Document Sample
					                                             STATE OF TENNESSEE 
                                    DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE AND INSURANCE 
                                   BOARD FOR LICENSING CONTRACTORS 
                           500 JAMES ROBERTSON PARKWAY; NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE 37243­1150 
              Mailing Address: 
                     TELEPHONE:  800­544­7693 OR (615) 741­8307 OR FACSIMILE (615) 532­2868 

                                           INSURANCE INFORMATION 

The  Board  for  Licensing  Contractors  regulates  licensing  for  five  (5)  professions  and  insurance  and 
bonding  requirements  are  listed  in  each  of  the  applications.    While  not  all  professions  require  proof  of 
insurance  as  a  condition  of  our  licensing,  you must  continue  to follow  the  law,  especially relative to  the 
Department of Labor’s workers’ compensation regulations.  The following is a summary of  the minimum 
required to obtain a license: 

             LICENSE TYPE                                                   INSURANCE REQUIRED 
Contractors (Building, Electrical, Mechanical, Specialty, etc)         General Liability and Workers’ Comp 
Home Improvement                                                       General Liability/Workers’ Comp/Bond 
Limited Licensed Electricians (LLE)                                                     None 
Limited Licensed Plumbers (LLP)                                                         None 
Pre­License Course Providers                                                     $50,000 Bond 

(Note:  Local  municipalities  permit  issuing  agencies  and  bid  awarding  authorities  may  also  require  insurance  and 

General Liability 
Effective July 1, 2007, the state law requires all contractors to obtain General Liability insurance in order 
to  renew  or  apply  for  a  contractor  or  home  improvement  license.  (In  addition, Workers’  Compensation 
insurance is also required.) 

The  Board  has  established  the  following  as  a  “minimum”  amount  of  coverage  and  it’s  based  on  the 
monetary limit (amount the contractor may contract) designated on the license.  Please check with your 
insurance  provider,  as  they  may  advise  to  apply  for  more  or  additional  coverage,  based  upon  your 
individual needs and the amount of projects you perform. 

Contractor’s License Monetary Limit                                    Minimum General Liability Insurance 

Less than $25,000 (Home Improvement)                                           $   100,000 
Up to $500,000                                                                 $  100,000 
$500,001 to $1,500,000                                                         $  500,000 
$1,500,001 to Unlimited                                                        $1,000,000 

(Rev. 6/2010)

Format for Submitting Proof of Insurance for Contractor’s License 
Always  supply  a  cover letter  or  “Notice  of  Insurance” form  (see  page  7)  if  submitting  proof  of insurance 
without  being  attached  to  the  application.  Format  requirements for  submitting  proof  of insurance  to  the 
Contractors  Board  is  a  certificate  of  insurance  (available  from  your  insurance  agency)  which  lists  a 
policy  number  (not  binder  or  account  number),  a  beginning  and  expiration  date,  and  limits  of  the 
insurance.  The name on the license must match the name in the insured box.  The Board should be 
listed  as  the  certificate  holder.  Submitting  anything  other  than  a  certificate  of  insurance  may  delay 
license issuance, and the following is listed as a guideline to the requirements:

      ·    “Producer” section must include the name of the insurance agency, and telephone number;
      ·    “Insured” section should list the name of the contractor as licensed;
      ·    “Certificate of Insurance” should list the name of the insurance company;
      ·     To Be Determined” or “TBD” is not acceptable;
      ·     Policy effective and expiration date listed;
      ·     “Description of Operations” portion must list: “State of Tennessee Contractors License”;
      ·     “Certificate Holder” section should list the “Board for Licensing Contractors” with address; and
      ·    “Cancellation Notice” section must be completed with at least 10 days notice to be given.

