TO: Kansas State University Employees
FROM: Division of Human Resources, Payroll
DATE: August 27, 2010
RE: Implementation of 100% Electronic Payment for Employee
On May 21, 2010, Secretary of Administration Duane Goossen announced that the State of Kansas will implement a policy of
100% electronic payment, under the authority of K.S.A. 44-314, for employee payroll made on or after October 1, 2010. This
means that all employees who currently receive all or a portion of their net pay on a paper paycheck must be signed up for either
traditional direct deposit or for the Skylight paycard no later than September 17, 2010.
Employees can sign up for direct deposit via: Employee Self Service - HRIS or by completing the Authorization for Direct
Deposit of Employee Pay. Instructions for this form can be found at: http://www.k-state.edu/hr/ped/prddinst.htm#emp. For
additional information about direct deposit see Direct Deposit Frequently Asked Questions. Your department personnel
specialist can also assist you with this process.
What if you don’t already have a bank account?
1. There is still time to visit the bank of your choice and open an account and then complete the direct deposit steps
2. Employees who choose not to select traditional direct deposit will work with their agency HR/Payroll office to sign-up
for the Skylight paycard. Skylight Financial, in association with U.S. Bank, provides a solution with your needs in mind.
The Skylight One paycard account offers you the benefit of direct deposit into an FDIC insured, ATM/point-of-sale bank
account. EVERYONE is pre-approved! No credit check is required! With the Skylight account, you will have the
benefits of a bank account in a paycard; an ATM/Debit card, with which you can access your net pay in the following
• Obtain cash with no fees (up to paycard balance) at any VISA participating bank
• Make PIN debit or signature-based purchases and receive cash back with no fees during point-of-sale
transactions at VISA participating merchants
• Withdraw cash (up to daily limits) at ATMs (one free withdrawal per pay period at participating network
ATMs. Fees will apply for additional/out-of-network withdrawals)
• Utilize FREE online banking for automated bill pay
• Utilize FREE unlimited Skylight checks for payment of bills or to “cash your paycheck”
• Transfer funds for FREE to other Skylight cards or to a Skylight SubAccount
Contact the Division of Human Resources, Payroll Office for information regarding the State of Kansas Paycard Program.
Employee informational meetings are scheduled Sept. 9th at 10:00am to provide the opportunity for employees to obtain more
information about the Skylight paycard. Instructions to access the online informational meeting are included on the next page.
Electronic payment for employee payroll lowers costs and increases security for both the employee and the State of Kansas and
helps to protect our environment through the elimination of paper checks. Electronic payment through traditional direct deposit or
the payroll paycard provides a fast, convenient and inexpensive way to process your paycheck. You won’t have to worry about
your check getting delayed in the mail, being away from home on payday, or paying costly check-cashing fees for every
paycheck. With electronic payment, your pay is in your bank account on pay day morning – on time, every time.
Employee Informational meetings for State of Kansas Paycard Program
Payroll Services has scheduled Employee Informational meetings regarding the State of Kansas Paycard Program and
the transition to electronic payment for all active employees effective October 1st.
Friday, Sept. 3rd 10:00am - 11:00am
Thursday, Sept. 9th 10:00am – 11:00am
These meetings are available for on-line attendance via the DimDim web conferencing tool.
Before the event:
The Division of Accounts and Reports will use the DimDim web conferencing tool to host Employee Paycard Informational
Meetings. In order to connect to a DimDim web meeting, your PC must meet the following requirements:
• Be connected to the internet – preferably a high speed connection
• Have an internet browser (such as Internet Explorer) with pop-up blockers turned off
• Have the latest version of Adobe Flash Player (http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/)
• Speakers must be turned on (you may need to adjust the volume)
If you need assistance meeting these requirements, please contact your agency’s technology support organization. The Division
of Accounts and Reports will not be able to help troubleshoot technical issues the day of the event.
The presentation and other meeting materials will be posted to the Accounts and Reports website at (http://da.ks.gov/ar/payroll).
To connect to the event:
Please connect to the event 10 minutes prior to its scheduled start time. To attend a DimDim web meeting:
1. Go to the DimDim website: http://www.dimdim.com/
2. Click on “Join Meeting” on the right-hand side of the page
3. Enter the Meeting Room name: deptofadmin
4. Click “Join”
5. When the “Set Display Name” box displays, enter your name and agency number
6. Click “OK”
There will be no dial-in for the DimDim web meeting, since audio will be broadcast over the internet. During the event, all
participants will be muted to preserve sound quality. You can submit questions and comments by typing them in the “Message”
window and pressing the “Enter” key on your keyboard. Questions and comments are monitored throughout the event and will be
addressed by the speakers during the appropriate portion of the meeting, time permitting.
Occasionally, participants report the temporary loss of audio. Usually if this happens, sound is restored within seconds. If your
audio is not immediately restored, try the following steps:
1. In the top left corner of the DimDim window, press the stop button next to Department of Administration. This turns off
the audio being broadcasted by the presenter. Press the button again to restart audio