Bill of Sale Form Trailer by byo11733

VIEWS: 2,578 PAGES: 62

More Info
									        New Hampshire
City & Town Clerks‟ Association
        New Clerk Workshop
           April 5, 2010

• Principal place of abode
• Where you vote
• Where your children go to school
• Where you file your federal income tax
• Proof of residency includes a utility bill,
  statement from your landlord or copy of
  your deed
• See Residency Affidavit

               New Registrations
• Customer must have a certificate of origin, title
  or dealer prepared title application to register a
  vehicle with a model year of 1996 and newer
• Vehicles exempt from title are those with a
  model year of 1995 and older. The following is
  needed to register an exempt vehicle:
   – VIN Verification Form 19A, or
   – photocopy of title, or
   – copy of current or expired NH registration and (out of
     state registration not allowed)
• Bill of Sale -only needs to be seen by Town
  Clerk. Do not send in.
                 New Registrations
• Town Fees based on List Price
   – Look up list price in Red Book using the make and
     model and year of the vehicle
   – Use list price in column headed Fact. SRP
     Do not use Avg. Retail Value
   – Add on miscellaneous equipment for trucks, if
   – Round to nearest hundred ($50+ round up)
   – If list price is not in red book call the dealer or ask
     customer if they have the sticker price that was on
     window                                                4
          What are mill rates?
A mill equals 1/1000 of a dollar and is charged on
  each dollar of the vehicle retail list price
• A vehicle is charged 12 months at each mill rate
  based on the vehicle model year
• Model Year 2010/2011                =      18 mills
• 2009                                =      15 mills
• 2008                                =      12 mills
• 2007                                =      09 mills
• 2006                                =      06 mills
• 2005                                =      03 mills

              Mill Rates cont‟d
A 14-month registration of a 2010 vehicle with a
  list price of $10,000 would be charged
12 months @ 18 mills =$180.00
02 months @ 15 mills =$ 25.00
+ $1.00 town clerk fee + $2.50/$3.00 municipal
  agent fee + $2.00 title fee, if applicable
Title fee is charged for preparing title or accepting
  blue copy of dealer title application
                State Fees
• State fees are based on weight
  – 0-3000 lbs $2.60 per mo. + surcharge $30.00
  – 3001-5000 lbs $3.60 mo. + surcharge $30.00
  – 5001-8000 lbs $4.60 mo. + surcharge $45.00
• For cars use shipping weight plus 150 lbs per
• For Trucks and sport utility vehicles use GVW in
  Red Book
• Plates cost $4.00 for one, $8.00 a set
• Title application fee is $25.00

   Preparing a Title Application
• When a customer brings in title from private
  sale, signed over to him Clerk prepares title
• Check back of title to make sure it is signed over
• Look for buyer and seller signatures and
  odometer reading
• Only dealers are allowed to sign over a title
  multiple times
• Staple title application on top of title and any
  supporting documentation

• Same vehicle and same owner
• Due in birth month of registrant or month assigned
  for the first letter of business, lease or trust
• All renewals are for 12 months
• If previous registration has:
  – 7 months @15 mills
  – 5 months @12 mills
  Renewal would be:
  – 7 months @12 mills
  – 5 months @ 9 mills

            Renewals (cont‟d)
• Renewals may be done up to 4 months
  early (includes month of expiration)
• Late renewals
   – must charge 12 months regardless of
     when registrant comes in. If registrant
     comes in during the 12th month you
     must charge for the past 12 months

            Plate Changes
           Reversal of Names
• Plate changes and reversal of names are done
  in the month of renewal
• Plate changes are allowed for veterans returning
  from overseas who wish to obtain a veteran
• Reversal of Names-must have written statement
  from primary owner granting permission to swap
  names-include in back of document pile
• Don‟t forget to issue new month decals because
  expiration date is changing

Transfer Types:

  •Same owner to same owner
  •Lease to Owner
  •Owner to Lease
  •Lease to Lease
  •Surviving Partner

• When a customer wants to use the same plates
  and decals on a different vehicle he may do a
  – If the old registration is from NH
  – If it has the same first owner
  – (Exceptions: Lease to owner, owner to lease, lease
    to lease and surviving spouse)
  – If it has not expired
  – If the plate has not previously been on the vehicle
    being transferred to

                Transfers (cont‟d)
• Monetary credit is given from old vehicle to new
   – Expiration date must remain same
      oExcept in cases of lease/lease, owner/lease,
       lease/owner and surviving partner transfers
      oCan do a one month transfer and 12-month
       renewal on the same vehicle on the same day
      oCustomer MUST have current original
         oMust pay $15.00 for a certified copy if they
           have lost original registration
               Transfers   (cont‟d)

