ICT tools ICT is used for Links with framework
Flog entries: The food blog allows students to share new learnings The Engagement Theory (Kearsley G. &
1. Responses to and reflections. Results to individual quizzes are Shneiderman B., 1999) focuses on a social-
food posted up in their individual “flogs” to allow fellow constructivist learning environment where
2. Answers to students to share and comment on each other‟s eating opportunities are promoted for students to
Food Quiz styles. present their work to others and receive
3. Create a Using Google Images or Flicker, students can find In The Big 6 (Eisenberg M., Johnson D., &
balanced images of healthy food that will create a balanced Berkowitz B., 2010) stage 4 of the approach
lunchbox lunchbox. In this activity, students develop basic cut to information problem-solving entails being
and paste abilities and research skills. able to find useful resources and then extract
the relevant information.
4. Responses to With responses, the teacher can assess prior The 8 learning management questions start
questions about knowledge and prior mis-conceptions. It will also set with LMQ 1- what does my learner already
advertising the stage for the advertising element of the lesson know? (Smith, R., Lynch, D., & Knight, B.
journey. A., 2007)
5. Extension The flog is used as a vehicle to extend the students‟ The thinker‟s keys aim to facilitate
activities- thinking and develop creativity and out-of-the-box discussion and promote creativity and
Thinker‟s Keys thinking. flexibility and thus it is very important that
student responses are shared. (Brady L.,
2006, p. 60)
6. Showcase of Allows students to see each others‟ advertisements Exhibiting products allow students to
advertisement bounce ideas off each other and emphasizes
student-centred learning in whole class
learning teaching. (Brady L., 2006, p. 124)
7. Self-reflection/ PMI (de bono, 1994) The PMI coined by Edward De Bono is used
Evaluation as a reflection tool here. This allows
students to evaluate their own learning,
creating a platform for self-directed
1. Food Gallery Students watch a video of visually appealing food This video is used as a hook in the start of
and record their reactions. The images are found on the lesson to get the students interested and
the net and consolidated into a video with audio and curious to investigate their eating styles.
animation to keep the students engaged.
2. How to use a Students watch videos that explicitly show how to As stated in The Big 6, stage 3 (location and
thesaurus and use a thesaurus in Microsoft word and operate Movie access) includes students knowing how to
Movie Maker Maker. access technology expertise both in person
instructional and virtually. (Eisenberg M., Johnson D., &
video Berkowitz B., 2010)
3. Culminating Students use Movie Maker to make a video As stated in the Engagement Theory, the
activity- making advertisement that is used in the Healthy Lifestyles learning journey should have an outside
a video Event authentic focus with the objective to create
advertisement something useful to donate to society.
Learning has a real-life purpose. (Kearsley
G. & Shneiderman B., 1999) Therefore the
advertisement is used in a Healthy Lifestyles
Event to promote healthy eating.
Learning objects: Learning objects show how elements of the Marc Prensky, in a publication titled Digital
L1297 Garage Beat advertisement (language, font, colour, placement, Game-based learning (2003) advocates that
Advertisement layout, sound) is used to „colour‟ the advertisement. “highly effective learning tools are the
This would have been impossible to illustrate with combination of most compelling and
L297 Fashion pen and paper! Students choose and play around with interactive design elements of the best video
Advertising the above elements to see the difference it makes to and computer games with specific curricular
the advertisement! content”.
L6172 Ad Campaign-
This learning object allows you to identify the factual
and opinion words in an advertisement.
Power point: The power point allows the teacher to model and As this is an English unit, the reading and
“Persuasion Strategies” expose persuasion strategies. writing process (Pearson & Gallagher, 1983)
power point recognizes modelling/demonstration as the
beginning to explicitly teach declarative
knowledge or procedural processes needed.
Search Students search for images and information using Big 6 (Eisenberg M., Johnson D., &
engines/hyperlinks: search engines like Google and information sites like Berkowitz B., 2010)- Stage 3- Location and
Google Wikipedia. As these are school computers, controls access- Students locate and use appropriate
Wikipedia are already set and therefore teachers are assured that information technology resources available
Health related websites students are not venturing into inappropriate sites. through the Internet.
Woolworths Health related websites are given to guide student‟s
Word document Students open up word documents to fill in charts Big 6 (Eisenberg M., Johnson D., &
and read spelling lists. Berkowitz B., 2010)- Stage 4- Use of
1. Spelling words information- Know and be able to use the
2. 5 food groups software and hardware needed to view and
table open documents.
3. Nutrient table