Visa Application for Tunisia by zsr14341


Visa Application for Tunisia document sample

More Info
									       Travel Seminar
Please bring your:
• I-20 or DS-2019
• Passport
• Visa
• I-94
• Proof of Health Insurance including Medical Evacuation
  and Repatriation Coverage
        Travel Signature
A travel signature is provided on page 3 of the I-20 / Page 1 of the
DS-2019 and is valid for re-entry within 1 year from the date it was
given or until the end date on your document (whatever is shorter)
    • Exception: 6 month validity during OPT
    • If you are concerned about your status, you may request a more current
      travel signature
To obtain subsequent travel signatures, you may:
• Attend the Travel Seminar at the Slutzker Center
• Schedule an appointment to meet with the ESF Coordinator of Int’l Education
You must bring the following documents to the seminar/
    •   I-20 or DS-2019
    •   Passport
    •   Visa
    •   I-94 card
    •   Proof of current health insurance and medical evacuation & repatriation coverage
       Travel Within the U.S.

Law and immigration enforcement agents may randomly stop and
question you during routine activities such as driving in your car or
waiting for a bus at a bus station.
Be prepared!
• Carry original I-20 or DS-2019, passport, visa, and I-94 card
• Carry your University ID card
• If you are applying for a change of status, visa, or EAD card, carry your
  application receipt as proof of pending application

Individuals without valid travel documents may be detained,
arrested, threatened with deportation, and/or taken into
Department of Homeland Security (DHS) custody.
     Travel Outside the US:
          Special Registration (NSEERS)
As part of the non-immigrant visa application process, consular
officers at U.S. Embassies and Consulates are required to identify
individuals who will have to follow the special registration
requirements in the U.S..
Further security checks after initial immigration inspection are
typically required for:
• Certain citizens or nationals of Iran, Iraq, Libya, Sudan and Syria, as designated
  by the DHA Secretary in the Federal Register
• Males age 16-45 from Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Djibouti,
  Egypt, Eritrea, Indonesia, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Malaysia, Morocco,
  Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Tunisia, the United Arab
  Emirates, and Yemen
• Foreign nationals of any country may be asked by a U.S. Customs and Border
  Protection (USCBP) officer to undergo Special Registration if they feel they
  may be a national security threat
   Travel to:
   Canada, Mexico, & Adjacent Islands
*Travel documents for absence less than 5 months:
• Passport—valid 6 months beyond your date of re-entry
• U.S. visa
    • Automatic Visa Revalidation: You may be eligible to re-enter the U.S. from
      Canada, Mexico, or adjacent islands (not Cuba) on expired visa if:
         • you are in lawful status and not terminated in SEVIS;
         • your visit was 30 days or less;
         • you are not a citizen of “state sponsors of terrorism (Iran, Syria, Sudan, North
           Korea, Cuba); and
         • you did not just apply for a U.S. visa in Canada or Mexico and get denied
• I-94 card
• Valid, accurate I-20/ DS-2019 with current travel signature
• May require an additional visa- consult Consulate prior to travel
    • Canada (Can apply via the mail or at the Canadian Consulate in Buffalo)
    • Mexico
* Originals, not copies
       Travel to:
       Canada, Mexico, & Adjacent Islands
If you are exiting the U.S. and traveling to Canada, Mexico, or
Adjacent Islands and:
   • are not an individual seeking a visa renewal;
   • have maintained your lawful non-immigrant status in the U.S.; and
   • intend to resume that status upon your return

you should keep your I-94 card provided it is valid beyond the
time of expected return to the United States.

