Ph. D. in Physics, Bologna University, Italy (1972)
1975/78 Postdoctoral Fellow, Institute of Physics, University of Bologna.
1978/79 System Analyst, CINECA, Computer Centre, Bologna.
1979/80 System Analyst, ECMWF, Reading, England.
1979/81 System Analyst, CINECA, Computer Centre, Bologna.
1981/87 Research Associate, Dept. of Physics, University of Bologna.
1987/01 Professor of Seismometry, Department of Physics, University of Bologna.
2001/04 Professor of Geophysics, Department of Physics, University of Bologna.
2004- Full Professor of Geophysics, Department of Physics, University of Bologna.
Member of the International Tsunami Commission (IUGG)
Former Member of the Commission on Natural Marine Hazards (IAPSO/IUGG) (1992-1996)
Member and Former Vice-President of the Tsunami Society
Co-ordinator of the Working Group “Tsunamis in the European Seas and in the Atlantic Ocean”
of the EGS (1988-1992)
Chairman of the Interdisciplinary Working Group on Natural Hazards of the EGS (1992-1996)
Former Vice-chairman of the International Tsunami Commission
Member of the Editorial Board of the journal Science of Tsunami Hazards
Member of the Editorial Board of the journal Physics and Chemistry of the Earth,
Member of the Editorial Board of the journal Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences,
European Geoscience Union
Co-ordinator of the project GITEC (Genesis and Impact of Tsunamis on the European Coasts)
in the period 1992-1995. The project has been carried out in co-operation among Italy, United
Kingdom, France, Portugal, Greece, Norway in the framework of the European programme on
Co-ordinator of the project GITEC-TWO (Genesis and Impact of Tsunamis on the European
Coasts – Tsunami Warning and Observations) in the period 1996-1998. The project has been
carried out in co-operation among Italy, United Kingdom, France, Portugal, Greece, Norway
and Spain as a continuation of activities of GITEC
Co-ordinator of the INTAS project entitled “Tsunami hazard for the Mediterranean region” in
the period 1997-99, with laboratories involved from Russia (Novosibirsk and Moskow), Spain
Partner in the European project 3Haz-Corinth (2004-2006) with responsibility to study tsunamis
in the Corinth Gulf, Greece.
General Fields of Investigation:
Experimental Seismology, Seismicity, Applied Statistics, Inverse Problems in Geophysics (Gravity
and Seismology), Applied Geophysics, Generation and Propagation of Tsunamis, Numerical
Modelling, Natural Hazards.
Selected publications on tsunamis in the last ten years.
1. Piatanesi, A., S. Tinti, (1998), A revision of the 1693 eastern Sicily earthquake and tsunami,
J.Geophys.Res., 103, 2749-2758.
2. Piatanesi, A., S. Tinti, (1998), Finite-element numerical simulations of tsunamis generated
by earthquakes near circular islands, Bull. Seism. Soc. Am., 88, 609-620.
3. Tinti, S., E. Bortolucci, and A. Armigliato, (1999). Numerical simulation of the landslide-
induced tsunami of 1988 in Vulcano island, Italy, Bull. Volcanol., 61, 121-137.
4. Tinti, S., E. Bortolucci, and C. Romagnoli, (2000). Computer simulations of tsunamis due to
flank collapse at Stromboli, Italy, J.Volcanol.Geoth.Res., 96, 103-128.
5. Tinti, S., A. Armigliato, E. Bortolucci, (2001), Contribution of tsunami data analysis to
constrain the seismic source: the case of the 1693 eastern Sicily earthquake, J.Seismology,
6. Piatanesi A., Tinti S., 2002, Numerical modeling of the September 8, 1905 Calabrian
(southern Italy) tsunami, Geophys. Jour.Int., 150, 271-284.
7. Tinti S., Armigliato A., 2003, The use of scenarios to evaluate tsunami impact in South Italy,
Marine Geology, 199, 221-243.
8. Tinti S., Maramai A., Graziani L., 2004, The new catalogue of the Italian tsunamis, Natural
Hazards, 33, 439-465.
9. La Rocca M., Galluzzo D., Saccorotti G., Tinti S., Cimini G.B., Del Pezzo E., 2004, Seismic
signals associated with landslides and with a tsunami at Stromboli volcano, Italy,
Bull.Seism.Soc.Am., 94, 1850-1867.
10. Maramai A., Graziani L., Tinti S., 2005, Tsunamis in the Aeolian islands (southern Italy): a
review, Marine Geology, 215, 11-21.
List of Collaborators:
Dr. Alberto Armigliato
Dr. Anna Manucci
Dr. Gianluca Pagnoni
Dr. Alessio Piatanesi
Dr. Roberto Tonini
Dr. Filippo Zaniboni