Diana Hacker Exercises
AP & World Literature
J. Atkins/Wade Hampton High School
EXERCISE S5–1 Mixed constructions
Edit the following sentences to untangle mixed constructions.
1. Early diagnosis of prostate cancer is often curable.
2. Depending on our method of travel and our destination determines how many suitcases we are allowed to pack.
3. Dyslexia is where people have a learning disorder that impairs reading ability.
4. Even though Ellen had heard French spoken all her life, yet she could not speak it.
5. In understanding artificial intelligence code is a critical skill for computer game designers.
EXERCISE S3–1 Misplaced or awkwardly placed modifiers
Edit the following sentences to correct misplaced or awkwardly placed modifiers.
1. Carlos sat solemnly and didn’t even smile once during the comedy.
2. Angelie wrote about collecting peacock feathers with her uncle David in her class notebook.
3. Several recent studies have encouraged heart patients to more carefully watch their cholesterol levels.
4. The garden’s centerpiece is a huge sculpture that was carved by three women called Walking in Place.
5. The old Marlboro ads depicted a man on a horse smoking a cigarette.
EXERCISE S6–2 Subordination
In the following sentences, ideas have been coordinated (joined with a coordinating conjunction or a semicolon).
Restructure the sentences by subordinating minor ideas. You must decide which ideas are minor because the
sentences are given out of context.
1. Victor switched on his remote-control lawn mower, and it began to shudder and emit clouds of smoke.
2. Iguanas are dependent on ultraviolet rays from the sun, so in the winter months they must be put under ultraviolet-
coated lights that can be purchased at most pet stores.
3. The Civil War Trust was founded in 1991; it spearheads a nationwide campaign to protect America’s Civil War
4. We did not expect to receive so many large orders so quickly, and we are short on inventory.
5. I am certain that Mother spread her love equally among us all, but she had a way of making each of us feel very
special in our own way.