Sasha Bruce Youthwork, Inc. (SBY)
JOB TITLE: Development Associate
COMPENSATION: This is full time, benefited position with an annual salary range of $35,000
to $40,000 depending on experience.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
The mission of Sasha Bruce Youthwork is to improve the lives of homeless, abused and at-risk
youth and families in the Washington, DC area. Reporting to the Development Director, this
position works closely with the SBY Executive Director and administrative staff to implement
the agency’s corporate, foundation, and government grant writing and reporting activities. Major
areas of responsibility include: research and prospect identification; development and
stewardship of relationships with grant- making stakeholders; grant proposal writing;
implementation and management of tracking calendar; donor and prospect database
management; and administrative support for annual campaign and special fundraising and public
Reports to: Director of Development, Sasha Bruce Youthwork, Inc.
Supervises: Possible student intern(s)
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Identify and research corporate, foundation, and government funding prospects for Sasha
Bruce Youthwork (SBY) programs/projects using a variety of resources, i.e., Foundation
Center, various reports and journals, online resources, etc.
2. Review funder guidelines, as well as requests for proposals (RFP's), and determine with
the SBY Development Director their compatibility with the Development Department’s
strategic plans and the agency’s funding needs.
3. Work with the Development Director and administrative staff to develop and articulate
program narratives, goals and objectives, and project/program evaluation.
4. Write proposals and develop related project budgets and supplementary attachments for
5. Assist staff in completing periodic reports to funders on project development and
6. Initiate and maintain strong relationships with stakeholders, particularly individuals
involved with grant- making foundations and corporations.
7. Work as part of the SBY development team that strategically shapes the agency’s
direction through funding opportunities, based upon agency mission and priorities.
8. Write content and manage regular distribution of an e- mail newsletter for external
stakeholders as well as the in- house newsletter
9. Track grant proposal submissions, reapplications, periodic reports, and other pertinent
10. Generate monthly tracking reports to keep Development Director and program staff
updated on deadlines related to various aspects of the grant proposal process.
11. Perform various tasks to support the organization of the Annual Benefit Dinner and other
12. Conduct database entry to update the mailing list, foundation, and proposal information
as needed and prepare routine development department correspondence and mail merges.
13. Maintain various elements of the agency’s website.
14. Participate in on- line fundraising efforts.
15. Other writing projects and special tasks as assigned by the Development Director.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
BA or BS degree, preferably in English, journalism, or communications.
One year experience in prospecting and writing funding proposals for youth-related
Demonstrated experience in meeting project deadlines.
Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
Detail-oriented and organized.
Proficient in word processing, spreadsheet, and data base software.
Independent self-starter, capable of initiating projects both independently and as a part of
Work under pressure to meet established deadlines.
Willing and able to attend professional development programs.
Willing and able to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends, as
determined by the Development Director.
Send email message with the following attachments: cover letter, resume and one 2-page writing
sample by July 30, 2008 to:
Sasha Bruce Youthwork, Inc.
Sasha Bruce Youthwork is committed to culturally competent service delivery. People of color,
women and sexual orientation minorities are encouraged to apply.