to continue his groundbreaking cancer research here and became a clinical professor of
oncology. Even at the age of 89, Dr. Fox was actively involved at least one day a week
performing cancer research, and his generous gift made possible the building that now bears his
name in respect and tribute to a true medical pioneer.



                                                                                                 18
Evelyn F. and William L. McKnight Vision Research Cente r*
(McKnight Vision Research Center)
1638 NW 10 Avenue
(59,581 sq. ft)
18 acres – UM Owned

History

During his lifetime, William L. McKnight contributed nearly $12 million to the University of
Miami, largely unrestricted, and given anonymously, making him one of the top five individual
donors in the University‟s history. He was named an Honorary Trustee of the University.

After he passed away in 1978, his widow, Evelyn, created a $2 million charitable remainder
annuity trust to establish the William L. McKnight Vision Research Center at the Bascom
Palmer Eye Institute.

After Evelyn passed away on October 2, 1999, the Board of Trustees passed a resolution on
November 16, 1999, naming two buildings in honor of the McKnights‟ generosity. The former
Ponce Building* on the Coral Gables Campus was renamed the Evelyn F. and William L.
McKnight Advancement Building, while the Evelyn F. and William L. McKnight Vision
Research Building* was dedicated on the Medical Center Campus. An additional $1 million
bequest from Mrs. McKnight‟s estate went to the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute.

Although this building and its land parcel are owned by the University of Miami, they are
located on the JMH tract.

*Both buildings had previously been named for William L. McKnight alone. The Medical
Campus building, although officially renamed by the Board of Trustees, retains its designation as
the William L. McKnight Vision Research Building.

Brief Donor Bios

William L. McKnight* was the Chairman of the Board of the 3M Company, and a leading
philanthropist in the South Florida community, perhaps one of the most generous men of his
time.

He was born in 1887 on a pioneer homestead settled by his parents in White, South Dakota.
After graduating from high school in 1907, he took on a job as an assistant bookkeeper with a
nearly bankrupt sandpaper manufacturing company in St. Paul, Minnesota. He moved up the
ladder quickly, and by 1915 he was a director of the company. The next year, he moved the
focus of the company toward research and spent $500 to create a new labora tory.

In 1929, McKnight became president, then Chairman in 1949, and his Minnesota Mining &
Manufacturing company became the 3M Company, responsible for some of the most successful
innovations of the 20th century: Scotch tape, masking tape, magnetic recording tape, “Post It
Notes,” and much more. In 1994, sales exceeded $15 billion.



                                                                                                19
In retirement, Mr. McKnight bought several Broadway theaters and financed several successful
musicals, including How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. He was interested in
horse racing, and was the chairman of the board of Calder Race Track, the single largest
stockholder in Hialeah Race Track, and owner of the Tropical Park franchise, which he sold to
Miami- Dade County in the 1990s for more than $9 million.

Evelyn Mae Franks McKnight met her husband while he was a patient at Miami Heart
Institute. They were married in 1974. He was 86 and she was 61. After William passed away,
Mrs. McKnight continued the generous giving tradition established by her husband. She was a
member of the Bascom Palmer Society and the George E. Merrick Society (both recognizing
million dollar contributors).

Evelyn was born in Connellsville, Pennsylvania on November 10, 1914, and resided in the
Miami area since 1946. A Registered Nurse by profession, she worked in the Pentagon as a
Captain in the U.S. Air Force during the Korean War, and she also was employed in the U.S.
Congress. When she retired from the Air Force, she worked in the personnel section of
TransWorld Airlines (TWA) prior to joining the Miami Veterans Administration Medical Center.
She retired in 1965. She was a member of the La Gorce Country Club and the Surf Club, where
her husband was a founding member and Chair of the Boards of Trustees.




                                                                                            20
Halissee Hall
(Sewell Building)
1475 NW 12th Avenue
(9,429 sq. ft)
3.17 acres – UM Owned

History

Halissee Hall is one of the most important structures in the history of Miami – both
historically and architecturally. It was built in 1914 as the home of John Sewell, known as the
“Daddy of Miami.” Sewell was the man responsible for the planning and construction of Henry
Flagler‟s railroad in South Florida, and he and his brother were among the most influential
citizens in the early days of the City of Miami. In fact, a Miami Herald survey of local experts
on the occasion of the County‟s 150th anniversary listed the Sewells among the top 50 most
influential people ever in the City‟s history.

John Sewell and his younger brother E.G. (“Ev”) arrived in Miami in 1896. Together, the Sewell
brothers owned and operated Miami‟s first retail store. Ev became Miami‟s third mayor during
the University of Miami‟s and the City‟s formative years (1927-29, 1933-35, and 1939-40), and
launched Miami‟s first national publicity campaign – a tradition he continued for more than 30
years. Ev also became one of the most photographed persons in the city‟s history, and his
accomplishments in developing the city are legendary, including: Bayfront Park, Port of Miami,
Dinner Key Naval Air Station, and the forerunner of the Orange Bowl, just to name a few.

John Sewell owned 14 acres on the site where the Jackson Memorial Medical Center/University
of Miami Medical Campus now stands. A construction engineer and Flagler‟s labor
superintendent, Sewell built his home himself, from oolite (aka: Miami limestone/coral
rock/keystone). The stately structure was Miami‟s largest home and the first one ever to be built
from the local stone (Sewell was also responsible for paving Miami‟s dirt roads with this stone,
as well as construction of most of the county and city buildings from oolite, changing Miami
forever from a pioneer town to a real city. Architect Denman Fink – also associated with the
early University – was inspired by Sewell to use the local coral rock to build his historic
Venetian Pool).

