Home Improvement Tax Credit by fpx13294


More Info
									Word Count: 558

          Insulate Your Attic by Dec. 31 and you may Qualify for a Tax Credit of up to $500

If you’re looking for an easy home improvement project to tackle during your upcoming holiday break ,
why not choose one that pays you back? Adding insulation in your attic not only helps reduce your
heating and cooling bills for years to come but, if you purchase qualifying ins ulation products before
December 31, 2007, you may be eligible for a federal tax credit of up to $500. When was the last time
one of your weekend projects gave you that kind of return?

Before you spend any money, you’ll first need to determine how much insulation is needed. To do so,
make a trip to your attic and take a look around. If the wood beams of your attic floor are visible, it’s a
pretty safe bet that you don’t have enough insulation. But even if you can’t see the beams, it’s no
guarantee that there is adequate insulation to achieve optimal energy efficiency. It’s best to measure the
insulation. If it’s less than 15.5 inches deep, your attic is probably under-insulat ed. Although the amount
of insulation needed varies depending on the region of the county you live in, the U.S. Department of
Energy recommends most attics be insulated to R-49.

R-values repres ent thermal resistance to heat flow and achieving R-49 in your attic requires 15.5 inches
of fiberglass blanket insulation (which is commonly sold in rolls or pre-cut lengths called batts), or about
18 inches of blown insulation. To check the recommended R-values for your region and to calculat e the
amount of ins ulation you’ll need to purchase, use the handy calculator at www.InsulateY ourAtticNow.com.
This website was created by Owens Corning, known worldwide for its PINK Fiberglas™ insulation, and
features installation instructions, a project checklist and a search function for finding the nearest insulation
retailer. Although adding insulation is a simple do-it -yours elf project, the site also has a contractor locator
if you’d rather hire someone to do it for you.

If you intend to apply for a federal tax credit, make sure you purchase a product that qualifies under the
Energy Policy Act of 2005. To find products that meet the requirements of the Energy Policy Act, visit
www.owenscorning.com/insulationfedt axcredit. If you use qualified insulation, you’re entitled to a tax
credit worth 10 perc ent of the purchase price, up to $500. Other requirements of the tax credit include:

       The insulation must be used in your primary residence.
       Homes, condominiums, mobile homes and cooperative apartments qualify.
       Installation costs are not included.
       The insulation must be expected to last five years, or have a two-year warranty.
       Use IRS Form 5695 “Residential Energy Credits.”
       Keep the receipt for the insulation and the Manufacturer’s Certific ation Statement for your
        records, but you do not have to submit them with your tax ret urn.
       The Energy Policy Act of 2005 expires on Dec ember 31, 2007.

In addition to the federal tax credit, many states and local utilities offer rebates or incentives for
homeowners who make energy improvements, so be sure to check locally for region-specific information.
For more information on how to qualify for the federal energy tax credit, visit
www.owenscorning.com/insulationfedt axcredit.


To top