Name: ________________________ Date: ____________
SUPA Forensics (2009-2010) Schachter / Donnelly
Forensic Psychology & Criminal Profiling Project
OBJECTIVE: Students will demonstrate the understanding of forensic criminal psychology by engaging in internet research and by
writing a paper about a criminal’s actions and the criminal mindset.
NOTE: The emphasis of this project is WHY these individuals committed these horrific crimes more than WHAT they did.
PROJECT REQUIREMENTS: Using internet and library resources, you will write a research paper (size 12 font,double spaced,
standard margins) individually. Use full sentences. Spell check and proofread your essay. The essay should include:
PAGE 1: Cover Page which contains your name, the name of the criminal and at least 3 images of the individual
PAGE 2+: Background information on the individual, his/her family background/history, education level, socioeconomic
level, “abnormalities” in his/her childhood experience, etc
PAGE 3+: Detailed information about the crimes he/she committed (“Who, What, When, Where, How”)
PAGE 4+: Your analysis of the psychological reasons he / she may have committed these crimes (“Why”). Include
correlations to the background information on PAGE 2 and our notes packet. For instance, does he/she display the “Triad
of Symptoms?” What “type” of profile(s) would be assigned to this individual? Does he/she possess all of the typical
characteristics of that profile?
PAGE 5: “Works Cited” page in APA format.
o Do not just write www.google.com or www.crimelibrary.com
o Use a minimum of 3 DIFFERENT sources for your research, one must be a book the others can be internet sources.
o You must even include links that you obtained your PAGE 1 images from.
DO NOT PLAGARIZE; PUT EVERYTHING IN YOUR OWN WORDS. See pp. 30-31 of the Student Handbook for further
information as well as the related grading/disciplinary policy.
Projects are to be submitted electronically by the deadlines on the next page.
o Go to www.turnitin.com
o For a new account click on “Create Account” in upper right corner
o Under “New students start here” click on “Create a user profile”
o If you have account established with www.turnitin.com, login and click on “Enroll in a Class” on the menu to the left.
o Class ID: 3024975
o Class Enrollment Password: science0910
TOPICS: You can choose from the following list or visit the websites for additional ideas. Each student works on one topic.
(1) Beverley Allitt: (pediatric nurse suffering from Munchausen by Proxy syndrome)
(2) Robert Leroy Anderson: (tortured, raped and murdered his victims)
(3) David Berkowitz (‘Son of Sam’ serial killer terrorized New York City in the late 1970s.)
(4) Boston Strangler (serial killer and rapist Albert De Salvo)
(5) Ted Bundy (stalked and murdered young college women)
(6) Jeffrey Dahmer (necrophiliac and cannibal)
(7) Butch DeFeo (responsible for Amityville Horror Murders on Long Island)
(8) Albert Fish (cannibal model for Hannibal Lector)
(9) John Wayne Gacy (contractor and murderer)
(10) Kitty Genovese: (37 witnessed her murder in NYC and did not get involved)
(11) Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold (Columbine school shooters)
(12) H.H. Holmes (con artist, child murderer and serial killer)
(13) Jack the Ripper (serial killer) *** NOT RECOMMENDED DUE TO LIMITED INFORMATION
(14) Edmund Kemper (genius-level serial killer killed his grandparents, hitchhikers and mother)
(15) Peter Kurten (the vampire of Dusseldorf)
(16) Charles Manson (made followers kill on command)
(17) Timothy McVeigh & Terry Nichols: (responsible for Oklahoma City terrorist bombing)
(18) Joel Rifkin (murdered 17 women)
(19) The Zodiac Killer (mysterious serial killer) *** NOT RECOMMENDED DUE TO LIMITED INFORMATION
(20) Richard Ramirez (aka “The Night Stalker”)
(21) Hillside Stranglers (serial killers that attacked during the late 1970’s)
(22) Brian Nichols (escaped from holding cell after shooting judge, court reporter, and sheriffs in Atlanta 2005)
(23) Beltway Snipers (John Allen Muhammad and Lee Malvo – DC areas around 2002)
(24) Andrew Cunanan (spree killer who murdered 5, including Versace)
(25) Jeff Weise (school shooter in Red Lake Minnesota, 2005)
(26) Colin Ferguson (spree killer who attacked commuters on the LIRR during the 1990s)
(27) Richard Speck (killed 8 nursing students in a single night in July of 1966)
(28) Adolf Hitler (leader of the German Nazi movement who was responsible for the murder of millions of people)
(29) Ed Gein (inspiration for the character Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs)
(30) David Koresh (Branch Davidian cult leader in Waco, Texas)
(31) Dennis Rader (aka BTK, the Bind-Torture-Kill serial killer)
(32) Seung-Hui Cho (VA Tech shooter)
(33) Ted/Theodore Kaczynski (the unabomber)
SOME RESOURCES FOR THIS PROJECT: Court TV’s Crime Library
SERIAL KILLERS: http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/complete_list.html
NOTORIOUS MURDERS: http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/complete_list.html
GANGERS AND OUTLAWS: http://www.crimelibrary.com/gangsters_outlaws/complete_list.html
THE CRIMINAL MIND: http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminal_mind/complete_list.html
TERRORISTS, SPIES AND ASSASSINS: http://www.crimelibrary.com/terrorists_spies/complete_list.html
OUTLAWS AND THEIVES: http://www.crimelibrary.com/gangsters_outlaws/complete_list.html
ALSO, check out our library!!! There are many books available!!!
DEADLINES: You will have computer room time to work on this project but will have to do additional work at home.
Save your project in multiple locations daily (H drive, Google Docs, a USB, a disk, etc)
Excuses like “it’s on my computer at home” or “I forgot to bring in my project” will not be accepted.
Computer Room Research Dates: Tuesday March 23 – Friday March 26, 2010 (E209)
Research and Review Dates: Monday April 5, 2010 – Wednesday April 7, 2010 (E208)
Date/Time of Individual Review: _______________________________________________
First Draft Due Date: Friday, April 2, 2010 before midnight
Final Essay Due Date: Friday, April 9, 2010 before midnight
TENTATIVE GRADING RUBRIC:
Criteria Max. Grade
PAGE 1: Cover Page 5
* your name
* the name of the criminal
* at least 3 images of the individual
PAGE 2: Background Information 20
* Background information on the individual
* his/her family background/history
* education level, socioeconomic level, “abnormalities” in his/her childhood experience, etc
* Accurate & not plagiarized!
* Proofread, min: 1+ page, max: size 12 font
PAGE 3: Crimes Committed 20
* Detailed information about the crimes he/she committed (“Who, What, When, Where, How”)
* Accurate & not plagiarized!
* Proofread, min: 1+ page, max: size 12 font
PAGE 4: Psychological Reasons 20
* Your analysis of the psychological reasons he / she may have committed these crimes (“Why”).
* Includes correlations to the background information on PAGE 2 and our notes packet.
* For instance, does he/she display the “Triad of Symptoms?”
* What “type” of profile(s) would be assigned to this individual?
* Does he/she possess all of the typical characteristics of that profile?
* Not plagiarized!
* Proofread, min 1+ page, max size 12 font
PAGE 5: Works Cited Page 5
* includes the exact sources/website links
* 3+ sources included
* must include image links
First Draft Submission 5
*first draft submitted on time
*all research completed and included in first draft
* late project submission
* other TBA
TOTAL: 75 POINTS