DISCHARGE GUIDELINES FOR PATIENTS HAVING
ULNAR NERVE TRANSPOSITION SURGERY
• Do not lift anything with your operative arm until told otherwise by your
surgeon or physiotherapist
• Keep your dressing/incision dry until after your follow-up appointment
with your surgeon. Your dressing and any stitches will be removed at this
appointment and further instruction will be given at this time.
• Once your dressing has been removed you may shower. Soap will not
harm your incision. Gently cleanse and pat your incision dry. Do not apply
oils or creams to your incision unless instructed otherwise.
• Take your pain pills as required.
• Drink at least six glasses of fluid per day.
• Resume a normal diet. Eat plenty of fruits and fiber to avoid
constipation. Remember, a healthy diet promotes healing! If you become
constipated, a gentle laxative such as Milk of Magnesia is appropriate.
• Your surgeon will tell you at your follow-up appointment when you may
• Continue with your previous medications prescribed by your family
doctor unless instructed otherwise by your surgeon.
• Your surgeon will direct you as to when you may return to work.
• Call your surgeon if:
- Your wound becomes red, swollen or starts to drain
- You have a fever, chills
- You have increased pain
Ulnar nervc transposition discharge guidelines.doc-word Aug ‘02