If you were previously required to do special registration and:
   • Exit and re-enter the U.S. by land:
        Stop on the U.S. side of the border at Customs and Border Protection
        to complete your registration procedure
   • Exit and re-enter the U.S. by air or sea:
        Complete the exit procedure at an approved U.S. departure port
        Traveling Beyond North America
*Travel Documents for absence less than 5 months:
• Passport—valid 6 months beyond your date of re-entry
• Valid U.S. Visa
• I-94 card– Be sure to surrender your I-94 card when you exit.
                          Failure to do so may effect your eligibility to re-enter the U.S..
• Valid, accurate I-20/ DS-2019 with current travel signature
• Transcript from Registrar’s Office (111 Bray Hall) and/or Letter of
       (If you are traveling during the school year, you should obtain letter at the Registrar’s Office; If
       the spring semester is over and you are traveling over the summer, you should ask your
       academic department to issue a letter verifying your enrollment/progress towards your degree.)
• Financial documentation
         e.g., bank statements, assistantship letter, tuition scholarship
• License/University ID card/additional photo ID
* Originals, not copies
    Travel Documents (cont.)
• Office of International Education contact information
   Carolyn Salter, (315) 470-6691

• Additional visas may be necessary
   • Entry Visa (e.g., visitor, tourist)
      Some individuals visiting countries they are not citizens of must obtain a visa
      indicating the nature of their visit
   • Transit Visa (e.g., visitor in transit)
      Some individuals “transiting” into a country because travel requires an
      intermediate stop in a third country are required to obtain Transit Visas prior to
      traveling (there are sometimes exceptions for F-1 and J-1 students/scholars)
         - Change airports; Change airlines; Stay overnight in the airport
      Transit visas are commonly needed for travel through Europe (e.g., UK, France,
       Italy, Germany, Netherlands)

  Please consult the embassy prior to travel to determine if any
  visa(s) are necessary.
    Airport Security Clearances
Everyone who travels by air must go through a Federal
Transportation and Security Administration (TSA) screening
process prior to boarding the plane.
• Travel documents are reviewed
  - Airline boarding pass and government-issued photo ID (e.g., passport); passport is
    reviewed if it is international travel
• Individuals are screened through a metal detector
   - Must remove shoes, coat, metal objects
   - Lap tops are screened separately
   - If detector is set off, additional screening may be necessary

• Checked and carry-on baggage is screened for prohibited items
    -Travel-size liquid-based toiletries (3 ounces or less) that fit comfortably
     in 1 QUART-SIZE, clear plastic, zip-top bag may now be brought in carry-on
     (e.g., toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoo, sunblock, perfume/cologne, liquid foundation)
    -After clearing security, travelers can bring beverages and other items purchased in
     the secure boarding area on-board aircraft.
     Dependent Travel
Dependents in F-2/J-2 status:
• Should carry documents similar to those the primary F-1 student/J-1
  exchange visitor carries when traveling
        - Valid visa         - Valid passport
          - I-94 card         -Valid 1-20/DS-2019 with current travel signature
      - If applied for OPT: Copy of primary’s I-20 endorsed for OPT and EAD
• Should carry documentation that the primary is enrolled and maintaining
  their status
       - Transcript/ Letter of Enrollment/ Appointment Letter
• Dependents are not required to travel with the F-1/J-1 primary
• Dependents may remain in the U.S. without the primary as long as the
  F-1/J-1 maintains his/her current status and will return after a temporary
  absence using the same SEVIS ID number
    - If the F-1/J-1 primary will be outside the U.S. for 5 months or more, current
   status will be terminated and a new initial attendance I-20 will have to be
   issued for the primary and dependent(s)
    U.S. VISIT Entry Procedures
U.S. Visitor and Immigration Status Indicator Technology (US-
VISIT) is a system for keeping records of the entry of non-
immigrants traveling to the United States.
Under US-VISIT Entry procedures,
   • Your passport and visa documents (including I-94 and I-20/ DS-2019) will
     be reviewed
   • At a minimum, an inkless finger-scanning of your left & right index finger
     will be conducted
       -   Moving towards 10 fingerprint system
   • A digital photograph will be taken
   • You may be questioned about the purpose of your visit to the U.S.
An entry confirmation will be added to your travel records to
demonstrate compliance with the terms of your admission and to
verify that you are the same person who received the visa you
are utilizing to travel and enter the United States.
          I-94 Card
   On the airplane, train, or ship/ at the U.S port of entry:
   Since you surrendered your I-94 card to exit the U.S., you will be
   given a new I-94 card to fill out. It is required to re-enter the U.S.

