New Vehicle Purchase Orders

Document Sample
New Vehicle Purchase Orders Powered By Docstoc
					       Vehicle Purchases
  I.     Purposes

         The following statement provides procedures for obtaining approval and purchasing motor vehicles.

 II.     General Guidelines

         As of November 15, 2005, the State of Kansas lifted its statewide vehicle moratorium. With approval from
         the State Budget Division, state agencies, including the University of Kansas, can now purchase motor
         vehicles (such as passenger cars, pickup trucks, and vans).

         Due to specific limitations established by the State Budget Division, approval for all University of Kansas
         vehicle purchase requests shall be coordinated through the Provost Office. The Provost Office is
         responsible for creating an equitable and cohesive strategy for our vehicle acquisition.

         The Comptroller’s Office and KU Vehicle Rental Office are responsible for working with campus
         departments to complete all approved vehicle purchases.

III.     Procedures

         Approval Procedures

         On an annual basis, the Provost Office will send out a request to all Vice Provosts, Deans, Directors, and
         Department Chairs for information related to vehicle purchases. The information request will be used to (1)
         collect requests for fiscal year vehicle purchases for departmental units; and (2) prioritize the requests.
         Based upon the information presented in the requests for vehicle replacement, the Provost Office will
         develop a campus-wide request for submission to the State Budget Division.

         Vehicle requests received will be evaluated and prioritized by the Provost Office in accordance with the
         following conditions established by the State Budget Division.

             1. Only replacement vehicles may be requested
                • New vehicle type must be similar to replaced vehicle
                • If a used vehicle is requested, it must both replace an existing vehicle and be approved for
                   purchase in advance

             2. State mileage requirements for any vehicle replacement are:
                • Passenger vehicle mileage must exceed 100,000
                • Pickup truck mileage must exceed 140,000
                • Cargo vans mileage must exceed 140,000
                • Minivans are charged to the 14060 object code, but can be replaced at 100,000 miles
                NOTE – Vehicles with high mileage will be given higher priority

             3. Expenditure limit
                • Based upon the average amounts spent in prior fiscal years, the State has limited the amount of
                    funds that the University can spend on vehicle replacement.
                NOTE – It is because of this condition that the Provost Office will develop a prioritized campus-wide
                request rather than allowing replacement on a first-come, first-served basis.
The following information is required for each vehicle that is proposed for replacement…

1. Completed State Vehicle Purchase Request Form
   • Form available at …
   • Page 1 MUST be completed in entirety
      Key Highlights:
           − Vehicle Replacement Justification – “Current Mileage” pertains to the mileage of the vehicle
               to be replaced
           − Requested Vehicle - “Funding” – Indicate the amount of purchase on the line labeled
               “Other”. NOTE – Except under extraordinary circumstances, the University will not use
               monies from the State General Fund to purchase motor vehicles.
   • Page 2 should be completed for the following circumstances
           − Vehicle Upgrade Request (e.g. replacing a car with a minivan or a pickup truck with a SUV)
           − Requested price differs from the base contract price due to the addition of optional features
               and/or add-ons
   • It is imperative that all completed forms are accurate and complete, as the forms (for those vehicle
      requests endorsed by the Provost’s Office) will be forwarded to the State Budget Division.
      NOTE – This form seeks additional information beyond information requested on page 13 of
      Contract 08640.
   • Submit both a hard copy of the request and an electronic version of the request

2. Additional Information on the Vehicle to be Replaced – Information will not be forwarded to the State
   Budget Division
   • Assigned Custodian - Sub-unit within the University that “owns” the vehicle
   • How the vehicle is used
           − Purpose
           − Frequency
   • Maintenance concerns presented by vehicle
   • Miscellaneous information that should be known in order to evaluate and prioritize the request
      among all the requested vehicle replacements for the campus.

If more than one vehicle is requested for a unit, then the requests should be prioritized.

After the review of the requested replacements has been completed in the Provost's Office, the units making
the request will be notified as to which requests have been forwarded to the State Budget Division.

After the State Budget Division completes its review, it will notify the KU Budget Office regarding action
taken by the state.

The KU Budget Office is responsible for contacting campus departments once a decision has been received
from the State Budget Division.

Purchase Procedures

Vehicle Purchase Orders
After units have received vehicle purchase approval, the unit is responsible for submitting a purchase order
to the vendor, and the PO Log to Central Accounting Services.

The current statewide contract for new vehicles can be found at:

When submitting the purchase order to CASPUR, include the tag number of the vehicle being replaced and
the DOB approval number. CASPUR will match the approval forms with the purchase orders to complete
the State’s documentation requirements. Once the purchase order is entered into PeopleSoft, the
department will need to send the vendor a copy of the purchase order, with detailed ordering information.
Neither Central Accounting, or Purchasing, will submit the order to the vendor.

Vehicle Delivery, Tags, Titles & Registration
When department takes physical delivery of the vehicle, the vendor is required to provide the department
with a Certificate of Origin (new) or Certificate of Title (used).

