NEVADA STATE REHABILITATION COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES Nevada State Legislature 401 S Carson Street Room 3143

Document Sample
NEVADA STATE REHABILITATION COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES Nevada State Legislature 401 S Carson Street Room 3143 Powered By Docstoc
					                    NEVADA STATE REHABILITATION COUNCIL
                                  MEETING MINUTES
                 Nevada State Legislature, 401 S. Carson Street, Room 3143
                                      Carson City, NV
        Grant Sawyer Building, 555 E. Washington Street, Room 4412, Las Vegas, NV
                                      March 24, 2006


MEMBERS PRESENT:                                 MEMBERS ABSENT:
Christine Brady                                  Barbara Cegavske
Dr. Mick Coleman                                 Ed Guthrie
Gary Cottino                                     Bill Murphy
Mary Evilsizer
Joel Feldman                                     GUESTS:
Mandy LeBlanc                                    Robert Desruisseaux, Division for
Denyse Lizer                                     Aging Services
Karla McComb
Margaret Moroun                                  STAFF:
Jean Peyton                                      Bob Bryant, Deputy Attorney General
Chris Syverson                                   Cecilia Colling, Deputy Administrator
Dr. Tom Venardos                                 Operations
Gillian Wells                                    Gayle Sherman, Deputy Administrator
Ronnie Wilson                                    Programs
                                                 Howard Castle, Rehabilitation Manager III
                                                 Bill Boster, Rehabilitation Manager II
                                                 Janice John, District Manager, Southern NV
                                                 Pamela June, Chief, ODEP
                                                 Donna Sanders, AAIII

EXHIBITS:
Nevada State Rehabilitation Council Minutes of January 13, 2006
Nevada State Rehabilitation Council (NSRC) State Plan Committee minutes of February 10,
2006
NSRC Recommendations on the goals for the State Plan
Vocational Rehabilitation Program State Plan
Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation Proposed Policy on Self-employment
Presentation on Rural Rehabilitation
Report on Outcomes and Decisions from Fair Hearings
Attorney/Client Privilege between the DETR Deputy Attorney General and DETR
Letter on Transition Forum and the Interagency Transition Advisory Board
Administrator’s Report and Performance Indicators for BA 3265 and BA 3254
Ticket to Work Summary through January 31, 2006
Nevada State Rehabilitation Council Budget with possible adjustments
Aging and Disability Resource Center Program and Job Descriptions
Proposed NSRC Calendar through December 8, 2006.

I.     ROLL CALL AND CONFIRMATION OF QUORUM:
       Chair Karla McComb called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m. Donna Sanders read the
       roll call and there was a quorum present.
Page Two
NSRC Meeting Minutes
March 24, 2006


II.    VERIFICATION OF POSTING:
       Donna Sanders verified that the posting was accomplished on time.

III.   WELCOME AND INTRODUCTIONS:
       Karla McComb welcomed everyone to the meeting. The guests introduced themselves.

IV.    DISCUSSION/POSSIBLE ACTION ON THE APPROVAL OF THE JANUARY
       13, 2006 MEETING MINUTES AND FEBRUARY 10, 2006 STATE PLAN
       COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES.
       Jean Peyton moved to approve the minutes as written. Mary Evilsizer seconded the
       motion. The motion passed unanimously.

V.     DISCUSSION/POSSIBLE ACTION ON RECOMMENDED GOALS FOR FFY06
       FROM THE STATE PLAN COMMITTEE.
       Mary Evilsizer directed the Council to the goals on the State Plan and read the five goals
       and one supported employment goal.

       Gillian Wells asked about percentages of the category indicating minority individuals
       with disabilities in goal number three. Gayle Sherman explained the percentage of white
       to nonwhites being 63% to 37%.

       Mary Evilsizer read goal number 4, goal number 5, and the supported employment goal
       number 1.

       Dr. Tom Venardos moved to accept the goals recommended by the NSRC State Plan
       Committee. Jean Peyton seconded the motion. Gillian Wells asked about including 504
       students in the plan. Karla McComb asked whether the Committee included information
       in the needs assessment in the development of the goals. Gayle Sherman referred the
       Council to section 4.12(d) and explained the strategies and the needs. She explained that
       504 students are designated for the school district, not vocational rehabilitation.