                                                               Non-Immigrant Status

                                                                The immigration officer will
                                                                stamp your I-94 card and
                                                                - Your non-immigrant status
                                                                  (F-1/ F-2/ J-1/ J-2)
                                                                - The date of your entry
                                                                - The authorized period you
                                                                  may stay in the U.S. (D/S)
                                                                        (Duration of Status)
Please submit a copy of your new I-94 card to OIE every time you travel
     Re-Entry Issues
If the immigration officer reviewing your documents:
        • Does not stamp your I-94 card or new I-20/ DS-2019
        • Improperly marks your I-94 card or new I-20 / DS-2019
politely inform the officer of this and ask for assistance.
If the officer will not correct the issue, do not push the matter as
you risk being issued an “expedited removal” which could result in
a 5 year ban from entering the U.S..
If you do not receive the proper markings, you must make
an appointment to meet with the Coordinator of Int’l Education.
      She will help you to obtain the proper markings from an
      immigration officer at either:
        • The Hancock International Airport in Syracuse, or
        • Customs and Border Protection at the U.S. border
    Re-Entry Issues (cont.)
If there is a problem with your immigration documents, the
immigration officer may give you a Form I-515A granting you
lawful admission to the U.S. for 30 days and eligibility for all
of the benefits associated with your status.

In order to maintain status, within those 30 days you are required
to meet with the Coordinator of Int’l Education and send the
documents listed below to the address that is indicated on the
back of the I-515A Form.
   • Completed Form I-515A
   • Your original I-20/ DS-2019 signed by the Coordinator of Int’l Education
   • Your original I-94 card
     Re-Applying For a U.S. Visa
Visa renewals should be applied for at the U.S. Consulate
in your home country.
• U.S. Department of State visa information sheets are available
    • F-1 students
    • J-1 exchange visitors
    • Procedures for visa applications at a specific foreign U.S. consulate can be
      obtained by selecting the appropriate embassy from the embassy list.
Though not recommended, in some instances it is possible to apply for a U.S.
visa in a third country such as Canada or Mexico. This is riskier and denials are
more frequent.
• Some U.S. Foreign Consulates will not accept renewal application from non-
       Consulates along the U.S. border no longer accept applications from non-resident
       third country nationals from Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria
• If you are denied, you must return home and re-apply for a visa and be
  approved in order to re-enter the U.S.
    Traveling to Obtain a U.S. Visa
It is recommended that you schedule a visa appointment well in
advance and prior to exiting the U.S..

  Be sure to check visa appointment waiting times at the consulate
  prior to traveling.

  Also, be sure to check the hours of operation as Consulates may
  close temporarily for breaks or holidays.

If visa processing delays will interfere with your ability to resume
your studies, it is advisable to cancel your travel plans since you
may remain in the U.S. with an expired visa as long as you are
maintaining your non-immigrant status.
    Visa Renewal Security Clearances
Individuals who are citizens of certain countries or with certain
backgrounds may be subject to special security clearances that
will lengthen the visa application processing time.
• Security Check and Special Registration
  Individuals from countries identified by the U.S. Department of State as being state
  sponsors of terrorism or perceived to have nuclear capability. (Cuba, Libya, Iran, Iraq,
  North Korea, Sudan, Syria)

• Background Check
  If you have ever been arrested, or if you have a name that is the same as or similar to
  someone who has been arrested