Halissee Hall was nicknamed “Sewell‟s Castle,” by local residents of the time. The mansion‟s
walls were 18 inches thick, it was three stories tall with a graceful six-columned portico on the
front entrance, and had several beautiful dormer-style windows on the upper story. There was
also a third floor balcony allowing for spectacular views of the Biscayne Bay. In fact, Swell
stood here and waved a flag when the first airplane of Pan American Airways made its first flight
over Miami, and specifically over his home.

Sewell placed a plaque on his home which read:

                            Halissee Hall, erected by John Sewell.
                   Construction began on July 20, 1913, on his 45th birthday.
                      Halissee – Seminole Indian name for “new moon.”



                                                                                               21
Following the devastating hurricane of September 17, 1926 and the resulting “bust” in the
Florida economy, followed by the Depression, both John and Ev went bankrupt. Their store was
completely destroyed in the hurricane and they also lost more than $100,000 of merchandise.
They also lost all their cash shortly afterwards when the Bank of Bay Biscayne failed. In 1930,
John was forced to put his beloved Halissee Hall up for sale. The University acquired it and
three surrounding acres in 1932.

He died in 1939. When Ev died a year later, in 1940, the entire city was shut down in tribute.

Another of John Sewell‟s lasting legacies is his book, Memoirs and History of Miami, which was
republished in the 1980‟s with additional material and photos from renowned Miami historian
Arva Moore Parks, titled Miami Memoirs.

On Wednesday, March 12, 1997, Halissee Hall was formally rededicated by the University of
Miami Medical Faculty Association, which had launched a massive fundraising drive to restore
Halissee Hall to its original state.

Currently referred to as the Sewell Building, Halissee Hall is in a sad state of existence, and is
being used for administrative offices for the School of Medicine. However, according to the
current Master Plan for the University of Miami School of Medicine, “Framework for
Development,” the building is slated to be renovated and relocated slightly to become an
entrance for the University of Miami Hospital and Clinics.

It hoped that this building, like the ”Alamo,” will forever hold a distinguished place on the
University‟s campus.




                                                                                                     22
Joseph Applebaum MRI Center
(MRI Center)
1450 NW 10th Avenue
(9,881 sq. ft)
.47 acres – Leased: Miami-Dade County

History

It has been said by many that Joe Applebaum nearly single-handedly saved the University‟s
comprehensive cancer center in the mid-1980s. Records show that the University‟s School of
Medicine in this period had no funds with which to match federal grants, and so were in danger
of losing them. Dr. Bernard Fogel, who was dean of the School at the time, remembers that
“We needed a „carrot‟ to encourage other investors, and Joe Applebaum came forward with a
check for $100,000. That immediately encouraged a second $100,000 gift the next day from an
anonymous donor, and those funds were able to be used as leverage to help the University
maintain its grants and acquire much-needed new ones.”

After Joe‟s death in 1985, his wife Leila continued his tradition of giving, and to this day
annually contributes between $1 and $2 million to the School o f Medicine. Both the
Applebaums preferred to remain anonymous, however Leila felt that she would like some kind
of memorial to her husband‟s generosity as a way to remind her children and others of the
generosity of her husband and their tradition of philanthropy. The school suggested naming the
new MRI Center and the Comprehensive Cancer Institute for Joseph Applebaum, and Leila
agreed. She also donated an additional $2 million - $1 million for the MRI Center and the other
$1 million for cancer research.

Brief Donor Bio

Joseph Applebaum‟s relationship with the UM began when he became a patient of Dr. Martin
Kaiser in 1965. In a letter to Dean Bernard Fogel he wrote, “For many years I have had a
medical problem (severe esophageal reflux) that physicians at renowned institutions were not
able to diagnose. Dr. Kaiser, in a very short time, was able to solve my problem.”

During his lifetime, Mr. Applebaum contributed nearly $1.2 million to the University, his wife
Leila gave an additional $1.3 million, and the Applebaum Foundation more than $10.3 million.
Mr. Applebaum died in 1985. He was president of the Allen Company, a stock brokerage firm
with offices in New York City and Miami Beach.

The Applebaum Foundation was founded in New York City in 1949 and support higher
education, medical research and Jewish organizations. In 1981, the foundation relocated to
Florida.




                                                                                               23
Kathleen & Stanly Glasser Medical Research Building
(Glasser Building)
1600 NW 10th Avenue (part of the Rosenstiel Building)
(389,948 sq. ft)
1.87 acres – Leased: Miami-Dade County

History

Built in 1969 through a federal grant as an addition to the Rosenstiel Building. It was named for
Kathleen and Stanley Glasser, whose total giving to the School of Medicine amounted to more
than $10 million, and included three endowed chairs.

For more information, see Rosenstiel Medical Sciences Building.

Brief Donor Bio

Stanley Glasser was a strong supporter of the School of Medicine, particularly the Bascom
Palmer Eye Institute. He became the Institute‟s first chairman of the board.




                                                                                               24
Lois Pope Life Center
(Miami Project to Cure Paralysis)
1095 NW 4th Terrace (Buoniconti Drive)
(118,040 sq. ft)
Leased land: Miami- Dade County


History

In 1997, Lois B. Pope, her Lois B. Pope Foundation and her LIFE (Leaders in Furthering
Education) Foundation committed $10.4 million to establish the $37- million, seven-story Lois
Pope Life Center at the University of Miami Medical Campus, as well as to fund 20 LIFE
fellowships in neurological research. Mrs. Pope‟s gift was the largest private gift ever
(worldwide) for spinal cord research. Her gift was matched by the State of Florida in 1998, and
joined by a gift of $5 million from the Buoniconti Fund. As a result, the street in front of the Life
Center was named Buoniconti Drive.

