Top Tips: Here are some things
that you can do so you don’t
1. Take quicker showers. Did you 2. Better still take three-minute
know that a 10 minute shower uses 120 litres of water? showers and keep a bucket
How about you try and take three-minute showers and with you in the shower and any
save 84 litres of water every time water that gets in your bucket can
you take a shower. be used in the garden.
A water well is an excavation or
structure created in the ground
by digging, boring or drilling
to access water in
The well water is drawn via an
electrical pump or a mechanical
pump (e.g. from a water-pumping
windmill). It can also be drawn up
using containers, such as buckets
that are raised mechanically or
A well is made by reaching groundwater in
the water table. Groundwater is stored
naturally below the earth’s surface. Most
groundwater originates as rain seeps into
the ground and collects.
Department of Water
Department of Agriculture and Food WA
Department for Planning and Infrastructure
Department of Environment and Conservation
Colour the landscape in to learn about how
A T ER
3. Use a glass of water while brushing
your teeth. There is no need to
leave the tap running while you
brush. Simply wet your toothbrush
The Gnangara groundwater system north of before you begin and use a glass of
water to rinse your mouth.
Perth provides us with 60 per cent of water 4. Don’t water your garden during the
which is treated for human consumption. A lot of water is day. There is a ban on watering with
also used for agriculture, forests, public parks and gardens sprinklers between 9am and 6pm.
As plants don’t absorb water during
and industry and household gardens irrigated with bores. darkness the best time to water is
Groundwater also sustains our unique wetlands, which in turn early in the morning.
5. If you see any leaking taps in your
supports native vegetation and animals. house, ask your dad or mum to fix
6. Dishwashers can be thirsty. Turn on your dishwasher only when it’s
full. This way you can save on electricity as well as water.
Top Tips 6 7
7. When you need to clean down
driveways or paved areas use
a broom. Using a hose is a fast
way to waste water. 8
9 10 11
2. What is reducing our rainfall?
6. Apart from drinking water the Top Tips
14 8. When it’s time
Gnangara groundwater is also used to wash your
for this farming activity. 15
mum or dad’s car,
9. Which aquifer is our drinking water use a bucket, as
normally extracted from? a running hose
11. What is the name of the area 17 18
wastes up to 20
where groundwater is stored? litres of water
13. Name a type of Gnangara
Wash your car
groundwater aquifer. 19 on the lawn so that
14. A source of drinking water other than the water ends up
groundwater. going back into the
16. What is the most common species of a native groundwater.
tree found on the Gnangara groundwater system?
17. What is another name for water wells? 20
19. This industry uses up a lot of our groundwater.
20. What needs to happen so that groundwater
Down Clues to crossword can be
found throughout this
1. A machine powered by the energy of the wind that can be
used to pump groundwater to the surface.
3. What is the largest source of groundwater in Perth called?
4. When is the best time to water your gardens?
5. These natural water pools rely on groundwater to keep them
Most rainwater is absorbed by the
7. On what surface should you use to wash your car? ground and fills the tiny spaces between
8. What could you use in the shower to save water? soil particles. However, excess water –
10. What should you use to clean driveways and paved areas? called runoff – runs over the top of the
12. What household appliance is very thirsty? soil until it reaches a river, stream or dam.
15. This is the per cent amount of water that comes from the
Gnangara groundwater system for human consumption. As water seeps into the ground, it settles
18. You could save water if you only took three minute what? in the pores and cracks of underground
rocks and into the spaces between the
grains of sand and pieces of gravel. In time,
the water trickles down into a layer of rock
Top Tips that is watertight known as an aquifer.
9. If you have a dual flushing toilet use the flushing choices
correctly, so you use less water whenever possible.
The level of water in the aquifer has been slowly lowering due to less rainfall
because of climate change. Lots of wetlands don’t have water in them any more
and some trees are dying because their root system can’t find water close
enough to the ground. That means more and more native animals don’t have
enough water to drink and places to hide and feed.
Our farmers are also struggling to get enough to water their fruit and
That’s why it’s
important not to waste
J D S our precious water.
X J E V
Q T GW G E W E
A I I V O Y E N F
K T E L U D D H N V WD
B A N A G I
P N R N A H L W N E I
Q E J C E N I T
U G U I L T U R T P M
G R I C U J F G R
MQ T A HWD T V E E
O RMA D S N R D A in the
P G L L P E E A N RWN rds below
ind the wo and draw around
A V O S O Y NM F
F O U K
T N B D Z U A T
blackboar that form the wor s
L N R U C U O I K the lett ers m the word
H Y C R L N L M S E R O
B s that for
The letter d up, down and
E I D W I L E
F J I C
U E D S NMM can be fou .. how many can yo
Q F A N V U B gonally..
F A T R E W T C H P Y J
B N dia
R J E N I S S A A G F
S S AW
C U N E W E T S
D Q O Q D T Q S R E T A B N G
F V A I E H R R
N A H S AW L B S N E TOP TIP Number 10.
R P W I E R F E Remember plants in pots use
A I F Y Q N N U L A V C S X R more water than if they were
F X C F MB T H P I P U in the ground.
L S N A G S I K C Y K
I H A P U E
D K V Z WB A E R S L
U B Q R I C
O N C Q Y D R T A H S
R E S T R UMA L
O A F O D N I W U L E P
H L L I M Z O I M
WB X U C H O A M V WS
R S X E WH
R I V E E R S H
F A RM
C N HM
Word Search Puzzle
Groundwater word find!
AGRICULTURE GNANGARA RIVER
AQUIFER GROUNDWATER SEDIMENT
BANKSIA HORTICULTURE SUPERFICIAL
BORES LANDUSE URBANISATION
CLIMATE MOUND VEGETABLES
CONFINED PARKS WASTEWATER
DAM PINES WELL
FARMERS PUMP WETLANDS
FORESTRY RAINWATER WINDMILL
GARDEN RECYCLE WOODLANDS