HistCon Guide 2009-10

Document Sample
HistCon Guide 2009-10 Powered By Docstoc
					                                HISTORY OF CONSCIOUSNESS INFORMATIONAL GUIDE
                                                 September 2009

People, Places and Numbers
All campus phone numbers contain the “459” prefix. If calling from an on-campus line to another campus line, simply dial the
extensions listed below (e.g., 9-2757). If calling from an off-campus location to a campus line, dial the entire prefix (e.g., 459-
4450). If calling from an on-campus line to an off-campus line, dial “6” and then the number.

Quick Reference
Department Manager, Anne Spalliero                    HUM 1, 415                 9.2757
Department Chair, Barbara Epstein                     HUM 1, 432                 9.4738
Director of Graduate Studies, Barbara Epstein         HUM 1, 432                 9.3489
Division of Graduate Studies, Kris West               283 Kerr Hall              9.4108
Graduate Admissions Information                       2nd Floor Kerr             9.2510
Financial Aid                                         205 Hahn                   9.2963
         Graduate Advisor, Francie Pena                                          9.4393
Registrar’s Office                                    90 Hahn                    9.4412
Disability Resource Center                            146 Hahn                   9.2089
Parking Office (TAPS)                                 H Barn                     9.2190
Student Health Center                                 McLaughlin Drive           9.2211
Student Business Services                             203 Hahn                   9.2107
Community Rentals Office                              104 Hahn                   9.4435
International Services                                Classroom Unit 107         9.3550
Women’s Center                                        Cardiff House              9.2072

History of Consciousness Graduate Student Spaces
Graduate Lounge                                       HUM 1, 445                 9.1671
Graduate Offices                                      HUM 1, 437-438, 115e
Graduate Computer Lab                                 HUM 2, 366                 9.5160

History of Consciousness Faculty
Gopal Balakrishnan                                    HUM 1, 434                 9.4650
Jim Clifford                                          HUM 1, 429              
Angela Davis       (Emerita)                          HUM 1, 430                 9.5332
Barbara Epstein                                       HUM 1, 432                 9.3489
Donna Haraway                                         HUM 1, 433                 9.4738
David Marriott (on Sabbatical 09-10)                  HUM 1, 435                 9.5239
Hayden White (Emeritus)                                                       

NOTE: You may leave messages for any faculty member housed in Humanities 1 at Humanities Academic Services; email or call 459-1924.

History of Consciousness Website
HistCon website:
HistCon Graduate Student Handbook:

Campus Directory
Search online for individuals at:

The Campus Directory, updated annually by the Office of Communications and Technology Services, contains information about
UCSC campus organizations in addition to telephone numbers, titles, campus, email and sometimes home addresses of all campus
faculty and staff. Or you can purchase a copy at the Bay Tree Bookstore.

Other Campus Publications

UCSC General Catalog

The UCSC Catalog is revised annually and contains a complete list of academic programs, both graduate and undergraduate. It
also includes information about advising and support services; research programs and facilities; the ten residential colleges and
student life; undergraduate admissions, expenses and financial aid; and graduate education (including information on graduate
student admissions, expenses and financial support). Courses offered at UCSC are described in detail as well as teaching staff and
their academic qualifications. You can purchase a copy at the Bay Tree Bookstore.

Graduate Student Handbook
The Graduate Student Handbook is published annually by the Division of Graduate Studies. It is a compilation of useful UCSC
information and graduate student requirements and regulations. Appendices include Academic Senate Bylaws pertaining to the
Graduate Council, Graduate Division Regulations of the Santa Cruz Division of the Academic Senate, and Charter Bylaws of the
UCSC Graduate Student Association. You will receive a copy at the new Graduate Student Orientation.

Graduate Division TA Handbook
The UCSC TA Handbook is available to new teaching assistants and includes UCSC-specific materials as well as general teaching
and practical suggestions for the classroom. The handbook goes into issues such as student diversity, narrative evaluations,
teaching evaluations, and responsibilities of teaching assistants. You will receive a copy at the New TA Orientation sponsored by
the Graduate Division.

Campus Handbook
The Campus Handbook, The Navigator, is updated annually by the Offices of the Registrar and Student Services. It is a directory
of academic and student services for undergraduates. For a TA counseling undergraduates, this book is indispensable. It includes
information about academic and administrative procedures, student services, and student life. It also contains information that
will be interesting to a graduate student. For example, details on child care, media services, libraries and restaurants. You can
purchase a copy at the Bay Tree Bookstore.

Schedule of Classes
The online Schedule of Classes accessed through MyUCSC is the most up-to-date version (see “MyUCSC” section). Published
quarterly by the Registrar’s Office, the Schedule of Classes contains details about registration, the academic and administrative
calendar, academic program and telephone listings and orientation schedules in addition to the listing of courses scheduled each
quarter. It also lists the class numbers you will need to enroll in classes each quarter, with the exception of independent study
courses. These class numbers are available from the Department Assistant in the HistCon Department. You can purchase a copy
at the Bay Tree Bookstore.

Getting Started: What You Need To Know First

Student ID Numbers
You are assigned a student ID number for your duration at UCSC. For privacy reasons, this ID number is not your social
security number. This number starts with a letter and is followed by seven digits. It is printed on your ID card and is used for all
university transactions. For the university’s libraries, an additional library number is assigned that is also printed on your ID
card. This fourteen digit number is only used for library purposes.

Student ID Cards


Bay Tree Building, 1st floor, (between the Copy Center and the Express Store)

Office Hours: 8:00am – 5:00pm

Priority Graduate Division Services: September 7-11, 2009
All campus access begins: September 19, 2009

This office provides picture identification cards for both students and a variety of campus units. Cards are available for pickup at
ID Card Services the day after the photo is taken. All students receive their first ID card free of charge when they enroll at
UCSC. Lost or stolen ID cards are replaced for $20.00. ID cards that are damaged, broken or need changes are exchanged for
$5.00 (this includes change of name, photo, or college). The old card must be presented at the time of service. Payment is
accepted in cash or check form only.

Present your validated ID card for access to:
Santa Cruz Municipal and UCSC Bus Systems
All UCSC Libraries
UCSC Recreation Facilities

ID cards are not valid until you get your quarterly validation sticker from the HistCon Department Manager.