Groundbreaking ceremonies were held on October 1, 1999, and the completed building was
dedicated on October 26, 2000 on the 15th anniversary of the day on which Mark Buoniconti
suffered an injury in a college football game that left him paralyzed from the neck down – and
initiated his father‟s founding of The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis. The dedication event
included pro football great Nick Buoniconti and his son, Marc. Also present were: actor
Christopher Reeve, who became a quadriplegic after a fall from a horse; international
singer/songwriter Gloria Estefan, who was nearly paralyzed after a bus accident; broadcast
journalist Tom Brokaw, U.S. Army General (ret.) Norman Schwartzkopt, who has helped raise
more than $3 million for the project; UM School of Medicine Dean Dr. Bernard Fogel; and
neurosurgeon Dr. Barth Green, founder of The Miami Project.

The state-of-the-art facility is the most advanced research facility in the world for spinal cord
injuries, neurological diseases and disorders. It housed The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis, as
well as more than 125 specialized faculty from the departments of neurology and neurological
surgery. Five floors house more than 20 labs, while the top floor houses a conference center and
state-of-the-art teleconference centers.

It has an unequaled combination of human and technological resources, in a unique environment
that is capable of translating basic scientific advances into clinical treatments with unprecedented
speed and efficiency.


Brief Donor Bio

Lois B. Pope is an extraordinary philanthropist with diverse human interests.

The daughter of a Philadelphia businessman who ran an auto supply company, Mrs. Pope grew
up in a cultured, music loving family, and studied music at Hunter College in New York. She



                                                                                                   25
performed on Broadway and in operettas with a national touring company. A Ford model, she
also performed in several television commercials.

In 1959, she married theatrical agent George Wood and had two daughters. Sadly however, her
husband died just four years after their marriage. A year later, she married Generoso Paul
“Gene” Pope, Jr. the publisher of the National Enquirer, and had two more children. Mrs. Pope
became the Enquirer‟s art director and financial manager. One of her more memorable
contributions was the suggestion to put a Christmas tree outside the Enquirer‟s headquarters in
Lantana, Florida, which evolved into the annual “World‟s Largest Decorated Christmas Tree.”

When Gene Pope died in 1988, the Enquirer was sold, and Mrs. Pope formed the Lois B. Pope
Foundation with her $412 million of the proceeds.

She became interested in spinal cord injury research through her friendship with actor
Christopher Reeve, whom she knew prior to his accident. The death o f her mother due to a
stroke also increased her interest in neurological research.

Mrs. Pope‟s philanthropy is extraordinarily generous and international in scope, from funding a
community theater in her hometown to helping victims of major hurricane in Guatemala, from
sending inner city kids in New York and Florida to summer camp, to her LIFE Foundation for
education. She has received countless honors and recognition, including the Ellis Island Medal
of Honor for exceptional humanitarian efforts.

Mrs. Pope is also an avid runner, and has participated in several New York City marathons.


The Miami Project

The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis was founded in 1985 by Dr. Barth Green, UM‟s chair of
neurological surgery, and the family of Miami Dolphin footba ll legend Nick Buoniconti. The
collaboration began after Nick‟s son, Marc, was paralyzed from the neck down following a
spinal cord injury he received while playing as a linebacker in a college football game for The
Citadel. Marc is a UM alumnus.

In 1985, after his son‟s injury, Nick called Jack Schneider, a family friend and managing director
of Allen & Co., a stock brokerage house. Nick asked Jack if he would help him raise money for
spinal cord research, through a Great Sports Legends Dinner. Jack “called his friends from Wall
Street,” and Nick brought the sports stars, and the inaugural event raised more than $1 million –
and was the beginning of The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis.

The son of “an Italian baker,” Nick Buoniconti is a former Miami Dolphins football player – the
captain of the legendary “No-Name Defense” that captured Super Bowl titles in 1972 and 1973.
His 14- year pro- football career also included five AFL All-Star Games and two Pro-Bowls. In
2001, he was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. He was the eighth
Miami Dolphin player to be enshrined there.




                                                                                                26
When his son was paralyzed, Nick made a promise to do anything and everything he could to
help Marc walk again. At his induction into the Football Hall of Fame, he shared the stage with
his son, and reaffirmed his vow.




                                                                                              27
Louis Calder Memorial Library
(Calder Medical Library)
1601 NW 10th Avenue
(54,367 sq. ft)
1.26 acres – Leased: Miami-Dade County

History

The Louis Calder Memorial Library was completed and dedicated on March 19, 1972. A three-
story building with more than 54,000 square feet of floor space, and a capacity for 125,000
volumes, it was the culmination of a 20-year dream.

Funding came from matching grants of $1.5 million from the Louis Calder Foundation of New
York City, and $1.1 million from the Public Health Service, Department of Health, Education
and Welfare under the Health Professions Manpower Act of 1965. This complex grant was
submitted in 1968, and approval was granted in 1970.

The building was called the “most beautiful medical library of its time,” and was created by
Steward/Skinner Associates jointly with Little, Lair, Pilkington Associates.

Prior to the creation of this building, half the University‟s medical library had been ho used in a
converted, quarter-century-old servants‟ dormitory adjacent to the historic Biltmore Hotel in
Coral Gables, while the other half of the library‟s holdings were housed in the Woodard Building
at Jackson Memorial Hospital.

Brief Donor Bio

Louis Calder, Sr. established the Louis Calder Foundation in 1951, which primarily supports
New York City charities which “promote health, education and welfare.” Mr. Calder Sr. died in
1963.

