CHAPTER 9 TEST PREVIEW
ENERGY IN A CELL
1. Vocabulary: ADP, ATP, chlorophyll, cellular respiration, aerobic, anaerobic, alcoholic fermentation,
lactic acid fermentation, photosynthesis, glycolysis, citric acid cycle (Krebs cycle), electron transport
chain, glucose, PGAL, pyruvic acid, acetyl-CoA,
2. Biochemical pathway (sequence) for cellular respiration and what happens during each step
3. Biochemical pathway (sequence) for anaerobic respiration (2 types of fermentation) and what happens
during each step
4. Conditions for cellular respiration
5. Conditions for anaerobic respiration
6. Number of ATP produced for each of the 4 steps of cellular respiration (and net ATP)
7. Number of ATP produced for each of the 2 steps of each type of anaerobic respiration (and net ATP)
8. Chemical equations for cellular respiration and photosynthesis
9. End products of cellular respiration
10. End products of alcoholic fermentation
11. End products of lactic acid fermentation
12. Where (in the cell) does each of the following take place: glycolysis, intermediate step, citric acid cycle
(Krebs cycle), electron transport chain, alcoholic fermentation, lactic acid fermentation
13. The food most commonly broken down for energy use by your body
14. Nutrient that is used last as a source of energy by your body
15. Where is energy stored in an ATP molecule? How is energy released?
16. Adenosine is composed of what 2 molecules? What kind of molecules are they?
17. When glucose is broken down during respiration, the energy stored in its chemical bonds is used to form
18. How are photosynthesis and respiration related?
19. What would happen on a global scale if plants carried out photosynthesis and respiration at the same
20. What is bromthymol blue an indicator for?
a. If you have a setup in the sunlight that starts blue and ends green, what does that mean in terms
of photosynthesis and respiration? Starts yellow and turns blue.
b. If you have a setup in the dark that starts blue and ends yellow? Starts green and ends blue?