MyUCSC: Your Access to the UCSC System
After you have your student ID number, you can access your UCSC life at:

MyUCSC provides students, faculty and staff access to a personalized portal full of campus resources.
Through MyUCSC, students can update personal information, register for classes, check grades, read news and updates, see
account balances, take care of financial aid and much more. Faculty and TAs have access to enter student grades and evaluations,
and pull class rosters. After logging in to MyUCSC, you will see:

         *        Academic news and other announcements
         *        Menus providing access to a number of UCSC services
         *        An Academic Calendar
         *        Tips and information about customizing your page

Your “User ID” is your student ID (it is case sensitive) and you will be required to have a password. If you have problems
accessing the portal, please see “Information Technology Services” below.

Accessing & Using Your UCSC Email Account
Students are assigned a UCSC ID upon enrollment. Students can activate their pre-assigned UCSC ID through the web portal at
MyUCSC: To use a campus email account, computing and networking resources, you must have a UCSC ID
Account. If you don't know your UCSC ID, you can look it up in the directory:
If you don't know your UCSC ID password, please call the ITS Support Center at (831) 459-4357.

Information Technology Services
For a list of ITS services:
ITS Help Desk
9-HELP (4357),
Kerr Hall Rm. 60 - Students
Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 5:00pm

Keys for the HistCon graduate spaces are available for check out through the HistCon Department Office in HUM 1, rm. 415.
Email Anne Spalliero ( make sure keys are available for pick-up.

The graduate student mailboxes are located in the HistCon Department Office, HUM 1, room 415.

Your address for off-campus correspondence is:

                  Your Name
                  History of Consciousness Department
                  University of California, Santa Cruz
                  1156 High Street
                  Santa Cruz, CA 95064

Sending and receiving on-campus mail should be put in manila envelopes. All that is needed is the name of the person and the
mail stop for which s/he is located. There are separate bags within each college’s faculty services for on-campus and off-campus
mail. There are also on-campus and off-campus mailboxes throughout the campus grounds and in the HistCon Department

FAX: Students can send and receive a fax at the HistCon Department Office: 831.459.3733

Getting Around Campus: Parking, Buses & Bicycles

Parking Sales Office, H Barn
Office Hours: Monday – Friday, 7:00am – 5:00pm
General Information: 9-2190,
Graduate Permit Application and Information:

Main Entrance Kiosk Hours: Monday – Friday, 7:00am – 8:30pm
Parking Map: (available at the Main Entrance Kiosk)

To get to the Parking Sales Office, proceed through the campus Main Entrance, past the red kiosk, and up the hill to the traffic
signal at Coolidge Drive and Physical Plant. Turn right at the signal, take another immediate right, and proceed to the end of the
road. It’s located in the H Barn next to the ten minute parking zone.

Faculty and staff, visitors and guests, may purchase one-day “A” permits for local parking lots, one-day “R” permits for the remote
lot, one-night parking permits valid from 3:30 PM to 8:30 PM and one-night permits valid from after 3:30 PM until 3:30 PM of
the following day. at the Main Entrance Kiosk. For the cost of these permits, please see page three of the parking rates here:

There are numerous parking options for graduate students (e.g., annual, quarterly, quarterly limited day, carpool, motorcycle, and
scratch-offs). Please take the time to look through all of your options. These can be found on the second page here: Depending upon how often you park on campus, it may be cheaper to
purchase a permit such as “Quarterly Limited Day” each quarter along with a ½ pack of “Scratch-Offs” than it would to purchase
an annual pass. You are able to mix and match throughout the year, so taking the time to figure out what works best can save

By showing your validated ID card, you can ride any Campus and/or Santa Cruz County Metro Bus free of charge. Bus
scheduling information can be found at the following websites or phone numbers:

UCSC Day and Night Transit Routes & Schedule:

Santa Cruz County Metro Route Schedule:
METRO Information: 425-8600 (TTY 800-894-9908)

Metro Night Owl Bus Service:
On Friday and Saturday nights buses operate on the 16 University Laurel Street route until 2:25 am and on the 19 University
Lower Bay route until 2:55 am. Sunday through Thursday nights buses operate on the 16 University Laurel Street route until 2:00
am. From certain areas of town you may also get a ride by using the dial–a–ride option. Dial–a–ride service areas include
downtown Santa Cruz, River Street locations, the Boardwalk area, West Santa Cruz locations, and the area between Mission
Street and campus. Call Metro at 831–426–6738 to request dial–a–ride service.

Commute Solutions, Santa Cruz County:
AMBAG- Monterey & San Benito County:
RIDES- For Bay Area Commuters:

Map for Bicycles, Pedestrians & Equestrians:
Bike Resources:
UCSC 2008 Draft Bike Plan:
All bikes operated on the UC Santa Cruz campus and in the city of Santa Cruz must be registered with a current California
bicycle license. Unlicensed bikes on campus are subject to citation. New licenses and renewals are $3.00 payable at:

        OPERS Bike Maintenance Clinic                Main Entrance Kiosk                 TAPS Sales Office
        East Field House Porch                       Monday - Friday                     Monday - Friday
        Thursdays, 2:00pm – 5:00pm                   10:00am – 5:00pm                    7:00am – 5:00pm
        During Academic Quarters

Bikes on Buses
Bikes are allowed on the following UCSC transit routes; the Loop (both directions) and on Night Perimeter buses traveling east
to west from the campus Main Entrance to the West Remote parking lot. Bikes can be loaded and unloaded at all stops along
these routes; buses are equipped with front–loading bike racks that carry two bikes at a time. Bikes are not allowed inside buses.

Bike Shuttle
TAPS operates an award-winning bicycle trailer and shuttle from Olive Street, next to the Mission Street Longs Drug Store, on
weekday mornings. Cyclists can load their bicycles on the trailer and catch a ride on the shuttle van up to campus. On–campus
bikes can be unloaded at the Physical Plant Metro Stop on the lower campus, and at the Engineering 2 Circle on the upper
campus. Between the trailer and the van front carrier rack, 14 bikes can be carried on each trip.
During Summer the bike shuttle operates on 30 minute frequencies between 7:10 a.m. and 9:40 a.m., Monday through Friday.
Trips depart from Olive Street at :10 and :40 after the hour.
A printable (pdf) flyer is available.

See the website for more information.

Questions about the TAPS Bike Shuttle? Call 831–459–3228 or send an email inquiry (

Bike Parking
Current UCSC code states that bicycles “...shall not be parked, stood, or locked against any light post, stair railing, ramp, or any
portion thereof, nor shall they block in any way curb cuts, ramps, or paths of accessible travel. Bicycles shall be parked in bicycle
racks provided; those parked elsewhere may be impounded.” The bicycle owner will be responsible for all costs associated with
this action, including the citation, an impound fee, and the cost of removing the bicycle from where it is locked.