His life was a Horatio Alger story. He was born in 1879 and rose from a newspaper delivery boy
to the presidency of the Goodwin Company – an international marketing organization. He
owned and had interests in pulp and paper mills throughout the U.S. and Canada.

Louis Calder, Jr. was the son of Mr. Calder and became a trustee of the Calder Foundation. He
served as a bomber pilot in World War II, and later became head of the Calder Foundation. He
was instrumental in granting the funds from the foundation for the creation of the Louis Calder
Memorial Library honoring his father. He died in 1965, leaving behind three children. His son,
Peter Calde r, also became a trustee of the foundation.

On October 13, 1966, the Louis Calder Foundation sent a letter to UM formally announcing
their pledge to establish the Louis Calder Memorial Library at the School of Medicine. The files
indicate no previous contact between the foundation and the University.




                                                                                                28
Mailman Center for Child Development and Debbie Institute*
(Mailman Center)
1601 NW 12th Avenue
(103,000 sq. ft)
2.88 acres – Leased: Miami-Dade County

History

A gift of $1.5 million from Abraham Mailman and his brother Joseph, as well as the A.L.
Mailman Family Foundation and the Mailman Foundation made possible the construction of the
Mailman Center for Child Development at the Medical Campus, completed in 1971. Matching
funds of just over $3 million were provided by the federal government through a U.S. Public
Health Service Grant, and the University raised $2.5 million in a special fundraising campaign.
There was also an additional grant of $500,000 from the Joseph P. Kennedy Jr. Foundation. The
Mailman family also established a $1 million endowment for the maintenance of the building.

The building cost a total of $8 million to construct, and is a nine-story facility. A covered
walkway at the second level connects it to the two-story Debbie Institute, which helps children
with mental and developmental disabilities.

The Mailman Center was the first facility of its kind in Florida and one of only 19 in the nation at
that time. It serves as a focal point for problems of child and human development through a
multidisciplinary approach: medical, biological, sociological, behavioral and educational. Its
objectives are threefold: to train graduate students to work in the field of child development; to
diagnose, treat and rehabilitate children with brain damage and allied disorder; and to conduct
basic and clinical research into problems of children.

The Mailmans made their contribution to the Center as a tribute to Abraham‟s granddaughter,
Debbie Segal, who has cerebral palsy, and the Debbie Institute is named for her.

The outpatient clinic of the Mailman Center is dedicated in memory of the late U.S. President
John F. Kennedy, and the seventh floor laboratories were named in memory of Joseph P.
Kennedy, Jr., a World War II hero.

Brief Donor Bio

Joseph Mailman was an investor, philanthropist and long-time Palm Beach winter resident until
his death in 1990.

Born in Utica, New York, he attended Syracuse University then formed the Pal Blade Company
and, later, the Mailman Corporation, with his brother, Abraham, which became one of the
earliest conglomerates in North America.

The brothers went on to acquire substantial interests in several American and Canadian
companies, including Air Express International, a company with an annual revenue of $275
million and more than 2,400 employees in 1982 when he sold it.



                                                                                                  29
The Mailman family‟s total giving to the University amounted to nearly $6 million from 1960-
1985.

Marilyn Mailman Segal* is the daughter of Abraham Mailman. Her daughter, Debbie, was born
mentally challenged, which inspired the family‟s interest in the treatment of pediatric disabilities.
Marilyn is a noted author of more than a dozen books on child development and parenting. She
is an expert in early childhood education whose lifelong mission has been to help children. As a
child growing up in New York, she raised money for English war orphans and organized a day
camp for children. She founded Broward County‟s first Head Start program and its first pre-
school for children with physical disabilities. She has been a University of Miami trustee since
1969.

Joseph P. Kennedy Jr. Foundation

U.S. Senator Edward (“Ted”) Kennedy and his sister Eunice Shriver visited the University of
Miami School of Medicine in 1967 and contributed $500,000 from their father‟s foundation to
help the Mailman Center with its services for mentally challenged individuals. The Joseph P.
Kennedy Jr. Foundation was set up in memory of Joseph‟s oldest son who was killed in WWII,
to promote work “in studying the causes of mental retardation,” and the University of Miami was
recognized at the time as a leader in studies in that area. Senator Kennedy‟s sister, Rosemary,
was also mentally challenged and spent most of her life in an institution.




                                                                                                  30
Papanicolaou Cancer Research Institute
(Papanicolaou Cancer Research Institute)
1550 NW 10th Avenue
(47,696 sq. ft)
1.10 acres – UM Owned

History

The original building for the Papanicolaou Cancer Research Institute no longer exists. It was
built in the 1940s and named for Dr. George Nicholas Papanicolaou in 1962. It was torn down in
the mid-1980s and replaced with the current Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center; however
one floor of this new building was dedicated as the Papanicolaou Cancer Research Institute to
preserve his memory and the contributions of the institute.

NOTE: For more detailed history, see Sylvester Comprehensive Cance r Cente r.

Brief Donor Bio

Dr. George Nicholas Papanicolaou, Ph.D., M.D.

Dr. George Nicholas Papanicolaou, 1883-1962, was a Greek immigrant who became one of the
most renowned cancer researchers of all time. He was responsible for inventing the “Pap” test
for cervical cancer in women.

Dr. Papanicolaou came to the University of Miami‟s comprehensive cancer center in 1961 to
continue his groundbreaking work; however, he died just a year later on February 18, 1962 of
heart failure. On May 13, 1962, the Papanicolaou Cancer Research Institute was dedicated in his
honor.

NOTE: For more detailed history, see Sylvester Comprehensive Cance r Cente r.