       The Council agreed the goal is a broad definition and is measurable, and the actions, and
       benchmarks are outlined in the State Plan. Karla McComb recommended there be an
       update quarterly on the State Plan goals. The motion passed unanimously.

XII.   OTHER REPORTS: (Agenda Item XII taken out of order at the request of NSRC
       Chair).
       A. STATEWIDE INDEPENDENT LIVING COUNCIL:
          Mary Evilsizer reported that the Southern Independent Living Council is almost out
          of funds for the year. With the new fiscal year, there will be approximately $450,000
          coming in from state funds and on October 1, the federal fiscal year and other
          $150,000 will be coming in. Mary said there should be additional donations such as
          Ameristar Casinos who had donated $172,000.
Page Three
Nevada State Rehabilitation Council Meeting Minutes
March 24, 2006

VI.    PRESENTATION AND DISCUSSION OF FFY06 STATE PLAN.
       Gayle Sherman directed the Council to the draft of the State Plan and suggested taking
       each section, point out any changes and opening it up for comment. Following are the
       comments.

       ·      Attachment 4.2 (c). Summary of Input and Recommendations of the State
               Rehabilitation Council. No comments or questions.
       ·      Attachment 4.9 (c). Interagency Cooperation with Other Agencies and Entities.
              Gillian Wells asked about the job developers and the pay schedule.
              Cecilia Colling replied the fee for service arrangement is an arrangement where
              any qualified individual who wishes to provide service to the division for the
              preset fees can participate. There are no certification requirements for the job
              developers. There are staged payments for the job developers. In regard to job
              coaching, assessments are done on an hourly fee basis that is set with the
              Medicaid-Medicare fee level.

              Gillian Wells asked about developing a program on certification of job
              developers. Cecilia Colling answered BVR is looking at the fee for service
              agreements to see if they can be improved.

       ·      Attachment 4.11(b) Comprehensive System of Personnel Development.
              Gillian Wells requested the wording students with disabilities be used instead of
              special education students.
              Jean Peyton requested the acronyms be explained.
       ·      Attachment 4.12 (a) Results of Comprehensive Statewide Assessment of the
              Rehabilitation Needs of Individuals with Disabilities and Need to Establish,
              Develop or Improve Community Rehabilitation Programs.
              Chris Syverson asked about the word, Other, in Type of Disability. Cecilia
              Colling remarked the survey instrument was vague on this; however, there will be
              another meeting with the survey team to obtain some better quality results.
              Jean Peyton said she would like to see the wording, this is not truly a
              comprehensive needs assessment of people with disabilities. Cecilia Colling said
              she would call Jean Peyton and work on the wording.
              Joel Feldman questions the combining of American Indian and Asian on page 4.
              Gayle Sherman said she would ask Pam Gallion.

Karla McComb declared a 15 minute break at 10:25 a.m. The meeting was called back to order
at 10:40 a.m.
        ·     Attachment 4.12 (b) Annual Estimates. There were no comments or questions.
        ·     Attachment 4.12 (c) (1) State Goals and Priorities
              Gayle Sherman said this is a look back and forward document. The BVR reports
              on the old goals and then they fall off and the new goals are in place.
        ·     Attachment 4.12 (c)(3) Goals and Plans for the Distribution of Supported
              Employment Funds.
Page Four
Nevada State Rehabilitation Council Meeting Minutes
March 24, 2006


              Gillian Wells requested there be “People First” language throughout the State
              Plan.

       ·      4.12 (d) describes the strategies, including those identified in section 101 (a) (15)
              (D) of the Act and the innovation and expansion activities of paragraph 4.13 (a) of
              this State Plan, the Designated State unit (DSU) will use.
              Gayle Sherman said this is referring to the needs assessment and it is a new
              document, which identifies three areas that were taken from the needs assessment.
              Gillian Wells remarked the goals look like the same goals that are on the State
               Plan. Gayle Sherman replied the goals are similar. The purpose of the
               attachment is to indicate the needs that were identified by the needs assessment or
              the survey documents.
       ·      Attachment 4.12 (e) Evaluation and Reports of Progress.
              Jean Peyton remarked there is a lot of material to read and asked if there would be
              an opportunity to make comments. Gayle Sherman requested the Council to give
              her a call if they had questions or comments. Gayle said she will need to have
              all of the modifications in to her at least ten days prior to the meeting so members
              of the Council have an opportunity to review them.
       ·      Attachment 4.13 Innovation and Expansion (Section 101 (a) (18) of the Act)
              There were no questions or comments.
              Attachment 7.3: Quality, Scope, and Extent of Supported Employment Services
              There were no questions or comments.