     ·    Limits are required to be listed on Certificate of Insurance: 
                o    Each occurrence (this value must comply with minimum requirements based on monetary limit) 
                o    Damage to Rented Premises (each occurrence) 
                o    Medical Expense (any one person) 
                o    Personal & Adv Injury 
                o    General Aggregate 
                o    Products­ comp/op agg 

Note:    To  ensure  the  insurance  is  matched  to  your  license,  please  include  the  license  ID#  on  the 
certificate.  If the license is pending issuance for proof of insurance, attach a cover letter or page nine (9) 
“Notice of Insurance” of the attached.  Otherwise, it may be filed or held without processing the license 


According to the law, a Home Improvement license is considered invalid upon cancellation of the bond. 
We  request  the  insurance  company  to  notify  the  Board,  as  the  certificate  holder,  10  days  prior  to 
cancellation.    Contractors  may  request  their  license  to  be  placed  in  retirement  by  submitting  the 
retirement application and $25.00 fee, should they not renew or cancel their insurance coverage. 

Contractors may retire their license in the case where they need to cancel insurance due to lack of work. 

Bond/Irrevocable Letter of Credit 

“Home Improvement” contractors must submit proof of financial responsibility in the amount of  $10,000; 
typically  a  surety  bond  or  an  Irrevocable  Letter  of  Credit,  The  sample  form  is  included  in  the  Home 
Improvement application or on the Board’s website. 

“Pre­license  Course  Providers”  must  supply  a  $50,000  bond  in  order  to  be  approved  to  offer  contractor 
exam courses.  The sample form is included in their application and is on the website. 

Contractor  entities,  who  are  owned  by  another  entity,  may  request  the  Board  to  consider  accepting  a 
bond on the Board’s format, for those unable to obtain a Guaranty Agreement from the parent company. 
This would be in addition to the financial statement (this cannot be waived).  This bond would need to be 
in the exact format; no deviation of the language, with a “Power of Attorney” from an approved A.M.Best 
Company, Inc. insurance provider. 

Bonds are considered a matter of public record. 

(A  bond  is  only  required  by  law  for  two  (2)  of  our  licensing  programs  (home  improvement  and  Prelicense  course  providers), 
however, the local municipalities may require permit bonds as part of their local license, permits, and inspection process.)

Law Applying to Insurance for Contractor’s Board Licensees 

The following is a summary of legislation SB1784, Public Chapter 130: 

SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 62­6­111(a)(1), is amended by inserting the following 
sentence at the end of that subdivision: “Any application for initial licensure or for renewal of licensure 
also shall be accompanied by an affidavit affirming that the applicant maintains general liability insurance 
and workers’ compensation insurance and specifying the amount of such insurance as well as any other 
information the board may require.” 

SECTION 2. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 62­37 (was deleted under a separate bill and merged with 62­6). 

SECTION 3. This act shall take effect July 1, 2007, the public welfare requiring it. 

For the most current publication of the law, you may obtain from our website or at the LexisNexis Law Publishing site 

Rules and Regulations Applying to Licensees 

0680­6­.01 Definitions 

      (1)  “Applicant”  means  an  individual  or  entity  who/that  is  applying  for  a  home  improvement  contractor  license  or  a  general 
               contractor license with the Board. 
      (2) “Board” means the Board for Licensing Contractors created by Tenn. Code Ann. § 62­6­104. 
      (3) “General Liability Insurance” means an insurance policy providing insurance coverage for negligent acts or other acts of 
               the principal insured or the principal insured’s agents or employees, operating in the course and scope of the agency 
               or employment. 
      (4)  “Licensee”  means  an  individual  or  entity  who/that  is  licensed  with  the  Board  as  a  home  improvement  contractor  or  a 
               general contractor. 

Authority: Chapter 130 and Chapter 460 of the Public Acts of 2007, §1 and T.C.A. §§ 62­6­108and 62­6­ 
111(a)(1) [effective July 1, 2007] and 62­6­506(b)(5) [effective July 1, 2007]. 

 Administrative History: Public necessity rule filed June 29, 2007, expired December 11, 2007. Public 
               necessity rule filed December 11, 2007; effective through May 24, 2008. 