                                                                                             31
R. Bunn Gautier Building
(Gautier Medical Research Building)
1011 NW 15th Street
(70,000 sq. ft)
5.52 acres – Leased: Miami-Dade County

History

The R. Bunn Gautier Building was dedicated on Wednesday, February 13, 1991, and named for
the “Father of the University of Miami School of Medicine.” United States Representatives
Dante Fascell and William Lehman were on hand to present their remarks. Other speakers
included University of Miami President Edward T. Foote II, School of Medicine Dean Bernard J.
Fogel, School of Medicine Dean Emeritus E. Emanuel Paper, Chairman Emeritus of the UM
Board of Trustees James Clamored, Public Health Trust President Ira Clark, and Chairman of the
UM Board of Trustees R. Ray Goode.

The new 75,000 square foot building was constructed to house the School of Medicine‟s
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, with space for laboratories and research. It
was dedicated toward research and graduate education.

Major financial support for the $12.5 million building was provided by the medical school‟s
clinical faculty, who wanted to show their appreciation for Senator Gautier‟s lifelong
contributions to the School of Medicine. They initiated a self-tax on the income from their
practice plan. The Lucille P. Markey Charitable Trust also provided $6.3 million for the
construction.

This building was part of a “building boom” at the Medical Campus during the early „90s which
included the dedication of the adjacent Papanicolaou Cancer Research Institute building, the
construction of the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, and the Diabetes Research Institute
– all part of the five-year, $500 million Campaign for the University of Miami, the third largest
educational fundraising drive in U.S. history.

Brief Donor Bio

Redmond Bunn Gautier, Jr. * was an attorney, Florida State Representative and Florida State
Senator who sponsored the legislation in 1951 that made possible the first medical school in the
state, earning him the title of “Father of the University of Miami School of Medicine.” He
passed away in February 1989, due to lung cancer, at the age of 79. President Foote said of him,
at his memorial service, “His contributions to the community and the University were
monumental. He was the conscience of this University.”

Gautier chaired the major gifts committee of the Office of the Chairman in the Campa ign for the
University, and helped raise $517.5 million of the target $400 million just a month prior to his
death. He served as a member of the Board of Trustees from 1962 forward, and served on
virtually all its committees. He was vice chair from 1970 – 71, chair of the executive committee




                                                                                               32
from 1971-1973, and chair from 1973-76. He continued to serve as a member, and in 1987 was
again elected vice chair.

A native Miamian, and a resident of Key Biscayne, he was Dade County‟s sole Senator during
the late 1940s and early 1950s. Among his many accomplishments was his leadership in paving
the way for approval of Dade‟s Home Rule Charter, which freed local officials from the state
legislature‟s control. He also introduced a home rule constitutional amendment in 1951 and gave
local officials the power to make changes themselves. This work e arned him recognition as the
“Father of Metro-Dade government.”

Senator Gautier was chief proponent for S tate Turnpike and Everglades National Park.

He served as a Lieutenant in the Navy during WWII, and earned a long list of honors for his
extensive service to the South Florida Community.

Lucille P. Markey Charitable Trust

The Lucille P. Markey Charitable Trust was established in 1982 upon the death of Lucille P.
Markey, a resident of Miami Beach, Florida. Her will provided that all distributions from the
trust (in excess of $40 million annually) be made for the purposes of supporting basic medical
research, as well as the stipulation that all the money be given away within 15 years‟ time. The
foundation was headquartered in Miami. Its total contributions to the University eventually
exceeded $8.5 million.

Lucille P. Markey was the owner of Kentucky‟s famed Calumet Farm racing stables. She was
married to Warren Wright, who founded and developed the Farm – one of America‟s most
successful and celebrated breeding and racing stables, with a record of eight Kentucky Derby
winners. When Mr. Wright died in 1950, Lucille took over the management and continued his
tradition. She married Admiral Gene Markey in 1952.




                                                                                               33
Raffington Building
(Raffington Building)
2201 NW 3rd Court
(7,500 sq. ft)
Land UM owned

History

Thomas Raffington left a sum* of money to the former Papanicolaou Cancer Research Institute,
which used the funds to build a new building for cancer research in 1971. It was named in Mr.
Raffigton‟s honor and a plaque hangs in the lobby.

The University took over the Papanicolaou Institute in 1985, and shortly thereafter received a
donation to create the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center, which absorbed the
Papanicolaou Institute; however one floor of the new Center retains the name.

This off- campus building is currently vacant.

*unknown amount – no files available

Brief Donor Bio

No information available.




                                                                                                 34
Schoninger Research Quadrangle
(Schoninger Research Quadrangle)
Between the Lois Pope Life Center & the Batchelor Children‟s Research Institute

History

In February 2001, Bernard and Alexandria Schoninger gave the University of Miami a $5
million gift to support biomedical research at the School of Medicine. This was the largest gift
for biomedical research in the University‟s history. The gift also provides for the creation of the
Schoninger Pain Center at the University of Miami Hospital and Clinics.

In recognition of the Schoninger‟s generosity, the University named The Schoninger Research
Quadrangle, a newly created park with paved walkways and a stunning central fountain as well
as shaded seating areas. It is located at the nexus of the Lois Pope Life Center (which houses
neuroscience research and The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis), the Batchelor Children‟s
Research Institute, the Rowland and Sylvia Schaefer Building of the Diabetes Research Institute,
the R. Bunn Gautier Biochemistry Building, and the Papanicolaou Cancer Research Building. It
is destined to become one of the University‟s most prominent landmarks.

