The Names of Those Added to the
Memorial Wall in the Year 2008
2008 Line of Duty Death
John H. Martinson Lieutenant New York City Fire Department Kings County January 3, 2008
2007 Line of Duty Deaths
Ronald W. Thomas Firefighter Wellsville Volunteer Fire Department Allegany County April 29, 2007
Joseph E. Piazzi Deputy Chief Briarcliff Manor Fire Department Westchester County May 16, 2007
Daniel F. Pujdak Firefighter New York City Fire Department Kings County June 21, 2007
Robert Beddia Firefighter New York City Fire Department Kings County August 18, 2007
Joseph Graffagnino Lieutenant New York City Fire Department Kings County August 18, 2007
Line of Duty Deaths for Previous Years
Joseph E. Henehan Firefighter Binghamton Fire Department Broome County October 31, 1938
Felix D’Avignon Firefighter Mechanicville Fire Department Saratoga County February 25, 1945
James R. Cameron Firefighter Canton Fire Department St. Lawrence County February 22, 1948
Walter F. Bell Firefighter Canton Fire Department St. Lawrence County July 3, 1955
New York State
Fallen Firefighters Memorial
• The New York State Fallen Firefighters Memorial was dedicated in 1998.
• The memory and the valor of our fallen firefighters is commemorated at the Memorial
during Fire Prevention Week each year.
• As of the October 7, 2008 ceremony, there will be 2,336 names on the wall.
• The 2008 New York State Fallen Firefighters Memorial ceremony will honor the 10
Empire State firefighters who gave their lives in the line of duty. Of these firefighters
being added to the wall, 5 are 2007 deaths, 1 is a 2008 death, and the other 4 are from
• The earliest name on the wall is from the year 1811.
For additional information:
• View the official list of Memorial names and additional information at:
• The NYS Dept. of State Office of Fire Prevention and Control: http://www.dos.state.ny.us/fire/firewww.html