Immediately after delivery, copies of the certificate of origin/title, vehicle approval and PO should be sent to
Susie Albers-Smith at KU Vehicle Rental. KU Vehicle Rental is responsible for ordering tags from Topeka
(turnaround time is usually 2-3 days). A temporary tag issued by the vendor may be used while waiting to
receive the vehicle tag from Topeka.

Departments are responsible for titling all vehicles including trailers with a load capacity of 2,000 lbs. or
more. The State of Kansas also currently titles ATVs (all terrain vehicles) such as the John Deere Gator,
Kawasaki Mule, and similar type vehicles. However, the State does not require heavy equipment, mowers,
skid loaders, tractors, and other non-tagged construction or agricultural equipment to be titled. The cost to
title a vehicle is currently $10.00 (subject to change).

The following steps are required to title a vehicle.
1. Department requests from CASPUR a $10.00 check made payable to “Douglas County Treasurer” by
   creating a voucher using the “RUSH” process. This request should be made immediately after delivery,
   as there is a 30-day deadline to get the vehicle titled. There is a penalty of $2.00 (subject to change) if
   the title is not paid within 30 days.
   NOTE – Be sure to mark box to “pick up” so that the check goes to the department (DO NOT mail the
   check to the Treasurer’s office).

2. When department receives check, someone will need to hand carry it to the Douglas County Treasurer's
   Office. They will need to take the following:
       • $10.00 check,
       • Certificate of Origin and
       • Proof of insurance – available on the Comptroller’s Office website at
       • Identification (e.g. drivers license)

    Vehicles must be titled to the University of Kansas. The department representative will receive a receipt
    from the Douglas County Treasure’s Office, and a Certificate of Title will be mailed to the department in
    approximately 4 weeks.

3. When department receives the title in mail, they should keep a copy and have the original hand
   delivered to Janet Mears, Property Accounting. All original titles are maintained centrally by the
   Comptroller’s Office.

Official state vehicles are NOT registered in Douglas County. Registration fees for State vehicles are
assessed by the Central Motor Pool, once per year, based on the December 31st inventory. For every state
vehicle owned by KU on December 31st of a given year, the required registration fee will be billed to the KU
Vehicle Rental Office. On approximately April 1st, KU Vehicle Rental will rebill fees to the department that
owned the vehicle on December 31st. Registration fees are not collected at any other time for officially
licensed state vehicles.

Departments are encouraged to have blue or white KU decals applied to University of Kansas vehicles.
Installation can be arranged, free of charge, by calling the FO Garage @ 864-3628. Current state policy
prohibits any other decals or stickers from being applied to University of Kansas vehicles without the
advance, written approval of the Secretary of Administration.
   Disposal Procedures

   Department must submit a “Disposition of Property (DA-110)” form to Property Accounting Office for
   vehicles they are replacing. NOTE -- Approval of the DA-110 must be received before the vehicle is
   advertised as surplus. Additionally, if the department decides to negotiate a trade-in as part of their vehicle
   purchase, the department is responsible for contacting Janet Mears ASAP as there are additional
   procedures that must be completed.

   Departments are expected to work with the Property Accounting Office regarding options for disposal of
   their replaced vehicles.

   Prior to disposal, be sure to remove any KU decals, identifiers and other personal property. KU Parking
   Permits should be removed and traded-in in accordance with KU Parking Department procedures.

   When you retire your old vehicles, remove BOTH the front and rear official plates and send BOTH PLATES
   to Susie Albers-Smith at the KU Vehicle Rental, 1505 Westbrooke. She will handle sending the plates to
   Topeka and getting the vehicle removed from the annual registration list.

   The old plates needs to be surrendered ASAP after the new vehicle is placed in service.
   To avoid paying next year’s registration fees on retired vehicles, the plates need to be delivered to Susie no
   later than December 15th as fees are assessed each year based on the December 31st inventory.

   NOTE -- If you DO NOT have both plates, you will need to file a police report on the missing plate in order to
   get the vehicle removed from the registration list.

   Vehicle Insurance

   Vehicles acquired throughout the year are automatically covered under state contract (see link above).
   Departments are required to submit all yearly changes during the University's annual insurance renewal
   process. The proof of insurance, provided above to the Douglas County Treasurer's Office to obtain a
   certificate of title, should be placed in the vehicle in a location that is secure and easy to locate.

   Resource Contacts

   Approval Process – Richard McKinney, KU Budget Office, 864-3136 or

   Procurement Process – Debbie Kramer, CASPUR, 864-5935 or
                         Mike Lewis, CASPUR, 864-5938 or

   Title or Disposition Process – Janet Mears, Property Accounting, 864-5975 or

   Vehicle Tag Process – Susie Albers-Smith, KU Vehicle Rental, 864-3902 or

History: First issued, ______________.
Contact for Info: Office of the Comptroller, Property Accounting (785-864-5975)

Shared By:
Description: New Vehicle Purchase Orders document sample