Brief Donor Bio

Bernard and Alexandria Schoninger are longtime residents of Bal Harbour, Florida. Mr.
Schoninger has supported the University of Miami for many years, and is an ardent Miami
Hurricanes fan. He is also president of the Bernard Schoninger Foundation, Inc. He was a
member of both the prestigious Miami Club and the Standard Club of Greater Miami, and is a
member of all South Florida thoroughbred horse racing associations. His national commitments
include membership in the New York Friars Club, and service as a trustee of the International
Council of Shopping Centers.




                                                                                                 35
Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center*
(Sylvester Cancer Center)
1475 NW 12th Avenue
(117,145 sq. ft)
1.44 acres – Leased: Miami-Dade County

History

In October 1986, the Harcourt M. and Virginia W. Sylvester Foundation, Inc. committed $27.5
million to the University of Miami to establish the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center –
which has since become one of the nation‟s leading institutions in cancer research and treatment.

Of the total original gift, $12.5 million went toward building the clinic, $10 million went toward
an endowment, and $5 million went toward research and faculty support. In March 1988, the
foundation committed an additional $5 million to provide cancer screening and clinical care
services.

The groundbreaking for the building was held on May 17, 1989. Its striking and open design
was created by Payette Associates of Boston, Massachusetts to become the impetus and
inspiration for “environmental design” for the entire campus. The facilities include a new
radiation therapy center, day hospital, ambulatory surgical program, medical and surgical clinics,
pharmacy, dental clinic, radiology laboratory, social work services, cancer information service,
and faculty offices. Miami Herald architecture critic Beth Dunlop wrote that the building‟s
architecture “draws on the diverse traditions of Miami‟s past, but more important, this outpatient
facility will provide cancer patients and those who work with them, an environment that will be
beautiful to look at and uplifting to be in.”

Since 1973, the University of Miami has been one of only 20 federally designated
Comprehensive Cancer Centers in the U.S. The center was originally named for Dr. George
Papanicolaou, who invented the “Pap” test for cervical cancer in women. Dr. Papanicolaou‟s
name remains attached to the research foundation, and one floor of the building also bears his
name.

Brief Donor Bio

Harcourt M. Sylvester, Jr. * is the president of the Harcourt M. and Virginia W. Sylvester
Foundation, Inc. His two daughters – Jayne Sylvester Malfitano and Laura Sylvester Cameron –
serve as directors of the foundation. He was elected as a University of Miami Trustee in 1989.

Mr. Sylvester is a graduate of the University of Rochester and the founder and former owner of
Fasco Industries. He moved both his family and his company headquarters to Boca Raton in
1974, then sold the company to a British firm (Hawker-Siddeley Group Ltd.) in 1980 for a
reported $100 million.

The Sylvester Foundation was formed in 1980 upon the death of Harcourt Sylvester, Sr. from
cancer. When Virginia died in 1984 from heart disease, her estate brought the foundation its full



                                                                                                 36
endowment. The foundation has been and continues to be generous to various areas at the
Medical Campus.

Jayne Sylvester Malfitano is the daughter of Harcourt Sylvester, Jr. and serves as a trustee for
the family‟s foundation. She also was president of the Junior League in Boca Raton, where she
was instrumental in establishing a shelter for abandoned and abused children. She has also been
active with Guardian Ad Litem and the Boca Raton Community Hospital.

Dr. George Nicholas Papanicolaou, Ph.D., M.D., 1883-1962 was a Greek immigrant who
became one of the most renowned cancer researchers of all time. He was responsible for
inventing the “Pap” test for cervical cancer for women.

George Nicolas Papanicolaou was born on May 13, 1883 in Kymi, Greece. His father Nico las,
was a well-respected physician and his mother, Maria, was a very cultured lady who had a great
love for Greek classical music and literature.

He entered the University of Athens where he majored in humanities and music. Due to his
father‟s encouragement, George went on to medical school and graduated with an “A” average in
1904. He served as an assistant surgeon in the military until 1906.

He began his medical career taking care of patients at a leper colony north of his hometown in
Kymi. In 1907, Papanicolaou went to Jena, Germany for postgraduate study at the Zoological
Institute in Munich, the greatest zoological research center in the world at that time. In 1910,
Papanicolaou obtained his Ph.D. Four years later, he obtained a position as assistant in the
Department of Anatomy at New York‟s Cornell Medical School in 1914. His wife, Mary, also
worked there as his technician.

In 1920, Dr. Papanicolaou began his study of the vaginal cytology of the human. After
becoming familiar with normal cytology changes, he found some cases of malignancy. In 1928
he published a paper about the results of his work, which was the beginning of the Pap smear
test.

Dr. Papanicolaou came to the University of Miami School of Medicine in 1961 to continue his
groundbreaking work; however, he died just a year later on February 18, 1962 of heart failure.
On May 13, 1962, the Papanicolaou Cancer Research Institute was dedicated in his honor. The
dedication address was given by Dr. Papanicolaou‟s friend, Dr. Charles Cameron, who said: “He
was a giver of life; he is in the company of the great; he is one of the elect of the men of earth
who stand for all eternity like solitary towers along the way to human betterment. We are deeply
in his debt.”




                                                                                                   37
UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI

Buildings Not Yet Dedicated

     Medical Campus




                              38
Edelman Building
(Dermatology Clinic)
1444 NW 9th Avenue
(8,412 sq. ft)
1.9 acres – UM owned

History

Originally built in 1926, the Edelman Building was owned by Mr. Edelman, said to be a
prominent judge in South Florida. His heir, Michael Edelman and attorney Aaron Podhurst,
trustees of his estate, sold the building to the University in 1993. The building retained the name
“Edelman Building” by default.

