NAME OF POST HOLDER:
Job Title: Site Assistant
37 hours per week, 52 weeks per year
3.00 pm – 10.00 pm Monday to Friday & 9am – 2 pm Saturday (with
30 minutes break)
NCC Support Staff Payscale 3 [*dependent on outcome of pay &
benefits process, which is due early July 2010], point range: 14-17
Actual Salary: £15,725 - £16,830 per annum *
Reports to: Site Supervisor
• To provide a variety of essential handyperson/cleaning/security functions to ensure a high
standard of facilities to aid with the smooth running of Wollaston School.
• To carry out security procedures for the School buildings and grounds. To be responsible
for the routine and non-routine opening of school premises and grounds under the
direction of, or in the absence of, Site Management.
• To draw attention to any repairs or maintenance work required at the school, which would
be beyond the competence of the site staff. To carry out minor or temporary repairs
yourself, direct workmen and contractors to sites of repair and maintenance work, and to
assist with the inspection of the work of contractors.
• To assist with cleaning duties (including spot and emergency cleaning) which may be
necessary to maintain hygiene standards.
• To carry out procedures in the event of fire, flood, breaking and entering, accident or
major damage under the direction of Site Management.
• To take appropriate action to prevent trespass on the school premises or grounds and in
some cases ensure that unauthorised parking of vehicles does not occur.
• To prepare for after-school activities and ensure that the accommodation is prepared for
normal school use in accordance with the school's Lettings Agreement, following the
direction of Site Management.
• To provide emergency access to the school building and classrooms in the event of snow
or minor flooding or similar emergency situations. To be on call – where required – for
emergency call out to intruder/fire alarm, in and out of school hours.
• To ensure that all areas and paths are free from litter.
• To assist with the removal of debris and leaves from downspouts and waste pipes.
• To ensure that waste pipes to all lavatory basins and sinks are clear and cleaned.
• To ensure that manholes and drains are clean and operational, with any blockages or
damage being reported.
• To convey waste produce to the appropriate central refuse area as required.
• To take delivery of stores, materials and other goods ordered by the school and to store
• To ensure that washroom facilities/toilet areas are regularly inspected to maintain a high
standard of cleanliness and that they are maintained with an adequate supply of soap,
toilet rolls light bulbs etc.
• To ensure that all caretaking and cleaning equipment is in a safe and working condition.
• To assist with the movement of furniture and equipment around the school.
• To contribute to whole School events as and when required.
• To be aware of the School’s duty of care in relation to staff, students and visitors and to
comply with the health and safety policies at all times.
• To be aware of and comply with the codes of conduct, regulations and policies of the
School and its commitment to equal opportunities. Act in a courteous way at all times in
communications with both colleagues and other school stakeholders.
• To support and contribute to the School’s commitment to ‘Every Child Matters,’ enabling
children to be healthy, stay safe, enjoy and achieve, make a positive contribution and
achieve economic well-being.
• To carry out any other reasonable duties or request of your line manager, that are in
keeping with this post or as may be determined from time to time by the Leadership
This job description is current at the date below but will be reviewed on an annual basis and,
following consultation with you, may be changed to reflect or anticipate changes in the job
requirements which are commensurate with the job title and grade.
Site Assistant Headteacher
The details contained in this job description reflect the content of the job at the date it was prepared.
However, it is inevitable that, over time, the nature of the jobs may change. Existing duties may no longer be
required and other duties may be gained without changing the general nature of the post
or the level of responsibility entailed.
Consequently, the school will expect to revise the job description from time to time and
will consult with the post holder at the appropriate time.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
A demonstrable understanding of basic health and safety requirements (in a √
school environment, including COSHH)
Experienced in maintaining equipment and materials in accordance with √
health and safety legislation
DIY skills to enable the undertaking of day to day repairs and maintenance √
of the school building/surrounds
Ability to adhere to working procedures and policies within the school √
Able to perform the physical tasks required by the varying duties of this post, √
including lifting, carrying and pushing various equipment around the school
Good interpersonal and communication skills, with an ability to build and √
maintain effective working relationships with all stakeholders of the school
Ability to manage time effectively and demonstrate initiative (including √
establishing priorities and applying conscientious logic to own workload)
Ability to operate effectively as part of a team or individually as required √