• Same plate number and decal number are
  used on new registration
• A second name may be added or deleted
  depending on the names on new title (order
  on title does not matter)
• Fee calculation for Town is new vehicle fee
  less credit for remaining months on old
  vehicle + $5.00 transfer fee + $1.00 town
  clerk fee + $2.00 title fee, if applicable + MA
  fee, if applicable
     Calculating Transfer Credit
           RSA 261:150
• Calculate the number of months from the
  present month to the expiration date of old
  – This is the number of months of credit that will
    be given
• Starting with bottom mill rate calculate the
  per month registration fee

          Calculating Credit
• Example of 5-month transfer
• Old vehicle was charged
  – 9 months @ 15 mills
  – 3 months @ 12 mills
• Credit given will be
  – 3 months @ 12 mills
  – 2 months @ 15 mills

              Transfers   (cont‟d)

• Fee for State is calculated in similar
  – State transfer fee is $25.00 + surcharge +
    $25.00 title fee if town clerk prepared
  – If vehicle goes up in weight category
    charge $1.00 per month, per category
  – 0-3000 lbs $2.60 per mo.
  – 3001-5000 lbs $3.60 mo.
  – 5001-8000 lbs $4.60 mo
               Transfers    (cont‟d)

• Do not staple old and new registrations
  together, put in numerical order in document
• Municipal Agents send white copy of title
  application in with supporting documentation
  and retain town clerk copy.
• Keep Town Clerk copy only of title and
  registration (old style) if sending customer to
  motor vehicle substation to complete
             Transfers   (cont‟d)

• Lease Vehicle Transfers and Surviving
  Partner Transfers are the only time when a
  transfer can be made where the first
  owner of original registration does not
  match the first owner of new registration
• Municipal Agents may process Owner to
  Lease, Lease to Owner, Lease to Lease
  and surviving partner transfers.

        Owner to Lease &
     Lease to Owner Transfers
• Can be transferred if first name on old
  registration will be second name on
  leased vehicle registration
• Or, if second name on leased vehicle
  will be first name on new registration
• Leasing company is the lessor and is
  listed as first owner
• Lessee is listed as second owner

            Lease Transfers
• On registration the address of the leasing
  company is legal address and address of
  owner/driver is mailing address
• On title the address of the leasing company is
  listed first as mailing address and then the
  lessee‟s name and address
• Calculate months and amount of credit on old
• New registration expiration date will be based on
  the first letter of the Leasing Company name on
  owner to lease

           Lease Transfers
• If expiration on transfer would be less than
  5 months, always extend the expiration of
  the new registration by 12 months
• There are no 17-month transfers, only 13,
  14, 15 or 16 months
• Sometimes number of months credit is
  more than charged. No refunds given.
• Transfer can be to same vehicle if
  customer purchased his leased vehicle
    Lease to Lease Transfers
• Transfer can go from one leasing
  company to a different leasing company, if
  the second owner remains the same
• Expiration date usually changes and new
  month decals are issued
• If transfer is from one lease company to
  same lease company it is considered
  regular transfer and is considered a
  regular renewal
     Surviving Partner/Rights of
      Survivorship-RSA 261:17
• The surviving partner may drive on old
  registration and plates until they expire
• Must submit copy of death certificate and
  title, if they have it
• If title has lienholder, must go through
  lienholder to re-title
• Must re-title, do not charge $25.00, unless
  adding a lienholder or a name
• If surviving partner comes in during month
  of renewal or earlier:
• Prepare title at no charge
• Prepare registration as a survivorship
• Use same plates, month of expiration will
  change and new month decals issued


• Transfer credits are allowed
• Example-Old registration expires in
  December (deceased birth month)
  survivor‟s birth month is November and
  transfer is done in October. Charge 14
  months for new reg (Oct-Nov) Transfer
  credit for 3 months (Oct-Dec)