Karla McComb had one typo correction. In section 4.13, second paragraph, please remove the
word “of” after Easter Seals.

VII.   DISCUSSION/POSSIBLE ACTION ON REHABILITATION PROPOSED
       POLICY ON SELF-EMPLOYMENT.
       Howard Castle gave an overview of the proposed Policy on Self-employment.

       Jean Peyton asked about the Blind Enterprise Program where money is given back from
       the vendor to the State. Howard Castle replied that the Bureau of Vocational
       Rehabilitation (BVR) is not a bank, but they do provide some start-up costs. Cecilia
       Colling clarified that VR is not authorized in the statute to provide a loan.

       Jean Peyton referred to item number 7 in the proposed plan. She suggested there be a
       talking point about when the client will be notified of the recommendation.

       Christine Brady inquired about licensing issues on the summary of activity required.
       Joe Feldman asked about one having a license to practice a trade or profession, or just a
       business license. Howard Castle answered a business license would be required for
       someone to have self-employment.
Page Five
Nevada State Rehabilitation Council Meeting Minutes
March 24, 2006

       Gary Cottino inquired as to who would be used as experts to help assist in development
       of the business plan. Howard Castle replied, BVR would probably send a notice to the
       community Micro Enterprises, Small Business Administration, UNLV projects and other
       available entities.

       Gary Cottino moved to support the DSU in following up with the Self-employment
       proposed Policy with the proposed amendments. Chris Syverson seconded the motion.
       All were in favor.


VIII. PRESENTATION ON RURAL REHABILITATION
      Denyse Lizer gave an overview of life in the rural counties for people with disabilities.
      (See Exhibit on Rural Rehabilitation).

IX.    DISCUSSION/POSSIBLE ACTION ON RESULTS OF NSRC TRAINING NEEDS
       SURVEY
       Chris Syverson said the Training Needs Survey responses pointed to two areas where
       Council members would like additional training. The first would be the Federal
       Rehabilitation Act. The second would be the new Interagency Transition Advisory Board
       (ITAB).

       Chris Syverson thanked the Council members who wrote in topics they would like to see.
       (See attached Responses).

X.     DISCUSSION ITEM: DESKTOP ICON TO BE PLACED ON RESOURCE
       ROOM COMPUTER DESKTOPS AT ALL SOUTHERN NEVADA
       JOBCONNECT OFFICES TO DIRECT CLIENTS TO THE SOUTHERN
       NEVADA CENTER FOR INDEPENDENT LIVING’S ONLINE RESOURCE
       GUIDE.
       Karla McComb stated the Southern Nevada Center for Independent Living has a listing
       of resources for the disability community and the desktop icon would make the resources
       listing accessible to the Job Connect offices in southern Nevada.

XI.    DISCUSSION/POSSIBLE ACTION ON INFORMING NSRC OF OUTCOMES
       AND DECISIONS FROM DUE PROCESS HEARINGS.
       Bob Bryant directed the Council to the copy of Federal Regulations in their packet and
       redacted copies from the due process hearings involving BVR clients. He asked the
       Council how they would like to receive due process hearing information in the future.

       Gary Cottino moved to have the outcomes and decisions from due process hearings as a
       line item for every meeting. Joel Feldman seconded the motion. All were in favor.
Page Six
Nevada State Rehabilitation Council Meeting Minutes
March 24, 2006

XII.   DISCUSSION ITEM ON ATTORNEY/CLIENT PRIVILEGE BETWEEN THE
       DETR DEPUTY ATTORNEY GENERAL AND THE DEPARTMENT OF
       EMPLOYMENT, TRAINING AND REHABILITATION.
       Bob Bryant informed the Council if a civil action is filed against DETR, they have to
       name the State of Nevada and DETR. He said pursuant to state law, attorney-client
       privilege attaches between the Attorney General’s Office and DETR.

       Bob Bryant clarified that information regarding a civil action cannot be given to the
       Council due to the Council not being the client under the law.

The council took a break at 10:40 A.M. and resumed at 10:52 a.m.

