3 Ways for you to connect with the
Inside the library
• I.P. Authentication
• Static IP address: register your static IP address and
eliminate the need for a login and password.
Libraries can use this method to create their own
menu page with links to the databases.
• Login/Password Authentication
• Some libraries cannot register an IP address. For
these libraries a confidential login & password will
be provided. This login & password should NOT be
shared with patrons. It is not the same login &
password used for remote access.
Library automation remote
• What is a RPA?
• Remote Patron Authentication
– The library’s automation system authenticates patrons
using a library card number
– Once identified as valid, patrons are then logged into a
– As they move through the databases, patrons are
authenticated because the proxy server has a static IP
Why use an RPA?
• + Optimal method
• + Allows libraries to customize their own
menu page linking directly to the databases
• + Customization gives libraries the greatest
control over the design of their homepages
• - Requires library technical staff to have a
comfort level with networking
Texas State Library remote
• Provided by the Texshare staff at the State
• Template based pages - customized with
each library’s name & contact information
• Allows database access from inside the
library OR outside the library from patrons
homes or offices.
• A library specific, easy-to-remember web
• Menu page branded with the library’s name
• Direct links to the library’s web page &
• Allows usage statistics to be tracked-the
current demonstration project does not
provide this option
It looks like this….
• Uses a template.
– No customization such as logos or photographs
– No separate pages for branches provided
• Your library must agree to be the primary
contact for support if problems with remote
access occurs at the patron level
Sign me up!
• Fill it out and fax or mail it in
• Russlene Waukechon
Texshare Database Coordinator
• Jay Velgos
Technical Operations Manager