N AME _________________________________________
STUDENT ID ____________________________________
ENGLISH II TEST
Chapter 8 - Letters & Memos That Carry Negative News
Chapter 9 - Letters & Memos that Persuade
I. FILL-IN-THE-BLANK (5 points)
Complete the following statements by writing the appropriate words in the blanks.
1. _______________________________, _____________________________
and ____________________________ are three problem words that signal to
your reader that you are going to deliver bad news.
2. Effective development of one or two central selling points in a sales letter
depends on _______________________________________________________
3. An emotional appeal to the reader is appropriate when ______________________
is the principal reason for using the indirect method.
Page 2 of 5
5. The purpose of the closing in a letter that carries negative news is_____________
II. SHORT ANSWER (15 points)
Answer the following questions in point form or short sentences.
1. What is a buffer? What are the qualities of a good buffer?
2. What is an effective closing for a sales or persuasive letter? Give an example of
an effective sentence to close a sales or persuasive letter.
3. Why is the use of the passive voice recommended when conveying bad news?
4. Identify five attention-getting techniques used in sales letters.
Page 3 of 5
5. What is the difference between writing routine claim letters and persuasive
III. WRITING IMPROVEMENT (40 points)
Revise the following poorly written messages. (5 points each)
1. Our family-owned business is struggling during these hard economic times
and we regret to inform you we can’t afford to offer refunds on store
purchases any more. Effective immediately, ALL SALES ARE FINAL. There
are no exceptions to this new store policy so please don’t ask our salespeop le.
2. Unfortunately, the number of problems and high cost of repair service due to
ignorant people using the wrong kind of overhead transparencies in the
photocopy machines means no one is permitted to make overhead
transparencies on these photocopiers.
3. I’ve just been laid off and I’m in no situation this year to donate to your
charity. Kindly don’t solicit from me in the future either.
Page 4 of 5
4. Don’t use company e- mail or Internet access for personal use. You can be
subject to immediate disciplinary action or dismissal for doing so.
5. Our cashiers have been warned by the police of the increase in counterfeit one
hundred dollar bills in circulation. Management has pre-authorized them to
refuse all purchases using suspicious looking bills.
6. Because your payment was late for the third time in a row, we must charge
you a late fee in addition to the interest charges.
7. My children will not be taking part in the inappropriate and poorly planned
field trip scheduled by their teacher. I refuse to have my children involved and
forbid their participation.
8. Due to the increase in long distance phone billing, from now on, use of the
company fax machine for sending or receiving faxes of a personal nature is
forbidden. If you have a problem with this, speak to your manager.
Page 5 of 5
IV. STRATEGY ANALYSIS (30 points)
Carefully read the accompanying authentic example of a sales/persuasive or negative
news business letter.
In several clear, concise, well-written paragraphs, analyze the letter according to the
writing strategies outlined in Essentials of Business Communication.
TOTAL _________ / 5% of Final Grade