       Christine Brady asked Bob Bryant if someone comes to a meeting and during the public
       comment phase brings out some broad issues is the Council at liberty to discuss broad
       issues either in the closed session or in an open session.

       Bob Bryant replied there are few limitations on public comment and people can make
       comments they deem appropriate. If one hears in public comment of a problem that
       might exist at DETR, a member could discuss with DETR staff a potential remedy. Bob
       Bryant answered one can always talk generically. He said in general you can address
       problems, but not get into the specifics of the facts and the specific legal analysis of a
       specific case.

XIII. OTHER REPORTS:
      A. Interagency Transition Advisory Board (ITAB)
         Gillian Wells said there will be another meeting on Thursday, March 30. The board is
         looking at strategic planning accountability committee goals, and then prioritization.
         Gillian said ITAB is also looking at the millennium scholarship and 504 students
         versus special education students. In addition ITAB is looking at the interlocal
         between higher education and vocational rehabilitation.

       B. Discussion/Possible Action on the future of The Funnel, an electronic newsletter
          on transitioning students.
          Gillian Wells stated if ITAB can get funding from the NSRC, then ITAB could
          submit the articles and have the Funnel published. Gary Cottino remarked since the
          Legislature is funding the board, then the activity of the board should be funded by
          the Legislature and the Legislature should support the funnel, and not the NSRC.

          Gillian Wells said she would take the information to the board, see what their input is
          and then bring it back to the NSRC.

XIV. ADMINISTRATOR’S REPORT
     A. Review of the Rehabilitation Division’s Performance Indicators.
     B. Review of the Ticket to Work Program Statistics.
Page Seven
Nevada State Rehabilitation Council Meeting Minutes
March 24, 2006

       Dr. Mick Coleman gave an over view of the ongoing activities in the Rehabilitation
       Division.

       Gillian Wells requested a report on the 116 hours that is allotted to a Bureau of
       Vocational Rehabilitation client requiring community-based assessments for the next
       meeting. She requested that the policy be attached to the next agenda

XV.    DISCUSSION/POSSIBLE ACTION ON THE COUNCIL’S SFY 2006 BUDGET
       AND SUGGESTED ADJUSTMENTS:
       Cecilia Colling directed the Council to the budget and the report and said it was her
       understanding that the Council wanted to have additional travel funds, additional meeting
       funds, and also to support the publishing of Spanish transition student brochures.

       Gillian Wells moved to have the Council support the recommendation to enhance their
       budget. Christine Brady seconded the motion. All were in favor.

XVI. PRESENTATION ON A GRANT RECEIVED FOR THE DIVISION OF AGING
     SERVICES AND TO SEEK MEMBERSHIP FOR THE ADRC ADVISORY
     BOARD.
     Robert Desruisseaux gave an overview of the Aging and Disability Resource Centers
     (ADRC) where individuals in need can access a one-stop, single point of entry system for
     long-term care services. He said the ADRC is looking for members for their advisory
     board and long-term care workforce subcommittee. He asked the Council to consider
     serving on the board or a sub-committee and also share this information with anyone they
     may feel might have an interest.

       Robert Desruisseaux stated his new address and phone number are on the last page of the
       Powerpoint presentation should anyone want to contact him. Gillian Wells
       recommended Santa Perez as a board member and requested Robert contact her.

XVII. DISCUSSION/POSSIBLE ACTION ON THE APPROVAL OF MEETING DATES
      FOR 2006:
      After the Council reviewed the revised meeting dates, Gillian Wells moved to accept the
      new dates and Dr. Tom Venardos seconded the motion. Chris Syverson noted the June
      meeting has been cancelled. All were in favor.

XVIII. PUBLIC COMMENTS:
       Christine Brady announced she was resigning from the Council. Gary Cottino,
       recommended Christine formally send a letter of resignation to the Chair.

XVIX. ADJOURNMENT:
      There being no further business, Gary Cottino adjourned the meeting at 12:45 p.m.
Page Eight
Nevada State Rehabilitation Council Meeting Minutes
March 24, 2006



Recorded by:


Denise Phipps, Captions Unlimited


Edited by:


Pamela June, Chief, Office of Disability Employment Policy

Approved by:



Karla McComb, Chair

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Description: State of Nevada Attorney General document sample