• Technology Alert List (TAL)
  Students who are considered to be majoring in “sensitive areas of study” as
  determined by the U.S. government (e.g., physics) or from countries perceived to pose
  national security threats or nuclear capability (China, India, Israel, Pakistan, and Russia).
  A TAL delay can take several months to resolve.
      Visa Application Requirements
•   Passport—valid 6 months beyond date of re-entry
•   Valid, accurate I-20 or DS-2019 with current travel signature
•   One current 2x2 photograph (passport-sized)
•   Completed visa application forms
     • Form DS-156 (Non-Immigrant Visa Application)
     • Form DS-158 (Contact Information and Work History for Non-Immigrant Visa Applicant)
          • The new DS-160 Online, Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application, will eventually
            replace current nonimmigrant application forms DS-156, 157, 158, and other related
            forms, such as the DS-156E and 156K. Some embassies have converted to the DS-160
            Online process.
       Some Applicants:
       Also required to complete and sign Form DS-157
      Child Dependents:
      Required to submit additional form, even if they are included in a parent’s passport
•   Visa processing fee receipt or payment
•   I-901 SEVIS fee receipt or payment if for initial attendance (if applicable)
•   Embassy interview
•   Biometric procedures: Finger-scan and digital picture
     Visa Application (cont.)
Be prepared to also provide:
• Transcript and Letter of Registration
• Financial evidence indicating sufficient funds to cover tuition and living
  expenses during your program of study
     - e.g., bank statements, assistantship letter, tuition scholarship
• Evidence of binding ties to your home country
Applicants with dependents must also provide:
• Proof of relationship to F-1/J-1 (e.g., marriage license, birth certificates)
Applicants who may be subject to Technology Alert List (TAL):
• Resume including research and presentations
• Departmental letter of support noting relevance of study to TAL
Landed Immigrant applying for a U.S. visa in Canada must provide
evidence of:
• Landed Immigrant status (e.g., Permanent resident/Maple Leaf card)
• Established residency in Canada (e.g., home ownership, employment, family
It is not advisable to apply for a new U.S. visa in Canada if you cannot prove
equally strong ties to Canada and your home country
      Post-Completion Travel Advisories
After completing an F-1 program you have 60 days to depart the
U.S.; after completing a J-1 program you have 30 days to
depart the U.S. This “grace period” to depart the U.S is intended
for departure preparation and travel within the U.S .
Travel and re-entry is not permitted during the exit grace period if:
•   You have not been accepted into a new program of study (e.g., Master’s, Ph. D.) and
    received an I-20/DS-2019 for the program from the college
•   You have not received (F-1) Optional Practical Training or (J-1) Academic Training
•   You have not received a new visa for re-entry (e.g., B-2 tourist)
If you have submitted an application for OPT (pending or approved) or have
received Academic Training authorization and travel with an expired visa:
• You must obtain a new visa while abroad in order to re-enter the U.S..
     Visa issuance for individuals on practical training can be problematic since it is
     more difficult to prove compelling ties to your home country because you are
     returning to the U.S. for employment and that may be interpreted as a desire to
     obtain H-1B or permanent resident status.
       F-1: Post-Completion OPT Travel Info
If OPT has been approved, also travel with the following
   •   New, valid I-20 endorsed for OPT
   •   I-20 with current travel signature (obtained within 6 months of date of re-entry)
   •   Valid passport
   •   (Valid) F-1 visa
   •   Employment Authorization Card (EAD Card)
   •   Letter from your employer verifying your employment status

If OPT approval is pending, travel is not advised.
  If you chose to disregard this recommendation and travel, you must also carry the
  following documents:
    • New, valid I-20 endorsed for OPT
    • I-20 with current travel signature (obtained within 6 months of date of re-entry)
    • Valid passport
    • (Valid) F-1 visa
    • USCIS Service Center Receipt of OPT application
    • Letter from a U.S. employer indicating a job offer if you have received one
     J-1: Post-Completion AT Travel Info
If you plan to leave the U.S. after you complete your program
of study and re-enter the country for J-1 academic training,
you must apply for work authorization with the Coordinator of
International Education prior to exiting the U.S..
To re-enter the U.S. in J-1 student status, you must have:
• Valid DS-2019 endorsed for Academic Training
• DS-2019 with current travel signature (obtained within 6 months of date of re-
• (Valid) J-1 visa
• Valid passport
• A valid Academic Training Authorization Letter
• Job offer letter from employer
    Reminders & Travel Updates
• OIE strongly recommends that you attend a travel seminar at the
  Slutzker Center for International Services prior to departing the
  U.S. since immigration regulations change frequently

• Please submit copies of updated documents to OIE
  (e.g. new I-94 after travel, renewed passport, renewed visa)

• Be sure to keep all immigration documents together in a safe

• Be aware of immigration document expiration dates and plan
  ahead to have them renewed or updated

• Additional information on immigration issues is available on the
  OIE website:

To top