Sponsored Research Services
Quarterly Business Meeting
December 15, 2009
Locating EXC Forms Richard Hatcher
Policy Overview Rhonda Bastian
The EXC Calendar Sharon Conley
EXC Forms Jean Kaesemeyer
SRS Contacts for EXC
PI Last Name SRS Contact Phone
A –E Sharon Conley 556-4803
F–H Richard Hatcher 556-4808
I-L Sanya Baker 556-4811
M – Si Jean Kaesemeyer 556-4814
Sj – Z Rhonda Bastian 556-4804
Locating Extra Compensation
Instructions and Forms
Click on: Policies
and Procedures on
the left side of the
Click on: Extra
Calendar and Forms
in the Policies and
A Quick Overview of EXC Forms
• The EXC Policy Form provides guidelines and
• The EXC Calendar provides dates that EXC can be
• The EXC Effort Report form provides the account
information needed to process EXC and certify the
• The Calculation Template helps you accurately
calculate the EXC payment amount.
EXC Policy Overview
• EXC is extra compensation for work performed above and beyond the
normal base salary period.
• Federal rules and regulations do not allow for an individual’s institutional
base salary to be increased as a result of obtaining grant funding.
• These federal rules and regulations also restrict the payment of
overload, bonus or other payments outside the base salary.
• Our Policy Guidelines for Extra Compensation follow:
– UC’s general policy regarding allowability of supplemental compensation
– OMB Circular A-21
– Agency Policy Guidelines
• Defines the EXC research year
• Lists which faculty can (and cannot) earn EXC
• Explains effort reporting
• When EXC payment requests should be made
• How BAs should initiate EXC request
• Details account code and funding requirements
• Maximum EXC allowed
• Specific agency limits that effect EXC
• In addition to the SRS Website -
• Government Cost Compliance Website:
– Institutional Base Salary
– UC Financial Policies
– Allowable/Unallowable Charges
The EXC Calendar
EXC Calendar Guidelines
• The EXC calendar provides the dates when faculty can
• The EXC research year begins 09/01 and ends 08/31
• All Required Signatures MUST be present or the form will
• Effort Report Forms must record hours by month and are
due in SRS Accounting Division by the due dates listed on
• The calendar has been revised to reflect the FY2010
Payroll PCR cutoff date.
EXC Guidelines cont.
• EXC payment request e-mails can be submitted monthly
but must be received by SRS Accounting Division no later
than 45 days after the award end date dates or by the
payment request due date, whichever is earlier.
• EXC payment requests cannot be honored if the Effort
Report is NOT Received by the Due Date.
• Maximum Allowable EXC paid during an EXC year is
14/32 of the adjusted annual base salary = 560 hours.
• University Policy does NOT permit Advances on EXC. All
days reported after the earliest signature date must be
resubmitted for payment.
• WITHOUT EXCEPTION: Hand Drawn Check Requests
will not be issued to pay EXC.
The EXC Effort
• This is a downloadable spreadsheet
to be used to report Extra
Compensation Effort. It consists of
three sheets identified by the tabs at
the bottom of the spreadsheet.
• Refer to the EXC Calendar for
monthly hour maximums, Effort
Report and Payment deadlines
• Send completed form as PDF
attachment to email@example.com
• THIS IS NOT A PAYMENT FORM.
AN E-MAIL REQUEST MUST BE
SUBMITTED FOR PAYMENT !
The Calculation Template
Example of a
Effort Report form
Effort Report Instructions
• Complete instructions on how to complete the form and how to properly
submit it to SRS Accounting are located on the sheet of the EXC Effort
Report Form labeled EXC Report For
• Business Administrators initiate request for EXC payment by email –
• A separate email request should be sent for each EXC period being
• Once email is sent you should receive a confirmation by email from the
SRS GA that your EXC was processed. If not contact the GA
• Required information should be in the following format:
• Do send your EXC within a reasonable
time frame to receive a confirmation
• That way if it hasn’t be received there will still be
time to complete it if it was missed
• Don’t send more than one request per
• SRS Accounting could take it as a duplicate.