• If surviving partner comes in after registration
• If there are two owners do as a renewal
   – Swap the names to make the deceased individual
      the second owner and then delete that individual
• If there is one owner
   – Release the plates and key as new or;
   – Issue new plates and key as new
• Issue new month decals for the plates.
• Figure mill rate as if a new purchase
           Trusts RSA 261:62
• Titled in trust name only (need to send in 1st and
  last page of trust paperwork)
• May be registered in one of three ways
   – Name of Trust Only with expiration date of June
     the letter “J” (for John) like a company
       • Ex. John Smith Revocable Trust of 2009
   – Smith, John as first owner, using his birth month
     for expiration, and trust as second owner
   – Smith, Mary as first owner, using her birth
     month for expiration, and trust as second owner
• Vehicles going from personal name into
  trust must have appropriate assignments
  on back of title, considered a change of
• Browser towns no longer need to dummy
  on title in MAAP
• Browser towns do not list trustees on title
  but vendor towns do
• Transfer credits are allowed
       Corporations & DBA‟s
• Corporations and LLC‟s, are registered
  using first letter of business name as
• Check to make sure they are registered
  and in good standing with the Secretary of
  State at
• DBA‟s must be listed as second owner
  Don‟t need SOS approval for those
• Address changes done with on-line towns
  or substation, customer must provide
   – DSMV503-Corporate Name/Address
     Change signed by authorized person
     with proof of address change and
     authorization (Letterhead, business
• Cannot change address of leasing
     Motorcycles RSA 259:63
• Use list price in Power Sport Vehicle Blue
  Book for town fees, weight is not needed
• State fee is $2.08 per month plus $1.00 for
  Safety Fund
• Transfer fee is $25.00 plus the $1.00
  safety fund fee.
• Title needed for model year 1996 and
• Motorcycle license necessary to drive
  cycle with 50‟cc‟s or more                 33
• Motorcycle plate fee is $4.00
• IMOTO plates are allowed 5 character with
  the exception of initial veteran plates
  which have four characters
• Veteran, handicap and purple heart
  motorcycle plates are available
• Inspections are done annually in June

       Mopeds RSA 259:57
• 1 Moped plate issued at substations
• There are no town fees for mopeds
• Municipal Agents are allowed to renew
  mopeds and collect the municipal agent
• No titles needed for mopeds
• Mopeds do not require inspection

          Trailers RSA 259:5
• Includes campers, 5th wheel, utility, and
  snowmobile trailers
• List price and weights can be obtained at
• Trailers 3001 lbs (GVW) and greater, model year
  1996 and newer, require title or certificate of
• Trailers 3001 lbs (GVW) and greater, model year
  1995 and older require bill of sale and VIN
  verification (Form 19A), copy of NH registration
  or copy of title.

   Homemade Trailers (TRAI)
• Homemade trailers 3001 lbs and greater need:
   – Highway inspection
   – Statement of Construction Form
   – Form 19A
• NH Inspections done at Salvage & Overweight
  Certification locations
• After inspection, Officer issues NH VIN for
  $30.00 and gives customer form DSMV547

• Home made trailers & manufactured
  trailers 3000 lbs and less, with no VIN,
  need a TDMV19A form stating VIN is
• NHTR VIN is then issued by Town Clerk or
• Use weight chart for state fees
• Make is HMDE
            Motor Homes
• Issue 2 PASS plates (IPASS and ICPAS
• Body style-MTRHM
• Inspections done yearly by July 1
• Make is based on manufacturer of chassis
  or „truck‟ part
• Model is based on manufacturer of „home‟
            Motor Homes
• As of January 2009 the Recreational
  Vehicle Blue Book will no longer be
• List price and weights can be obtained at or call 1-800-
  964-4617 to sign up for fee of $49.00
• The price is $49.00 for NH Town Clerks
  (Make sure to mention you are a NH Town
              Motor Homes
• Titles needed for 1996 and newer
• VIN verification 19A for 1995 and older
• New motor homes may have two
  certificate of origins; one for the truck part
  and one for home part. Send both in.
• Use newer CO for model year on title and

   Antique Vehicle RSA 259:4
• Vehicle must be 25 years old
  – In its 26th year
  – In 2010, 1984 and older qualify
• Town fee based on list price
• State fee is $.50 per month for cars and
  trucks, $.20 per month for trailers and
  motorcycles (plus $1.00 for motorcycle
  safety fund).
      Antique Motor Vehicles
• 2 ANTI plates issued from Concord
• IANTI plates may have up to six
• IANTI plates may be processed by
  Municipal Agents providing customer is
  going from an ANTI to IANTI
• Antique trailer and antique motorcycle
  plates are available.
• Antique tractor plates do not exist.
              Antique Titles
• Upon request by customer, the following shall be
  required with a title application TDMV23
  prepared by town clerk
• A prior NH or out of state title.
• Or if a title doesn‟t exist, a prior NH or out of
  state original registration and VIN Verification
  Form TDMV19a
• Or a copy of a NH registration and the TDMV19a
• If none of the above are available, a notarized
  TDMV105 Affidavit of Ownership and TDMV19a

   Farm Tractors RSA 261:83
• 1 TRAC plate
• Antique tractor plates and vanity
  tractor plates do not exist
• State fees are $.15 per month
• Farm tractors are not titled

