APPLE DUMPLINGS (Baked in Sauce)
½ cup sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. nutmeg (optional)
2 Tbsp. margarine
1. Mix sugar, cinnamon & nutmeg.
2. Cut in margarine and set aside.
2 ¾ cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2/3 cup shortening
1 cup milk (a little less than 1 c.)
4 sliced apples
1 cup sugar
1 ½ cups apple or pineapple juice
½ tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. nutmeg
3 Tbsp. margarine
Hot syrup directions:
1. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and stir over medium heat until dissolved.
1. Measure flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Stir well to blend.
2. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.
3. Add milk all at once and stir with fork until flour is well moistened.
4. Turn out onto lightly floured board and knead gently 3 or 4 times.
5. Roll dough into 12 x 12”, ¼” thick. Divide into 4 squares.
6. Peel, core, and slice apples in half.
7. Place one apple in each square.
8. Sprinkle with Topping. (The apples may be cut up and mixed with the Topping.)
9. Roll up dough around each apple and place them in a pan.
10. Pour hot syrup over dumplings.
11. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes until tops are lightly browned.
12. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.