Bike racks can be found at transit and shuttle stops, and near most major buildings on campus. For more information, or to
request additional bike racks, contact the TAPS maintenance supervisor at 9–5146.

Computer, Printing & Copying Access

HistCon Computer Lab
There are six computers available for use in the graduate student spaces. One in HUM 1, room 445 and five in HUM 2, rm. 366
(the HistCon computer lab). There are a total of six Mac computers. These computers have Internet access and are networked to
printers. The two rooms also have wireless Internet service available. Since the computers are shared, please be courteous as to
how you may save your material on them. In an effort to not jam up the desktop with icons, each graduate student should create a
folder for themselves on the desktop and save all their material in their respective folder. The use of portable memory sticks
and/or drives are highly encouraged. For computer support, please contact or 9.4357.

HistCon students have their own key to this room. (It is important that students lock the room when they are leaving the room
empty.) You will need to provide your own paper for any printing in the computer labs. Please be paper conscious and print your
materials double sided when possible. Recycling for used paper is located in both offices and there are recycle bins within the
hallways of Crown. At this time, there are no copying capabilities within the graduate offices. If toner becomes low, please
contact the department for re-orders.

Computer Labs & Copying Machines
There are computer labs at each of the colleges, see for locations and details. Printing within the computer
labs can only be paid by billing your student account. This requires your activation of your UCSC email account (see “Accessing
& Using Your UCSC Email Account”). Each college also has a copying machine within one of its buildings, usually in one of the
common areas. These machines will take change ($0.15 a copy) or a Slug Card copy card ($0.08 a copy, see “Libraries” section
below for how to obtain copying cards).

The Copy Center
Monday – Friday, 7:30am – 10:00pm

The Copy Center is located in the Quarry Plaza next to the Bay Tree Bookstore. There is a self-serve copy machine that takes
change ($0.15 a copy) or a Slug Card ($0.08 a copy). You can also have them copy your materials for $0.25 a copy. Due to
copyright laws, they can only make one copy of the article(s) or partial book(s) (must be less than 70% of the book) per person.
This service is same day, sometimes it is while you wait, but usually it takes a couple of hours. This is the only service that
provides color copies.

Graduate Student Commons
Front Desk: 9-1557
Diane Brooks, Facility Manager: 9-1395
Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 4:00pm

The Graduate Student Commons is located within the Quarry Plaza above Joe’s Restaurant. There are computers and printing
capabilities within the graduate commons. Please see “Graduate Student Commons” section below for further details of this
graduate service.

Hours of Operation Vary:
For Computer, Printing and Copying Information:

There are two libraries on campus: McHenry Library and Science & Engineering Library. Both have computer, printing and
copying capabilities. Printing cards and copy cards are separate cards and cannot be used interchangeably.

To print at the libraries, you must purchase a Xerox Print Card. Library Print Cards can be purchased at McHenry Library from
the dispenser near the Government Publications Desk on the 2nd floor or at the Science & Engineering Library from the
dispenser on the main level in the S.H. Cowell Room. The dispenser accepts only $1 bills (cost of card: 50¢; value toward prints:
50¢). For adding value, the dispenser accepts $1, $2, $5, $10, & $20 bills. This dispenser DOES NOT accept coins and DOES
NOT give back change. Use exact dollar amount you would like added to your card, maximum value that can be added is $25.

For copying, you must purchase a Slug Card. Slug Cards can be purchased from a vending machine in the McHenry Copy
Service on the third floor (the room where the self-service machines are) and in the Copy Room next to the Circulation desk of the
Science & Engineering Library. Cards can be purchased for $1 ($0.75 for the card with $0.25 worth of copies on it). Additional
value can be added through the card vending machine or at the copiers themselves. The card dispenser accepts $1, $5, $10 and
$20 bills, but no coins. The copy machines accept all coins as well as bills.

Home Computers

For Modem Services:
The UCSC campus community can dial in to the campus network and Internet over the public telephone network. Express
modems limited to 10 minutes and general access connections are available. ITS modems adhere to the V.90 standard and connect
at the highest speed your phone line will permit, up to 56 Kb. Graduate students may connect up to 70 hours per week.

Regardless of your home internet connection, you can connect to the library proxy, SlugLink. SlugLink is a remote access service
that allows off-campus users to use online electronic library resources as if they were on campus. For this service, follow the
directions at:

Important Logistics & Responsibilities

Teaching Assistants (TA)

The first step in ensuring that you are properly hired and paid on time must be done through the department of hire. The
department notifies the division and the paperwork is initiated at the divisional level.* Please be aware that until you have
received a written offer from the dean and officially accepted the offer you will not be put on the payroll.

The paperwork must be done prior to the quarter that you begin your TAship. Please be sure to specify that all
payroll-related documents be sent to you at your home department. The University offers a direct deposit option which we highly
recommend; please be sure to specify on your payroll paperwork if you want your check to be direct deposit. If opting for direct
deposit, please bring a blank check to your appointment so that the procedure can be set up with the Division. Since paper
earnings statements have been discontinued as of September 2007 you will be accessing your statements electronically. The
HistCon Office will send you instructions on how to do this in due course.

You will be paid in three equal paychecks for each quarter that you TA. For example, fall quarter TA appointments receive
disbursements November 1, December 1 and January 1. Checks are sent to the HistCon Department office.

* Most HistCon students TA within the Humanities, Social Sciences, and Arts Divisions.

Graduate Student Researchers (GSR)
If you have a GSR appointment sponsored by a faculty member, the necessary paperwork must be arranged by the faculty
member you will be working for and that faculty member will submit it to the Staff Manager of the relevant division. It is always a
good idea to double check with the faculty member to ensure the paperwork is completed and submitted in a timely manner.

If you have a GSR appointment outside of the department or outside the humanities division, please let Anne Tuttle know and be
sure to follow up with the faculty member to ensure that the paperwork is completed and submitted in a timely manner.

Check disbursement for GSRs may run on a different schedule depending upon how long the appointment is for, but they are
usually similar to that of the TAship disbursement. These checks or direct deposit slips are also put into your mailbox for pickup.

Note that HistCon GSRships are generally not connected to a particular faculty member, i.e., the student will be doing his or her
own research rather than that of a faculty member.

Disability Leave

Disability time is provided for TAs who give birth during the quarter that they are assigned to TA. TAs are entitled to paid leave
totaling six weeks: two weeks before their due date and four weeks after their due date. For further questions about pregnancy
leave and/or other disability leave, please contact Anne Spalliero at or 459-2757.

