Discussion Questions on
Horton Hears a Who
1. At the beginning of the story, what was unusual about the speck of
dust that blew past Horton?
2. What does Horton mean when he says, “A person’s a person no
matter how small”? What can you learn from what he’s said?
3. Why did the monkeys take the clover to the eagle?
4. Give a reason why the other animals in the jungle would not
believe Horton when he told them about Who-ville.
5. Use details from the story to describe where the eagle dropped the
clover. Explain why it was a terrible choice.
6. How many clovers did Horton have to pick before he found the
clover with Who-ville? Would you have looked that long if you
had been Horton? Explain why or why not.
7. What did Horton tell the mayor of Who-ville he had to do so the
clover wouldn’t be boiled in Beezle-Nut oil?
8. What is a shirker? Why was the shirker in Who-ville causing a
serious problem? How did the shirker solve the problem?
9. Do you think Horton was more worried about himself being put in
the cage or the Who-ville clover being boiled? What details in the
story support your answer?
10. What was your favorite part of the story? Explain why it is your