Graduate Division Staff for NIH
• M. Belinda Tucker, Associate Dean, Grad. Division
• Institutional signing authority for all F-applications via Grants.gov & all other
extramural individual fellowship applications requiring institutional submission (e.g.,
American Heart Association, Autism Speaks, Parkinson’s Disease Foundation)
• Office of Postdoctoral and Visiting Scholar Staff
• Postdoctoral & Visiting Scholar appointments & payments
• All Extramural Individual Fellowship Applications
• April de Stefano, Director (Payments, Tax)
• Jenny Luna, Analyst (Individual Fellowships)
NIH NRSA Fellowship Resources
• Website: www.gdnet.ucla.edu
• NIH Help Desk: http://www.grants.gov/help/help.jsp
• Graduate Division Contacts
• April de Stefano, Director firstname.lastname@example.org 310-825-0636
• Jenny Luna, Analyst email@example.com 310-825-1465
NRSA Application Deadline to the Graduate Division
• NRSA applications are always due to the Graduate Division one week prior to NIH deadline.
• This allows the Graduate time to review the applications for minor errors prior
to submitting the application to Grants.gov.
• It allows us time to contact you to troubleshoot any errors after we attempt to
submit the application via grants.gov.
• We receive as many as 35 applications in one cycle, therefore, we cannot
possibly submit them all at once if they all come in on the last day. We will
review and submit applications in the order that we receive them.
• Deadline to the Graduate Division is August 1 for the August 8th NIH deadline.
• Email the complete application to firstname.lastname@example.org
New Electronic Submission Application & Process
The new electronic submission application and process applies to the following F-series Ruth L.
Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA):
• F30 (dual doctoral degree fellowships)
• F31 (predoctoral fellowships)
• F32 (postdoctoral fellowships)
• F33 (senior fellowships)
For a complete listing of Fellowship Program Announcements (PAs), see the F-Kiosk at:
Below is a short synopsis of the new electronic submission process. The instructions and screen shots of a
sample application are meant to help answer commonly asked questions and to avoid frequent errors that
Please do not solely rely on the information provided on this site. For detailed instructions, please
download the entire SF424 (R&R) Individual Fellowship Application Guide for NIH and AHRQ at
Please refer to the following web site for the most current Application Guides:
At anytime during the application process, you can contact:
1. the NIH helpdesk at http://www.grants.gov/help/help.jsp.
2. April de Stefano at email@example.com or (310)825-0636, or Jenny Luna,
firstname.lastname@example.org 310-825-1465 to assist you.
• This is NIH's infrastructure for conducting interactive electronic transactions for the receipt,
review, award, monitoring and administration of NIH grant awards to organizations and
investigators (research scientists) worldwide.
• You must have an eRA Commons ID to apply.
• To set up an eRA Commons account, please contact
Jenny Luna email@example.com or April de Stefano firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Provide full name, UID, and email address.
• Do NOT register for a Grants.gov account
• Grants.gov funding opportunities use Adobe Reader to fill out forms (see the table below for current
Adobe Reader compatibility).
• Users do not need to purchase Adobe Acrobat Professional to complete forms.
• However they will need a PDF conversion software to create attachments.
Computer Operating System Forms Program Compatible
Mac Tiger Adobe Reader Yes
Mac Leopard Adobe Reader Yes
PC WINXP Adobe Reader Yes
PC Vista Adobe Reader Yes
• Go to https://apply07.grants.gov/apply/forms_apps_idx.html
• Locate your specific application by placing your PA number in the “Funding Opportunity Number”
The next screen will allow you to Download Application Instructions and Download Application Package.
• Rather than downloading the application instructions from Grants.gov, it is recommended that you refer
to the SF424 (R&R) Individual Fellowship Application Guide for NIH and AHRQ.
• Download the application package and save it to your local computer or shared device.
Grant Application Package Cover Page Instructions
• “Application Filing Name” Field is for Graduate Division’s internal reference. Please use the following
format to fill in this field: “Principal Investigator’s (Applicant’s) Last Name, First Name: F30/31/32
Application.” For example: Jones, Norah: F32 Application.
• To begin filling out your application, use the arrow to move “mandatory documents” into the “for
submission” box. Forms can only be filled out once you have moved them to the “for submission” box.
If you intend to use any “optional documents,” they should be moved as well.
Comment [a3]: An
SF424(R&R) Application for Federal Assistance Page 1 Instructions
• #1: For first time submission, “Type of Submission” will always be “Application.” If Dean
Tucker has already submitted your application to Grants.gov, and you are correcting an error,
you should select “Changed/Corrected Application” in box . and enter the “Federal Identifier”
in box 4, which is provided in your eRA commons account.
• #5-#7: Should be completed exactly as shown.
“Type of Applicant” is always “H:Public/State Controlled Institution of Higher Education.”
• #8: First time application is always “NEW.” If you are making a correction to an error, please
• #10: Please leave blank.
• #11: Your title cannot exceed 81 character including spaces and punctuation.
• #12: Make sure your dates are in full calendar years since F grants are to be disbursed monthly
on a yearly basis.
• #13: CA-030 is the congressional district for UCLA. However, if the research will be done
off-site, it may be different.
• #14: Enter applicant’s information. “Department” should be your home department,
“Division” should be your college. Pleas make sure both Department and Division are listed
under the UCLA General Catalog Majors and Degree website
http://www.registrar.ucla.edu/catalog/catalog09-10-3.htm , otherwise, NIH will not
acknowledge and accept your application.
SF424(R&R) Application for Federal Assistance Page 1 Instructions
• #15: Please refer to the PHS SF424 (R&R) Individual Fellowship Application Guide: page I-48.
Total Federal Funds Request should include the applicable stipend amount, the actual tuition fees
and the standard institutional allowance. Applicants should refer to the NIH/OER Research
website http://grants.nih.gov/training/extramural.htm for current stipend and other budgetary levels
and enter the total amount being requested for the entire period of support.
• #16: Please check “No, Program is not covered by E.O. 12372”.
• #17: This field is required, you must agree to apply.
• #18: If you are not able to agree in #17, you will need to attach and explanation here.
• #19: Information should be entered exactly as shown above.
Please refer to the SF424(R&R) Individual Fellowship Application Guide,
http://grants.nih.gov/grants/funding/424/SF424_RR_Guide_Fellowship_VerB.pdf Pages I-56 to I-63
when completing this section:
All attachments must be in PDF format. See section 2.6 of the SF424(R&R) Individual
Fellowship Application Guide, page I-20 for Format Specification.