Change of Address
If you move, get a new phone number or change your email, please do the following:

         (1)       Change your information on your student portal
         (2)       Inform the HistCon Department directly.
         (3)       Inform the library (as they have a different system from the student portal)

Leaving Town during the School Year
If you are going on a vacation during the school term other than regular breaks, it is good policy to let the following people know
in advance that you are leaving so that you can collectively plan ahead and address any upcoming deadlines:

         (1) The faculty member that you are working for (TA or GSR)
         (2) The HistCon Department
         (3) The Professors that you are taking courses with

Leave of Absence
For All Graduate Forms:
Leave of Absence Form:

All students are encouraged to maintain continuous registration so as to make steady progress toward the degree. A student
wishing to apply for a leave of absence (to take effect at the beginning of the next academic quarter) must complete the “Leave of
Absence” application form, available from the Division of Graduate Studies (link above) or the HistCon department. The
signatures of your faculty graduate advisor and the HistCon Chair are required. The approved form should be submitted to Anne
Spalliero for review who will then submit it to the Division of Graduate Studies.
Only students in good standing are eligible for an approved leave of absence. A student on academic probation must ordinarily
repair all deficiencies in order to qualify for a leave.

Leaves of absence are granted for sound educational purposes, health reasons, financial problems and family responsibilities.
Other reasons require extra justification.

The maximum term for an approved leave of absence is three academic quarters. Students on leave are required to report their
plans to the Graduate Division at least once a year.

A request to renew a leave of absence must be submitted in advance to the Graduate Dean; substantial justifications and
department approval will be required to obtain renewal.

While on a leave of absence, a student is not permitted the use of University facilities.

All financial aid (including teaching assistantships, graduate student researcherships, and fellowships) terminates when a student
is on a leave of absence. If a student accepts any University employment, staff or academic, while on a leave of absence, it must be
reported to the Division of Graduate Studies.

For further information see “Academic Progress” and “Withdrawal from the University” in the Graduate Division’s Graduate

Students on an approved leave of absence will automatically be readmitted effective the quarter of return indicated on the
“Request for Leave of Absence Form”, unless there are conditions placed on readmission by the department, the Graduate Dean,
or the Health Center.

Students wishing to reenter UCSC who are not returning from an approved leave of absence must file a readmission form with the
Division of Graduate Studies and pay a readmission fee (see A “Statement of Legal Residence” form must
also be completed and sent to the Office of the Registrar. Obtain and file these forms in the Division of Graduate Studies at least
six weeks prior to the beginning of the quarter in which you plan to re-enroll. See Academic and Administrative Calendar for specific

Registration in Absentia

Students whose research or study requires them to remain outside the state of California for the entire quarter are normally
eligible for a 50% reduction in the established Registration Fee and a waiver of local campus fees. Such students are required,
however, to pay the Educational Fee required of all students. Students paying the reduced fee are not entitled to library or health

If you wish to petition for this reduction in the Registration Fee, please fill out the “Application for Reduced University
Registration Fee”, available from the Division of Graduate Studies, and present it to your department for approval. Once
approved, return it to the graduate office for the dean's signature. A petition to register in this status must be completed each

This form should be completed and approved as far in advance of the anticipated quarter as possible to ensure that the billing
statement lists the reduced fees. If, however, you receive a billing statement designating full fees, enclose payment for the reduced
amount, enclose a copy of your completed application for reduced fees or a letter stating that such an application is on file, and
send the payment in on time.


Every graduate student who undertakes course work or an examination leading to a degree from the University must register.
Registration consists of paying all required fees, consulting with your designated academic adviser, selecting and enrolling in
classes, and updating, as necessary, your personal data. Course enrollment is handled through AIS web enrollment system:

The last day to register, even with a late fee, is the end of the second week of instruction. If you are a continuing student and are
registering late, pay fees due as shown on the billing statement in person at the Cashier's Office. Be prepared to pay the late
registration fee.

Full-time graduate students must be enrolled in at least 10 graduate units. Once advanced to candidacy, full-time graduate
students must register for 5 graduate units. However, the History of Consciousness Department requires all of its students to be
enrolled in 12 units (10 academic units and 2 units of Advising). Only students who have officially applied for and been granted
part-time status may be enrolled in fewer units (8 is the maximum for part-time status).

Failure to register for the required full-time amount will affect your financial aid, TAships, GSRships and fellowships. Please
contact your faculty graduate advisor and Anne Tuttle if you have any questions or concerns about the full-time graduate course


Students who are Graduate Student Researchers or receiving University fellowship support normally have all in-state fees paid
for them.

Students who are Teaching Assistants have their medical, dental and in-state fees paid for but are responsible for their graduate
student fees (currently $308 per quarter). TAs may arrange to have the fees deducted from their TAship by completing a payroll
deduction form available at Graduate Studies or the HistCon office.

Students who are not TAs may arrange for a deferred payment plan with the Office of Accounts Receivable, 203 Hahn Student

If you receive financial aid through UCSC, the fees will be deducted from your loan amount in your student account. Students
may also elect to pay the fees by check. Questions should be directed to Graduate Studies, 247 Kerr Hall 2.

Financial Support

Extramural Support
The advantages of obtaining support from national foundations and federal agencies, both for the recipient and for UCSC, are
numerous. For the recipient, a major award can mean greater freedom to pursue his or her own studies, relieved of the time-
consuming responsibilities involved in graduate student research and teaching assistantships. And the prestige attendant upon
winning a national fellowship competition should not be overlooked. Having a national organization's stamp of approval can make
a difference in the competition for attractive research and teaching positions later on, not to mention crucial postdoctoral
The campus also benefits when one of its students wins an outside fellowship. Each such award constitutes recognition both of the
institution and the particular program, and may smooth the way for future applicants from that school or program.

Intramural Support (Merit Based)
The Office of Graduate Studies administers a limited amount of financial support for graduate study in the form of fellowships and
grants. These funds are distributed to individual departments, which distribute the awards. Recommendations for fellowships are
made by the departments and are based on merit as well as financial need. Receipt of an award in the first year of study does not
guarantee continuation of support in succeeding years. Students wishing to work on campus concurrent with the receipt of a
fellowship must obtain the approval of the Graduate Dean. If you hold a non-UCSC fellowship, you cannot also hold a UCSC
fellowship of any kind without the approval of the Graduate Dean.

If you receive a TA, GSRship or fellowship in addition to need-based financial aid, the Financial Aid Office will consider these
awards when allocating their resources. This could result in a revised financial aid award.
From time to time, special notices of fellowship competitions administered by the Graduate Studies Office will be distributed to
your department.

