The killer angels: by Michael
July 2, 1863
The Second Day
Ch 5: Longstreet
Chapter summary part 1
• Longstreet visited Hood in the hospital and,
sadly, is lying to him that they are winning the
• They are fighting a great battle but the body
count just in their general area was phenomenal.
• Longstreet lost half of his men and is trying to
convince Lee to move men to the right, but Lee
was to egger to keep fighting.
Chapter summary part 2
• Longstreet has been careful to avoid any
alcohol because knows he has a bad
reaction to it already.
• The war is still going and the losses are
• Most men and their spirits are broken. For
example: Longstreet is drinking.
• After the battle Longstreet rides back to
camp with Fremantle and Lee.
Chapter summary part 3
• Around the camp fire they are singing the
song "Kathleen Mavourneen.“
• Armistead encourages Longstreet to join
• Armistead sent Hood’s wife a package that
could only be opened if he has died.
• Every one of the troops were sad that day
and they had a sinking felling, they lost.
• Second in command
• Lee’s best friend
• A non-drinker
• Never wanted to miss
the last battle
• A southern trooper
• Very stubborn
• All of his children died
of a really bad fever
1. Who did Longstreet visit in the hospital?
2. What song are they singing at camp?
3. What type of package was sent by