   Farm Tractors RSA 261:83
• Town fees are the minimum local fees
• The farm tractor must be used exclusively
  for agricultural purposes
• If farm tractor is used for hire it is
  considered construction equipment
• Lawn mowers cannot be registered to
  travel on the road if they do not have
  stoplights, turn signals, etc.
 Agricultural Vehicles RSA 261:82
• Town fees are the minimum $5.00 plus
  town clerk and MA fees
• To be eligible for AGRI plates the vehicle
  must be used solely for agricultural and
  farming purposes and may only travel
  within a 20 mile radius of the farm.
• Town shall have applicant sign affidavit
  stating they fully understand the limitations
  concerning the use of the vehicle.
       Agricultural Vehicles
• 2 AGRI plates substations and some
  MA locations
• State fee is $.30 per month
• Vehicles registered with AGRI plates
  need to be inspected annually but the
  inspection requirements are limited

Large Trucks

             Large Trucks
• PASS plates for trucks up to 26,000 lbs.
• COMM plates for trucks over 26,000 lbs.
   – Commercial plates are available at
• APRO plates are for trucks that travel in
  other states and engage in interstate
   – All APRO State work is processed in
     Concord or Twin Mt. DMV substation
             Large Trucks
• Large Trucks include F450, F600, Dump
  Trucks, Logging Trucks, Peterbilt‟s,
  Kenworth‟s, etc.
• Heavy Trucks are those with 3 or more
• Light Trucks no more than 2 axles.
• Tractor-trailer is truck-tractor and semi-
• See definitions chart
             Large Trucks
• List price is found in the Truck Blue Book
  which is divided into three categories
  – Heavy Duty, Medium Duty, and Light Duty
• Begin with make and model
• Portion of VIN is listed with model
• If necessary, ask customer for assistance
  finding correct model
• Suggested Factory Price is used for list
  price of truck tractor
              Large Trucks
• Weight is based on the number of axles of
  truck-tractor or truck tractor and semi
  trailer combined (weight + what it carries)
• State has limits on amount of weight Town
  can put on registration. To be safe use
  GVW in blue book.
• Customer usually gets overweight
  certification to add/change the weight on
• Overweight locations in binder
               Large Trucks
• Maximum weight allowed without overweight
• 2 axle truck-33,400 lbs
• 3 axle truck-55,000 lbs
• 4 axle truck-60,000 lbs
• 5 or more axle truck-tractor-80,000 lbs
• Town clerk cannot put more than 80,000 lbs on
  a registration
• MAAP will give error of „Gross Weight is greater
  than axles allowed‟.
              Large Trucks
• Trucks 18,001 lbs and greater with 3 axles
  need to be titled regardless of year
• Trucks 18,001 lbs and greater with 2 axles
  are only titled for 15 years
• Example:
  – Two axle truck-33,400 lbs-titled for 15 years
  – Three axle truck-55,000 lbs-always titled
    regardless of model year

              Large Trucks
• Dump Trucks
• Look up list price of truck tractor
• Add on for dump body list price
  – Look up in truck body blue book or ask
• Always add chassis and cab list price to
  truck body list price

                Semi Trailers

• Semi trailers have separate registration
  from truck tractor
• Town fee is based on list price
• Body Style is SEMIT
• Leave weight blank on registration
  when doing new
• No plates or decals may be issued
            Semi Trailers
• Must be done at any DMV substation or
• Each truck-tractor registered with the
  State is allowed one semi trailer at no
  cost at the State level.
• A customer with one truck-tractor and 3
  semi trailers will be charged for 2 semi
Construction Equipment RSA 259:42

• Construction Equipment receive (1)
  CONEQ plate.
• New construction equipment
  transactions are processed at Concord
  or MV substations.
• Municipal Agents may do renewals.
• Construction equipment is not titled
• See handout
        Construction Equipment
• The following types of construction
  equipment should have a body style of
  CONET and plate type CONEQ:
• Generator, Compressor, Cement
  Mixer, Saw Rig, Log Splitter, Grader,
  Loader, Excavator, Backhoe, Wood
  Chipper, Construction Wagon, and
  Message Board

     Construction Equipment
• Town fee is prorated and based on
  the weight chart below. Contact
  dealer or ask customer for weight

      0    to     7,500 lbs    $25.00
   7,501   to    15,000 lbs    $50.00
  15,001   to    50,000 lbs   $100.00
  50,001   to    80,000 lbs   $200.00
  80,001   to   999,000 lbs   $300.00
     Construction Equipment
• The following types of construction
  equipment have body style and plate type
• Bulldozers, rollers, scrapers, spreaders,
  pavers, mixers, retreading machines,
  power shovels, rooters, scarifiers, etc.
• These types do not travel on the road
• Town and State fee will be $25.00 per
  year, prorated based on length of

To top