Fellowships are disbursed to students quarterly via the student's UCSC billing account. Disbursement does not occur until the
student is enrolled in at least 5 units. Funds first offset tuition, fee, on-campus housing and other UCSC charges for that term.
Credit balances are paid to students by the Office of Accounts Receivable either via electronic fund transfer (EFT) to the
student's bank account or via check mailed to the student's mailing address beginning the first day of each quarter.

For an application for EFT or more information regarding the fund disbursement process, contact the Student Business Services
at 203 Hahn, 9-2107.

Intramural Support (Need Based)
Financial Aid:
Francie Pena, Graduate Advisor:

Graduate students are encouraged to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for support from the
Financial Aid Office as well as from their academic departments. This form may be filed beginning January 1 prior to the
academic year in which you are requesting. To receive loan support for fall quarter, the FAFSA should be submitted no later than
June 1.

The Financial Aid Office processes the FAFSA, verifies data by requesting supporting documentation and determines financial
need. The academic departments allocate all aid (except student loans) to graduate students. The Financial Aid Office determines
eligibility for Federal Direct Student Loans for students who request them. This typically happens during the month of August
after the Financial Aid Office has received notification from the academic departments regarding all other financial awards made
to students. However, students may apply for loans any time during the academic year. Adjustments to loan awards may be made
in winter and spring quarters for students who receive additional support from academic departments for these quarters.

An otherwise eligible graduate student must also be in good standing, enrolled in five credits or more, and making satisfactory
academic progress to receive federal student loans.

Loan funds are disbursed to students quarterly via the student's UCSC billing account. Disbursement does not occur until the
student is enrolled in at least 5 units. Funds first offset tuition, fee, on-campus housing and other UCSC charges for that term.
Credit balances are paid to students by the Office of Accounts Receivable either via electronic fund transfer (EFT) to the
student's bank account or via check mailed to the student's mailing address beginning the first day of each quarter. For an
application for EFT or more information regarding the fund disbursement process, contact the Student Business Services at 203
Hahn, 9-2107.

Student Loan Interview Requirements
If you will be receiving a student loan while attending UCSC, federal regulations mandate that you complete an ENTRANCE
INTERVIEW. Entrance Interviews may be completed on line at You may also have an in person Entrance
Interview at the Office of Student Business Services, call 9-4699 to schedule an in person Entrance Interview. If you receive a
loan and do not attend the interview, a hold will be placed on your enrollment and all financial aid funds until you satisfy the

If you have already attended an entrance interview at UCSC you do not need another. If you are transferring to UCSC from
another school, and have already attended an entrance interview, you can satisfy this requirement by providing the Office of
Student Business Services with a photocopy of the entrance interview form you signed at that school. Mail a copy to:

                                   Student Business Services
                                   University of California
                                   1156 High Street
                                   Santa Cruz, CA 95064

If you receive a loan while attending UCSC, you will be required to complete an EXIT INTERVIEW before you leave school for
any reason (graduation, transfer to another school, or withdrawal). Failure to complete the exit interview may result in a HOLD
on your academic transcript. See for exit interview information. You may also schedule an individual

Student Loan Deferment
While in school, your student loan payments are deferred. If you need documentation to verify that you are registered and
enrolled, a certification for the current academic year will be produced while you wait at 190 Hahn Student Services from 9:00 am
to noon. Be prepared to present valid photo identification. Certifications requested after noon will be ready for pickup after 1:00
pm the following business day.

If you need a certification of student status to defer a federally insured student loan, your request for deferment will be forwarded
to the National Student Loan Clearinghouse for processing. Most lenders contact this agency directly for confirmation of student
status. An informational flier is available at the Registrar's Office.
Requests for scholarship agencies must be submitted first to the scholarship assistant in the Financial Aid Office, who will route
them to the Registrar's Office for completion.

State Farm Insurance and Mercury Insurance Good Student discount applications are completed by the Graduate Dean's Office.

All other requests, including those for past academic years and those received by mail, are processed in the order received, usually
within five business days of receipt.

Please provide a stamped, addressed envelope for each certification that you ask us to mail. Requests received by mail must
include your written consent for the release of the information to the outside agency.

Please note:
There is no official way to convert narrative evaluations to grades and compute a grade point average.
You must be enrolled in at least 10 credits (not advanced to candidacy) or 5 credits (advanced to candidacy) to have full-time
status. Half-time status is 5 credits. Enrollment in fewer than 5 credits is considered less than half time.

For car insurance offering good student discounts to students with a certain G.P.A. or class ranking, the Registrar's Office can
only certify that you are in good academic standing and making satisfactory progress towards a degree.

Summer Loan Requests
Continuing graduate students may request student loans for enrollment in UCSC Summer Session courses. To request a
loan, contact the Financial Aid Office after you enroll in summer session. For further information about summer session see

Dave Keller, Director of Residential Family and Program Support Services
125 Hahn Student Services

Graduate Housing:
Graduate Family Student Housing:
Off –Campus Housing:

Degree Schedule & Requirements

Residence & Course Loads
The graduate program will require a minimum of six quarters in residence at UCSC preceding the qualifying examination. Before
taking the qualifying examination, students will be expected to enroll for 10 course credits per quarter.

The Annual Review of Student Progress is performed at the end of each spring quarter. Your course work will be evaluated by
the department and you will be advised of your prospects for success. Students who consistently fail to make progress may be
asked to leave the program, put on academic probation, or dismissed from the program.

Language Requirement
The History of Consciousness Department has a language requirement that must be fulfilled before a student may take the
qualifying examination. Please refer to the HistCon Grad Student Handbook for full details.

Required Seminars
Entering students are required to take HISC 203A, Approaches to History of Consciousness, and four other History of
Consciousness seminars during the first two years.

TA Seminar & Graduate Colloquium
All students who are teaching assistants will be required to attend workshops in which pedagogic and substantive issues will be
considered; these workshops typically take place during the new students’ first quarter in residence. All graduate students will be
expected to attend graduate colloquia with notable visitors brought to campus for public lectures and presentations.

Students have the option to obtain a parenthetical notation (much like a “minor”) in another department. Each department has
specified criteria for obtaining a parenthetical. As of Fall 2009, it is possible for HistCon students to apply for the notation in
American Studies, Anthropology, Latin American and Latino Studies, Literature, Philosophy, Politics, and Sociology. If there is
a department that you would like to obtain a parenthetical from, please contact Anne Spalliero, Department Manager, to inquire
about the status of that department’s parenthetical possibilities. Information on criteria for each of the above parenthetical
notations is available in the History of Consciousness office.