The Edelman and Sieron buildings (owned by UM), and the Miami Subs restaurant, comprise a
site totaling 2.65 acres of land, which has been designated by the University‟s Master Plan for a
future research center.

Background Information

No further information available.




                                                                                                 39
Elliott Building
(Elliott Building)
1800 NW 10th Avenue
(22,501 sq. ft)
.98 acres – Leased: Miami-Dade County

History

One of the oldest buildings on the Medical Center Campus, the Elliott Building was constructed
in 1935 by the John Elliott Blood Bank of Dade County – one of the first blood banks in the
southeastern United States. The building was acquired by the University of Miami in 1972 when
the blood bank moved to new quarters. It kept the name “Elliott Building” by default.

The building is currently used for HIV/AIDS research and some limited clinical care services.

Brief Background

Dr. John Elliott, D.Sc., devised the closed system for the collection of blood into evacuated
bottles. The American Association of Blood Banks in 1956 instituted a memorial award in his
honor recognizing members who demonstrate outstanding service.




                                                                                                40
Glass Building
(Glass Building)
1601-1699 NW 7th Avenue
(35,696 sq. ft)
.73 acres – UM Owned

History

Originally constructed in 1975, this building was purchased by the University of Miami in 1993
from Jeannette Tavormina, a bankruptcy trustee. The building currently houses the Departments
of Psychiatry and Comprehensive Drug Research, the mailroom and surplus supplies.

Originally built as a glass factory, the building retained the name “Glass Building” by default.

Background Information

No further information available.




                                                                                                   41
Medical Training & Simulation Laboratory
(MTSL – Center for Research in Medical Education)
1430 NW 11th Avenue
(12,629 sq. ft)
3.17 acres – UM Owned

History

The construction of the Medical Training and Simulation Laboratory was begun in 1978.
Funding was provided by patients and a variety of private donors. The building was completed
in 1979, and Dr. Michael Gordon was named its director. The Lab was later renamed as the
Center for Research in Medical Education.

The buildings houses “Harvey” – the first life-size cardiology patient simulator, the Rochelle &
Harold Fein Cardiovascular Training Center, the Archie L. Monroe Simulator Education Center,
the Joan K. Stout, R.N. Center for Computers in Medical Education, and the W. George & Ethel
M. Kennedy Emergency Training Center for paramedics and hazmat (hazardous materials)
personnel.

Background Information

The Center for Research in Medical Education (CRME) was established in 1966 by Dr. Michael
S. Gordon, the inventor of “Harvey” (the first electronic patient simulator) and the founder and
director of the emergency medical skills training center for Miami-Dade County paramedics and
hazardous materials personnel.

Currently Dr. Gordon is also the associate dean for research in medical education and professor
of clinical medicine (cardiology). He has an international reputation as a pioneer in the delivery
of more-effective medical education through advanced technology and s imulation. His programs
have received numerous national and international awards, and have had a major impact on
teaching programs throughout the world. In 1996 he received the highest educational honor of
the American College of Cardiology – the Gifted Teacher Award, and he has been listed
numerous times in lists of “Best Doctors in the U.S.” The State of Florida recognized his work
by citing it as an example of programs “that enrich the lives of the citizens of the state.”

The Emergency Skills program at CRME annually trains more than 6,500 paramedics and
hazmat specialists that answer the 911 calls of more than six million citizens of Florida.




                                                                                               42
Professional Arts Center
(Professional Arts Center)
1150 NW 14th Street
(75,622 sq. ft)
5.6 acres – UM Owned

History

Originally built in 1965.

Located across from the Winn Dixie Hope Lodge, this building was purchased by the University
of Miami in1992 from the Professional Arts Center Partnership – A Florida General Partnership,
and Clifford D. Rosen, as Trustee of the P.A.C. Trust.

The University had previously been renting space in this building for many years. The seven-
story building is currently used for clinical and administrative activities. It retained the name
“Professional Arts Center” by default.

Background Information

No further information available.




                                                                                                    43
Sieron Building
(Psychiatry and Comprehensive Aging Center)
1425 NW 10th Avenue
(17,969 sq. ft)
1.9 acres – UM Owned

History

Originally constructed in 1960, this building was purchased by the University in 1989 from
Thaddeus Sieron and his wife, Martha. It retained the name Sieron Building by default.

Background Information

No further information available.




                                                                                             44
University of Miami Hospital & Clinics
(UMHC)
1475 NW 12 Avenue
(133,100 sq. ft)
3.17 acres – UM Owned

History

The University of Miami Hospital and Clinics (UMHC) consist of two buildings.

In 1965, the National Children‟s Cardiac Hospital built the first building as a new children‟s
hospital specializing in the treatment of rheumatic fever. However, following the development
of penicillin and inoculations after World War II, this disease was finally eradicated, and the
need for the hospital no longer existed. The building was sold to L. Stanley “Buddy” Berenson,
who donated it to the University of Miami. It became the University‟s first diagnostic hospital
facility. In fact, it was so closely associated with the childrens‟ hospital that it retained the name
UM-NCCH for many years, and is still thought of that way by many, even to this day.

In the late 1980s, when the Sylvesters gave their $32 million gift to the cancer center, $10
million of that gift was used to build the second building of the UMHC, as it is now called.

Brief Donor Bio

L. Stanley “Buddy” Berenson, 75, of Miami, Florida owner of Monticello Raceway, died
March 24, 2000. Mr. Berenson, in addition to his interest in Monticello, was widely known as
the nation‟s leading operator of Jai Alai frontons. His father, Richard, was president of the
Miami fronton and responsible for legalization of the game in Florida.

