English I - Final Exam Review
Make sure you know……..
1.Which type of figurative language/literary element appeals to the five
2. Define situational irony.
3. A metaphor compares two unlike things without using which words?
4.External conflict happens between a character and an outside force, while
5. internal conflict happens within ___________?
6. The central idea of a story is the _____.
7.What is the plot of the story?
8.What is the high point of a story called?
9. The events leading up to the climax are called what?
10. What comes after the climax of a story?
11. Personification gives inanimate (non-living) things _______
12. What is tone?
13. What is point-of-view?
14. If the main character is called the protagonist, the person
blocking/conflicting with him/her is called what?
15. Two unlike things being compared using like is an example of what type
of figurative language.
Common Elements of a Fairy Tale
1. With what phrase do most fairy tales begin with?
2. Are fairy tales usually new or old tales?
3. How many tries does it usually take to solve a problem in a fairy tale?
4. Are fairy tales supposed to teach something?
5. Are fairy tales fiction (true) or nonfiction (make-believe)?
6. What phrase is used at the end of most fairy tales?
Literary Comprehension – “A Sound of Thunder”
1. What is the name of the time travel company?
2. What are the penalties for disobeying instructions?
3. What type of dinosaur is Eckels hunting?
4.What is the man behind the desk trying to do when he tells Eckels about
something that happened last year going on a safari?
5. Who is the Safari Leader?
6. What does Travis tell Eckels is the best way to kill a dinosaur?
7. When the hunters arrive at their destination, Travis says which events
haven’t happened yet in history?
8. How many years did the men travel?
9. Why must the men stay on the antigravity metal path?
10. Why was it ok for them to kill certain animals but not others?
11. How did the men identify the dinosaur they were supposed to shoot?
12. What terrible mistake did Eckels make when he was on his way back to
the time machine?
13. What awful thing does Travis make Eckels do in order to go back with
14. What is wrong with the sign upon Eckels’ return?
15. What does Eckels find on the bottom of his boots?
16. What changes about the election when Eckels returns from the past?
17. What can we guess that Travis does to Eckels at the end of the story?
Literary Comprehension – “The Cask of Amontillado”
1. What does Fortunato have a lot of knowledge about?
2. During which season does Montressor meet Fortunato?
3. Where do he two men later descend into to find the amontillado?
4. What things are found in the tunnel area of his home?
5. Why was Montressor happy to see Fortunato?
6. What evidence best supports the argument that Montressor is insane?
7. Based on Montressor’s actions throughout the story, what can you
conclude about his personality?
8. From your point-of-view, how does Montresor feel towards those who
have allegedly wronged him?
9. The reader knows Montresor plans revenge, but Fortunato does not know.
10.What type of irony is this?
11. Define Connoisseurship.
12. How does would you describe Fortunato?
13. How does Montressor get revenge?
14. What is amontillado?
15.According to Montresor, what would make his revenge unsuccessful?
16. Who is the author of the Cask of Amontillado?
***Keep in mind and/or briefly review the following stories, novels, and excerpts
from this past year: The Odyssey, mythology, Animal Farm, A Walk to Remember,
Speak, Swallowing Stones, Romeo and Juliet, “A Cask of Amontillado,” “A Sound
of Thunder,” “When I Lay My Burden Down,” “Black Boy,” “Scarlet Ibis,” and
“The Most Dangerous Game”.