History of Consciousness Qualifying Exam
HistCon graduate students are encouraged to take the qualifying exam (QE) during their third year in the program although, with
the approval of the student’s advisor and QE committee, it can be taken earlier. Financial Aid rules require that students be
advanced to candidacy by the end of the fourth year at the latest.

Please refer to the History of Consciousness Graduate Student Handbook for complete details on the qualifying essay and

QE Committee and Procedure
The QE is administered by a faculty committee selected by the student in consultation with her/his advisor, and approved by the
graduate director and the Graduate Council. The examination committee will be composed of four faculty, at least one of whom
must be a member of the UCSC HistCon faculty. The other three members may be from HistCon, other UCSC departments or
other UC campuses, as appropriate.

For more detailed information see the History of Consciousness Student Handbook at

Bureaucratic Formalities
The necessary paperwork must be submitted in order to proceed with the QE and to advance to candidacy. This paperwork
affects your academic standing, financial aid opportunities and billing amounts. You must consult with Anne Tuttle, Department
Manager, about the paperwork that needs to be completed and submitted to the Graduate Division prior to the QE and
immediately after you have completed the QE.

Committee Nomination of PhD Qualifying Exam:
Report on Qualifying Examination:
Nominations for Dissertation Reading Committee:

All three of these forms are completed by the Department Manager.

Dissertation Prospectus
The dissertation prospectus is required to be submitted to the Qualifying Examination Committee with the qualifying essay.
Again, please see the handbook for details.

Progress on the Dissertation
Dissertation & Thesis Preparation Guidelines:
Dissertation & Thesis Guidelines Powerpoint Presentation:

Upon advancement to candidacy, the student may begin formal work on the dissertation, with the assistance and oversight of the
Thesis committee. Advanced students generally focus on thesis research but are free to take a seminar if desired. Students have
nine quarters in which to finish the dissertation. The completed thesis must receive the signed approval of the dissertation
committee and must be filed with the Graduate Division. You must either be a registered student or on Filing Fee the quarter in
which your degree is to be conferred. In order to be eligible for filing fee, a student must have been either on an approved leave of
absence or registered in the previous quarter. If the Ph.D. degree is not awarded within seven years from the date of
Advancement to Candidacy, the student's candidacy shall lapse and the student will be required to pass a new qualifying exam
prior to submitting the dissertation or undergo such other formal review as the student's department shall direct, and the result of
this examination or review shall be transmitted in writing to the Graduate Council.

There is no defense of the dissertation in the History of Consciousness program.

MA Degree
Our program is intended to lead to a Ph.D.; there is no separate MA Program. All curricular requirements are aimed at preparing
students for timely and successful completion of a doctoral dissertation. However, all students will be eligible to receive an M.A.:
see the History of Consciousness Student Handbook for more details.

Teaching Policies & Opportunities

TAing Outside the Department
Since the department offers only a few undergraduate classes, the majority of our students apply for TAships outside of HistCon.
If you are in need of a TAship or are pursuing parentheticals in other departments, it is necessary to apply for TAships outside of
the department. Applications for campus-wide TAships are provided by the graduate division late in the winter quarter. The
HistCon staff circulates the list of available University wide TAships and the application paperwork at that time. They are usually
due back into The Graduate Division in mid-April. If you have not seen any of the listings by the end of March, please contact
Anne Spalliero.

Teaching Summer Session Courses
Graduate students who are advanced to candidacy (or expect to be advanced by the summer) may apply to teach courses in
Summer Session. This call for proposals usually circulates early in fall quarter. A proposed syllabus of the course and a cover
letter of application are due to the Department in early October. If approved by the HistCon Department, the proposal will be
forwarded to the Summer Sessions Office around late October. If you are interested in this and have not seen any call for
proposal by October 1, you should contact Anne Spalliero or your Faculty Advisor for details.

Teaching Fellows
Early in fall quarter advanced students are invited to propose an undergraduate course for the following year. Students should
prepare the course and bring it to their advisors for comment. After examination of the materials, the faculty will select up to four
proposals; the students will then be given directions as to how to have their courses approved and appointment files will be

Teaching at Community Colleges
Graduate students who have advanced to candidacy or hold an advanced degree can apply to be an instructor within the
numerous community colleges and California State Universities that populate the Bay Area, Monterrey Area, Santa Cruz Area
and San Jose Area. Job announcements do circulate through the department from time to time and you can always go onto the
colleges and universities websites to see their listings.

Assistance & Support

Upon entrance to the program, you are assigned to a HistCon faculty member until you select you official faculty advisor (usually
by the end of the first year of the program).

Graduate Student Association
202 Graduate Commons

As a graduate student, you are a voting member of the Graduate Student Association, which is located in the Student Center. The
GSA promotes your general welfare through administrative representation and is responsible for the promotion of extracurricular
activities on campus.

Graduate students from each department elect a representative to the GSA Council, which coordinates graduate student activities
and their funding, as well as provides financial support for graduate student conference travel (see for information on how to apply for travel grants). The Executive Council recommends
graduate students for appointments to University Committees and speaks to the administration on GSA- related issues.
Information concerning GSA meeting times and agenda items can be obtained by viewing the above link, calling or emailing the
GSA office.
Graduate Student Commons
Front Desk: 9-1557
Diane Brooks, Facilities Manager: 9-1395
Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 4:00pm

The Graduate Student Commons is located within the Quarry Plaza above Joe’s Restaurant. The GSC is a space for graduate
students to work, meet and hang out. The Governance Board is responsible for enacting policy governing the usage of the GSC.
The GSCGB always welcomes input from the graduate student community.

Currently, the GSCGB has proposed the following policies:

The building, specifically the upper floor, will be for the primary use of registered graduate students and graduate alumni.
Undergraduates may have access to the upper floor if accompanying a registered graduate student or if attending a graduate
student organized event (e.g. TA office hours).

The study rooms on the upper floor are primarily for quiet activity. They may be reserved according to the following guidelines:

        (1)      Campus organizations consisting only of graduate students may reserve these rooms up to 4 hours per week, for
                 any date during open hours in the current academic year.
        (2)      Individual graduate students may reserve rooms for academic purposes (e.g. TA office hours, academic meetings,
                 practice talks, study sessions) up to 2 hours per week for the current quarter, starting the first day of each
        (3)      Individual graduate students may reserve the rooms for non-academic purposes up to 2 hours per week, up to a
                 month in advance. Non-academic reservations will be considered only after the first full week of the quarter.
                 This is to ensure that academic reservations receive priority. The purpose of the reservation must primarily
                 target graduate students.
        (4)      All other campus affiliates may reserve space on a case by case basis, if the event is primarily targeting graduate
                 students. All such reservation must be made 2 weeks in advance. A usage fee may be charged.