      (1) Board licensees and applicants shall maintain general liability insurance as follows: 
             (a) In the case of all home improvement contractor applicants or licensees, or if a general contractor applicant’s or a 
                        licensee’s  monetary  limit  is  between  the  amounts  of  zero  dollars  ($0)  and  five  hundred  thousand  dollars 
                        ($500,000),  then  the  applicant  or  licensee  shall  obtain  a  general  liability  insurance  policy  in  an  amount  not 
                        less than one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000). 
             (b)  If  an  applicant’s  or  a  licensee’s  monetary  limit  is  between  the  amounts  of  five  hundred  thousand  one  dollar 
                        ($500,001)  and  one  million five  hundred thousand  dollars ($1,500,000), then the  applicant  or  licensee shall 
                        obtain  a  general  liability  insurance  policy  in  an  amount  not  less  than  five  hundred  thousand  dollars 
             (c)  If  an  applicant’s  or  a  licensee’s  monetary  limit  is  one  million  five  hundred  thousand  one  dollar  ($1,500,001)  or 
                        more, then the applicant or licensee shall obtain a general liability insurance policy in an amount of not less 
                        than one million dollars ($1,000,000). 

Authority: Chapter 130 and Chapter 460 of the Public Acts of 2007, §1 and T.C.A. §§ 62­6­108 and 62­ 
6­111(a)(1) [effective July 1, 2007] and 62­6­506(b)(5) [effective July 1, 2007]. 

Administrative History: Public necessity rule filed June 29, 2007, expired December 11, 2007. Public 
necessity rule filed December 11, 2007; effective through May 24, 2008.


       (1) Applicants shall provide the Board with a copy of a certificate of insurance upon applying for licensure with the Board as 
               proof of having obtained a general liability insurance policy. 
       (2) Licensees shall provide the Board with a copy of a certificate of insurance upon renewing his/her/its license as proof of 
               having maintained a general liability insurance policy. 
       (3) Applicants and licensees shall name the Board as the certificate holder on the general liability insurance policy. 

Authority: Chapter 130 and Chapter 460 of the Public Acts of 2007, §1 and T.C.A. §§ 62­6­108 and 62­ 
6­111(a)(1) [effective July 1, 2007] and 62­6­506(b)(5) [effective July 1, 2007]. Administrative History: 
Public necessity rule filed June 29, 2007, expired December 11, 2007. Public necessity rule filed 
December 11, 2007; effective through May 24, 2008. 

For the most current publication of Rules and Regulations, pertaining to Contractor’s licensing,  you may 
obtain from our website or at the Secretary of State at: 

Workers Compensation 
Law Requiring Proof of Insurance for Contractors’ Licensing 
T.C.A.  §  62­6­111(a)(1),  “Any  application  for  initial  licensure  or  for  renewal  of  licensure  also  shall  be 
accompanied by an affidavit affirming that the applicant maintains general liability insurance and workers’ 
compensation  insurance  and  specifying  the  amount  of  such  insurance  as  well  as  any  other  information 
the  board  may  require.”  (This  law  is  part  of  the  Board  for  Licensing  Contractors  and  does  not  define 
who’s required, as in the law with the Department of Labor.) 

Exemptions for Owners ­ Department of Labor and Workforce Development 
Public Chapter 1 – HB7007 – Effective March 28, 2011 
Public  Chapter  1041  ­  Repealed  the  requirement  for  owners  to  cover  themselves,  from  12/31/09  to 
1/27/10.  Currently,  Sole  proprietors,  LLC’s  and  Partnerships  may  be  exempt  if  they  have  zero  (0) 
employees.  Corporations are not exempt; must provide coverage for a minimum of one (1). 
SB3591 (Pending) 2010 Legislative Session 

SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 50­6­113, is amended by deleting subdivision (f)(1)(B) 
and substituting instead the following: 
(f)(1)(B)  The  requirement  set  out  in  subdivision  (1)(A)  shall  apply  whether  or  not  the  person  employs 
fewer  than  five  (5)  employees.  Sole  proprietors  and  partners  shall  not  be  required  to  carry  workers' 
compensation insurance on themselves. 
SECTION 2. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 50­6­113, is amended by deleting subdivision (f)(1)(B) 
and substituting instead the following: 
(f)(1)(B)  Notwithstanding  subdivision  (f)(1)(A),  a  sole  proprietor  or  partner  engaged  in  the  construction 
industry  shall  not  be  required  to  carry  workers'  compensation  on  themselves  if  they  are  doing  work 
directly for the owner of the property pursuant to subdivision (f)(1)(C), but shall be 
required  to  carry  workers'  compensation  insurance  on  any  subcontractor,  employee  or  worker  not 
otherwise  covered  by  a  policy  of  workers'  compensation;  however,  if  a  sole  proprietor  or  partner  is 
working as an intermediate contractor or subcontractor contractor, then workers' compensation insurance 
shall be required on themselves. 
SECTION  3.  The  provisions  of  Section  1  shall  take  effect  upon  becoming  a  law,  the  public  welfare 
requiring  it,  and  shall  remain  in  effect  until  12:01  a.m.  on  March  28,  2011.  The  provisions  of  Section  2 
shall take effect at 12:01 a.m. on March 28, 2011. 

Law Defining Employees 

T.C.A.  §  50­6­102(10)  (A)  “Employee”  includes  every  person,  including  a  minor,  whether  lawfully  or 
unlawfully employed, the president, any vice president, secretary, treasurer or other executive officer of a 
corporate employer without regard to the nature of the duties of the corporate officials, in the service of an 
employer, as employer is defined in subdivision (11), under any contract of hire or apprenticeship, written 
or implied. Any reference in this chapter to an employee who has been injured shall, where the employee 
is  dead,  also  include  the  employee's  legal  representatives,  dependents  and  other  persons  to  whom 
compensation may be payable under this chapter;

(11)    “Employer”  includes  any  individual,  firm,  association  or  corporation,  the  receiver  or  trustee  of  the 
individual, firm, association or corporation, or the legal representative of a deceased employer, using the 
services of not less than five (5) persons for pay, except as provided in § 50­6­113, and, in the case of an 
employer  engaged  in  the  mining  and  production  of  coal,  one  (1)  employee  for  pay.  If  the  employer  is 
insured, it shall include the employer's insurer, unless otherwise provided in this chapter. 

§T.C.A.  50­6­103  (a)    Every  employer  and  employee  subject  to  the Workers'  Compensation  Law  shall, 
respectively, pay and accept compensation for personal injury or death by accident arising out of and in 
the  course  of  employment  without  regard  to  fault  as  a  cause  of  the  injury  or  death;  provided,  that  any 
employee who is a corporate officer of the employer shall not be bound if such employee has given, prior 
to  any  accident  resulting  in  injury  or  death,  notice  to  be  exempted  from  the  provisions  of  such  law  as 
provided in this part. 

 (b)  The election by any employee who is a corporate officer of the employer to be exempted from the 
provisions  of  the  Workers'  Compensation  Law  shall  not  reduce  the  number  of  employees  of  such 
employer for the purposes of determining the requirements of coverage of the employer under such law. 

For more changes, see Tennessee General Assembly’s website at: 

FAQ’s – Frequently Asked Questions for Corporations 
Q.       If  the  President  of  the  corporation  has  a  business  and  the  entity  they  own  is  licensed  as  a 
         contractor,  such  as  "Jones  Corporation,  Inc."    If  John  Jones,  the  president  and  owner  of  the 
         corporation, who does not have any employees, files an I­6 form can the licensee, a corporation, 
         be exempt from obtaining coverage? 

