Fruit Stuffed Smoked Pork Tenderloin
This dish requires a smoker, the smoke, fruit and pork make a wonderful
1 1/2 # Pork Tenderloin
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 small onion
1 Tbl melted butter or margarine
1/2 cup red cooking wine
1 small apple peeled and chopped
1 small pear peeled and chopped
1/4 cup golden raisins
3/4 teaspoon rosemary
3/4 tsp thyme
1/4 cup apple juice
2 Tbl brown sugar
1/4 cup croutons
salt and pepper
1. Saute onion and garlic in butter or margarine in a medium sized sauce
pan until onion is soft; stir in wine.
2. Add all 3 fruits to pan and cook for a few minutes to soften.
3. Add the Thyme and Rosemary to the mixture and cook over medium heat
to reduce the wine.
4. Add apple juice and brown sugar, stir in croutons and enough salt and
pepper to taste.
5. With a sharp knife butterfly the tenderloin. (cut horizontally through the
meat 1/3 the thickness down ALMOST to the end; cut down 2/3 the
thickness of the meat and then cut horizontally again through almost to the
end.) You should wind up with 2 flaps when laid out flat. Place meat on a
sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil. Layer the stuffing between both layers
of meat, rolling back up as you go along; place any remainder stuffing
around the sides and a little on top after sprinkling a good portion of salt,
6. pepper and Rosemary on the top of the roast. Tie the roast to keep it from
unrolling. Bring the sides of the aluminum foil up around the sides of the
roast but leave the top exposed. You want to catch all the drippings to
pour over the meat once cooked and cut.
7. Preheat your smoker and place enough mesquite chunks inside to get a
good smoke going; keep it going.
8. PREFERRED METHOD: Roast meat uncovered at about 300-350
degrees until internal temperature reaches 160 in your smoker. Depending
on the temperature of your smoker check the meat in about 1 1/2 hours if
your smoker reaches a 300 degree temp.
9. If you plan to use your outdoor grill you will need to cook the roast over
indirect heat and keep the wood chip box filled to get enough smoke.
10. After completed let rest a half hour and slice; pour juices over the cut
Servings 2 or 3