Sample Minutes Format and Template
INSTRUCTIONS TO SECRETARIES AND/OR MEETING RECORDERS
1. The organization depends on you for an accurate record of the action items in each
meeting. It is important that you keep an accurate record at the time action or discussion
2. Minutes should record only action taken. You need not attempt to record discussion.
3. Use written form for all motions. These forms will be available at all meetings. Have
the motion in the hands of the chairperson at the time the final vote is taken. Number all
motions and refer to them in your minutes by number. These written motions will give
you assurance that you will record exactly what the group voted.
4. Please write on one side of the paper only and number each page.
5. Please follow the format. A sample is on the following page.
6. Feel free to ask the chairholder or members to pause, if necessary, to seek interpretation
of information or action for minutes as meeting progresses.
7. It is much easier to edit and rewrite minutes as necessary immediately following the
meeting. Seek assistance of chairholder as needed. We would appreciate minutes that
are legible and ready for typing.
8. Please take a few minutes at the end of the meeting to review minutes with the staff in
attendance at the meeting. Staff will give the minutes to word processing for drafting.
9. Actions taken by the cabinet, councils, or committees by telephone conference call or by
e-mail, are to be ratified at the next meeting of the organizational unit and copies of the
conference call or e-mail actions are to be attached to the minutes.
FORMAT AND SAMPLE MINUTES
WASHINGTON STATE NURSES ASSOCIATION
CENTER THE NAME OF THE GROUP IN ALL CAPS AT
THE TOP OF THE PAGE, BELOW WSNA
Minutes of Meeting
DATE AND TIME
List the date and time of the meeting.
Where the meeting was held. (Example--WSNA Headquarters)
List the names of the cabinet, council, or committee members present for the meeting.
List the names of the cabinet, council, or committee members who were absent, if any, and
whether they are excused absences or unexcused absences.
List the name of the staff person present.
MINUTES OF LAST MEETING
Note here if the minutes of the last meeting were approved and/or corrected.
List any material read and brief statement of information.
REPORT OF CABINET, COUNCILS, OR COMMITTEES
List all cabinet, council, or committee reports by title, in caps, and underlined and brief resume of
the content of the report. (Written reports are to be attached to the final minutes.)
MSC - (SUBJECT OF MOTION), or MS-LOST - (SUBJECT OF MOTION)
MSC indicates the motion was moved, seconded and carried, then list a very brief title of the
motion. The written motion form can be used later to fill in final wording of the motion. It
should always be indicated who moved and seconded the motion, and the motion form is to be
signed by the mover and seconder.
The date and time of the next meeting should be established before adjournment, as well as a
proposed agenda for the meeting.
RECESS OR ADJOURNMENT
Note time of recess or adjournment