Rooms which are not occupied by the reserving party will be held for no more than 15 minutes after beginning of reservation time.

Rooms may only be reserved for staffed hours, except for special event.

The Fireside Lounge may only be reserved with the approval of the facilities manager.

Reserved rooms must be left as found. The individuals reserving a room and/or their sponsoring organizations may be charged for
damage or significant cleaning.

Reservation requests can be made on-line ( or with GSC staff in

After-hours access is available to all registered graduate students using the magnetic stripe on your student ID card. In order for
your card to work, you need to go to the front desk of the Graduate Student Commons to contact the Facilities Manager or via
email at Note that propping the doors open in the evening is not permitted and could result in losing 24 hour

The Commons maintains a library of DVDs, an overhead (transparency) projector, a digital LCD projector, and various
computer-related peripherals. It also manages the Graduate Student Association's laptop checkout program (see ).

Teaching Assistant Union- UAW Local 2865
UAW Local 2865 - Santa Cruz
310 Locust St., Suite B/Mailbox 2
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
Phone: 423-9737, Fax: 423-3606,

UAW Local 2865 is the union representing over 12,000 Academic Student Employees - Tutors, Readers, and Teaching Assistants
- at the nine teaching campuses of the University of California. As for all employees, wages, benefits, workload, grievance
procedures, and fair hiring processes are important issues of concern for graduate and undergraduate students working at the
University of California. Through the Union, we have the right to bargain with the UC over our working conditions and to have a
say in the policies that affect us.

Union fees are automatically deducted from your paycheck once you register for the membership in the union.

Please contact any of the campus stewards for further information:
District 1: Jesse Sabe-Kitchner, Sara Smith, Jake Metcalf
District 2: Sarah Clifthorne, Allison Luengen
District 3: J. Guevara, Adam Hefty, Shannon Brownlee

UCSC Resources for Minorities
For a Full List of Organizations & Centers:
The following is a sampling of resources available at UCSC.

The Women’s Center
Roberta Valdez, Director
Cardiff House (Near the Entrance of Campus)
Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 5:00pm

The Women's Center's work focuses on retaining students, staff and faculty while promoting their successes within the academy
and beyond. The Women’s Center strives for an inclusive and equitable campus community through advocacy, education and
support services. The Center promotes an understanding of the role and impact of gender in our lives and society. The Center
challenges sexism, racism, heterosexism, agesim, ableism, classism and other barriers that inhibit full inclusion and equal power in
society. They acknowledge and celebrate the diversity and commonalities reflected in our communities.
In efforts to support the stellar academic, social justice, and community building work done by students, staff, faculty and
community members, they offer the following resources: Meeting Space, Library, Art Gallery,
Relaxation and WI-FI & Office Equip. Please contact the above links for further information.

The Lionel Cantú Gay Lesbian Bisexual Transgender Intersex Resource Center
Graduate Student Resources:

The center is near Crown College, for directions:
The overarching goals of the Lionel Cantú GLBTI Resource Center are to provide a comprehensive range of educational,
informational, and advocacy services and to work to create and maintain a safe, inclusive multicultural environment for UCSC's
GLBTI students. The further purpose of UCSC's Lionel Cantú GLBTI Resource Center is to build bridges with GLBTI and
youth organizations in Santa Cruz County; in particular, by providing cultural exchanges and community service learning
opportunities for queer UCSC students.

The center offers numerous support services for graduate students. For example, Queer Grads (, reading
group (Greg Youmans,, student advising, meeting place, mixers, collaboration with GSA, co-curricular
programming, library, study center, lectures, contacts and listserves. Please contact the above links for further information.

Ethnic Resource Centers
African American Resource and Cultural Center
Director Sister Paula Livers-Powell
Voice 9-3207

The AARCC provides a wide range of support programs for African American students and other students. The Center
encourages student participation in campus life, student organizations, academic excellence, and community service by providing
advising, advocacy, mentoring, and leadership training to individual students as they pertain to overall student development
issues. ARCC’s overall goal is to increase the matriculation and graduation rates of African American students at UC Santa Cruz.

AARCC's services include: orientation/workshops, online newsletter, academic and cultural programming, student achievement
programs and Internship and mentorship opportunities.

American Indian Resource Center
Lucio Cloud Ramirez, Program Coordinator
Voice 9-2881

The AARCC plays a key leadership role in creating and maintaining a positive climate for racial/ethnic diversity at UC Santa
Cruz. The center has identified four components of diversity outlined in Dr. Sylvia Hurtados’ book Enacting Diverse Learning
Environments: Improving the Climate for Racial/Ethnic Diversity in Higher Education. The center is committed to focusing on the following
four elements: historical legacy of inclusion/exclusion, structural diversity, psychological climate and behavioral dimensions.

Asian American/Pacific Islander Resource Center
Director Nancy Kim
Program Coordinator Elaine Kam
Voice 9-5349

The AA/PIRC provides and enhances opportunities for developing leadership skills, building a stronger sense of community on
campus, and linking students to community service opportunities. The AA/PIRC offers education and dialogue on issues affecting
Asian American/Pacific Islanders with the goal of addressing students’ multiple and diverse academic, social, cultural, and other
co-curricular needs. Resources include: access information on scholarships, fellowships, grants and events, Library, listserve,
Asian American/Pacific Islander Resource Guide and SNAP! Quarterly newsletter.

Chicano Latino Resource Center
Director Rosalee Cabrera
Program Coordinator Eduardo Cervantes
Voice 9-5608

The CLRC ( El Centro) provides a variety of programs and initiatives that address the issues of retention and matriculation for
Chicana/o Latina/o students. The center provides advocacy, informal counseling, and a number of internship opportunities.
CLRC programs and initiatives include: the Chicana Latina Pipeline Project, Hermanos Brothers, Unión De La Raza and Chisme
quarterly newsletter.

Disability Resource Center
Director Peggy Church,
146 Hahn Student Services

The DRC assists the UCSC campus with equal educational access for students with disabilities. Their goals include: support
retention and graduation of students with disabilities, collaborate with students, faculty, staff and community resources to provide
effective academic services, promote a non-discriminatory campus environment and encourage student development and

They serve about 500 students a year with various permanent disabilities, including: learning disabilities, Attention Deficit
Disorder, visual, mobility and hearing impairments, psychological disabilities, and chronic systemic disorders (e.g. lupus, multiple
sclerosis, diabetes, etc). They also serve students with temporary medical conditions such as those with broken bones or repetitive
stress injuries. Please contact the above links for further information.