A.       The  answer  is  "NO"  to  being  exempt  from  having  to  carry  workers'  compensation  insurance. 
         However, corporate officer(s) may file the I­6 form and be excluded from the policy, but not from 
         the workers' compensation requirement. Per the law, corporate officers who reject (file form I­6) 
         the coverage, are still included in the number of employees for the purposes of determining the 
         requirement of coverage under § T.C.A. 50­6­103(b). (Note:  A corporation that is "NOT" in the 
         "construction industry" would still be exempt until the 5th employee is hired; officers are always 
         included  in  the  count.)  In  the  above  sample  question,  according  to  the  law,  the  corporation  is 
         required to obtain workers’ compensation insurance even when there is only a corporate officer in 
         the corporation who’s filed an I­6, with no employees.  If the corporation has any employees, the 
         employees’ payroll will be added and so would additional premiums. 

Workers Compensation Verification Services (LWFD) 
To check and verify workers compensation, you may go to: 

Workers’ Compensation Division website is at:­wfd/wcomp.html 

Premium Questions 
Premium  questions involving  workers'  compensation insurance  should  be  directed to  the  Department  of 
Commerce and Insurance. Their website may be found at or 

Adopted Rules 
Rules from the publications section of the Tennessee Secretary of State of Tennessee are at:­02/0800­02.htm 

NCCI Contracting Industry Group Classification Codes 
The NCCI classification codes may be obtained at:

Notice of Insurance  (Do Not Send Proof of Insurance Without a Cover!) 

NOTE:  For  better  service,  it  is  best  NOT  to  submit  a  “Certificate  of  Insurance” 
separately from the pending license application.  If it is not attached to your application, 
please use the cover letter “Notice of Insurance” form (see page 7). Due to hundreds 
of certificates received daily, an insurance certificate sent loosely without being attached 
to a pending application or revision request may not get properly matched to the license 
request  and  it  could  delay  issuance.    Therefore,  when  submitting  without  your 
application,  we  would  appreciate  utilizing  the  attached  “Notice  of  Insurance”  cover 
letter.  Thank you!

                                STATE OF TENNESSEE 
                         BOARD FOR LICENSING CONTRACTORS 
                                   Mailing Address:  500 JAMES ROBERTSON PARKWAY 
                                          NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE 37243­1150 
                  TELEPHONE:  800­544­7693 OR (615) 741­8307 OR FAX (615) 532­2868 

                                        NOTICE OF INSURANCE 

It is encouraged to only send proof of insurance with the appropriate application form, such as when applying for a 
new license, renewing or for obtaining a license revision.  This will ensure a pending license gets issued.  However, 
if you failed to include proof of insurance with the application, you may submit the “Certificate of Insurance” with 
this form to identify the appropriate section to forward where it is needed. 

1.       Attached is an updated “Certificate of Insurance” to be placed in the records of the Board 
         for Licensing Contractors, for a license as: 

                 Contractor:       ___ ­ License ID# _____________;  ___ ­N/A 
                 Home Improvement: ___ ­ License ID# _____________;    ___ ­N/A 

2.       This “Certificate of Insurance” is forwarded to the Board for the following reason(s): 

                 Pending Renewal – Needed to complete license renewal issuance 
                 Pending New License – Needed to obtain new license 
                 Pending Revision – Needed to complete for revision of license: 
                  __Name Change;  __Mode of Operation Change;  __Increase  __Other 
                 Renewed Insurance – For Records Update 
                 Records Update ­ Due to new provider, cancellation or expiration 
                 Cancellation Notice – License to be made “Invalid” 
                 Other ­ _________________________________ 

Submitted by:         Contractor              Insurance Company                        Other ­____________________________ 
Name:_______________________________________                              Email: ______________________________________ 

_____________________________________                                                      Date_______________ 

                              Physical Address: 710 James Robertson Parkway, Third Floor Andrew Johnson Tower


Description: General Liability Insurance Tennessee document sample