TECO-2002 POSTER PRESENTATIONS
Poster no. Explanation
1. Tittle: Performance of Automatic Weather
Stations in Kenya
2. Automatic Weather Stations: Locations
STATION NAM E WMO No. EUM ETSAT No. location Height
Mtwapa 63797 16F9D068 03˚56'S 39˚44'E 61m
Dagoretti 63741 1672A2E8 01˚18'S 36˚45'E 1795m
Kibos 63711 36D86128 00˚02'S 34˚49'E 1214m
3. MTWAPA DIFERRENCES
MAX MIN RAIN
MEAN -0.24 4.63 -0.62
STD DEV 0.72 2.66 5.40
4. & 5. Graphical representations for the mean differences and
standard deviations of the parameters measured at
Dagoretti Corner. Note that wind direction gives a
high value because its units of measurements is in tens
(ie 10,20 30, etc.).
6. & 7. Graphical representations for the mean differences at
0600 and 1800 UTC of the parameters measured at
Dagoretti Corner so as to include minimum and
maximum temperatures respectively.
8. & 9. Graphical representations for the mean differences at
0000 and 1200 UTC of the parameters measured at
Dagoretti Corner so as to detect whether the
differences for wind speed are higher when the winds
are strong or weak.
10. KIBOS DIFERRENCES
MEAN 8.27 -0.53
STD DEV 2.50 3.90
11. Conclusions; The high differences for the minimum
temperatures are due to the inability of the data logger
to determine the lowest temperature measured in 24
hours. Likewise it does not add up the rainfall
amounts in 24 hours. Rainfall is reported at the hour
when it occurs only.
12. Presently installed AWS in Kenya and their status.