Welcome to PowerPoint 2003
• To use a slide template, just go to
Format >> Slide Design.
• Many design templates will appear
in the right pane.
• This template (“chalk”) is from
Design Templates on Microsoft
Adding New Slides
• To add a new slide, go to Insert >>
• If you need a different layout for the
new slide, go to Format >> Slide
Layout. You can choose your
layout from the pane on the right.
• Go to Slide Show >> Custom
• In the Custom Animation pane, click
• Choose Entrance >> More Effects
(this will show you the entire list of
• This text is entering with the Thread
• It is set to enter on a mouse click
instead of automatically
• If you want animation to be
automatic, change the Start option
under Modify Effect (in the Custom
• These animations are set to occur
after the previous action.
• The speed is set at Fast.
• To slow down animation, change
the Speed option under Modify
• To change the amount of time
between automatic animation, click
the drop-down arrow next to the
animation (in the Custom Animation
pane) and choose Timing.
• PowerPoint 2003 has the added
feature of animations for exit and
• It also has Motion Paths – free
hand animation of objects!
can’t sit still!!
I See YaI’m here!!
• To Insert movie clips, go to Insert
>> Movies and Sounds.
• From the clip organizer, just drag
• You can also
insert a saved
(movie from file).
will ask you if
you want it to
You can even add formatting just like still images.
• To create slide transitions, go to
Slide Show >> Slide Transition.
• Choose options for animation,
speed, sound, and advancing.
• You can choose to apply a
transition to all slides or just one.
• Transitions affect the entrance of
• To add sound to a slide, go to Insert >>
Movies and Sounds.
• You can set the timing on sounds from
• By the way, the little speaker symbol
for the sound can be placed off of the
page so it doesn’t show in the
• To add music in the background of
several slides, go to custom
animation and Effect Options.
• This one is set to stop after 5 slides.
• You can also add sound effects by
going to Slide Show >> Action
• You can choose actions on a
mouse click or just a mouse-over.
• PowerPoint will edit most clip art.
• Insert clip art and use the Picture
Toolbar to edit the pic.
• If you want to save an image or
picture, you can choose to Save As
a .jpg (better for photos) or .gif
(better for clip art).
• It will ask you if you want to save all
slides or just one, so you can edit
and save more than one pic at a
Setting up a show
• To set up a PowerPoint show for a
specific audience, go to Slide Show
>> Set Up Show.
• Options like screen size, looping,
what slides to include, and control
of advancement can let you tailor a
single file for several shows.
Saving Your Presentation
• Save as a Presentation (.ppt) first – this
is the file that you can edit easily.
• Save as a PowerPoint Show (.pps) for
• Save as a Web Site (.htm or .html) to
add your slides to the web. NOTE: most
of the animation and transitions won’t
work. NOTE2: You must keep the web
page folder with the web page or your
page won’t work!!!