Center for Justice, Tolerance & Community
210 Crown College

The Center for Justice, Tolerance, and Community is a cutting-edge, applied research center. Housed at UC Santa Cruz, our
faculty, staff, and associated researchers work with an international mix of community activists, affiliated researchers, and
students. Combining rigor and relevance, the Center provides serious research to elevate the quality of public debate, timely policy
analysis to aid community leaders and decision-makers, and outreach and education to improve public discourse on challenging
Center activities include: extensive research in the key areas of environmental justice, regionalism, and affordable housing,
collaborative projects with community organizations—particularly around capacity building for public-policy debates, major
(free!) public lectures, ongoing interaction with policymakers and decision-makers, maintenance of relevant databases and survey
capacity, and an annual summer institute for Latin American and U.S. Latino organizers and activists. Please contact above links
for further information.

Center for Cultural Studies
118 Kerr Hall

The Center for Cultural Studies at UC Santa Cruz was founded in the Spring of 1988 as a part of the University of California's
President's Humanities Initiative. It is now in its twelfth year. Through an ensemble of research clusters, conferences, workshops,
visiting scholars, publications, film series, and a Resident Scholars Program, the Center has encouraged a broad range of research
in the rapidly evolving field of cultural studies. An external review of the Center in 1993 confirmed the Center's reputation for
innovation, a reputation that has grown steadily, on the campus, in the nation, and abroad.

The international field of cultural studies has emerged from the challenges posed to traditional humanistic and social scientific
agendas by new research strategies in visual studies; anthropology, ethnography, and folklore; feminist studies; comparative
sociology and politics; semiotics; social, cultural, literary, and political theory; science studies; colonial discourse analysis; ethnic
studies; and the histories of sexualities. These challenges, and the new areas of scholarly activity they stimulate, compose the heart
of cultural studies at UC Santa Cruz. Thus, the Center for Cultural Studies' concern is to foster research across divisional as well
as disciplinary boundaries. While based in the humanities, it engages with the "interpretive" or "historical" social sciences, as well
as with theoretically informed work in the arts. The membership of the Center's Advisory Board and faculty/graduate student
participation in its events clearly reflect this cross-divisional agenda.

The Center's activities include:
Resident Scholars program:
Research Clusters:
Conferences, Lectures and Colloquia:

Child Care & Early Education Services
Director Emili willet,
599 Koshland Way
Front Desk: 9-2967

UCSC students are served by several child care and youth programs for children ages 3 months to 12 years.

Campus child care programs give priority to low-income students who qualify for California Department of Education (CDE)
subsidies (free or sliding scale). Fee-for-service spaces at a reduced rate may be available to student parents whose income exceeds
CDE requirements. A separate waiting list is maintained for fee-for-service students and faculty / staff. Enrollment is limited, and
all programs have waiting lists. Call or email to schedule a tour. Early application is encouraged.

Health Center & Insurance
After Hours Care & Facilities:

Walk-In Clinic Hours
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 8:30am - 4:30pm (year round)
Wednesday, 9:30am - 4:30 pm (year round)
Saturday, Closed

Scheduling Appointments
9-2500 or
Appointment Desk, 2nd Floor Health Center, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm
There is a $25.00 fee for missed appointments. Call 459-2500 and select option two 24 hours in advance to cancel an appointment.

Health services available to regularly enrolled UCSC students include general outpatient clinic (by appointment or drop-in
services), laboratory, X-ray, pharmacy, birth control, psychiatry, dental clinic, and immunizations. Many services are prepaid by
registration fees and a charge is made for the others. If you have questions regarding fees, see the Student Health Service flyer
that is available through the Student Health Center, or call General Information at 9-2211.

Insurance Information
General Insurance:
Insurance Office:
229, 2nd Floor Health Center
Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm

All graduate students are covered by the Graduate Student Health Insurance Plan (GSHIP) by virtue of payment of registration
fees. TAs, GSRs and students who have a fellowship that covers fees have GSHIP paid for them.
Questions regarding the coverage and benefits of the program or exempting out of the program should be directed to the Health
Insurance Office.

Counseling Services
Kresge Annex B, Room 101
Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 4:30pm
Counseling And Psychological Services (CPS) offers a variety of counseling services for personal, academic, social, or family
concerns. These counseling services include: individual or personal counseling, group counseling, couples and family counseling,
crisis counseling, and behavioral stress reduction services.
All currently enrolled undergraduate and graduate students at the University of California at Santa Cruz are eligible to utilize on-
campus counseling services free of charge. We also provide services to those in important relationships with the students who seek
our services, such as, a partner, family member(s), roommate, or friend when appropriate. Faculty and staff are eligible for one
session for referral to appropriate services off campus. Students who are UC Extension students are not eligible for CPS services.

How To Make An Appointment (Appointment Services)
Appointments can be made in the following two ways: The quickest way to make a first time appointment is to either visit our
Central Office at the Kresge Annex B, Room 101 or call 9-2628 and you will be assisted by one of the Front Office staff. The
other way to make an appointment with a specific CPS staff member to call that staff member directly - see CPS Staff. It is the
prerogative of the CPS staff member to either accept the referral directly for to redirect the request to the CPS Central Office.

Information that you communicate to a CPS therapist is confidential. The fact that you are seeing a CPS therapist does not appear
on any academic records. Your identity is kept confidential from anyone outside our agency. Please note, however, that in a
professional counseling agency, confidentiality means that psychologists consult with each other as needed regarding any of their
clients. We are also required to keep data on who we see, their year in college, their ethnicity, etc. This statistical information is
necessary for our yearly funding.

Your right to confidentiality is protected by law. However, there are certain circumstances regarding life threatening situations in
which confidentiality may not be protected. These situations are child abuse, suicide, homicide, and cases involving individuals
who are gravely disabled and unable to care for themselves. In such cases the CPS staff member may be legally required to report
to other outside agencies (where appropriate) information obtained during any CPS counseling visit. Except in these situations,
information communicated to Counseling and Psychological Services cannot be released without a student’s permission. If you
would like further information on this subject, your psychologist will be glad to provide it for you.

E-mail Policy
E-mail is not an appropriate medium for contacting psychologists or for personal counseling. Unfortunately e-mail is not always
confidential and can not be guaranteed to be an effective or timely means of communication. In order to contact CPS staff, please
call the central office or the individual psychologist's office.