Mr. Berenson began by working in the box office of Miami Jai Alai, rising to succeed his father
as president of that fronton and then to the post of chairman of World Jai Alai, which operated
frontons in Miami, Tampa, Ocala and Ft. Pierce in Florida, and Hartford, Connecticut.

He sold his interest in World Jai Alai in 1977, purchased the Hartford fronton in 1981 and then
bought Monticello Raceway in 1983.

Survivors of Mr. Berenson include his wife of 47 years, Mary; children Richard, and Diane
Watson; grandchildren Chester and Haley Watson, and Richard I. Berenson; daughter- in- law
Alina Berenson; and son- in-law Dr. Edward Watson.




                                                                                                    45
Viciana Medical Cente r Warehouse
(Viciana Building)
1636 NW 7th Avenue
(16,422 sq. ft)
Land – UM Owned

History

Originally built in 1941, this building was purchased by the University from a Mr. Enrique
Viciana (through Aquarius Ventures Corporation) in February 2001. By default, it was named
for the man from whom it was purchased.

Background Information

No further information available.




                                                                                             46
Zanetti Building
(Zanetti Building)
794 NW 1st Street
(2,199 sq. ft)
.48 acres - UM Owned

History

Originally constructed in 1971. This off-campus building was purchased by the University in
1989 and is currently being used to house the Sickle Cell Center. It was purchased from John
Zanetti and his wife Ema, and retained the name “Zanetti Building” by default.

Background Information

No further information available.




                                                                                               47
SOURCES:


          University Advancement files (electronic and paper) and archives
          Richter Library Archives and Special Collections
          Calder Library Archives
          University Media Relations archives
          Medical Media Relations archives
          Veritas and Hurricane Signals archives
          The University of Miami: A Golden Anniversary History, by Charlton W. Tebeau
          Miami: The Magic City by Arva Moore Parks
          The Pathway to Greatness: The 75th Anniversary of the University of Miami, by
           Arva Moore Parks
          Rendezvous with Greatness: The 75th Anniversary of the University of Miami, by
           William Marina and Charlton W. Tebeau
          Facilities files
          Real Estate office files
          UM Website
          The Miami Herald archives
          Center for Research in Medical Education
          Internet obituaries
          Oral histories
                            Dr. Bernard Fogel




                                                                                       48
                              INDEX OF BUILDINGS


Anne Bates Leach Eye Hospital                                  4
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute                                    5
Batchelor Children’s Research Institute                        7
Breyer Patch                                                   9
Buoniconti Drive                                               25
Diabetes Research Institute                                    10
Dorothy H. and Louis S. Rosenstiel Medical Sciences Building   13
Dr. Bernard J. Fogel Boulevard                                 15
Dr. Charles Mutter Building                                    17
Dr. Louis Fox Cance r Research Building                        18
Edelman Building                                               39
Elliott Building                                               40
Evelyn F. and William L. McKnight Vision Research Cente r      19
Glass Building                                                 41
Halissee Hall                                                  21
Joseph Applebaum MRI Center                                    23
Kathleen & Stanley Glasser Medical Research Building           24
Lois Pope Life Center                                          25
Louis Calder Memorial Library                                  28
Mailman Center for Child Development & Debbie Institute        29
Medical Training & Simulation Laboratory                       42
Miami Project to Cure Paralysis                                26
Papanicolaou Cancer Research Institute                         31
Professional Arts Center                                       43
R. Bunn Gautier Building                                       32
Raffington Building                                            34
Schoninger Research Quadrangle                                 35
Sewell Building                                                21
Sieron Building                                                44



                                                                    49
Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center      36
University of Miami Hospital and Clinics   45
Viciana Medical Cente r Warehouse          46
Zanetti Building                           47




                                                50
                                    INDEX OF DONORS

AFL-CIO Building & Construction Trade Union              11
Annenberg, Lenore Rosenstiel                             14
Applebaum, Joseph                                        23
Batchelor, George Edward                                  7
Berenson, L. Stanley “Buddy”                             45
Buoniconti, Nick                                         26
Buoniconti, Marc                                         26
Calder, Louis (Jr. & Sr.)                                28
Edelman, Michael                                         39
Elliott, Dr. John                                        40
Fogel, Dr. Bernard J.                                    15
Fox, Dr. Louis                                           18
Gautier, R. Bunn                                         32
Glasser, Kathleen & Stanley                              24
Kabler, Elizabeth Rosenstiel                             14
Kennedy Foundation, Joseph P. Jr.                        30
Kosow, Eleanor & Joseph                                  11
Leach, Anne Winship Bates                                 4
Mailman, Joseph                                          29
Malfitano, Jayne Sylvester                               37
Markey Charitable Trust, Lucille P.                      33
McKnight, Evelyn F.                                      20
McKnight, William L.                                     19
Mutter, Dr. Charles B.                                   17
Palme r, Dr. Bascom Headon                                6
Papanicolaou, Dr. George Nicholas                     31, 37
Pope, Lois                                               25
Raffington, Thomas                                       34
Rodgers, Charlotte Breyer                                 9
Rosenstiel, Dorothy H. & Lewis S.                        13


                                                               51
Rosenstiel, Lady Blanka                           14
Schaefer, Rowland & Sylvia                        11
Schoninger, Bernard & Alexandria                  35
Segal, Marilyn Mailman                            30
Sewell, John                                      21
Sieron, Thaddeus & Martha                         44
Simkins, Leon J.                                  12
Sylvester Foundation, Harcourt M. & Virginia W.    8
Sylvester, Harcourt M., Jr.                       36
Viciana, Enrique                                  46
Zanetti, John & Ema                               47




                                                       52

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Description: Miami Auto Injury Attorney document sample